PDA

View Full Version : Why do Cub fans rip on our attendance?

Region Sox
06-27-2005, 07:59 PM
Who cares if we have 28,000 there? I am happy if I am the only one or there are 40,000. It doesnt matter

ewokpelts
06-27-2005, 08:07 PM
they noticed our record vs. thier record...

Gene

tschneid83
06-27-2005, 08:29 PM
in my many arguments with cubs fans it always starts out with serious baseball talk and then after I have had a reply for every thing they come up with (and they are usually wrong) they bust something out about attendance. The conversation usually stops there........ This is where ignore mode sets in

C-Dawg
06-27-2005, 09:01 PM
Anytime they think we are going to remind them how the Cubs blew the 3-games-to-1 lead in the 2003 Playoffs (with their two best pitchers coming up in games 6 and 7) or how they lost 8 of the last 10 games in 2004 to choke away their 2-game Wild Card lead, well, they just fall back on the tired, old attendance argument.

Frankly, its tiresome and weak. The Cubs would have mediocre attendance if they ever stopped getting the busloads of tourists who come just to savor the historic architecture and ambiance of Wrigley Field.

Jurr
06-27-2005, 09:15 PM
they noticed our record vs. thier record...

Gene
:rolling: Yup. That pretty much does it.

Uncle_Patrick
06-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Who cares if we have 28,000 there? I am happy if I am the only one or there are 40,000. It doesnt matter

I think that is because they subscribe to the belief that if a lot of people like something, its automatically good. The whole argument seems to be "More people come to Cubs games than Sox games, so the Cubs are a better team." Hey, millions of people bought Britney Spears CDs, does that make her good? You can argue all you want about who has the better record, stats, players, etc. For many people, the Cubs are about the package, not the results. In all fairness, not every Cubs fan subscribes to that belief, and they are not the only team who falls in that category (think how many people like the Yankees and Red Sox because they are the Yankees and Red Sox). However, I think that you will find in times like these, where the White Sox are generally out performing the Cubs, you will find even many diehard fans falling back on the attendence argument. I guess its the one stat Sox fans can't argue with; the Cubs do outdraw the Sox. The question is, as a White Sox fan, do you care? I know that I don't. I've yet to see attendance win a single ball game.

Cellview22
06-27-2005, 09:45 PM
Just tell them we currently have the best attendance in our entire division. They'll probably give you a blank stare.

And then tell them the real attendance contest starts in October and we'll see who has the better attendance figures then. :D:

DrCrawdad
06-27-2005, 09:54 PM
in my many arguments with cubs fans it always starts out with serious baseball talk and then after I have had a reply for every thing they come up with (and they are usually wrong) they bust something out about attendance. The conversation usually stops there........ This is where ignore mode sets in

I must be setting records then 'cos lately Cubbie fans bring up, "The Attendance Game" within 30 seconds from when they find out I'm a Sox fan.

In fact just this past Saturday I'm at a wedding reception in Hinsdale. The 70ish guy manning the banquet hall had the game on the office TV. I walked in and he asked which team I was rooting for, to which I replied that I'm a Sox fan. The VERY NEXT statement was, "The Sox don't get anyone to their games..."

With the Sox doing so well this season I think that most Cubbie fans can't bear to have a positive comment on the Sox so they turn the subject to "The Attendance Game," not out of any real interest in Sox attendance, it's brought up simply as a put-down.

MrRoboto83
06-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Just tell them we currently have the best attendance in our entire division. They'll probably give you a blank stare.

And then tell them the real attendance contest starts in October and we'll see who has the better attendance figures then. :D:

True True, I bet the Flubs don't have the best attendance in their division!

skobabe8
06-27-2005, 10:31 PM

I think thats the winner right there.

I have 5 close cub friends who have been to a combined 3 games. I tell them as soon as they contribute to the cubs attendance like I do to the Sox, they can come talk to me.

zach074
06-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Cub fans can't rip our team or record so they choose attendance.

Hitmen77
06-27-2005, 10:42 PM
They don't care about winning or about the game of baseball - attendance is more important to them. It's a reflection of their own shallowness. It shows you how they really are the worst fans in sports. Can you imagine the fans of any other team bragging when the lose that they have better attendance than winning teams?

Unfortunately, the attendance issue has taken on a life of it's own. It was a real issue a few years ago when the Sox bottomed out after the strike and the White Flag trade. The Sox were "sellers" instead of "buyers" each year because ownership had driven attendance to a low point and the team had to either cut payroll or keep it low. Over the last couple of years, attendance has grown and it is no longer keeping the Sox from being competitive. But, the issue has stuck in the minds of the general public and will not go away anytime soon since mediots and Cub fans keep drilling into everyones head over and over again.

Lip Man 1
06-27-2005, 11:02 PM
Because generally (and history bears this out) the Sox usually perform much better on the field. For example since 1981 the Sox have had 14 'winning' seasons, the Cubs I think have had 6.

There's nothing else factually they can boast about so they use that as a crutch.

Lip

RadioheadRocks
06-28-2005, 12:21 AM
Simple, they have nothing ELSE to rip on! :D:

The Dude
06-28-2005, 01:04 AM
countdown till this thread gets closed........ and banishment for the starter. minus 30 minutes and counting.

Madvora
06-28-2005, 09:33 AM
A good one when asked, "Why don't people go to the Sox games?"

- Well, because 80% of the city chooses to support a losing organization for some reason. That includes you. Why do you go to Cubs games instead of Sox games?

RKMeibalane
06-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Because they have nothing good to say about their own team.

Hangar18
06-28-2005, 09:58 AM
Cub "fans" rip on our attendance because thats what the Media tells them to do
Cub fans cannot think for themselves, which inherently is what you need if you
are to "convince" blue sheep to fill your stadium year after year, and spend millions of their hard-earned dollars. The reasons cub fans give for not liking the SOX are very coincidentally the same reasons the Media keep harping on
year after year. Sure our stadium sucked when it was built, but they couldve
talked about the winning product instead. Now you see why

Hangar18
06-28-2005, 10:07 AM
You can always win an argument with a cubs "fan" with simple knowledge.
thats all. For example:

Cub Sheep: You guys have 1/2 price days cuz you cant fill your own park!
Sox Fan: Our teams gives BACK to the fans with 1/2 prices days. Does
the Tribune do the same? Heck no, they'd rather scalp their own tickets
and re-sell them to you at even higher prices. idiots.

Cub Fan: Sox suck!
Sox Fan: Which one of us is in 1st Place?

Cub Fan: You guys are jealous we have more Tradition!
Sox Fan: You mean like Harry Caray, the 7th-inning stretch, curtain-calls after home-runs? Those are all things that started on the south-side.