PDA

View Full Version : The Amazing ESPN

MIgrenade
06-27-2005, 08:28 PM
White Sox game against Oakland may be pulled due to lack of interest in Sox vs. Dodgers game. This is per WSCR. I'm you guys will love this. Not that I want to hear Joe Morgan.
This is not deffinite but possible.

RKMeibalane
06-27-2005, 09:13 PM
White Sox game against Oakland may be pulled due to lack of interest in Sox vs. Dodgers game. This is per WSCR. I'm you guys will love this. Not that I want to hear Joe Morgan.

Just when you think ESPN get go any lower, they do.

Kogs35
06-27-2005, 09:34 PM
espn sunday night baseball will be in the bay area at sbc park. the white sox game will be at 2:05. but dont worry we can still get games on sunday night baseball like when the red sox come to town or when we visit baltimore, or at boston, and home against the yanks.

lostletters
06-27-2005, 09:40 PM
Lack of interest in possibly one of the best baseball games of the year. Sheesh.

If ESPN is not going to cover the white sox games so be it. Better for the best team in baseball to fly under the radar. They have done a great job with the ESPN neglect.

wsoxfan
06-27-2005, 09:46 PM
lack of interest? did they also happen to forget that game 7 of the NBA finals was on...?:?:

oeo
06-27-2005, 09:47 PM

Lack of interest? Well when you're praising the Cubs during a Sox game, and telling us how much better the Cubs are than the Sox, of course we're not going to be interested in that BS. Go ahead and pull the game, at least we don't have to listen to how great the Cubs are.

itsnotrequired
06-27-2005, 09:51 PM
lack of interest? did they also happen to forget that game 7 of the NBA finals was on...?:?:

Yeah but that was a different network.:tongue:

Jjav829
06-27-2005, 09:56 PM

When are we scheduled to be on ESPN against the Athletics? Both of those series are weekend series. Neither Sunday game is scheduled to be the Sunday night game of the week and ESPN rarely broadcasts Friday or Saturday games.

Kogs35
06-27-2005, 10:00 PM
When are we scheduled to be on ESPN against the Athletics? Both of those series are weekend series. Neither Sunday game is scheduled to be the Sunday night game of the week and ESPN rarely broadcasts Friday or Saturday games.

the sunday oakland game was tba since the season started. ticketmaster had it tba since the season started until this past friday

Huisj
06-27-2005, 10:21 PM

actually, wasn't Sunday game 5? And Tuesday was game 6, and Thursday was game 7?

but yeah, still that had to hurt a bit.

Jurr
06-27-2005, 10:23 PM
I'd rather not see the Sox play on ESPN, and especially not vs. Oakland.

I have a really good winning streak for Sox attendance, and I was EXTREMELY afraid that the Sunday night Dodgers game was going to wreck it. I dodged a big bullet there, thanks to Aaron's heroics.

Back to the point, the Sox have a two or three year streak of sucking on ESPN, so I hope we stay off the damn channel.

Unregistered
06-27-2005, 10:25 PM
Awesome. We play crappy on national TV anyway. Maybe we can ride the "lack of interest" all the way to the World Series, which will be showed on Comcast due to lack of interest.

Talk about under the radar... :cool:

dranny32
06-27-2005, 10:28 PM
The games are better on comcast and wgn rather than espn because you get to listen to announcers who actually know something about the team. And can pronounce Marte correctly.

Stroker Ace
06-27-2005, 10:33 PM
This is not deffinite but possible.Good! I can't stand The Network's godawful broadcasts. And after that piece of s--- flub feature they put on during the last game.

zach074
06-27-2005, 10:38 PM
Back to the point, the Sox have a two or three year streak of sucking on ESPN, so I hope we stay off the damn channel.

You may be more superstitious than the players themselves.:D:

Chicago83
06-27-2005, 10:38 PM
Maybe they dropped this game because of the fact that it is the best team in baseball against one of the worst. They should pick up a game against the Yankees or Red Sox.

Chisox003
06-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Awesome. We play crappy on national TV anyway. Maybe we can ride the "lack of interest" all the way to the World Series, which will be showed on Comcast due to lack of interest.

Talk about under the radar... :cool:

Ha ha...Can you imagine the world series being broadcast on Comcast?

Hawk (And Darrin "Uh Oh!" Jackson) announcing a White Sox world series winner would be something to hear....I sure wouldnt be against it! :gulp:

:hawk
"I Luuuuv being under the radar!"

havelj
06-27-2005, 10:47 PM
They moved the Sunday game to St. Louis at S.F. LaRussa is pissed because he and many Cardinals have to bust ass to get to Detroit the next day for All-Star festivities.

From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:
La Russa's unhappy
La Russa, who will direct the National League All-Star squad in Detroit on July 12 after the Cards wrap up a series in San Francisco, was less than pleased that his team's last game before the All-Star break has been moved to a night game by ESPN. La Russa, his coaches and players won't arrive in Detroit until 6 a.m. or so on the day of the workout and news conferences.

"You would think that ESPN would understand that we have several players who are going to be participating," La Russa said. "I don't know. You would think you would get (the Sunday night) game from a team that's playing the East or Midwest. It's hard to understand."

One baseball official said that the Oakland-Chicago White Sox contest also had been under consideration for that July 10 game but that the White Sox hadn't done well in the ratings the first time they were on a Sunday night ESPN telecast.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/BC0305ABD5AB0BE88625702D0016262B?OpenDocument

CHISOXFAN13
06-27-2005, 11:01 PM
Maybe they dropped this game because of the fact that it is the best team in baseball against one of the worst. They should pick up a game against the Yankees or Red Sox.

Guess you haven't noticed how well the A's have been playing of late.

lukesappling
06-27-2005, 11:03 PM
ESPN only markets the Red Sox, Yankees and Cubs, and the Sox don't have any "superstars". Just goes to show the anti-Sox bias.

CHISOXFAN13
06-27-2005, 11:13 PM
There have been 13 Sunday Night games this season, and the Sox have already been on twice (April 10 and June 19).

There are 30 teams in MLB so to have been on twice this season and be considered for a third before the ASB isn't the biggest tragedy in the world like some are making it out to be.

Hitmen77
06-27-2005, 11:23 PM
the sunday oakland game was tba since the season started. ticketmaster had it tba since the season started until this past friday

Well, then it really wasn't "pulled", was it? It sounds like it was one of several games left open to be selected by ESPN and they're probably going with another game that has also been left as "tba" on schedules until now.

If the Sox/A's game was really being "pulled", then it would have previously been scheduled as the definite Sunday Night Game and then yanked.

I actually didn't hear what they said on the Score, but they reporting this like it sounds, then thanks WSCR for distorting the story to put the Sox in a negative light. What a surprise, a Chicago media outlet wants to paint the Sox in as negative light as possible! Come on everyone, don't you get it yet, no one wants to watch the Sox! Just keep repeating it - drum it into everyone head.....

dcb33
06-27-2005, 11:31 PM
This does not bother me for 2 reasons:

1.) I'm going to the game, and as someone who has to go to work early the next morning, I'm thrilled it's not a 7PM start. I usually don't get home until after 11 after night games and am always worn out the next morning. A 2PM start ensures I will be home by 6 or 7 and will have plenty of time to rest for the start of the week.

2.) The late game involves the manager and several players who will represent the NL in the All-Star Game and they're already complaining about how tired they're going to be. I welcome any advantage this might give the AL since the Sox might be playing for it all come late October.

ChiSoxRowand
06-27-2005, 11:41 PM
I'd rather have it on Comcast or WGN, but it sucks for the out of towners. I'm glad I don't have to hear "Juan Oooribe". God that is annoying.

Kogs35
06-27-2005, 11:58 PM
im suprised espn didnt take boston at baltimore for that game. espn should know that when ur going up against the nba finals ur not going todo whell no matter who is playing

NealCotts4Life
06-28-2005, 12:11 AM
Back to the point, the Sox have a two or three year streak of sucking on ESPN, so I hope we stay off the damn channel. They did just beat the Dodgers with a solid come from behind win the last time they played on ESPN

Foulke You
06-28-2005, 01:55 AM
I'd rather have it on Comcast or WGN, but it sucks for the out of towners. I'm glad I don't have to hear "Juan Oooribe". God that is annoying.
I'm with you ChiSoxRowand. I'm glad that we don't have to hear Jon Miller do his "Oooribe" as well as stressing the wrong syllable in every other word which drives me insane. "Hi, I'm Jon MILler WELCOMING you to us CELLULAR FIELD here on the SOUTH side of chiCAGO. We have quite a PITCHING matchup for you toDAY." :tongue: Not to mention that we will lose out on insightful commentary from Joe Morgan or Jeff Brantley.

I feel bad for the out of towners but I for one, will be thankful for the Hawk on Comcast or WGN that day.:cool:

MHOUSE
06-28-2005, 04:26 AM
Screw ESPN, if they want to spend every waking moment evaluating the Yankees day-to-day rollercoaster and talking about whether the Orioles can keep up then let them do so. I can't wait until the Red Sox run away with the east and the Yankees fall out of contention and they run out of stuff to talk about all together. They might end up testing the emergency broadcast system 24 hours a day for "lack of interest" in the rest of baseball.

Mr. White Sox
06-28-2005, 04:35 AM
"Oooribe"

Isn't that the correct pronunciation? I say it like "you-ree-bay" as well, but I believe "OO-ree-bay" is the technically correct way to say his name.

malbert346
06-28-2005, 08:00 AM
One baseball official said that the Oakland-Chicago White Sox contest also had been under consideration for that July 10 game but that the White Sox hadn't done well in the ratings the first time they were on a Sunday night ESPN telecast.

So lemme get this straight. A pitching matchup between Buehrle and Santana on a Sunday night didn't get good ratings. Guess no one knows what's good anymore. It'd be nice to see what kind of ratings that matchup gets later on in the year.

Of course they could've forgotten this and just assumed the Dodgers game WAS the first Sox game on Sunday night this year.

TornLabrum
06-28-2005, 09:03 AM
Isn't that the correct pronunciation? I say it like "you-ree-bay" as well, but I believe "OO-ree-bay" is the technically correct way to say his name.

I don't speak Spanish, but Ozzie Guillen does, and he says "oo-REE-bay."

jdm2662
06-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Fine with me. I hate Sunday night games and ESPN in general. The less ESPN I watch, the better.

The NBA Finals got five times higher ratings then the Cubs-Red Sox game by the way per the Score. I thought everyone cared about the Cubs and Red Sox...
________
Ford Laser Specifications (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Laser)

SoxFan78
06-28-2005, 09:58 AM
This should be great news. The Sox generally play worse on ESPN (not counting the wins vs. Angels and Dodgers). At least we dont have to watch ESPN think of new ways to downgrade the Sox and bring up the team from up north.

Hawk and DJ, or Joe Morgan and the other guy, I think the choice is clear.

ESPN will cover us enough later on in the year, and they will hate every minute of it!!!

mccoydp
06-28-2005, 10:39 AM
I don't speak Spanish, but Ozzie Guillen does, and he says "oo-REE-bay."

I speak Spanish, and that is the correct pronunciation.

FedEx227
06-28-2005, 11:49 AM
The games are better on comcast and wgn rather than espn because you get to listen to announcers who actually know something about the team. And can pronounce Marte correctly.

:hawk

Du-BOSE?

Steakpita
06-28-2005, 11:57 AM
What happens to Hawk and DJ in the case of a playoff appearance? I can sure as hell not take Morgan, Reynolds (GOD FORBID Costas), Brantley and his mullet, and the rest... "Here we are at sold-out U.S. Cellular Field, about a half hour before gametime, and as you can see there are several empty seats in the boxes to our left and right. The Sox have struggled with attendance all year..."

I know Rooney and Farmer will probably still broadcast, but if Hawk ain't goanna be on TV, I have GOT to find out where he is and go sit next to him.

hellenicsoxfan
06-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Good! I can't stand The Network's godawful broadcasts. And after that piece of s--- flub feature they put on during the last game.

I was at that game against the Dodgers. What kind of feature on the cub did those idiots do?

IowaSox1971
06-28-2005, 06:52 PM
White Sox games on ESPN probably don't get strong ratings because the network:

1) Shows relatively few highlights from White Sox games.

2) When Sox highlights are shown, they are given low priority on SportsCenter and Baseball Tonight.

3) Network "experts" constantly degrade any accomplishments by the Sox.

I could go on, but when the network makes promoting our team a low priority, then its ratings are going to be low.