PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Ticket sales--Cubs/Sox

whitesoxwin
06-27-2005, 07:45 PM
I am a partial-season ticket holder who wished to get a couple extra tickets for the Cubs & Sox (June 24-26).
I have done this a few times in the past to get a better seat than the "upper deck--should have been reserved for anybody wearing cub crap" the White Sox ("you partial season ticket holders should just be glad we offer you anything") offer.
The "Sox Charge" person told me : "No sales for this weekend can be taken over the phone"--even for Sox Ticket holders??? Ticket holder keep a "secured" credit card on file so we can get tickets.
Well, this was last Wednesday--June 22nd--I had tickets to the game and, just out curiosity, went to gate 4 (by 35th street) and was able to pick up 3 lower reserved tickets for Sunday's game.
There must have been 250+ people standing in line--a bunch w/ cub crap on.
This could have been handled via "Sox Charge" without the hassle.
At least, allow Sox fans to do what we want with tickets and quit opening the door to these pothetic excuses for mankind--cub fans.
Would the Tribune org do this for Sox fans??
Hell no!!!!
Wake up ReinsdoooooF and think about YOUR fan base.
Anyway, if anybody had the same problem here is the ticket manager: Mike Mazza @ (312) 674-5241.

Oh by the way: I HATE THE FRIGGIN' CUBS, CUBS FANS, WRIGLEY FIELD, THE TRIBUNE...AND ANYTHING CUB RELATED...I WISH SOMONE WOULD DO THE WORLD A FAVOR AND TAKE A WRECKING BALL AND THEN BULLDOZE THE "SHRINE" AND MAKE IT A PARKING LOT....this weekend really sucked!!!!--except for friday.

GO SOX

TimoandAaron
06-27-2005, 08:07 PM
parking lot

itsnotrequired
06-27-2005, 08:21 PM
parking lot

Hell, skip the Parking Lot. To the Roadhouse!

ewokpelts
06-27-2005, 08:52 PM
but a lot of st holders were blocked from getting tix...i always buy my tix in june for my buddies and me (planned to take my gf's dad and bro to the sunday game in lower reserve), but was told this year that nothing was left, but then i hear that lower deck tix were sold at the box office 3 days before the game? c'mon sox....

Gene

Cellview22
06-27-2005, 09:03 PM
My question is: how did all the Cubs fans get tickets?

It's just frustrating not being able to get your hand on tickets, yet you see half of the people in the scout seats (even the first row) and the rest of the stadium wearing blue and cheering wildly for the Cubs.

I'm almost glad I didn't go though. The growing hatred and disrespect between the 2 fanbases is getting out of hand.

soxwon
06-27-2005, 10:44 PM

It's just frustrating not being able to get your hand on tickets, yet you see half of the people in the scout seats (even the first row) and the rest of the stadium wearing blue and cheering wildly for the Cubs.

I'm almost glad I didn't go though. The growing hatred and disrespect between the 2 fanbases is getting out of hand.

cub fans can afford scout seats, sox fans can't
flub fans dont mind spending$

scottjanssens
06-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Chill dude. I got my extra tickets when I bought my split plan. Individual games hadn't even gone on sale yet.

CHISOXFAN13
06-27-2005, 10:58 PM

This might be the dumbest post I have ever seen. You must love seeing your posts in the Roadhouse, huh?

kevingrt
06-27-2005, 11:11 PM

It's called North Shore people, with too much money buying the crazy prices put up by ticket brokers.

ewokpelts
06-27-2005, 11:22 PM
but the issue is that cub fans were getting tix for FACE AT THE BOX OFFICE.....

The Dude
06-27-2005, 11:40 PM

:tealpolice:

And if that wasnt intended to be in teal....then you sir are an ignorant ****

shoota
06-27-2005, 11:50 PM
So Boyer limited the number of Sox/Cubs games we Sox fans could buy in the 9 and 13-game plans, reasoning that he didn't want Cub fans in our park that series, all while allowing walkup ticket sales to Cubs fans.

I knew that excuse was a lie the second I heard it. White Sox fans are definately not Brooks Boyer's first priority.

Blueprint1
06-28-2005, 03:36 AM
Why do some people think all sox fans are poor?

thepaulbowski
06-28-2005, 08:26 AM

I'm glad you realize my financial situation. :rolleyes: Your casting of stereotypes is a bad as the media's. Great insight.

dickallen15
06-28-2005, 08:35 AM
I tried to get tickets through the soxcharge and was told I would have to go to box office as well. I suppose since season ticketholders are given an opportunity to purchase extras for these games earlier, they don't allow additional buying. My beef was I purchased extras in December, 6 months before these games,and my extra tickets were in the 18th row of section 557. Then people were buying 8 tickets at a time for upper deck boxes one week before the game and putting them on ebay, which is what I requested but told they didn't have any more available in December.

kevingrt
06-28-2005, 09:12 AM
Why do some people think all sox fans are poor?

I do not think all Sox fans are poor. Rather I think if you compare them to the average Illinois person they probably have a higher income on average. But if you compare the average White Sox fan to the average Scrubbie, who do you think has a higher average income.

Living in the "North Shore" area, I believe everyone is a Cub fan except my family. It is kind of scary, because they know nothing about the team, or at least most of them don't, but they seem to have tickets to every game. Whether it's at the Urinal, Miller Park, or The Cell.

DumpJerry
06-28-2005, 09:22 AM
I don't mind seeing Flub fans at Comiskey, ever. They are giving us money to sign FA's that we would not otherwise have in hand when they buy tickets for games that are not sellouts. Not only do they buy tickets, but their beer purchases far exceed any we would make.

This is a good reason to not go to the Urinal, don't fund the Flubs!

soxwon
06-28-2005, 06:02 PM
I'm glad you realize my financial situation. :rolleyes: Your casting of stereotypes is a bad as the media's. Great insight.

im saying cub fans have been paying for those $250 seats for a few years now.
they dont seem to mind spending money foolishly.
sox fans are more conservative.
Who here has sat in those Scout seats?
and did you pay with your own money?
not a companys, where it's a tax write off.
i know ill never be able to afford to sit there!!!
one seat for one game is tantamount to a third of a season ticket or so.

im not casting sterotypes.
Most cub fans are yuppies, most sox fans are not.
yuppies spend money quicker than those who are more blue collar.
i know there are sox fans who are yuppies, and sox fans with money.
but overall we work very hard for our Pay.

steff
06-28-2005, 06:16 PM
but the issue is that cub fans were getting tix for FACE AT THE BOX OFFICE.....

Oye ve...

Folks.. from what I remember the Sox release unclaimed tickets for every game in 3 waves.. 24 hours before the event (sometimes as early as 48 hours), the morning of, and friends and family 40 (or so) minutes prior to game time. This is nothing new.. they are tickets that were reserved by players, workers, or cancelled ticketmaster sales (or credit card declines) that are given until a designated time to claim their tickets and if they aren't claimed, then they are sold. This was not the Sox holding tickets.. this was nothing out of the ordinary.. it was dumb luck that tickets were avaliable. I knew they were selling at the BO Friday morning and directed at least 30 people there and they got tickets for all 3 games.

steff
06-28-2005, 06:17 PM
So Boyer limited the number of Sox/Cubs games we Sox fans could buy in the 9 and 13-game plans, reasoning that he didn't want Cub fans in our park that series, all while allowing walkup ticket sales to Cubs fans.

I knew that excuse was a lie the second I heard it. White Sox fans are definately not Brooks Boyer's first priority.

LMAO.. so you think the PR guy sets the ticket selling rules.

Good grief.. :dtroll:

steff
06-28-2005, 06:19 PM
im saying cub fans have been paying for those $250 seats for a few years now.
they dont seem to mind spending money foolishly.
sox fans are more conservative.
Who here has sat in those Scout seats?
and did you pay with your own money?
not a companys, where it's a tax write off.
i know ill never be able to afford to sit there!!!
one seat for one game is tantamount to a third of a season ticket or so.

im not casting sterotypes.
Most cub fans are yuppies, most sox fans are not.
yuppies spend money quicker than those who are more blue collar.
i know there are sox fans who are yuppies, and sox fans with money.
but overall we work very hard for our Pay.

Unreal. :dtroll:

soxwon
06-28-2005, 06:22 PM
Unreal. :dtroll:

jeez louise- forget it, drop it.
movin on.

maurice
06-28-2005, 06:23 PM
Didn't we have a thread re. ticket releases right before the series, Gene?
It might be annoying, but you shouldn't have been surprised.

whitesoxwilkes
06-28-2005, 06:31 PM
I've come to the following conclusions after reading this thread:

1) Gene (Ewokpelts) is to ticket sales as HomeFish is to the team's on-field play. Dark clouds everywhere and everyone's out to get him.

2) Brooks Boyer is rapdily becoming a catch-all for any matters related to the team. Sooner or later, this is going to annoy the crap out of him. Brooks is a MARKETING guy.

The Wall
06-28-2005, 06:37 PM
Its funny someone brought this ticket sale thing up. I tried getting opening day tickets online about 2 months ahead of time and couldnt get any. So about a week before opening day, I was driving by the box office and I stopped to ask them if they had any. The guy sold me a couple and told me that had a couple more thousand left!!!!

ewokpelts
06-28-2005, 06:38 PM

1) Gene (Ewokpelts) is to ticket sales as HomeFish is to the team's on-field play. Dark clouds everywhere and everyone's out to get him.

2) Brooks Boyer is rapdily becoming a catch-all for any matters related to the team. Sooner or later, this is going to annoy the crap out of him. Brooks is a MARKETING guy.
hey!
I doubt everyone's out to get me. Only these two tools:
:reinsy
:tool

As for dark clouds, I'm not as pessimistic as you think I am. Just dissapointed. I spend quite a bit on the sox(Season tix, organizing groups) and it sucks that I wasnt offerred tix like in previous years, but cub fans were able to buy at the box office TWO DAYS before the game. I was , however, able to secure a skybox for a customer for the sunday game the previous tuesday. Too bad the customer flaked out and I never ordered the box(would have been guranteed one for 2006). I take it with a grain of salt. I just know that I need to take orders earlier for next year.
Gene

p.s. I actually post a lot about ticket discounts. I'm all for getting as many people in the door as possible.

shoota
06-28-2005, 06:47 PM

I'm pretty sure Boyer was the one who instituted the changes in the ticket/seating costs.

Boyer was asked about the new scaling ticket prices for certain teams and all weekend dates after Memorial Day. His smiling, proud response was something like this: "My job is to get as much money to KW as I can so he has enough to build the best team he can."

I don't think it's a stretch to surmise that he is the one also responsible for all of the changes on the Sox 9 and 13-game plans. IE, limited number of Cub games a Sox fan can purchase; limited number of half-price dates; forces Sox fans to purchase tickets over every month, and not when the Sox fan desires, etc.

People rip on Gallas, and with good reason, but Gallas didn't rip off Sox fans on tickets. I love what Boyer has done in his time here, and I would rate him higher than Gallas is almost every way.

Boyer has the reputation of being fan-accesible and fan-friendly, but the most important way to be fan-friendly is to not rip off Sox fans. Raising ticket prices is to be expected; Boyer's financial changes are unacceptable.

ewokpelts
06-28-2005, 06:59 PM
I'm pretty sure Boyer was the one who instituted the changes in the ticket/seating costs.

Boyer was asked about the new scaling ticket prices for certain teams and all weekend dates after Memorial Day. His smiling, proud response was something like this: "My job is to get as much money to KW as I can so he has enough to build the best team he can."

I don't think it's a stretch to surmise that he is the one also responsible for all of the changes on the Sox 9 and 13-game plans. IE, limited number of Cub games a Sox fan can purchase; limited number of half-price dates; forces Sox fans to purchase tickets over every month, and not when the Sox fan desires, etc.

People rip on Gallas, and with good reason, but Gallas didn't rip off Sox fans on tickets. I love what Boyer has done in his time here, and I would rate him higher than Gallas is almost every way.

Boyer has the reputation of being fan-accesible and fan-friendly, but the most important way to be fan-friendly is to not rip off Sox fans. Raising ticket prices is to be expected; Boyer's financial changes are unacceptable.obviously you forget the gallas cub/sox policy in 1997......the ONLY way tickets were sold were in 4 packs(3 crap games and 1 cub game)..the policy, however, flopped, and tickets were later sold individually....

as for brooks, His 9/13 game policy is decent. There are discounted tickets in the plans, and the plans were seen as a way to STOP cub fans from buying all the key games(flubs, bosox, yanks, dodgers) like they were able to in the old 7/9 packs....
Gene
Gene

UofCSoxFan
06-28-2005, 08:29 PM
How does money equate into being a Cub fan? That sort of stereotype pisses me off. Not to mention the thought that people that have money a) somehow did not work for it (I have SOX fan I-banker friends that work 90 hours a week) b) throw their money around frivilously and c) shouldn't be able to pay market prices for tickets (this is America isn't it?). I mean if someone is willing to pay 1000 bucks for a ticket he should have the right to do so, and more importantly someone should have the right to sell it to him.

At the same time, I know for a fact that Bank of America Investment bank oftern takes clients and employees to Sox games.

I hate Cubs fans as much as anyone but it isn't because of where they live or how much money they have.

shoota
06-28-2005, 10:21 PM
obviously you forget the gallas cub/sox policy in 1997......the ONLY way tickets were sold were in 4 packs(3 crap games and 1 cub game)..the policy, however, flopped, and tickets were later sold individually....

as for brooks, His 9/13 game policy is decent. There are discounted tickets in the plans, and the plans were seen as a way to STOP cub fans from buying all the key games(flubs, bosox, yanks, dodgers) like they were able to in the old 7/9 packs....
Gene
Gene

I understand the concept of keeping Cubs fans out of Comiskey, but that policy is not consistent with what you said you experienced in this thread.

Judging by the thousands of Cubs fans at Comiskey this past weekend, I don't think it's possible to keep Cubs fans out of Comiskey. It's a losing battle.

I would prefer not to have Cubs fans at Cubs/Sox games, but it's not more important to me than for us Sox fans to have the ability to buy more than one Cubs/Sox games at Comiskey. As I said in post #12, "White Sox fans are definately not Brooks Boyer's first priority."

I understand Boyer's concept of keeping Cubs fans out of Comiskey, but that is not a bigger priority than a single White Sox fan.

steff
06-28-2005, 10:41 PM

I'm pretty sure he's not. The guy offers ideas.. he doesn't set policy.

And Mike.. you're right. I feel so badly for him that he's so nice to everyone that emails him.. but gets slapped in the face if the toilet paper is too rough.

Typical though..

And very sad.

steff
06-28-2005, 10:42 PM
jeez louise- forget it, drop it.
movin on.

No, I wont. I think I have every right to respond when you insult the fan base I am a part of.

steff
06-28-2005, 10:48 PM
Judging by the thousands of Cubs fans at Comiskey this past weekend, I don't think it's possible to keep Cubs fans out of Comiskey. It's a losing battle.

I would prefer not to have Cubs fans at Cubs/Sox games, but it's not more important to me than for us Sox fans to have the ability to buy more than one Cubs/Sox games at Comiskey. As I said in post #12, "White Sox fans are definately not Brooks Boyer's first priority."

I understand Boyer's concept of keeping Cubs fans out of Comiskey, but that is not a bigger priority than a single White Sox fan.

You aren't going to keep opposing fans out when they are willing to buy tickets for 5X face value. I was offered $200 PER seat for my tickets on Sunday.. I sat in them.. but many of the ST holders around me did not.

You would prefer not to have Cub fans there.. well.. I suppose when the season ticket base is 38K that will be the case. But them I'm sure you'll bitch cause you can't get a ticket because you aren't rich and can't afford season tickets.. :rolleyes:

As for fans not being Brooks #1 priority... for as many times as he's responded to stupid ass questions and emails posted on this very site that's a pretty stupid opinion.. but you're certiantly entitled. :dtroll:

TheOldRoman
06-28-2005, 10:56 PM
[QUOTE=DumpJerry]I don't mind seeing Flub fans at Comiskey, ever. They are giving us money to sign FA's that we would not otherwise have in hand when they buy tickets for games that are not sellouts. Not only do they buy tickets, but their beer purchases far exceed any we would make.
QUOTE]
That should not be in teal.
I went to the Friday game, and it is the third Sox-Cubs game I have been to. I have been to sell outs where we didnt play the Cubs. The beer lines were AT LEAST double the length on Friday than for any other sell out I have been to.

steff
06-28-2005, 11:04 PM
[QUOTE=DumpJerry]I don't mind seeing Flub fans at Comiskey, ever. They are giving us money to sign FA's that we would not otherwise have in hand when they buy tickets for games that are not sellouts. Not only do they buy tickets, but their beer purchases far exceed any we would make.
QUOTE]
That should not be in teal.
I went to the Friday game, and it is the third Sox-Cubs game I have been to. I have been to sell outs where we didnt play the Cubs. The beer lines were AT LEAST double the length on Friday than for any other sell out I have been to.

And there were plently of Sox fans in those lines.. I don't know about you guys.. but nearly every Sox fan I know can drink an alcoholic under the table if they choose to. :gulp:

CallMeNuts
06-28-2005, 11:16 PM

Boyer has the reputation of being fan-accesible and fan-friendly, but the most important way to be fan-friendly is to not rip off Sox fans. Raising ticket prices is to be expected; Boyer's financial changes are unacceptable.

I doubt Boyer is soley responsible for pricing, but I assume he has a big voice in the structure. But the Sox started doing a better job pricing tickets (from a revenue generation standpoint) in 2004 before Boyer became the Marketing guy. Their first step was to create the Premium Lower Deck Box, which was a pretty steep price increase for the STH between 1st and 3rd. I think that 04 was also the first year that they used different face prices for different games.

In 2005 they broadened this practice. And they added the Scout seats. These were all good moves on the part of management. And it is clear that management is putting a good portion of the additional revenue back into the payroll. There are people / companies willing to pay big bucks to get great seats & extra perks at sporting events. It is absolutely crazy for the Sox management to let scalpers capture the premiums. Creating the Scout Seats gets that revenue into the hands of the team, and part of that revenue finds its way into the payroll. Extract as much money as you can form the folks that are willing and able to pay it.

And there are still plenty of less expensive seats / half price deals available for everybody.

If you browse around MLB.com, looking at other ballpark seating charts and prices, you'll see that the Sox structure is a lot like everybody elses.

Be happy. The product on the field would not be as good if the Sox hadn't figured this out.

ewokpelts
06-28-2005, 11:19 PM
I understand the concept of keeping Cubs fans out of Comiskey, but that policy is not consistent with what you said you experienced in this thread.

i'm not upset with the 9/13 plans....infact, thier success is partly the reason why we're a) having a good year attendance wise, and b) short on cub tickets this year. i bought the remmants of a 9 game package off craigslist right after opening day froma guy in frisco...all he wanted were the cub tickets and he dumped the rest of the games(all in UDR) to me for HALF HIS COST.....mind you, he chose a lot of april/may tuesday games, but i got a good deal nonetheless....and some lucky couple got one of the games free from me cuz the tix overlapped with other tix i bought.....i guess it all works out in the end....

Gene

p.s. the irony of the story? i think that guy from frisco bought his 9 game package AFTER seeing my ad pumping 9/13 game packages! (at the time of my ad, there were guys selling UDR tix for $150 each for the cub series...i promoted the fact that 9 games can be bought for as low as $125 a set)

TheOldRoman
06-28-2005, 11:25 PM
[QUOTE=TheOldRoman]

And there were plently of Sox fans in those lines.. I don't know about you guys.. but nearly every Sox fan I know can drink an alcoholic under the table if they choose to. :gulp:
Oh, I know there were a lot of Sox fans. I was merely saying that the lines were so much longer than during any other sell out because of the Cubs fans. I was in the left field corner in foul territory behind the bullpen, and there was a big group of Cubs "fans" standing at the back of the concourse not paying any attention to the game. I guess they figured they would stand right by the beer line instead of in their seats because it saved them a trip, and the beer is all that really matters. Go Cubbies!

Sox fans like to drink a lot, and thats fine. The biggest difference is, its not considered a PREREQUISTE to attending a Sox game. When talking to Cubs fans, they say "you can't beat going to Wrigley and having a couple (5-10) of Budweisers". Being hammered is part of the "traditional" Urinal experience. I drink beer, but I have never had a beer at the Cell. I don't need to drink to enjoy the game, and I wouldn't spend $5.50 on any beer, let alone Swiller Lite.

steff
06-29-2005, 06:20 AM
[QUOTE=steff]
Oh, I know there were a lot of Sox fans. I was merely saying that the lines were so much longer than during any other sell out because of the Cubs fans. I was in the left field corner in foul territory behind the bullpen, and there was a big group of Cubs "fans" standing at the back of the concourse not paying any attention to the game. I guess they figured they would stand right by the beer line instead of in their seats because it saved them a trip, and the beer is all that really matters. Go Cubbies!

Sox fans like to drink a lot, and thats fine. The biggest difference is, its not considered a PREREQUISTE to attending a Sox game. When talking to Cubs fans, they say "you can't beat going to Wrigley and having a couple (5-10) of Budweisers". Being hammered is part of the "traditional" Urinal experience. I drink beer, but I have never had a beer at the Cell. I don't need to drink to enjoy the game, and I wouldn't spend $5.50 on any beer, let alone Swiller Lite.

I was being a bit facetious.. :wink:

thepaulbowski
06-29-2005, 07:50 AM

Hey I resemble that remark. :cool:

steff
06-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Hey I resemble that remark. :cool:

Well.. we are a determined group. When we set our minds to something we do it 10000%. :D:
I bet many of those "fans" end their nights with their heads in the toilet... :wink:

Baby Fisk
06-29-2005, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=TheOldRoman]

Hmmm...
a) I drink a lot
b) I toss around my disposable income like used kleenexes
c) I happily pay more for better tix

Does that make me... a closet Cub fan?!?! :o: AAAAAAAAA! :thud:

shoota
06-30-2005, 02:16 AM
You aren't going to keep opposing fans out when they are willing to buy tickets for 5X face value. I was offered $200 PER seat for my tickets on Sunday.. I sat in them.. but many of the ST holders around me did not.

You would prefer not to have Cub fans there.. well.. I suppose when the season ticket base is 38K that will be the case. But them I'm sure you'll bitch cause you can't get a ticket because you aren't rich and can't afford season tickets.. :rolleyes:

As for fans not being Brooks #1 priority... for as many times as he's responded to stupid ass questions and emails posted on this very site that's a pretty stupid opinion.. but you're certiantly entitled. :dtroll:

Your response has indicated that you did not understand my point. I'll try to explain it better. You said that "You aren't going to keep opposing fans out when they are willing to buy tickets for 5X face value." I understand and agree with that. My point was that Brooks shouldn't take steps to minimize the number of Cubs fans at Comiskey at the expense of White Sox fans.

As Sox fans, we both would like the the fewest amount of Cubs fans in our park. But as a Sox fan, I value my personal opportunity to buy all 3 Cubs games in a 9 or 13-game ticket package, more than I am discouraged sitting next to a Cubs fan.

Would I prefer no Cubs fans in Comiskey? Of course. But, as you explained, that's not a realistic goal. So therefore, allow the Sox fans the option to buy all 3 games to the intracity series at their home park if they desire, even if the 9 and 13-game ticket plans are available to Cubs fans.

steff
06-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Your response has indicated that you did not understand my point. I'll try to explain it better. You said that "You aren't going to keep opposing fans out when they are willing to buy tickets for 5X face value." I understand and agree with that. My point was that Brooks shouldn't take steps to minimize the number of Cubs fans at Comiskey at the expense of White Sox fans.

As Sox fans, we both would like the the fewest amount of Cubs fans in our park. But as a Sox fan, I value my personal opportunity to buy all 3 Cubs games in a 9 or 13-game ticket package, more than I am discouraged sitting next to a Cubs fan.

Would I prefer no Cubs fans in Comiskey? Of course. But, as you explained, that's not a realistic goal. So therefore, allow the Sox fans the option to buy all 3 games to the intracity series at their home park if they desire, even if the 9 and 13-game ticket plans are available to Cubs fans.

:rolleyes:

ode to veeck
06-30-2005, 06:29 PM
.. but nearly every Sox fan I know can drink an alcoholic under the table if they choose to. :gulp:

and has actually done so on various ocassions

JohnBasedowYoda
06-30-2005, 06:48 PM
and has actually done so on various ocassions

who said my name :gulp: