PDA

View Full Version : NBC-5 Censors SOX fans at Puffers Saturday

Hangar18
06-27-2005, 04:43 PM
There was a mini-blackout on parts of the southside, and Puffers at 33rd & Halsted was affected. The bar was darkened, and all they were able to serve was beer on ice, which was pretty good anyway. We were able to watch the game with the help of a generator in back powering the Lone tv. Sox fans
were cheering when the NBC truck across the street came over to see what was happening. They began to interview the owner, when some of the SOX fans began cheering. The woman, smiled and stopped the report, saying everyone had to be quiet, and no cheering for the SOX. Well, interview began again and of course, it was too "happy" inside, so they stepped outside.

I told the reporter that if this was cubby bear, they wouldve kept the sound
and showed the fans cheering wildly, and inserted a gratuitious "these fans are great" statement. She then gave instructions to the camerman to "pan the crowd" and if anyone cheered or said GO SOX or anything positive, they would stop recording. So whoever saw the tape of that report, and noticed a very subdued and quiet bar, with patrons watching the game,
you know why.

34 Inch Stick
06-27-2005, 05:12 PM
Isn't puffer British slang for something?

itsnotrequired
06-27-2005, 05:13 PM

British slang for someone who smokes.

Hangar18
06-27-2005, 05:14 PM

might be. but its named after the family. They had a good laugh,
realizing the Media doesnt want people to think SOX fans are boisterous
and supportive of their team :smile:

cheeses_h_rice
06-27-2005, 05:15 PM
Maybe -- just maybe -- the reporter wanted to be able to talk and hear herself at the same time? Puffers isn't exactly a large bar.

:rolleyes:

Hangar18
06-27-2005, 05:16 PM

A railroad engineer

shoota
06-27-2005, 05:35 PM
There was a mini-blackout on parts of the southside, and Puffers at 33rd & Halsted was affected. The bar was darkened, and all they were able to serve was beer on ice, which was pretty good anyway. We were able to watch the game with the help of a generator in back powering the Lone tv. Sox fans
were cheering when the NBC truck across the street came over to see what was happening. They began to interview the owner, when some of the SOX fans began cheering. The woman, smiled and stopped the report, saying everyone had to be quiet, and no cheering for the SOX. Well, interview began again and of course, it was too "happy" inside, so they stepped outside.

I told the reporter that if this was cubby bear, they wouldve kept the sound
and showed the fans cheering wildly, and inserted a gratuitious "these fans are great" statement. She then gave instructions to the camerman to "pan the crowd" and if anyone cheered or said GO SOX or anything positive, they would stop recording. So whoever saw the tape of that report, and noticed a very subdued and quiet bar, with patrons watching the game,
you know why.

Something similar happened on a local afternoon news show. I can't remember if it was CBS, NBC or ABC, but there was a news crew interviewing the high school friends of the boy who drowned in a retention pond behind some apartments at a party. I think it was ABC

Two of his friends were wearing Sox hats, and when interviewed for their 6- second sound byte, the camerman cut off the top of their head, so the full Sox logo couldn't be seen on TV.

I knew they were Sox hats from a long pan shot of everybody, and because I can easily spot Sox hats, but not everyone can. Just another example of the media trying to suppress the popularity of Sox fans.

cheeses_h_rice
06-27-2005, 05:53 PM
Something similar happened on a local afternoon news show. I can't remember if it was CBS, NBC or ABC, but there was a news crew interviewing the high school friends of the boy who drowned in a retention pond behind some apartments at a party. I think it was ABC

Two of his friends were wearing Sox hats, and when interviewed for their 6- second sound byte, the camerman cut off the top of their head, so the full Sox logo couldn't be seen on TV.

I knew they were Sox hats from a long pan shot of everybody, and because I can easily spot Sox hats, but not everyone can. Just another example of the media trying to suppress the popularity of Sox fans.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/mryoop789/tinfoil-hat.jpg

Frater Perdurabo
06-27-2005, 06:24 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y32/mryoop789/tinfoil-hat.jpg

I don't think it's a conspiracy against Sox fans, but I do think it demonstrates how "reporters" and "news producers" often select and/or massage quotes, visuals, etc. to fit the story package they want to present. Boisterous Sox fans didn't fit the picture this reporter wanted to present on the TV news. Often times a TV news reporter (print reporters do the same thing) will get lots of quotes with all kinds of information for a story, yet use only those quotes that "fit" the story they want to tell. It's this subtle form of self-editing to conform with corporate/management/advertiser/etc. policy and perceptions that leads to journalism becoming little more than stenography and "following the herd."

SOXSINCE'70
06-27-2005, 08:08 PM
British slang for someone who smokes.

And if you're "pissed" in England,you're not mad;you're drunk.:gulp: