PDA

View Full Version : Sox looking to make a Splash

White Sox Josh
06-27-2005, 04:29 PM
This an article from chisox.com. Makes you think that we might be seeing a big name coming to the Sox this year.
linky (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050626&content_id=1105645&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Ol' No. 2
06-27-2005, 04:35 PM
This an article from chisox.com. Makes you think that we might be seeing a big name coming to the Sox this year.
linky (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050626&content_id=1105645&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)Lotta words, but didn't really say much except that perhaps we can finally stop beating the Eric Chavez horse.

White Sox Josh
06-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Lotta words, but didn't really say much except that perhaps we can finally stop beating the Eric Chavez horse.remember these words:
:KW
I work Under the Radar dudes.

MIgrenade
06-27-2005, 04:38 PM
Lotta words, but didn't really say much except that perhaps we can finally stop beating the Eric Chavez horse.

Agreed, seems to say what everyone here is saying. Unless there is something out there that is too good to pass up, the Sox aren't going to bother. No moves just to make a move.

Chisox003
06-27-2005, 04:39 PM
"Just because there's a big name out there, it doesn't mean we are going to like him or he will fit in here. But don't think for a second that, if I thought [a trade] gets us to the World Series, that we wouldn't aggressively pursue that move."

Never was a big KW fan before last offseason, but Im pretty sure we can trust him...

He has assembled a 50-24 team, afterall :gulp:

DaleJRFan
06-27-2005, 04:42 PM
I really hope that KW and Ozzie work within the organization to fill holes, if they can. Whether or not the talent is there is debatable... but I'd much rather see a young propect come up and kick ass then giving up 3 or 4 quality AAA guys for a rental... just my opinion.

Baby Fisk
06-27-2005, 04:46 PM
I'm no ChiSoxTony, but while all this fuss about Chavez is going on, Kenny has likely been conducting some under the radar activity to procure one or more arms in the coming month.

BeviBall!
06-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Bullpen... perhaps a backup starter. That's all we need.

soxwon
06-27-2005, 05:09 PM
oswalt or jason schmidt guys

dcb33
06-27-2005, 05:17 PM
Bullpen... perhaps a backup starter. That's all we need.

Add a solid, everyday SS to that list.

Oh, and dude, what's the score?

Jurr
06-27-2005, 05:19 PM
I keep seeing all of this Ted Lilly and Jason Schmidt stuff on prosportsdaily.

I hope we don't get TL and his 6.09 ERA. We have that in McCarthy.

DVsoxfan
06-27-2005, 05:26 PM
If Oswalts available... he has to be the guy you go for

MIgrenade
06-27-2005, 05:27 PM
I keep seeing all of this Ted Lilly and Jason Schmidt stuff on prosportsdaily.

I hope we don't get TL and his 6.09 ERA. We have that in McCarthy.

I guess AJ Burnett is on the block (correct me if I'm wrong). I don't know what kind of contract he has but he's good. If KW has a chance to keep him for a while I think he trades away some top prospects for him. I'd rather have another bat personally, but I have no clue who to get.

Hangar18
06-27-2005, 05:27 PM
I like the little jab KW gives, perhaps to that rip-off artist up north Jim Hendry,
when he mentioned making a phone call to remind Bob Melvin that he was getting a future "all-star" (something I also said) in Carlos Lee, and that
" I want to make deals that help both teams.....making it much easier to pick up
the phone the next time and the guy believes what you say".

Jurr
06-27-2005, 05:30 PM
With the Marlins in the hunt, I doubt Burnett's available.

The thing about getting an Oswalt or a Schmidt is the price. It would take a LOAD to get those guys, and it may not make sense with what we've already got. We already have a playoff rotation (unless we need the fourth starter). Do we need to bring up some other stud into the rotation? I'm really on the fence on that one.

DaleJRFan
06-27-2005, 05:31 PM
I guess AJ Burnett is on the block (correct me if I'm wrong). I don't know what kind of contract he has but he's good. If KW has a chance to keep him for a while I think he trades away some top prospects for him. I'd rather have another bat personally, but I have no clue who to get.

Two AJs on the Sox?? OH NO!!!!

Burnett's contract is up after this season. I wouldn't deal the players it would take to get him knowing he'd walk at the end of the season. If KW can pull off a deal for Burnett, I would hope he would sign him for 3 or 4 years as he did with Freddy... but I'd rather they go after Oswalt, or both...

I M A G I N E .......

Buehrle
Garcia
Oswalt
Burnett
Garland

hell, we wouldn't need a bullpen.... :cool:

BeviBall!
06-27-2005, 05:34 PM
Burnett and Oswalt both have had injury problems in the past and might be obtained for less than normal.

I have nothing against Contreras being the #5 guy. But it's gonna be a long shot to get either of those two stud pitchers. Ican see the Stros selling... the Marlins will be in the hunt all year.

Frater Perdurabo
06-27-2005, 05:40 PM
As much as I would love to see either Oswalt or Burnett on the Sox, we definitely have to think of each as a deeppink pipedream right now. I know Burnett is a soon-to-be free agent, but even with Houston's misery this year, the Astros think of Oswalt as their cornerstone for the future. For Houston to trade Oswalt would be like the Sox entertaining offers for Mark Buehrle if they were 26-50 instead of 50-26. Would the Sox even think of doing that? If so, what would they demand in return? Well, that's what Houston would want in return for Oswalt.

TwinGats
06-27-2005, 05:43 PM
According to a bunch of websites (Yahoo, MLB, etc.) A.J. Burnett is rumored to be on the block because he is in the last year of his contract. He is owed $3.65 million this season, according to espn.com. Jose Mesa is also rumored to be on the block. Either of these pitchers would be a nice addition to the Sox roster.

Make it happen Kenny.:bandance:

Jurr
06-27-2005, 05:44 PM
As much as I would love to see either Oswalt or Burnett on the Sox, we definitely have to think of each as a deeppink pipedream right now. I know Burnett is a soon-to-be free agent, but even with Houston's misery this year, the Astros think of Oswalt as their cornerstone for the future. For Houston to trade Oswalt would be like the Sox entertaining offers for Mark Buehrle if they were 26-50 instead of 50-26. Would the Sox even think of doing that? If so, what would they demand in return? Well, that's what Houston would want in return for Oswalt.
Well put. The Sox aren't in a position to be able to give away a ton of talent for the one year use of some stud. The Yankees were once a very deep team, loaded with talent all through the organization. Those days are over because they made too many BIG SPLASHES. KW has been very smart about picking up pieces to make it all work. I see more of the same coming up.

Baby Fisk
06-27-2005, 05:45 PM
According to a bunch of websites (Yahoo, MLB, etc.) A.J. Burnett is rumored to be on the block because he is in the last year of his contract. He is owed $3.65 million this season, according to espn.com. Jose Mesa is also rumored to be on the block. Either of these pitchers would be a nice addition to the Sox roster.

Make it happen Kenny.:bandance:
Kenny pulled it off last year getting Freddy, then signed him for cheaper than he would have commanded as a free agent. So it's not unheard of. But what would the Fightin' Fish demand?

Hangar18
06-27-2005, 05:46 PM
With the Marlins in the hunt, I doubt Burnett's available.

The thing about getting an Oswalt or a Schmidt is the price. It would take a LOAD to get those guys

Not for Jim Hendry

Tekijawa
06-27-2005, 05:46 PM
That's funny I read the article as a way of letting us down when no moves are made...

Jurr
06-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Kenny pulled it off last year getting Freddy, then signed him for cheaper than he would have commanded as a free agent. So it's not unheard of. But what would the Fightin' Fish demand?
Yeah. We should sic Ozzie's hot femail family members to tighten the thumbscrews on league talent.

Ozzie's relationship with Freddy made that one happen.

Jurr
06-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Not for Jim Hendry:roflmao:Boy, that is awesome.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-27-2005, 06:06 PM
The first chance to fill that particular void has been given to Minor League phenom Brandon McCarthy, and Williams has confidence that other spots could be filled from within the organization -- much like the Angels did a few years ago with reliever Francisco Rodriguez. A few names to watch in that area, along with McCarthy, are Triple-A Charlotte outfielder Brian Anderson, Charlotte reliever Jeff Bajenaru and Double-A Birmingham closer Bobby Jenks, who was recently selected to play in the Futures Game.

:LTP
"Where's my name?"

Frater Perdurabo
06-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Not for Jim Hendry

Pittsburgh is in a vastly different situation than either the Marlins or the Astros.

Therefore, Kenny needs to cherry-pick the Pirates roster! Rob Mackowiak looks like he'd fit in nicely, Dave Williams has a low salary and a nice record, and Mark Redman has experience pitching with some success in the American League!

:)

soxwon
06-27-2005, 07:23 PM

Before the season started reaching the series WAS A DEEP PINK PIPEDREAM!!!
so anything can happen.

nedlug
06-27-2005, 08:08 PM
Remember how there was no way that the Sox would get Freddy Garcia last year? And how quickly JW sold FG on the Sox? I'm sure selling someone on a multi-year deal wouldn't be as difficult this year, considering the record and the fact that pretty much everyone's locked up. KW will make a move, and it will most likely shock us all...

Oswalt/Zito/Schmidt sure would be nice!

Glaus/Hillenbrand/Figgins/Inge? Carlos Guillen, Craig Counsell? Renteria if the BoSox fall out of contention?

soxwon
06-27-2005, 08:13 PM
Remember how there was no way that the Sox would get Freddy Garcia last year? And how quickly JW sold FG on the Sox? I'm sure selling someone on a multi-year deal wouldn't be as difficult this year, considering the record and the fact that pretty much everyone's locked up. KW will make a move, and it will most likely shock us all...

Oswalt/Zito/Schmidt sure would be nice!

Glaus/Hillenbrand/Figgins/Inge? Carlos Guillen, Craig Counsell? Renteria if the BoSox fall out of contention?

no chance the BoSox fall out of contention, they Will be in the playoffs,
and most likely face us in the ALCS

Jjav829
06-27-2005, 08:34 PM
That's funny I read the article as a way of letting us down when no moves are made...

I read it as all or nothing. In other words, KW isn't looking to add small pieces or decent players. He's looking at true impact players that can make a big difference. He's not going to mess with the team to add a player that isn't much of an upgrade over what we have. So KW would have interest in acquiring Chavez to replace Crede because it is a significant upgrade. He probably wouldn't have interest in Joe Randa because Randa isn't that much of an upgrade. A guy like Schmidt or Burnett is a huge upgrade over El Duque or Contreras, so those types would make sense.

Jurr
06-27-2005, 08:43 PM
I read it as all or nothing. In other words, KW isn't looking to add small pieces or decent players. He's looking at true impact players that can make a big difference. He's not going to mess with the team to add a player that isn't much of an upgrade over what we have. So KW would have interest in acquiring Chavez to replace Crede because it is a significant upgrade. He probably wouldn't have interest in Joe Randa because Randa isn't that much of an upgrade. A guy like Schmidt or Burnett is a huge upgrade over El Duque or Contreras, so those types would make sense.
Don't say that to White Sox Josh. He'd lose his mind if you said Randa wasn't an upgrade.:tongue:

buehrle4cy05
06-27-2005, 08:51 PM
I think this thread is another "trade Joe Crede" thread in disguise...see the picture's caption on the right of the article? *sigh*...let me make this clear, White Sox Josh:

Reasons for not trading Crede

1) There are no other third basemen out there that would be a significant defensive AND offensive upgrade over Crede.

2) Team chemistry. Quote from Dustin Hermanson:
"but chemistry is the most important," said White Sox closer Dustin Hermanson of the team's close-knit fit. "We are a family over here."

I rest my case. I think 2 points is all that is necessary.

The Racehorse
06-27-2005, 08:52 PM
Splashy title... too bad the artice was anti-splashy.

batmanZoSo
06-27-2005, 08:54 PM
"Just because there's a big name out there, it doesn't mean we are going to like him or he will fit in here. But don't think for a second that, if I thought [a trade] gets us to the World Series, that we wouldn't aggressively pursue that move."

There will be some deal like that out there, maybe multiple deals. You know he'll try and hopefully he gets it done, whatever it is.

ShoelessJoeS
06-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Don't say that to White Sox Josh. He'd lose his mind if you said Randa wasn't an upgrade.:tongue:
:rolling: i was waiting for someone to say that

DannyCaterFan
06-27-2005, 09:25 PM
I think we could also use a good left handed bat.

White Sox Josh
06-27-2005, 09:27 PM
I think we could also use a good left handed bat.what's out there though?

Optipessimism
06-27-2005, 11:36 PM
what's out there though?

Lyle Overbay

I'd love to see the Sox dump Paulie and make a trade for this guy. He's dirt cheap which means more money in other areas plus he's a LH bat. I also would rather have a lefty 1B anyway. But, for him to do that, he'd have to move Paulie. I know this is really unrealistic considering where they are right now, but I'd much rather see the organization commit to Frank than GIDP Konerko since I doubt they keep both. If something came along where they could enter a 3-way deal and get some pitching too, I'd love it.

**EDIT: I also should put a guy like Huff on that list too. I know a lot of people will probably think this would be a stupid move considering the overrated clubhouse chemistry factor as well as all the RBI's he has, but I guarantee that a guy like Lyle would have as many or more RBI's hitting behind a top two like we have, plus he hits well for average and gets a lot of doubles. His HR #'s are less than Paulie's, but his power numbers are definately there. 53 doubles last year.

DVsoxfan
06-27-2005, 11:37 PM
Lyle Overbay

I'd love to see the Sox dump Paulie and make a trade for this guy. He's dirt cheap which means more money in other areas plus he's a LH bat. I also would rather have a lefty 1B anyway. But, for him to do that, he'd have to move Paulie. I know this is really unrealistic considering where they are right now, but I'd much rather see the organization commit to Frank than GIDP Konerko since I doubt they keep both. If something came along where they could enter a 3-way deal and get some pitching too, I'd love it.

Overbay's not going anywhere

shoota
06-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Bruce LeVineline talked today on the topic of the Sox acquiring Jason Schmidt. Levine said Schmidt would be a risky addition because he was once throwing 98 mph, and is now throwing 90 mph, and he doesn't know why there was a sudden drop in velocity.

I'd pass on Schmidt.

Troy Glaus is appealing.

Chisox003
06-27-2005, 11:47 PM
I'd pass on Schmidt.

Troy Glaus is appealing.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

:tealpolice:

Optipessimism
06-27-2005, 11:48 PM

So what are they going to do? Put Fielder in RF? Come on. Either he or Prince are going to go, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's Lyle and sooner rather than later. I do, however, doubt the Sox would have a chance because I think Milwaukee is going to want a 3B.

JB98
06-27-2005, 11:58 PM
I really hope that KW and Ozzie work within the organization to fill holes, if they can. Whether or not the talent is there is debatable... but I'd much rather see a young propect come up and kick ass then giving up 3 or 4 quality AAA guys for a rental... just my opinion.

We don't have 3 or 4 quality AAA guys. Our team in Charlotte is arguably the worst baseball team in the history of the sport.

I don't think KW and Ozzie have the option of working within the organization to fill holes. Brian Anderson is the only one down there who can help us, but frankly, we don't have any holes in the outfield.

Iguana775
06-28-2005, 12:01 AM
If Oswalts available... he has to be the guy you go for

Yes! Think they'll go for a Borchard/Oswalt trade? LOL

It's probably a pipe dream but Schmidt or Oswalt would make the rotation unbelievable.

Iguana775
06-28-2005, 12:02 AM
Bruce LeVineline talked today on the topic of the Sox acquiring Jason Schmidt. Levine said Schmidt would be a risky addition because he was once throwing 98 mph, and is now throwing 90 mph, and he doesn't know why there was a sudden drop in velocity.

I'd pass on Schmidt.

Troy Glaus is appealing.

Supposedly, he was throwing 95 in his last start.

Chisox003
06-28-2005, 12:06 AM
Yes! Think they'll go for a Borchard/Oswalt trade? LOL

It's probably a pipe dream but Schmidt or Oswalt would make the rotation unbelievable.

For those Schmidt doubters, he has pitched 2 straight very impressive games...

@ Detroit- 8 IP, 0 runs, 7 hits, 1 BB, 5 K's
Arizona- 8 IP, 0 runs, 5 hits, 2 BB's, 10 K's

The fact that his velocity is still down is scary, I know, but give it 1 or 2 more starts and who knows...He may be back

Oh to have Buehrle, Schmidt, Garcia, Garland, Contreras rotation....[/drooling]

beckett21
06-28-2005, 12:08 AM
Supposedly, he was throwing 95 in his last start.

Bruce Levine can stuff it.

Of course, no one can touch Burnett's 104...:redneck (I'll take either one of them, please)

White Sox Josh
06-28-2005, 11:58 AM
Here are a list of guys that are from the MLB.com article that KW would probably look at.

INF/OF Aubrey Huff, Devil Rays (would love to see him on the Southside)
3B Joe Randa, Reds
INF/DH Shea Hillenbrand, Blue Jays
INF Eric Hinske, Blue Jays
RHP Justin Speier, Blue Jays
LHP Mark Redman, Pirates
RHP Miguel Batista, Blue Jays
LHP Joe Kennedy, Rockies
RHP Jay Witasick, Rockies
RHP Jason Johnson, Tigers

fquaye149
06-28-2005, 12:12 PM

you are absolutely the opposite of right.

Melvin has come out and said that Overbay is going to be traded this year on account of Prince Fielder.

Sorry to say, but you were absolutely wrong on this count.

However, having said that, he's likely not coming here unless part of a three-team deal, as we need to get rid of Paulie before we have any use for Overbay.

Flight #24
06-28-2005, 12:14 PM
Melvin has come out and said that Overbay is going to be traded this year on account of Prince Fielder.

IIRC, he's actually said the opposite - that they're not looking to deal away anyone, but to add. I'd be extremely surprised if ANY GM said they were going to trade a guy - that would only lessen their negotiating power in trades.

Got a link to support this claim? I'd love to get Overbay, but it'd be fairly expensive as he's young, cheap, and very good.

fquaye149
06-28-2005, 12:17 PM
Here are a list of guys that are from the MLB.com article that KW would probably look at.

INF/OF Aubrey Huff, Devil Rays (would love to see him on the Southside)

I'll bet you would. Much like Randa, Huff's not much of an upgrade over anything. Butcher with the glove at 3B, and gee, what do these numbers remind you of:

.249/5/38

if you're looking at him as a replacement for Crede. Although, I tell ya what, maybe using Shoota's home run adjustment system, you could find away to subtract enough of Crede's home runs and add enough of Huff's to make it even out.

Yes, Huff's had 3 solid years, but oddly his numbers have tailed off to be consistent with his first two crappy years. Since we'd have to give up the farm for him, I really don't think I want to see Huff on the southside at all

fquaye149
06-28-2005, 12:18 PM
IIRC, he's actually said the opposite - that they're not looking to deal away anyone, but to add. I'd be extremely surprised if ANY GM said they were going to trade a guy - that would only lessen their negotiating power in trades.

Got a link to support this claim? I'd love to get Overbay, but it'd be fairly expensive as he's young, cheap, and very good.

I heard it on the score.

I know they're not the most accurate source, but they actually quoted Melvin, which makes me think there's a decent amount of truth to it.

Not to mention logically it makes sense. There's no way they're trading Fielder, and there's no room for both on the roster. Give Fielder a chance to be the superstar absolutely everyone has predicted him to be.

edit: and that's exactly what they were commenting on on the score: whether it was wise for Melvin to say he needed to trade Overbay and if that decreases his leverage too much.

Flight #24
06-28-2005, 12:23 PM
I heard it on the score.

I know they're not the most accurate source, but they actually quoted Melvin, which makes me think something's up.

Not to mention logically it makes sense. There's no way they're trading Fielder, and there's no room for both on the roster. Give Fielder a chance to be the superstar absolutely everyone has predicted him to be.

Here's the quotes I've seen from Melvin in print:

"We're open-minded about everything, but I don't necessarily believe you get value back for position players in July."

"I don't even really want to think about that, because I don't have any idea yet what we're going to do, I love what Overbay is doing for us."

IMO they're trying to maximize their success this year and make a run at a WC slot (as unlikely as it is that they'd actually get one). That means keeping Overbay and letting Fielder get his toes wet in September. Then he deals Overbay in the offseason, esp if that's when he thinks he can maximize the value. You'll have to knock his socks off to get Lyle in-season, i.e. overpay.

fquaye149
06-28-2005, 12:26 PM
Here's the quotes I've seen from Melvin in print:

"We're open-minded about everything, but I don't necessarily believe you get value back for position players in July."

"I don't even really want to think about that, because I don't have any idea yet what we're going to do, I love what Overbay is doing for us."

IMO they're trying to maximize their success this year and make a run at a WC slot (as unlikely as it is that they'd actually get one). That means keeping Overbay and letting Fielder get his toes wet in September. Then he deals Overbay in the offseason, esp if that's when he thinks he can maximize the value. You'll have to knock his socks off to get Lyle in-season, i.e. overpay.

probably. you're going to overpay for him no matter what.

I really haven't researched this as much as I might have, I'm just relaying what was said on the score (for whatever that channel's worth)

Iguana775
06-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Bruce Levine can stuff it.

Of course, no one can touch Burnett's 104...:redneck (I'll take either one of them, please)

I thought i heard Burnett was on the block too cause he'll be a FA this winter. It was one of the Florida pitchers.

SOXSINCE'70
06-28-2005, 12:34 PM
Can the Sox obtain Roger Clemens or Pedro Martinez??:roflmao: :roflmao:

Honestly,there may be a little tweeking,but I can't see
any major "splashes" coming our way.

Frater Perdurabo
06-28-2005, 01:11 PM
While of course it's deeppink speculation at this point, Overbay's interesting for what he offers offensively: doubles, decent average and left-handed hitting. Of course there's no room for Overbay and Konerko on the same team, so I wonder if it would be possible to send Konerko to the Brewers as part of a package for Overbay. Konerko's a free agent who could supply power to the Brewers in their Quixotic quest for the NL Wild Card and likely would feast on inferior National League pitching (remember his two doubles in the 2002 All-Star debacle in Milwaukee?). Melvin then could let him walk as a free agent to make room for Fielder in 2006. Melvin has an eye for talent, so the Sox definitely would have to part with a good prospect as well.

For the Sox, Overbay could bat third behind Pods and Iguchi, with Frank hitting cleanup. He'd see a ton of fastballs because no pitcher would want to walk Overbay to face Frank. Frank would bat with more runners on base (Overbay's OBP is .396 compared to Konerko's .359, Overbay has more walks and fewer strikeouts and a higher OPS than Konerko). Yes, the Sox would suffer a power loss, but Frank's presence would make up for it and besides, the power goes away in October when the weather cools off at the Cell. Also, the Sox could re-invest the salary savings into more pitching.

fquaye149
06-28-2005, 01:22 PM
While of course it's deeppink speculation at this point, Overbay's interesting for what he offers offensively: doubles, decent average and left-handed hitting. Of course there's no room for Overbay and Konerko on the same team, so I wonder if it would be possible to send Konerko to the Brewers as part of a package for Overbay. Konerko's a free agent who could supply power to the Brewers in their Quixotic quest for the NL Wild Card and likely would feast on inferior National League pitching (remember his two doubles in the 2002 All-Star debacle in Milwaukee?). Melvin then could let him walk as a free agent to make room for Fielder in 2006. Melvin has an eye for talent, so the Sox definitely would have to part with a good prospect as well.

For the Sox, Overbay could bat third behind Pods and Iguchi, with Frank hitting cleanup. He'd see a ton of fastballs because no pitcher would want to walk Overbay to face Frank. Frank would bat with more runners on base (Overbay's OBP is .396 compared to Konerko's .359, Overbay has more walks and fewer strikeouts and a higher OPS than Konerko). Yes, the Sox would suffer a power loss, but Frank's presence would make up for it and besides, the power goes away in October when the weather cools off at the Cell. Also, the Sox could re-invest the salary savings into more pitching.

the problem is, the only reason the brewers want to get rid of overbay is to make room for prince fielder who can really only play 1B. There's no place for Paulie..and the Brewers would much rather have Overbay and 8 million than Konerko. In fact, they'd probably just rather have Overbay than Konerko.

Frater Perdurabo
06-28-2005, 01:43 PM
the problem is, the only reason the brewers want to get rid of overbay is to make room for prince fielder who can really only play 1B. There's no place for Paulie..and the Brewers would much rather have Overbay and 8 million than Konerko. In fact, they'd probably just rather have Overbay than Konerko.

Of course you are right. But Fielder isn't the answer if the Brewers want to go for it this year, simply because he's not experienced. Konerko is experienced, his contract is up after this year, seemed to play well in Milwaukee in his two at-bats there in 2002, and has a reputation as a Cub-killer. Do I think such a deal would happen? No. But if it did I'd cheer.

Of course it would take more than Konerko to get Overbay and still it would be deeppink. But Milwaukee's starting shortstop is hitting .180. Would they like Willie Harris?

gr8mexico
06-28-2005, 01:55 PM
The Sox should consider Jason or A.J both the Marlins and the Giants are looking for bullpen help.The Sox should consider sending Shingo ,a top prospect OF and Willie Harris that should be more then enough.Then the Sox should consider moving either Contreras or El Duque to the bullpen and calling up Bobby Jenks to make the bullpen even stronger. Pablo Ozuna is doing a great job as a backup and it looks like Willie should have a fresh start with another team.

DaleJRFan
06-28-2005, 02:05 PM
I thought i heard Burnett was on the block too cause he'll be a FA this winter. It was one of the Florida pitchers.

I am fairly certain we can stop talking about AJ Burnett coming to the southside (bummer). Word is the Orioles have a deal working with Florida to bring AJ Burnett and Juan Encanacion to Baltimore for Jorge Julio and others. Honestly, I didn't like the idea of having two AJs on the Sox anyway.

The Baltimore Orioles confirmed Monday that the Marlins contacted them last week about a trade that would send right-hander A.J. Burnett to Baltimore in a six-player deal that would bring reliever Jorge Julio to Florida.

A.J. Burnett's time in South Florida isn't up yet, but there were indications Monday the Marlins contemplated accelerating that timeline in recent days. According to an Orioles source, the Marlins approached the team last week with a proposal that would have sent the hard-throwing right-hander and outfielder Juan Encarnacion, both potential free agents this winter, to Baltimore.

IowaSox1971
06-28-2005, 02:33 PM
With more than a month before the trading deadline, I don't see the need for any deal at this point. Crede is playing extremely well defensively at third. I do not see Randa being an upgrade at all. I would rather have Crede, period. Chavez would be nice to have, but Oakland is not going to trade him.

The starting pitching is still very good. The only reason to make a deal there would be if McCarthy continues to struggle and El Duque fails to come back in a few weeks.

As for the bullpen, if Vizcaino does not get things turned around, then maybe we should focus on getting somebody like Hasegawa from the Mariners. But we don't have to do anything yet.

Flight #24
06-28-2005, 02:40 PM
I am fairly certain we can stop talking about AJ Burnett coming to the southside (bummer). Word is the Orioles have a deal working with Florida to bring AJ Burnett and Juan Encanacion to Baltimore for Jorge Julio and others. Honestly, I didn't like the idea of having two AJs on the Sox anyway.

The Sox can't beat a package centered on Jorge Julio? :?:
If the Marlins can't do better than a package with Julio as the centerpiece, I'll be extremely surprised. On the other hand, if the O's send over one of their young pitchers (Penn, Bedard, Cabrera) in the deal and take JuanE's salary off of Florida's hands then I don't really know if they've improved enough to stave off Boston.

TaylorStSox
06-28-2005, 02:44 PM
Overbay's the only guy mentioned in this thread that I'd really want. He's light years above PK, in my mind, especially for this team. He hits for average. He hits well in situations. He hit doubles. He plays better defense. He runs better.

IMO, the drop off in power isn't all that significant. I believe he can hit 30-35 homers in our park.

Plus, he's cheap. With the money saved, we'd be able to resign Frank and "make a splash" in the free agent market.

BeviBall!
06-28-2005, 02:45 PM
The Sox can't beat a package centered on Jorge Julio? :?:
If the Marlins can't do better than a package with Julio as the centerpiece, I'll be extremely surprised. On the other hand, if the O's send over one of their young pitchers (Penn, Bedard, Cabrera) in the deal and take JuanE's salary off of Florida's hands then I don't really know if they've improved enough to stave off Boston.

Gammons the Fool commented on this trade yesterday saying it makes no sense for the O's to do this becasue the Marlins want Cabrera. No way Baltimore trades that guy.

StillMissOzzie
06-28-2005, 02:48 PM
For those Schmidt doubters, he has pitched 2 straight very impressive games...

@ Detroit- 8 IP, 0 runs, 7 hits, 1 BB, 5 K's
Arizona- 8 IP, 0 runs, 5 hits, 2 BB's, 10 K's

The fact that his velocity is still down is scary, I know, but give it 1 or 2 more starts and who knows...He may be back

Oh to have Buehrle, Schmidt, Garcia, Garland, Contreras rotation....[/drooling]

I'd like to see numbers like that against some more formidable teams than the Tiggers and the D-Backs, especially if it's true that the velocity is coming back. Besides, I think it will be after the All-Star game before we know who the buyers and sellers are gonna be.

SMO
:gulp:

TheOldRoman
06-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Overbay's the only guy mentioned in this thread that I'd really want. He's light years above PK, in my mind, especially for this team. He hits for average. He hits well in situations. He hit doubles. He plays better defense. He runs better.

IMO, the drop off in power isn't all that significant. I believe he can hit 30-35 homers in our park.

Plus, he's cheap. With the money saved, we'd be able to resign Frank and "make a splash" in the free agent market.
I agree. I was thinking about it the other day, and I can honestly see KW picking up Overbay in the offseason. He is an upgrade over Konerko, and he would be cheaper. Obviously Overbay isn't going anywhere this year, but they will trade him in the offseason. I honestly think Konerko won't be back with this team unless he either really catches fire in the second half or gets a series winning hit along the line.

Chisox003
06-28-2005, 02:57 PM
I agree. I was thinking about it the other day, and I can honestly see KW picking up Overbay in the offseason. He is an upgrade over Konerko, and he would be cheaper. Obviously Overbay isn't going anywhere this year, but they will trade him in the offseason. I honestly think Konerko won't be back with this team unless he either really catches fire in the second half or gets a series winning hit along the line.

Overbay is going to come so much cheaper than Konerko this offseason, it might be the only option we have....

Think about it, (And Im a fan of Paulies), if we get Overbay, that leaves a TON of cap room that would have been spent on Konerko to sign another big name starting pitcher, and we dont lose much production at 1B...

I've always liked Overbay, and this is an interesting option I never thought of...Good stuff

fquaye149
06-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Overbay is going to come so much cheaper than Konerko this offseason, it might be the only option we have....

Think about it, (And Im a fan of Paulies), if we get Overbay, that leaves a TON of cap room that would have been spent on Konerko to sign another big name starting pitcher, and we dont lose much production at 1B...

I've always liked Overbay, and this is an interesting option I never thought of...Good stuff

If you thought Carlos Lee was a steep price to pay for Pods...think about what we have to give up for Overbay:

a.) he's making the same as Pods and therefore will be a salary dump on our part unless we give top notch prospects

b.) unlike Podsednik, he will be coming off two straight very solid years.

c.) at this point in time, the Brewers feel they're set at 3B, SS, 2B, and 1B with Helms (and Branyan), Hall, Weeks, Fielder, and Cirillo. Carlos, Jenkins, and Clark make up a very solid outfield. Their pitching has actually been pretty good.

Obviously it will take a pretty solid starting pitcher or else some solid pitching prospects or a stud reliever to get Overbay. The best we could possibly do would be Cotts or Politte or El Duque plus some combination of our stud minor league pitching prospects (including one of Gio or Bmac along with Bajenaru or something). That's if we luck out and Melvin has warm, fuzzy feelings about the Lee trade.

If I'm missing something LESS the Brewers would take for Overbay, please let me know.

TaylorStSox
06-28-2005, 03:07 PM
I would trade Pk for Overbay + PTBNL right now! There's no question about it. The trade helps both teams. PK will be a FA leaving room for The Brewers to call up Fielder next year.

fquaye149
06-28-2005, 03:07 PM
I would trade Pk for Overbay + PTBNL right now! There's no question about it. The trade helps both teams. PK will be a FA leaving room for The Brewers to call up Fielder next year.

Why in the world would the brewers do that.

BTW, Fielder has already been called up.

TaylorStSox
06-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Why in the world would the brewers do that.

BTW, Fielder has already been called up.

I think the Brewers would be willing to sacrifice average + defense for power. They did it with Lee. PK has name recognition and makes the Brewers fans believe they're making a push this year.

Flight #24
06-28-2005, 03:10 PM
If you thought Carlos Lee was a steep price to pay for Pods...think about what we have to give up for Overbay:

a.) he's making the same as Pods and therefore will be a salary dump on our part unless we give top notch prospects

c.) at this point in time, the Brewers feel they're set at 3B, SS, 2B, and 1B with Helms (and Branyan), Hall, Weeks, Fielder, and Cirillo. Carlos, Jenkins, and Clark make up a very solid outfield. Their pitching has actually been pretty good.

Obviously it will take a pretty solid starting pitcher or else some solid pitching prospects or a stud reliever to get Overbay. The best we could possibly do would be Cotts or Politte or El Duque plus some combination of our stud minor league pitching prospects (including one of Gio or Bmac along with Bajenaru or something). That's if we luck out and Melvin has warm, fuzzy feelings about the Lee trade.

If I'm missing something LESS the Brewers would take for Overbay, please let me know.

I would do Duque+Gio for Overbay in a heartbeat. Then you can afford to send BMac out for a top-flight starter with a big contract because you can basicaly allocate Konerko's $$$ to that pitcher next year.

EDIT: However I think the Brewers will want a lot more than Duque+Gio.

fquaye149
06-28-2005, 03:11 PM
I would do Duque+Gio for Overbay in a heartbeat. Then you can afford to send BMac out for a top-flight starter with a big contract because you can basicaly allocate Konerko's $$$ to that pitcher next year.

I'm just worried about Jeremy B coming back to tell us how Overbay doesn't walk enough (he does).

edit: my fear is they will want much more than that as well. I think that is a borderline pipe dream best case trade we would have to make.

TaylorStSox
06-28-2005, 03:12 PM
It won't be popular around here but I'd rather see Bmac moved than Gio. Gio has more upside.

fquaye149
06-28-2005, 03:13 PM
I think the Brewers would be willing to sacrifice average + defense for power. They did it with Lee. PK has name recognition and makes the Brewers fans believe they're making a push this year.

They're going to take on 8 million extra for an huge decline in BA, a push in defense, and a relatively moderate increase in power?

Not to mention how much more they can get for Overbay than a half year rental?

If the teams were reversed and KW made this trade I'd be furious.

edit: the increase in power is relatively moderate because PK does not hit doubles and Overbay hits a lot of doubles. Their OPS is nearly identical.

fquaye149
06-28-2005, 03:15 PM
It won't be popular around here but I'd rather see Bmac moved than Gio. Gio has more upside.

I didn't mean to imply that we should or should not move Gio, Bmac or one is better.

The point is: we would have to give up so much for a Overbay, who isn't a superstar, that we should probably move on and think about other things.

Jjav829
06-28-2005, 03:15 PM

No, you're right on. The Brewers are going to want young pitching for Overbay, meaning McCarthy is almost a lock to have to be included. They really don't have much of a need for anything else. I saw a rumor that they might consider trading Rickie Weeks because of his defense, but I don't believe that for a second. It was in the NY post, so it's more than likely false. Weeks is going to be one hell of a player.

fquaye149
06-28-2005, 03:16 PM
No, you're right on. The Brewers are going to want young pitching for Overbay, meaning McCarthy is almost a lock to have to be included. They really don't have much of a need for anything else. I saw a rumor that they might consider trading Rickie Weeks because of his defense, but I don't believe that for a second. It was in the NY post, so it's more than likely false. Weeks is going to be one hell of a player.

It's funny to think that a 3rd place, sub-.500 team like the Brewers has fewer holes to fill than the best team in baseball.

However, that is exactly the case right now, IMO. They have the players plugged in, they just have to wait till they click...sort of like what everyone thinks about the jndjans.

TheOldRoman
06-28-2005, 03:20 PM
It's funny to think that a 3rd place, sub-.500 team like the Brewers has fewer holes to fill than the best team in baseball.

However, that is exactly the case right now, IMO. They have the players plugged in, they just have to wait till they click...sort of like what everyone thinks about the jndjans.
Ummmm, what holes do we have?
We could use a new starter while El Duque is out
We could use anoter arm in the bullpen
We don't NEED anyone. We don't have any holes, but there are always ways you can improve the team.

TaylorStSox
06-28-2005, 03:21 PM
I didn't mean to imply that we should or should not move Gio, Bmac or one is better.

The point is: we would have to give up so much for a Overbay, who isn't a superstar, that we should probably move on and think about other things.

I was just stating my opinion of moving Bmac vs. Gio. I know what you meant.

We might have to pick up part of PK's contract, but I think it would be worth it.

IMO, the Brewers are buyers for this season. Picking up a bonafide power hitter with some name recognition would be good for them.

Overbay's not going to be as valuable as some of you may think because everyone knows that he's expendable to them.

fquaye149
06-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Ummmm, what holes do we have?
We could use a new starter while El Duque is out
We could use anoter arm in the bullpen
We don't NEED anyone. We don't have any holes, but there are always ways you can improve the team.

You're right. However, we are looking to upgrade in certain positions if the right deal comes around:

5th starter, lefty out of the bullpen, righty out of the bullpen, 3B, SS.

You can say that the Brewers would take starters and arms out of the pen, but I really doubt they would even want any replacements at any position besides catcher.

That's all I mean.

fquaye149
06-28-2005, 03:24 PM
I was just stating my opinion of moving Bmac vs. Gio. I know what you meant.

We might have to pick up part of PK's contract, but I think it would be worth it.

IMO, the Brewers are buyers for this season. Picking up a bonafide power hitter with some name recognition would be good for them.

Overbay's not going to be as valuable as some of you may think because everyone knows that he's expendable to them.

expendable or not, they have very few holes to fill and overbay is a desirable product. Therefore they will have many bidders and will be able to be very selective about who they will take for him. It IS going to take a lot to get him. Look at my breakdown of the Brewers and tell me why they should take rags and unproven talent?

They can always move Fielder down for the duration of Overbay's tenure. They hold the cards, I would think.

DaleJRFan
06-28-2005, 03:54 PM
You're right. However, we are looking to upgrade in certain positions if the right deal comes around:

5th starter, lefty out of the bullpen, righty out of the bullpen, 3B, SS.

I'd say that as the season has evolved, there are some glaring weaknesses for the Sox that hopefully will be addressed. As much as I agree with KW on the "chemistry" comments and not wanting to mess with a good thing, there are some position players who need to improve quickly or could be replaced. The left side of the infield is a good example. Both Crede and Uribe are OUTSTANDING in the field but leave much to be desired offensively. Maybe there is someone out there who can be an improvement?? I know Maurice thinks so...

The outfield is in great shape as is 2B and 1B (Gload and Konerko teaming up for a pretty good potential combo sharing 1B duties). When the rosters expand, maybe Anderson can come up and provide another outfield option in addition to Everett. It looks like we have a pretty good catching situation, the only issue is that if the So wind up facing a speedy team towards the end of the season when the games really matter or in the post season ... they could run all over the Sox. But, I could care less considering AJ's timely hitting and game calling.

And we do need another starter. Can the Sox rely on the Cubans to take them into the playoffs?? Probably not. Contreras is decent, but he walks too many batters and winds up throwing gopher balls on 2-0 3-1 counts... El Duque is old and fragile. Another quality starting pitcher would seal the deal.

To combat any confrontational arguments over what I just typed, If you disagree with me, just assume I am talking out of my you-know-what... as this is usually the case.. just speaking my mind. Take it for what its worth... next to nothing. :redneck

tick53
07-04-2005, 12:06 PM
An friend of mine who is close to Mike Sirotkas dad told me that one of the
reasons the Sox faltered in 2001 was due to the trading of Brook Fordyce.

The players were close to him and he was a great clubhouse guy. Charles
Johnson was'nt a bad dude or anything, but the team chemistry just was'nt
the same.

I would love to see Schmitt,Oswalt or a pitcher of that same stature come to
the South Side to help pull us through but KW has to make sure he picks the
right one. Joe Crede is solid as far as I'm concerned and I don't want to see
the same thing happen if we lose him.

I'm going tonight and McCarthy is scheduled for the bump. Bmac needs a win.
I like him a lot but I said the same thing about Scott Ruffcorn a few years back. If Bmac goes in a trade then so be it. A proven starter is what we need
and Brandon is still new to the club, hence the chemistry factor does not play
that much.

All I'm saying is tread lightly at this juncture, KW. The mixture is right, please
keep it that way.

Sox 3 and 0 with me in attendence.:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Mammoo
07-04-2005, 12:58 PM
An friend of mine who is close to Mike Sirotkas dad told me that one of the reasons the Sox faltered in 2001 was due to the trading of Brook Fordyce.

The players were close to him and he was a great clubhouse guy. Charles
Johnson was'nt a bad dude or anything, but the team chemistry just was'nt
the same.

In that case forget Jason Scmidt...let's get Brook Fordyce back...:?: