PDA

View Full Version : Thank God.

RedPinStripes
06-27-2005, 03:04 PM
It's just back to baseball now. Not this circus that comes around twice a year where i go to a game and listen to idiots wearing blue saying how the Sox suck , Wrigley is the best park ever, ect. That series is not about a pennant race. It's all about pissing the other side off. I got so aggravated Saturday that i might not attend the next circus. I'd rather see the Sox play the Twins, Yanks, or any AL team that's better then KC or TB.

This isn't the first time I felt this way after attending one of these games. I've seen the Sox play the Cubs about 6 times. This might have been the first one sober. Even when i get tanked up I'm not dropping F-Bombs and starting fights with people when kids are right next to me or pretty close which is everywhere when these teams play.

If it wasn't for the part of not wanting to go to jail, I would have beaten the bloddy piss out of a Cub fan for pissing in the garbage can of the men's room.

No more of this crap for me, I'll watch it in a bar where some of that behavior is tollerated.

Rocky Soprano
06-27-2005, 03:07 PM
I'm with you.

I had a Cub fan smack my hat off my head just because I stated some obvious facts to him. The little coward ran like a little girl, which is good cause they are not worth spending a night in jail.

RKMeibalane
06-27-2005, 03:08 PM
I'm sick of interleague play entirely. It was cool when it first started, and I enjoyed seeing the Sox visit different places (Los Angeles, Colorado, Houston, etc.), but it's time to put interleague play on the shelf. Maybe, at some point in the future, it can be used again, but I see no point in having it now. I would much rather see the Sox face New York or Boston a few more times than put up with the never-ending media hyper surrounding the Flubs.

Jerko
06-27-2005, 03:09 PM
It's just back to baseball now. Not this circus that comes around twice a year where i go to a game and listen to idiots wearing blue saying how the Sox suck , Wrigley is the best park ever, ect. That series is not about a pennant race. It's all about pissing the other side off. I got so aggravated Saturday that i might not attend the next circus. I'd rather see the Sox play the Twins, Yanks, or any AL team that's better then KC or TB.

This isn't the first time I felt this way after attending one of these games. I've seen the Sox play the Cubs about 6 times. This might have been the first one sober. Even when i get tanked up I'm not dropping F-Bombs and starting fights with people when kids are right next to me or pretty close which is everywhere when these teams play.

If it wasn't for the part of not wanting to go to jail, I would have beaten the bloddy piss out of a Cub fan for pissing in the garbage can of the men's room.

No more of this crap for me, I'll watch it in a bar where some of that behavior is tollerated.

Sad, isn't it? I avoid these games like the plague. I am SO glad it's back to business as usual.

Baby Fisk
06-27-2005, 03:09 PM
That series is not about a pennant race. It's all about pissing the other side off. You nailed it right there. Based on the avalanche of bitter and angery posts here today, this series needlessly stokes up everyone's emotions and in the end both teams win JACK SQUAT. Interleague's time is over. Somebody e-mail Bud about this, tell him to get on it.

Steakpita
06-27-2005, 03:12 PM
I like interleague play, and found the enviroment at my one cubs-sox game this year to be fantastic (probably helped by the fact that the scoreboard on Friday had induced most of the little yuppies to flee back up 94 by the sixth inning). Cubs vs. Sox is something that the entire city can get into, and a chance for clueless "cub fans" ("oooh, mark prior is sooo cute") to see a real baseball team.

Interleague as a whole has the advantage of showing us all different locations. This year I really enjoyed the Padres series as well as Colorado, and the Dodgers games were awesome.

Chisox003
06-27-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this...

These series are exactly that...A Circus....There's no other way to describe it

Its not about baseball, and in my opinion is uncomparable to a September game with the Twins during a battle for the division...

Back to business, real baseball :gulp:

Ol' No. 2
06-27-2005, 03:13 PM

No more of this crap for me, I'll watch it in a bar where some of that behavior is tollerated.I like interleague play, but I, too, am disgusted by some of the filthy habits brought here on those days. Morons acting like they just won the WS and chanting "MVP" would be bad enough, but barf in the sinks and people pissing in the trash cans... Ugh. Were these people raised in barns?

Blueprint1
06-27-2005, 03:22 PM
I think this may be the last time I go to one of these games myself. It gets more annoying every year. These games mean little to nothing but everyone goes crazy over them.

BeviBall!
06-27-2005, 03:25 PM
Interleague sucks.

End of line.

sullythered
06-27-2005, 03:26 PM
abso'friggin'lutely

I could not agree more. I hate interleague play. It serves no purpose beyond drawing loads of idiots to Sox Park (unfortunately from both the Flubs and our sides) and throwing a monkey wrench into the flow of the season. It was at least novel at first, but it's time to end it altogether.

doublem23
06-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Agreed. Even down here, the Cub fans were ****ing super annoying. I don't know, maybe it's the relative success of each team this year, but they were just unbearable.

But don't tell that to the Cubune, only Sox fans are disgusting and want to win this series. :rolleyes:

Madvora
06-27-2005, 03:34 PM
I think the Cubs/Sox series has gotten out of hand too. I think I went to one a year for the first 4 or 5 years of the series, but I don't go anymore. It just way too nuts. I remember standing out on the concourse for the 14 inning game and having a huge samoan guy roll around with the security guards and almost snap my legs off, all while the game is going on. When people start getting in the way of me watching the game, then I get real pissed.

It just keeps getting worse and I've had enough of it.

ChiSoxRowand
06-27-2005, 03:43 PM
Wow, I hope a I am not the only one here who still likes the Sox/Cubs series. Maybe they need to shorten it to three games, but I still enjoy it.

Rocky Soprano
06-27-2005, 03:48 PM
Wow, I hope a I am not the only one here who still likes the Sox/Cubs series. Maybe they need to shorten it to three games, but I still enjoy it.

For me, I enjoy it. But I hate that we have to put with some of the stupidity that Cub fans bring to our park.

A ballgame should be fun!

brewcrew/chisox
06-27-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm sorry but I like interleague and the sox/cub series that comes with it. The stands are packed, the crowd is charged with anticpation, and for the most part, the games are close and very good. It has been my personal experience that the crowd in general (sans idiots from both sides) is much more into every pitch in a sox/cub series than most other regular season series, which adds to excitement.

Really, who cares if a guy throws up in the sink, or pees in a garbage can? While this behavior is reprehensible and should be delt with in an appropriate manner...ie, tell an Usher and have the guy kicked out...this kind of behavior is not regulated to Cub/Sox games...I've seen this kind of behavior at Sox, Cub, Brewer.....etc.....Should I now stop going to Baseball games because I've seen a couple of morons acting irresponsibly? BEARS....GOD! have you've ever been in the bathrooms or the stands at a BEARS game, particularly when the Bears are getting creamed? This stuff happens everywhere.

I agree that the media circus behind it gets a bit overbearing.

I don't want to go to Sox/Royals games because some moron and his son ran on the field and tackled the Umpire

I won't go to Taste of Chicago because someone was shot on the corner of Wabash and Jackson

Perspective. the series is good for both sides of town, and other than this year...some damn fine baseball has been played as well. I think most here would miss this series pretty quickly if it was taken away.

RedPinStripes
06-27-2005, 03:53 PM
I'm sorry but I like interleague and the sox/cub series that comes with it. The stands are packed, the crowd is charged with anticpation, and for the most part, the games are close and very good. It has been my personal experience that the crowd in general (sans idiots from both sides) is much more into every pitch in a sox/cub series than most other regular season series, which adds to excitement.

Really, who cares if a guy throws up in the sink, or pees in a garbage can? While this behavior is reprehensible and should be delt with in an appropriate manner...ie, tell an Usher and have the guy kicked out...this kind of behavior is not regulated to Cub/Sox games...I've seen this kind of behavior at Sox, Cub, Brewer.....etc.....Should I now stop going to Baseball games because I've seen a couple of morons acting irresponsibly? BEARS....GOD! have you've ever been in the bathrooms or the stands at a BEARS game, particularly when the Bears are getting creamed? This stuff happens everywhere.

I agree that the media circus behind it gets a bit overbearing.

I don't want to go to Sox/Royals games because some moron and his son ran on the field and tackled the Umpire

I won't go to Taste of Chicago because someone was shot on the corner of Wabash and Jackson

Perspective. the series is good for both sides of town, and other than this year...some damn fine baseball has been played as well. I think most here would miss this series pretty quickly if it was taken away.

You're missing the whole point here. Everyone acts like an ass at times at a game, but the place is just filled with stupidity and that series is not about baseball. The world's largest out door beer garden filled with ass clowns is on the north side. I go to the game to watch baseball, not but up with ass clowns.

TornLabrum
06-27-2005, 03:55 PM
The Cubs series has gotten so bad for me (ever since Mr. 20-Something-Cubs-Fan's "**** the kids" remark a few years ago) that when I suggested that we go to the Elkhart Jazz Festival last weekend (back in February) and my son asked me if I wouldn't prefer to go to the Cubs-Sox series, I told him that my choice was Elkhart hands down.I'd much rather hear good music than put up with lame***ed Cubs fans.

cheeses_h_rice
06-27-2005, 03:58 PM

I'm all for going back to just 3 games a year, as the series was when they first started interleague play in 1997.

I've been to 25 or 30 of the Cubs/Sox games since '97, and I must say the novelty has worn thin. Plus the stupidity of the back and forth chants in a year where neither team dominates both in the series W-L record and the overall season record really makes Chicago baseball fans look like childish rubes.

Baby Fisk
06-27-2005, 04:03 PM
the overall season record really makes Chicago baseball fans look like childish rubes.
What's that you say? Surely not Chicago baseball fans! [thinking of PHG's famous tirades about Chicago baseball fans] :cool:

brewcrew/chisox
06-27-2005, 04:06 PM
You're missing the whole point here. Everyone acts like an ass at times at a game, but the place is just filled with stupidity and that series is not about baseball. The world's largest out door beer garden filled with ass clowns is on the north side. I go to the game to watch baseball, not but up with ass clowns.

No, I see your point. I mean, during that series, the stands are packed, and there is more of an opportunity for people to act like idots...sheer numbers alone would have to suggest that the opportunity for stupidity would be greater at a Cubs/Sox series than say, a series with the Tigers....the numbers probably increase even more if the game is played on the North side.

Personally, all of the Cubs/Sox games that I've attended (I think 5 or 6) have been at the Cell, so I can't really speak for the Urinal, and the experiences I've had at all the games have been good. I watch the games for the baseball, and couldn't care less about some Trixie in aisle 4 talking about the episode of Friends she saw the night before.

RedPinStripes
06-27-2005, 04:14 PM
No, I see your point. I mean, during that series, the stands are packed, and there is more of an opportunity for people to act like idots...sheer numbers alone would have to suggest that the opportunity for stupidity would be greater at a Cubs/Sox series than say, a series with the Tigers....the numbers probably increase even more if the game is played on the North side.

Personally, all of the Cubs/Sox games that I've attended (I think 5 or 6) have been at the Cell, so I can't really speak for the Urinal, and the experiences I've had at all the games have been good. I watch the games for the baseball, and couldn't care less about some Trixie in aisle 4 talking about the episode of Friends she saw the night before.

Twins, Yanks, and Red Sox games get croweded if not sold out. I can handle that. There are some idiots, but nothing like when they play the cubs.

EdHerman12
06-27-2005, 04:24 PM
I'd like to see the series continue, but maybe just a once a season 3 game series alternating...at the Cell one season, at Wrigley the next. Seriously, I'd rather play the Brewers twice...

As for the shenanigans that go on, it probably happens everywhere, Yankees/Mets, A's/Giants, Dodgers/Angels, the bottom line is both our Sox and the Scrubs have some wild and wacko fans...let's face facts...some of those Cub fan fools have some big gonads to walk into our park and pull some of the stunts they do. There are three options.....1. deal with it and be mature, 2. stand up for our turf and kick some ass, or 3.....stay home...

What option each fan chooses I respect....I'm willing to bet any Cub fans that wander into Canaryville yapping off will be missing a few teeth....and soon!

Interleague play will continue so we might as well get used to it...next season we play the NL Central so we will see the Brew Crew..

GO SOX! TO ALL THOSE BIG MOUTHED FLUBS FANS---------->.:bart

Jurr
06-27-2005, 04:26 PM
The deal with the Cubs series this year, IMHO, is the apparent lack of importance of it. Back in the day (pre-2005), Sox fans have suffered through a little bit of a "lack of attention" with the media, etc. etc.(chat with Hangar if you don't know).

Anyway, the Sox have bigger things a'brewin'. Fo' REAL! This team is the best in the league, everyone's taking a look at the Sox, and everything seems like a dream right now. People, THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT A SOX WORLD SERIES!

Anyway, with all of this good mojo going on, we don't care about the Cubs series. It seems more like "just another series". Cubs fans, with their team hovering around .500, had a lot of emotion invested in this series. Actually, they had so much emotion invested that they were SUPER AMPED about getting a split in the crosstown series. I haven't ever been very psyched about a split. Well, maybe with some drunk night at the bowling lanes!!:tongue:

Let the Cubs fans be happy about .500. We don't have to be.

veeter
06-27-2005, 04:47 PM
This series draws the inevitable comparisons between the two teams. It is an insult to compare the Sox the cubz this year or any year.

TomC727
06-27-2005, 04:51 PM
I think this will be my last year attending this circus. I despised the game. I was there on Sat. First, the Sox got their asses kicked, and second, there were so many cubs fans around me (146 Row 2) that I wanted to slit my wrists. It is a frickin circus and I would much rather sit at home and watch the game on the TV. I can cell my season tickets to some moron cubs fans who want to fork over $200 for them. That would be fine by me.

Jurr
06-27-2005, 04:54 PM
I think this will be my last year attending this circus. I despised the game. I was there on Sat. First, the Sox got their asses kicked, and second, there were so many cubs fans around me (146 Row 2) that I wanted to slit my wrists. It is a frickin circus and I would much rather sit at home and watch the game on the TV. I can cell my season tickets to some moron cubs fans who want to fork over $200 for them. That would be fine by me.
Yeah. That's the attitude. Let the Cell get filled up with Cubs fans during the crosstown series.

hellenicsoxfan
06-27-2005, 05:22 PM
I was at my first Sox/Cub game on Sunday, sitting in section 518. Up there, things were pretty tame. Sox fans cheering Sox, Cub fans cheering Cubs, a few good-natured barbs and very little if any talking smack. It wasn't until after the game, going down the ramps that things started getting ugly. Many Cub fans (but definitely not all) were yelling Sox suck and other insults. I'm proud to say that an overwhelming majority of Sox fans realized that these were just drunken idiots and ignored them, but a few took the bait and a brawl almost broke out. On a crowded ramp, that was a big disaster waiting to happen. Kudos to the 2 security guards who showed up quickly and settled things down.

I too am tired of the interleague play. I'd rather get more games with AL teams than NL teams. But if interleague must stay, I'd rather just see the Sox play the Cubs when the Central vs. Central rotation comes up. Then we'd only have to put up with this circus once every three years.

johnny bench
06-27-2005, 05:56 PM
For years I have refused to bring my kids to this series because I don't want to expose them to all this nonsense. It really has become an adults only series as far as I am concerned.

Next year I'll take my own good advice and stay home too.

BTW: Kudos to WGN for broadcasting all 3 games.

russ99
06-27-2005, 06:13 PM
I was at yesterday's game, and without a doubt, game results aside, it was the worst baseball experience I've had at the Cell.

I sat on an aisle seat, and for most of the game, despite which team was at bat, an endless stream of fans kept walking in front of me and blocking my view of the plate. For the most part the Cub fans were cool, but 300+ drunk bleacher frat boys in immediate sections have to mess it up for the rest of us. Too bad the Sox couldn't have given all the real fans something to cheer about.

The worst part was in the 6th inning, the beer vendors stopped right in front of my seat, and idiot cub fans lines up like it was a beer stall.

Some bozo even lost a full beer a row or two behind me which flowed like a waterfall and soaked my bag, and almost ruined my camera.

Next year, I'll watch from a bar!

Maybe the T-shirt guys in the front of the park should have one next year that reads "Hey fair-weather Cub fans, sit down and watch the d**m game!"

tebman
06-27-2005, 06:20 PM
I'm sick of interleague play entirely. It was cool when it first started, and I enjoyed seeing the Sox visit different places (Los Angeles, Colorado, Houston, etc.), but it's time to put interleague play on the shelf. Maybe, at some point in the future, it can be used again, but I see no point in having it now. I would much rather see the Sox face New York or Boston a few more times than put up with the never-ending media hyper surrounding the Flubs.
I'm with you, and I don't think I'd be saying anything different if the Sox had won. The interleague games are exhibitions perverted to count as championship-season games. I went to a Them vs. Us game the first year with a friend and had some laughs, but that was enough. Since then it's deteriorated into artificial tribal wars created to sell commercial space in the papers and over the air.

I don't see it going away though. The sports press (print and electronic) needs a narrative that they can run with, and this gives them one. And the games undeniably sell more tickets to the casual fans (the same ones who would just as soon go to a WWE freak show). Maybe there's a happy median where there are true local rivalries (NYY vs. NYM, CWS vs. CHC, etc.) that could have two short series scheduled, but let's lose pointless ones like Pittsburgh vs. Oakland.

It's the old toothpaste-out-of-the-tube problem: how do you put it back in? It's just like the DH -- isn't it still officially an MLB experiment? I'm still waiting for an analysis of the data on that one. :tongue:

Lip Man 1
06-27-2005, 06:23 PM
WGN was only supposed to show two of the games but when Fox Sports for some bizarre reason passed on showing it, they quickly snatched up Saturday.

Lip

whitesoxwin
06-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Limit inter-league games---enough is enough.
I can only take so much.
Only three games with those wimpy, sorry excuses for mankind: cub fans.
That's it.
Back to kicking _ss in the American league!!

GO SOX!!!!!!

downstairs
06-27-2005, 07:03 PM
Hmmmmm... I don't know... I think we tend to dislike it if we lose 2-outta-3, and like it when we win a series.

I dig the inner-city rivalry. Its 6 games out of 162. The other interleague games are either really cool or no worse than a game against KC or TB (read: Colorado.) So its not *bad*

I will agree, though, that my hatred for the Cubs has a heck of a lot more to do with their fans (or, more apt, the non-fans they market their enormous frat party to). And because of this, their fans really give the series a lot of sour notes.

Yeah, we have our morons too. Lots of them. But there's no two ways about it... the sheer majority of Cubs fans have no business in a baseball stadium.

Hitmen77
06-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Count me as another vote against playing the Cubs every year. Those games have become a circus. It's nice to get 3 guaranteed sellouts, but we'd make up for that in attendance if we went back to having the Yankees and Red Sox visit twice a year.

I don't want to get rid of interleague play altogether though. The idea that we never, ever play half the teams in the league is a waste.

batmanZoSo
06-27-2005, 08:08 PM
Count me as another vote against playing the Cubs every year. Those games have become a circus. It's nice to get 3 guaranteed sellouts, but we'd make up for that in attendance if we went back to having the Yankees and Red Sox visit twice a year.

I don't want to get rid of interleague play altogether though. The idea that we never, ever play half the teams in the league is a waste.

I've grown weary of this as well. We should play them when we play the NL Central Division. Only you make sure to get that matchup in there and forget about Pittburgh or Cincinnatti. Every three years we meet in a three game set. It's so much more special that way. And these games just bring out the worst Chicago white trash hillbilly blood in the area. I went to one game out of the 50 or so and I'm already sick of it.

DannyCaterFan
06-27-2005, 08:21 PM
For me, the series is always very difficult to attend. I go to about 30 games a season, but the atmosphere is too much like a circus while they play the Cubs. I can't stand having to put up with Cub fans in our home park. I have to admit though, it was a real thrill to be there when Carlos Lee hit that grand slam, or when the Sox came back from a 8-1 deficit. It's just the fans I can't stand. So i got a little revenge this year. I sold my tickets to all three games on Stub Hub to North side Cub fans and collected over $600. A nice down payment for my playoff tickets and very satisfied that money comes from grubby Cub Fans. My only problem with all of this though, is that I made it possible for 2 cub fans to attend each game. For that I am sorry!

wdelaney72
06-27-2005, 08:27 PM
While I understand everyone's frustration with the series and the idiots that come out of the woodwork, I still enjoy interleague play and enjoy the 6 games a year the two teams play each other.

I've never gone to a game, but that's mostly becuase of difficulty of acquiring tickets.

Jurr
06-27-2005, 08:30 PM
I've grown weary of this as well. We should play them when we play the NL Central Division. Only you make sure to get that matchup in there and forget about Pittburgh or Cincinnatti. Every three years we meet in a three game set. It's so much more special that way. And these games just bring out the worst Chicago white trash hillbilly blood in the area. I went to one game out of the 50 or so and I'm already sick of it.
Maybe that would make the series extra special, if it came around only once every three years.

Money drives this thing, though, and the Sox aren't going to let three straight sellouts a year get away.

batmanZoSo
06-27-2005, 09:20 PM
Maybe that would make the series extra special, if it came around only once every three years.

Money drives this thing, though, and the Sox aren't going to let three straight sellouts a year get away.

I we'd have more seasons like this, there would be no desperate need for this north side money.

Jurr
06-27-2005, 09:20 PM
I we'd have more seasons like this, there would be no desperate need for this north side money.True, true. Let's hope that happens.

Hitmen77
06-27-2005, 10:32 PM
.. I can't stand having to put up with Cub fans in our home park...

I think they made sure to schedule a road trip right after the Cubs series to give workers time to wash the Cub fans' stench off of the seats at the Cell.