PDA

View Full Version : Obscure Sox Reference of the Day

Mark
06-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Saw this in an article in American Heritage magazine about two GIs who were stationed in Germany in the early 1950s. They were invited over for Sunday dinner by a German couple:

"Their apartment, in a four-story stucco building, was tiny. There was no living room or parlor as such, just a chamber with a dining table almost filling it. Both little girls wore freshly pressed dresses, and the boy had on a tie. His father wore a suit. We took seats at the table. Our hosts placed a large German-English dictionary before them. Tea and cake were served.

Conversation was not easy, but it was pleasant. Our host was a solemn and shy man who seemed embarrassed when he couldn’t understand something we said and smiled in a inquiring way. Our hostess was bolder, laughing when she grabbed the dictionary, which she did every minute or so. I offered what German I had, and they kindly said I had excellent pronunciation. “Prima!” We went through some German vocabulary drill about things I pointed at. What’s the word for book? How do you say window?

About an hour and a half passed. I have never been one to carry pictures around, but George had a walletful and showed them his house, parents, sister, family car, dog, and himself with his buddies. He got onto his devotion to the Chicago White Sox, and we worked it out that they were the Weisse Socken. God knows what the couple got out of that."

Perhaps somebody can get to work printing up some Go Go Weisse Socken t-shirts for the next homestand? :wink:

Madvora
06-27-2005, 02:33 PM
I love it

Ich Bein Ein Weisse Socker !

Baby Fisk
06-27-2005, 03:01 PM
It will be the perfect cheer around the time of Oktoberfest: Gehen Gehen Socken Weisse! :cheers:

ramorgan1
06-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Du kannst anbringen es Anzeigetafel, ja!!!!

my feeble attempt at my favorite White Sox phrase, auf Deutsch

voodoochile
06-27-2005, 10:20 PM
:hurt
Ich bin der grosse owie (I forgot how to say hurt in German)."

:burly
"Ich bin hier zum pump you up"

:hawk
"Ich Liebe Deutsch."

:DJ
"Was sags du?"

:farmer
"Their in first last time I checked, but not checked like a checkerboard like looked at the standings or 'sehen' the standings as I would say if I spoke German, which I don't and I don't salute their flag either people who do should be..."

:walnuts
"yeah yeah yeah... can I play? How do you say my name in German?

:uribe:
"grosse mund"

:hurt
"GIDPK"

:supernana:
"Wir sind nicht hier zum feathers ruffle..."