PDA

View Full Version : Forget the Twins for now

Fenway
06-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Right now the White Sox have the luxury of being able to forget about the Twins for the time being. If you need to scoreboard watch, there are two teams you should be watching as much as Minnesota.

http://logoserver.com/baseball/BostonRedSox3449.GIF and http://logoserver.com/baseball/LAAngels6365.GIF

Anaheim is only 5 behind the WS for best record and Boston 6. Still a long way to go.

Something to keep in mind going into the second half

The Red Sox are in first place even though at the end of yesterday's games they had played more road games than any other team in baseball. Boston plays 49 of its first 88 games away from home, which means they will be at home down the stretch. The Sox play 24 of their final 36 at Fenway, where they are a major league-best 77-36 since the start of last season.
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/06/26/easy_call_race_is_a_runaway/?page=2

Having the best record gives you home field in the AL playoffs and more important "may" give you a better matchup in Round 1.

I am not saying to ignore the Twins, but you have to look at the bigger picture.

My prediction for ALDS matchups?
Chicago vs NYY Boston vs LAA

I think the Twins are much weaker than anyone thought and NYY will come back in the second half to get the wild card.

White Sox Josh
06-27-2005, 03:07 PM
Right now the White Sox have the luxury of being able to forget about the Twins for the time being. If you need to scoreboard watch, there are two teams you should be watching as much as Minnesota.

http://logoserver.com/baseball/BostonRedSox3449.GIF and http://logoserver.com/baseball/LAAngels6365.GIF

Anaheim is only 5 behind the WS for best record and Boston 6. Still a long way to go.

The Red Sox are in first place even though at the end of yesterday's games they had played more road games than any other team in baseball. Boston plays 49 of its first 88 games away from home, which means they will be at home down the stretch. The Sox play 24 of their final 36 at Fenway, where they are a major league-best 77-36 since the start of last season.
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/06/26/easy_call_race_is_a_runaway/?page=2

Having the best record gives you home field in the AL playoffs and more important "may" give you a better matchup in Round 1.

I am not saying to ignore the Twins, but you have to look at the bigger picture.

I think the Twins are much weaker than anyone thought and NYY will come back in the second half to get the wild card.i really don't like the Yankees. I think they are way to old and still very one-dimensional on offense. Boston looks good right now. I think the WC is between the Twins and the Rangers and I just don't think that the Rangers have enough pitching to go to the playoffs.

Ol' No. 2
06-27-2005, 03:12 PM
i really don't like the Yankees. I think they are way to old and still very one-dimensional on offense. Boston looks good right now. I think the WC is between the Twins and the Rangers and I just don't think that the Rangers have enough pitching to go to the playoffs.I wouldn't be too quick to count out the Rangers. I agree about their pitching, but I also expect them to make a trade or two to rectify that. They might be the mystery team after Burnett. The Marlins need offensive help and the Rangers have plenty to spare.

BeviBall!
06-27-2005, 03:17 PM
We still have 13 with the Twinkies. This race is gonna get close again... which wouldn't exactly be a bad thing. Keeps 'em fresh.

skobabe8
06-27-2005, 03:21 PM

I think the Twins are much weaker than anyone thought and NYY will come back in the second half to get the wild card.

I ddint know we played there so much! :D:

rwcescato
06-27-2005, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't be too quick to count out the Rangers. I agree about their pitching, but I also expect them to make a trade or two to rectify that. They might be the mystery team after Burnett. The Marlins need offensive help and the Rangers have plenty to spare.

The Rangers are the team that I would be afraid to play at the moment. The Angels are good to but at least we have beaten them. The Red Sox we have not played yet and are atrting to look better. But they do have David Wells. The last thing I remember about him is pulling up lame when the flubs were kicking his ass.
Rich

doublem23
06-27-2005, 03:57 PM
Twins > Yankees

The ALDS will be White Sox vs. Anaheim/Texas and Boston v. Minnesota.

RKMeibalane
06-27-2005, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't be too quick to count out the Rangers. I agree about their pitching, but I also expect them to make a trade or two to rectify that. They might be the mystery team after Burnett. The Marlins need offensive help and the Rangers have plenty to spare.

I think Jack McKeon will be gone soon. Any team that has a starting rotation of Beckett, Burnett, Willis, and Leiter, to go along with a lineup that has Cabrera, Degado, Lowell, LoDuca, Castillo, etc. should not be this inconsistent.

daveeym
06-27-2005, 04:10 PM
Shoot I'm watching the Cardinals, they're only 3 1/2 back.

NSSoxFan
06-27-2005, 04:11 PM
This thread sucks.

Fenway, you think we should worry about the Fake Sox and Angels as much as the Twins? You say the Sox should worry about these two teams, when the Red Sox and Angels are stuck worrying about the Rangers, Yankees, and Orioles. If 2000 proved something to all of us Sox fans is that home field advantage means NOTHING.

Fenway, again, this thread SUCKS.

Fenway
06-27-2005, 04:15 PM
I don't think the Twins are going to be "much" of a WC factor ( last 10 days has changed my mind )

Texas doesn't concern me that much either.

Believe I HOPE I AM WRONG expect the Yankees to be like the US Calvary in the second half

hopefully like

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:boUQsrA46zYJ:www.lib.utexas.edu/photodraw/portraits/custer.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.lib.utexas.edu/photodraw/portraits/custer.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.lib.utexas.edu/photodraw/portraits/&h=561&w=573&sz=43&tbnid=boUQsrA46zYJ:&tbnh=128&tbnw=131&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcuster%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN)

CHISOXFAN13
06-27-2005, 04:17 PM
I don't think the Twins are going to be "much" of a WC factor ( last 10 days has changed my mind )

Texas doesn't concern me that much either.

Believe I HOPE I AM WRONG expect the Yankees to be like the US Calvary in the second half

hopefully like

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:boUQsrA46zYJ:www.lib.utexas.edu/photodraw/portraits/custer.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.lib.utexas.edu/photodraw/portraits/custer.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.lib.utexas.edu/photodraw/portraits/&h=561&w=573&sz=43&tbnid=boUQsrA46zYJ:&tbnh=128&tbnw=131&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcuster%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN)

How can you say the last 10 days have changed your mind about the Twins, yet you think the Yankees are about to make a charge? That one win against the Mets have you quivering in your boots?

NSSoxFan
06-27-2005, 04:20 PM
How can you say the last 10 days have changed your mind about the Twins, yet you think the Yankees are about to make a charge? That one win against the Mets have you quivering in your boots?

I used to respect fenway and his opinions, but after this thread, not anymore. It's sad that he thinks the Twins are a non-factor for the White Sox yet the Red Sox and Angels are the number one enemy for us. :?:

doublem23
06-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Cut fenway some slack, there's only one known baseball team west of the Applachains in the Northeast. :rolleyes:

Ol' No. 2
06-27-2005, 04:31 PM
I used to respect fenway and his opinions, but after this thread, not anymore. It's sad that he thinks the Twins are a non-factor for the White Sox yet the Red Sox and Angels are the number one enemy for us. :?:I happen to agree with him. The Twins played way over their heads early, but and have stumbled badly of late. I don't think they have the horses and they don't have the resources to do much in the trade market. By the time they get another crack at the Sox they're going to be a speck in the rearview mirror. In fact, I'm not so sure they can hold onto second place.

It may be just a tad early, but I'm almost ready to assume the Sox win the division and start looking at potential playoff opponents. It's still pretty murky, though.

CHISOXFAN13
06-27-2005, 04:35 PM
I happen to agree with him. The Twins played way over their heads early, but and have stumbled badly of late. I don't think they have the horses and they don't have the resources to do much in the trade market. By the time they get another crack at the Sox they're going to be a speck in the rearview mirror. In fact, I'm not so sure they can hold onto second place.

It may be just a tad early, but I'm almost ready to assume the Sox win the division and start looking at potential playoff opponents. It's still pretty murky, though.

You have a point. I'm not sure how long they will stay in second, much less third either. However, if Santana gets hot and they take advantage of a fairly easy schedule in July, they have a shot to stay in the thick of the WC race.

It's going to be fun to watch considering the Sox are in control of their own destiny.

NSSoxFan
06-27-2005, 04:38 PM
I happen to agree with him. The Twins played way over their heads early, but and have stumbled badly of late. I don't think they have the horses and they don't have the resources to do much in the trade market. By the time they get another crack at the Sox they're going to be a speck in the rearview mirror. In fact, I'm not so sure they can hold onto second place.

Fair enough. If you want to assume the Sox are going to win the division, that is fine. The problem that I had withh fenway is the fact that he wants us to believe that the Sox are in some sort of trouble because of the Fake Sox and Angels. We will not know who our playoff opponent is until the last week of the season, hell, maybe even the last day.

cheeses_h_rice
06-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Cut fenway some slack, there's only one known baseball team west of the Applachains in the Northeast. :rolleyes:

http://sportserver.nandomedia.com/ips_rich_content/815-sosa.jpg

Thass righ'.

Ol' No. 2
06-27-2005, 04:45 PM
Fair enough. If you want to assume the Sox are going to win the division, that is fine. The problem that I had withh fenway is the fact that he wants us to believe that the Sox are in some sort of trouble because of the Fake Sox and Angels. We will not know who our playoff opponent is until the last week of the season, hell, maybe even the last day.I don't think that was his point. He can speak for himself, but I took it as looking ahead to who the potential playoff opponents might be.

mjmcend
06-27-2005, 07:22 PM
I don't think that was his point. He can speak for himself, but I took it as looking ahead to who the potential playoff opponents might be.

And I also thought that he was talking about keeping the best record in the AL/home field advantage in the playoffs, and he is right about that. Either the Red Sox or the Angels are the most likely to catch us in that race.

batmanZoSo
06-27-2005, 08:42 PM
The White Sox have a terrible history at home in the playoffs. I'd almost rather start off on the road.

owensmouth
06-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Buffalo?

MIgrenade
06-27-2005, 08:58 PM
The White Sox have a terrible history at home in the playoffs. I'd almost rather start off on the road.

Actually the Sox have a terrible record in the playoffs overall so I'd rather not see them in the playoffs.

The only team the White Sox can really care about is still the Twins. All Boston and everyone else can do is affect who else makes the playoffs. I'm getting ahead of myself though, we won't know if the White Sox will make the playoffs until the end of the season. (This is my attempt not to jinx anything.)

DickAllen72
06-27-2005, 10:31 PM
I'm more concerned with The Indians than The Red Sox. And The Twins are still the team closest to the Sox in the Central.

Lip Man 1
06-28-2005, 12:00 AM
Batman:

Considering the only post season wins since 1960 started, have been on the
road, you may have a point.

Lip

Fenway
06-28-2005, 03:56 PM
I used to respect fenway and his opinions, but after this thread, not anymore. It's sad that he thinks the Twins are a non-factor for the White Sox yet the Red Sox and Angels are the number one enemy for us. :?:

I think you misunderstood what I meant.

The White Sox are going to win the Central easily. To get the #1 seed in the playoffs the Red Sox and Angels ARE the 2 teams to watch and stay ahead of. Yes White Sox teams since 1959 have stunk up the South Side in home playoff games but this is a new year and a new team. Bottom line for the White Sox, if you stay ahead of LAA and Boston, you will also be way ahead of the Twins.

Someone made the comment on why I don't think the Twins will be around at the end but the Yankees will be. Simple...the Yankees WILL do something drastic before July 31st, payroll be damned and the Twins will not.

Look nobody wants to see the Yankees crash and burn in July more than myself but there is too much raw talent on that club.

DaleJRFan
06-28-2005, 04:09 PM
I think Jack McKeon will be gone soon. Any team that has a starting rotation of Beckett, Burnett, Willis, and Leiter, to go along with a lineup that has Cabrera, Degado, Lowell, LoDuca, Castillo, etc. should not be this inconsistent.

I know some folks down in the Miami area who are very familiar with baseball doings with the Marlins and they support this (WSI types, but Marlin fans). They claim he has lost touch with the veterans and the younger players aren't listening anymore... how they know this is beyond me... Are they in the clubhouse with the team??? Yikes...

but anyway... I don't know this for truth, hell the guy won them a world series... but the concensus with the fanbase and radio/mediots down there is that McLeon is on his way out and a lot is going to change for the Marlins.

I don't want to end up like ChiSoxTony with airport cellphone eavesdropping, but this is what I have been told by a few friends in Miami...

Maybe they'll back up the truck at US Cellular Field.... :cool:

EDIT: Any WSIers down in Miami to discuss???

harwar
06-28-2005, 05:26 PM
I'm more concerned with The Indians than The Red Sox. And The Twins are still the team closest to the Sox in the Central.

Since we have to play them so many times,i'm concerned about the twins,indians,& tigers.
I'll worry about the red sox,angels & yankees when we get near october.

Iwritecode
06-28-2005, 05:27 PM
I think you misunderstood what I meant.

The White Sox are going to win the Central easily. To get the #1 seed in the playoffs the Red Sox and Angels ARE the 2 teams to watch and stay ahead of. Yes White Sox teams since 1959 have stunk up the South Side in home playoff games but this is a new year and a new team. Bottom line for the White Sox, if you stay ahead of LAA and Boston, you will also be way ahead of the Twins.

My feeling is just get to the playoffs any way you can. I don't care about the homefield advantage or the WC.

Anything can happen in a short series...

NSSoxFan
06-28-2005, 05:40 PM
My feeling is just get to the playoffs any way you can. I don't care about the homefield advantage or the WC.

Anything can happen in a short series...

Exactly.

Fenway, I understood what you said 100% and I still disagree. IMO, the Twins and Yankees are on an even plain. I don't believe drastic measures will help the Yankees at this point, either they win with what they got or shoot for next year. The Twins have something that the Yankees apparently don't have, pitching. In fact, if it came down to Minnesota or New York for the wild card, I'd put my money on the Twins. Nothing is a done deal, although I love the Sox chances to win the AL Central, I'll feel secure when they are celebrating in the locker room.

Fenway
06-28-2005, 05:44 PM
On that we agree

the only magic number that matters is - 1

Exactly.

Fenway, I understood what you said 100% and I still disagree. IMO, the Twins and Yankees are on an even plain. I don't believe drastic measures will help the Yankees at this point, either they win with what they got or shoot for next year. The Twins have something that the Yankees apparently don't have, pitching. In fact, if it came down to Minnesota or New York for the wild card, I'd put my money on the Twins. Nothing is a done deal, although I love the Sox chances to win the AL Central, I'll feel secure when they are celebrating in the locker room.

nebraskasox
06-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Since we have to play them so many times,i'm concerned about the twins,indians,& tigers.
I'll worry about the red sox,angels & yankees when we get near october.

I have to agree with this and others who expressed this sentiment. AJP said in an interview after the 12-2 win over the Cubs that we haven't won anything yet and need to quit thinking that "this is our year" at this stage of the season. That seems like a healthy, take-nothing-for-granted attitude.

The season isn't half over yet and there are plenty of games against the Central yet to be played. All the Central teams except the Royals have good pitching. We are not exactly an offensive juggernaut. These games are going to be competitive.

The Twins do look weaker than the last few years but they are a scrappy team and the Tribe & Tigers are playing better now than when we faced them earlier. What if the Twins have had their skid and we have yet to have ours? What if we have injuries? What if El Duque spends more time on the DL creating a 5th starter issue?

I've been a Sox fan too long to count my chickens now. I like our chances of getting in the playoffs but it's too early to say it's a done deal. Once you get in, then it's whoever's hot - at home & on the road.

PeteWard
06-29-2005, 12:46 AM
I

I've been a Sox fan too long to count my chickens now. I like our chances of getting in the playoffs but it's too early to say it's a done deal. -

God, no kidding. All the Twins have to do is gain one game per week on average and they win by 3 games. I know that is harder than it sounds but people who think the ALC race is over are nuts! Yes we are the clear favorite. Yes I am optimistic. But there is so much ball to be played.