PDA

View Full Version : Gload back soon?

White Sox Josh
06-27-2005, 02:26 PM
on whitesox.com it says that gload will be back pretty soon. That would be excellent news because Konerko really needs a day off.Finding a fit: Ross Gload's left shoulder has improved significantly enough that the talented reserve felt as if he could have played first base on Sunday. It's more than likely Gload will be playing first base once again for Triple-A Charlotte this week, but once he's healthy, Gload really isn't sure where his permanent home will be.

"I don't know where I fit in, if I fit in at all right now," Gload said. "That's how I feel. If it's not broke, don't fix it. I completely understand that. What's important to me is to just feel good, and whether it's Charlotte or who knows, I'm just looking forward to feeling healthy where I play this week."

Gload quipped that he really is just another fan of the best team in baseball, despite having 13 at-bats with the White Sox in 2005.

"I'm not taking any credit for it," said Gload of the White Sox's amazing start. "Ozzie has other things to worry about besides me. It's like he has said before, that he could care less until I'm one of the 25 guys. That's the way it should be. All the credit goes to these guys and what they have done with the team."

Linky (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050626&content_id=1104733&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

TheOldRoman
06-27-2005, 02:41 PM
I went to the game on Friday, and Ross was taking batting practice. I can't wait for Gload to come back. Paulie needs a few days off, and Gload is an awesome player.

Madvora
06-27-2005, 02:42 PM
on whitesox.com it says that gload will be back pretty soon. That would be excellent news because Konerko really needs a day off.Linky (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050626&content_id=1104733&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

The dire need for Gload's return has really subsided since Konerko has been hitting so well this month. It would be great to have him back, but I'm also glad that there's no hurry. Just make sure he's healthy and can stay in there for the rest of the season without getting hurt.
I think the need for a starter and reliever is much greater, with or without Gload on the team.

DumpJerry
06-27-2005, 03:00 PM
We need Gload back ASAP. I was at Sunday's game against the Flubs and when Everett swung at the first pitch to end the game, I felt that he needs to ship out and let Frank be the Full-Time DH with others giving him a spell. Maybe Carl had a 5:00 dinner reservation somewhere on Sunday.

Ever since Gload went down (and especially after the Timo Perez at First experiment), I've been very concerned about First Base. We do not have a viable backup for Paulie. We need one. It's crazy to not have one.

RKMeibalane
06-27-2005, 03:07 PM
We need Gload back ASAP. I was at Sunday's game against the Flubs and when Everett swung at the first pitch to end the game, I felt that he needs to ship out and let Frank be the Full-Time DH with others giving him a spell. Maybe Carl had a 5:00 dinner reservation somewhere on Sunday.

Ever since Gload went down (and especially after the Timo Perez at First experiment), I've been very concerned about First Base. We do not have a viable backup for Paulie. We need one. It's crazy to not have one.

Join the club. I wasn't too happy with Carl after that at-bat. When you're behind, the last thing you should doing is going after the first pitch, especially with your best hitter standing in the on-deck circle. Everett has done a great job this year, but that at-bat was just brutal.

White Sox Josh
06-27-2005, 03:09 PM
Join the club. I wasn't too happy with Carl after that at-bat. When you're behind, the last thing you should doing is going after the first pitch, especially with your best hitter standing in the on-deck circle. Everett has done a great job this year, but that at-bat was just brutal.Why didn't Ozzie use Iguchi instead of Everett. He is pretty patient at the plate and he does have some pop.

JermaineDye05
06-27-2005, 03:14 PM
I can't wait to see Mr. Clutch, he's great with the bat, and pretty damn good at first, it was good to see him taking batting practice friday

BeviBall!
06-27-2005, 03:15 PM
Paulie needs a few days off, and Gload is an awesome player.

This isn't Mo Vaughn we're talking about here. We do need his above-average offense, but he adds nothing on the defensive side of things. Either way, PK definitely needs a few days off.

RKMeibalane
06-27-2005, 03:16 PM
Why didn't Ozzie use Iguchi instead of Everett. He is pretty patient at the plate and he does have some pop.

Who knows? I'm somewhat concerned over Ozzie's decision to rest Iguchi, after he already got a day off last Sunday against the Dodgers. Unless his back is still bothering him, there's no reason why he shouldn't play every game. I understand that Ozzie wants to keep the reserves sharp, but his recent lineup juggling has me worried.

scottjanssens
06-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Why didn't Ozzie use Iguchi instead of Everett. He is pretty patient at the plate and he does have some pop.

Iguchi bats right handed. Ozzie always goes with the mismatch if he can. I was fine with him batting Everett.

scottjanssens
06-27-2005, 03:18 PM
Who knows? I'm somewhat concerned over Ozzie's decision to rest Iguchi, after he already got a day off last Sunday against the Dodgers. Unless his back is still bothering him, there's no reason why he shouldn't play every game. I understand that Ozzie wants to keep the reserves sharp, but his recent lineup juggling has me worried.

The Japanese baseball season is around 135 games. A month less than MLB. It's not just about resting a day, it's about stamina for the long haul.

Erik The Red
06-27-2005, 03:26 PM
This isn't Mo Vaughn we're talking about here. We do need his above-average offense, but he adds nothing on the defensive side of things. Either way, PK definitely needs a few days off.
Paulie's no defensive wizard himself. The dropoff would be slight if at all.

BeviBall!
06-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Paulie's no defensive wizard himself. The dropoff would be slight if at all.

I think Paulie is well above average defensively. He's no Derrek Lee, but who is? I had the pleasure of watching Gload play RF, right in front of me last year, and he made Timo look like 1-Dog.

First base... that's fine. He makes Timo look like Albert Belle there!

maurice
06-27-2005, 03:59 PM
Everett has 46 RBI in only 213 ABs, mostly because he's hitting .333 w/ RiSP. Let's keep him.

Gload is horrible in the OF, but he's very good at 1B. Konerko OTOH has almost no range.

DaleJRFan
06-27-2005, 04:11 PM
Gload is one of my favorite Sox players. I love his attitude. Gload = grinder. Hope he comes back soon... I hate seeing his bat wasting awa in AAA... especially with the AAA numbers he was putting up.

Steakpita
06-27-2005, 04:15 PM
For some strange reason, I've always hated Ross Gload. Maybe the name? Sorry to all you Gloads out there but it just does not inspire optimism in me.

I say keep Paulie going everyday, our current subs are just fine, as are our current DH's. No Ross!

sorry for (:dtroll: )

doublem23
06-27-2005, 04:20 PM
The Japanese baseball season is around 135 games. A month less than MLB. It's not just about resting a day, it's about stamina for the long haul.

What's the average temperature in Japan during the summer? I wonder if he's ever had to deal with playing in such warm weather.

I'm willing to give Iguchi a few days off here and there so that bat's red hot again in October.

TheOldRoman
06-27-2005, 04:34 PM

I think Paulie is well above average defensively. He's no Derrek Lee, but who is? I had the pleasure of watching Gload play RF, right in front of me last year, and he made Timo look like 1-Dog.

First base... that's fine. He makes Timo look like Albert Belle there!
You're kidding, right?
Ok, I wont argue with your "above average offense comment" although .321 is a little more than "above average". But to say he adds nothing on the defensive side? That is a ridiculous statement. You are basing his first base defense off his outfield defense? That is a joke. You may not have seen many games last year, but when Gload played first, he was great. Gload is a gold glove caliber 1B. He has always been a 1B, and Ozzie decided to have him play some outfield last year. That has no bearing on his 1B skills. Gload >> Konerko defensively. Konerko is good, but he has zero range. The biggest problem with Konerko defensively is hits down the line. He allows a lot of doubles down the line that many other 1B get to.

DaleJRFan
06-27-2005, 04:39 PM
For some strange reason, I've always hated Ross Gload. Maybe the name? Sorry to all you Gloads out there but it just does not inspire optimism in me.

I say keep Paulie going everyday, our current subs are just fine, as are our current DH's. No Ross!

sorry for (:dtroll: )

I suppose you prefer Willie Harris and Timo Perez as lefthanded bench/pitchhit guys???

TimoandAaron
06-27-2005, 04:44 PM
we dont need gload, we have Timo to play first!

TimoandAaron
06-27-2005, 04:44 PM

You hate a guy that is a bench player and drives in 44 runs? How can you hate gload?

Steakpita
06-27-2005, 04:52 PM
Clearly I'm going to have to do some research to back this up... damn, I knew it. :whiner:

As of right now, I'll definitely say that yeah, I like Timo better, if for no better reason than the GW comeback hit against the Angels last year. Hopefully back with better reasons for irrational dislike of Gload tomorrow.

ondafarm
06-27-2005, 04:55 PM

Down by two with a right hander on the mound Carl was the better option.

Huisj
06-27-2005, 05:07 PM
The big question is, who gets sent down if Gload comes back?

Timo Perez would be a decent choice, except that people (especially Guillen)seem to like him a lot for his attitude in the clubhouse and supposed clutch hitting.

Willie Harris could be a choice if Uribe's back gets better, because then Ozuna becomes the regular utility guy again, but then you lose a pretty valuable speed guy off the bench too.

I guess they could try to move Everett, but he seems to be a big part of the team mentality too.

I don't know what they'll do.

brewcrew/chisox
06-27-2005, 05:14 PM
In the past, hasn't Ozzie used Gload late in games as a defensive replacement for PK? He might be nice to have in the playoffs to sure up the corners. I sure didn't like what PK showed me on that grounder in the 7th yesterday...but then again, PK isn't horrible.

BeviBall!
06-27-2005, 05:17 PM
But to say he adds nothing on the defensive side? That is a ridiculous statement. You are basing his first base defense off his outfield defense? That is a joke. You may not have seen many games last year, but when Gload played first, he was great. Gload is a gold glove caliber 1B. He has always been a 1B, and Ozzie decided to have him play some outfield last year. That has no bearing on his 1B skills. Gload >> Konerko defensively.

My comment that Gload makes Timo look like Belle is actaully a compliment to his defense at first.

Paulie picks almost every low throw... something I've seen Ross have problems with. And, I saw plenty of games last year, thank you, which is why I'm not foaming at the mouth just to add him back into the fold. To call him gold-glove caliber is sort of embarrasing. Derrek Lee is gold glove caliber... are you gonna put him on his level??

His value is to give Paulie a day off a week, nothing more, nothing less. B/w Frank and Carl, he'll see zero to no time as a DH.

It will be nice to have another left-handed stick to come off the bench to PH, though. I like Gload, but I know he's a role player, not an everyday player.

Banix12
06-27-2005, 08:10 PM
Can't wait for him to return. We need some of that .375 average he had as a pinch hitter last season, our current bench stinks when it comes to coming off the bench and producing in that role. I vote Timo off of White Sox Island if I had a choice but I figure it's going to be Willie Harris.

Foulke You
06-28-2005, 01:38 AM
Gload needs to come back to the fold for the simple reason that we have absolutely NOBODY ELSE who can backup Paulie at 1B. Uribe, Timo, and Ozuna are not viable options there and anyone who sees Frank hobbling around the basepaths should know that he also isn't an option there. Gload came up with many clutch hits for us last year and is very solid at 1B. I for one, will be happy when he returns. Willie Harris can then be sent back to Charlotte since Ozuna is a much better utility infielder.

NealCotts4Life
06-28-2005, 01:48 AM
Just look at Opening day this year. Rossy makes a great play to get the win that set everything off.

chisox06
06-28-2005, 02:14 AM
A Ross Gload love thread?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/team/broadcasters/broadcaster_cws_harrelson.jpg
YYYYESSSS!

We need Gload back, the guy hit over .300 last year in limited time, has some pop and can play some great D at first. A perfect fit to give Paulie some time off here and there. Plus it would be nice to have another good left handed bat on the team.

OEO Magglio
06-28-2005, 03:42 AM
Ross is actually a very good defensive first baseman much better then Pauly. Ross isn't an outfielder and the wind was nuts on those days you're talking about. If Ross does play the outfield he'll improve every day because he's getting more time out there. I personally can't wait to get Ross back, he can hit, he can run and he's a great defensive first baseman, we need him back.

NealCotts4Life
06-28-2005, 09:11 AM
Well I doubt he'll play much outfield now since his injury was his throwing elbow. Also people say he's bad in the outfield because of that drop in the Cubs series last year. I think he was fairly decent.

EMel9281
06-28-2005, 01:54 PM
The Sox should have called up Greg Norton to spell Konerko while Gload was rehabbing. Then, we wouldn't have had the Timo Perez, First Baseman Extrordinaire, game.

fquaye149
06-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Paulie picks almost every low throw...

. I like Gload, but I know he's a role player, not an everyday player.

a.) lauding a 1B for making picks is like hailing an outfielder for catching balls on the run. Unless you're Chip Caray, you expect it to happen. Especially at the major league level. I know you think Gload's missed picks, but I have seen Paulie miss picks now and then too. It's just like booting a ground ball. Paulie just isn't anywhere near the defensive firstbaseman that Gload is. He's probably a better hitter, but he's certainly not as defensively talented as Gload. Period. But then again, there is that 3-6-3...

b.) I'm confused as to where in this thread anyone suggested Gload play everyday. Was it written in white or something and I just didn't highlight the right spaces?

BeviBall!
06-28-2005, 03:37 PM
a.)I''m confused as to where in this thread anyone suggested Gload play everyday. Was it written in white or something and I just didn't highlight the right spaces?

Cute. Color me just as confused as to why we've been talking about Gload for 3 pages now.

fquaye149
06-28-2005, 03:48 PM
Cute. Color me just as confused as to why we've been talking about Gload for 3 pages now.

people just have been saying they're glad to have him back and he beats anyone but everett off the bench.

some peopel took taht as an assault on PK...but chalk that up to the fogidpk in action

Steakpita
06-28-2005, 03:51 PM
He'll screw up the team chemistry... he and Frank have always had issues... he has a reputation as a me-first player... we don't want to mess up the hot streak Pauly's on...

BeviBall!
06-28-2005, 03:56 PM
people just have been saying they're glad to have him back and he beats anyone but everett off the bench.

some peopel took taht as an assault on PK...but chalk that up to the fogidpk in action

Let's just hope he's back by the break. No more setbacks!

ma_deuce
06-28-2005, 05:17 PM
I think Paulie is well above average defensively.

:roflmao:

Come on... I've been a Paulie defender for a while and even I wouldn't say he was above average defensively.

Deuce

BeviBall!
06-28-2005, 05:23 PM
Come on... I've been a Paulie defender for a while and even I wouldn't say he was above average defensively.

Deuce

Who's head and shoulders better than him in the AL? Erstad maybe... maybe. When you look at how this position has declined in the last few years, be thankful we have PK there. We could be stuck with a Millar or D. Young... or Carlos Martinez.

ma_deuce
06-28-2005, 05:32 PM
Who's head and shoulders better than him in the AL? Erstad maybe... maybe. When you look at how this position has declined in the last few years, be thankful we have PK there. We could be stuck with a Millar or D. Young... or Carlos Martinez.

No maybes about it. You can include Teixeira in that too... and thats not counting the NL 1st basemen (of which several more are better than PK defensively). Konerko is very good all around and I am happy he is with the Sox, but he is not above average defensively in my book.

Deuce

BeviBall!
06-28-2005, 05:37 PM
No maybes about it. You can include Teixeira in that too... and thats not counting the NL 1st basemen (of which several more are better than PK defensively). Konerko is very good all around and I am happy he is with the Sox, but he is not above average defensively in my book.

Deuce

NL's a different game though and there are, at least, 5 or 6 better I can think of off the top of my head as well.

Teixiera is good in the field, but I'm not ready to say he's head and shoulders above PK just yet. Would I want him instead? Hell's yeah.

This should be a point for discussion. Remember when 1st was the deepest position in baseball? Surely the AL. What the heck happened?

maurice
06-28-2005, 06:13 PM
NL's a different game though

:?:
How is the NL "a different game," rendering the defensive abilities of NL 1B irrelevant to this discussion? Plenty of NL 1Bs are former AL 1Bs, and the opposite is also true. Also, why do they have to be "head and shoulders" above Konerko. Better is better. In fact, for Konerko to be "well above average," he's the one who needs to be head and shoulders above almost everybody else . . . which he's not, especially when it comes to range.

Remember when 1st was the deepest position in baseball? Surely the AL. What the heck happened?

The good hitters in the league used to be disproportionately fat, slow guys who could only play 1B. That's no longer the case. Any top hitter in the game is capable of playing 1B. However, unlike Konerko, most of them are talented enough to play a more demanding position.

Ol' No. 2
06-28-2005, 06:27 PM
:?:
How is the NL "a different game," rendering the defensive abilities of NL 1B irrelevant to this discussion? Plenty of NL 1Bs are former AL 1Bs, and the opposite is also true. Also, why do they have to be "head and shoulders" above Konerko. Better is better. In fact, for Konerko to be "well above average," he's the one who needs to be head and shoulders above almost everybody else . . . which he's not, especially when it comes to range.

The good hitters in the league used to be disproportionately fat, slow guys who could only play 1B. That's no longer the case. Any top hitter in the game is capable of playing 1B. However, unlike Konerko, most of them are talented enough to play a more demanding position.A disproportiante share of DH's are former 1B. So in the AL, a good-hitting but weak-fielding 1B can DH, but in the NL he's probably playing the field since his bat will be too good to take out of the lineup.

First base is arguably the most defensively-challenged position on the field. There are only a few that one would regard as good fielders. Compared to other 1B, IMO Konerko is somewhat above average. Some have better range, but PK actually has good reflexes and a decent first step (it's the second step that is S-L-O-W) and he's better at picking balls out of the dirt than most. This is not to say PK is a particularly good fielder, but that the number of butchers playing 1B pull the average down.

JMO

maurice
06-28-2005, 06:53 PM
in the NL he's probably playing the field since his bat will be too good to take out of the lineup.

That would make NL 1Bs relatively worse defensively. The post I replied to seems to suggest that they're relatively better defensively and, thus, incomparable to AL 1Bs.

IMHO, Konerko is good at picking balls and throwing, but his range is absolutely horrible. Since many 1Bs have significantly greater range than Konerko, it's extremely unlikely that he is "well above average," as one poster claimed.