PDA

View Full Version : AJ Burnett to Sox?

dcb33
06-27-2005, 09:11 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3720056

The Marlins are engaged in preliminary discussions about Burnett with the Orioles and a second, unidentified American League club. Their goal in trading Burnett, who will be a free agent at the end of the season, would be to obtain three major-league parts a young starting pitcher, quality reliever and left-handed hitting outfielder.

We certainly have those three parts to do the deal....

ilsox7
06-27-2005, 09:13 AM
I can see giving up 2 of those 3, but not all 3. The other question is: how much will AJ bring on the free agent market this year. Would there be any possibility in locking him up like we did Freddy.

Probly lots of deep pink needed there.

doublem23
06-27-2005, 09:26 AM
I can see giving up 2 of those 3, but not all 3. The other question is: how much will AJ bring on the free agent market this year. Would there be any possibility in locking him up like we did Freddy.

Probly lots of deep pink needed there.

Well the very fact that A.J. can look back to the free agent off-season in '04-'05 makes signing him to a Freddy Garcia-esque extension unlikely. However, the question is then raised, with the tremendous growth out of Neal Cotts this year, are we willing to put our eggs in that basket and let Neal finish out the year in the bullpen, and then replace him in the off-season so that he can be bumped up to #5 on the depth chart in '06. And, of course, we still have El Duque around next year, and I really don't see the Sox moving him, no matter how irate KW is with him, based on his post-season history. Burnett is going to get a fat paycheck next year; there's just too many imbeciles running baseball teams for him not to.

And lastly, you just have to ask yourself how much do you trust Ken Rosenthal? And how much do we really want Burnett? We're looking to supplement a guy who's been on the rocks lately because of his chronic injury problems.. with a guy with chronic injury problems?

I guess you can never have enough pitching.

Were are all our Marlin fan buddies to chirp in on this deal? Maybe they can let us know how fantastic Billy Koch did for them last year. :rolleyes:

Flight #24
06-27-2005, 09:29 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/3720056

We certainly have those three parts to do the deal....

I assume you're referring to Ray Liotta, Feliz Diaz, and Joe Borchard?

Seriously, I hope you don't mean BMac+Everett+Marte (or something similar). You don't gut your team's depth and trade arguably the best pitching prospect in all of baseball for a 3-month rental.

ilsox7
06-27-2005, 09:31 AM
Well the very fact that A.J. can look back to the free agent off-season in '04-'05 makes signing him to a Freddy Garcia-esque extension unlikely. However, the question is then raised, with the tremendous growth out of Neal Cotts this year, are we willing to put our eggs in that basket and let Neal finish out the year in the bullpen, and then replace him in the off-season so that he can be bumped up to #5 on the depth chart in '06. And, of course, we still have El Duque around next year, and I really don't see the Sox moving him, no matter how irate KW is with him, based on his post-season history. Burnett is going to get a fat paycheck next year; there's just too many imbeciles running baseball teams for him not to.

And lastly, you just have to ask yourself how much do you trust Ken Rosenthal? And how much do we really want Burnett? We're looking to supplement a guy who's been on the rocks lately because of his chronic injury problems.. with a guy with chronic injury problems?

I guess you can never have enough pitching.

Were are all our Marlin fan buddies to chirp in on this deal? Maybe they can let us know how fantastic Billy Koch did for them last year. :rolleyes:

I agree with pretty much everything you said. If we actually did go out and get AJ, I think it'd be more as using him as a building block for the rotation. It'd be expensive, but also scary to have AJ, MB, FG, and JG locked up for the next 3-4 years. But the problem would then be we also have Orlando and Contreras locked up for next year. All in all, an extremely unlikely scenario. But WOW, think of THAT staff for the next several years.

ilsox7
06-27-2005, 09:32 AM

Seriously, I hope you don't mean BMac+Everett+Marte (or something similar). You don't gut your team's depth and trade arguably the best pitching prospect in all of baseball for a 3-month rental.

About the only person I'd consider giving up 2 major league parts for (not including BMac as a major league part) would be Clemens. He would be worth the rental.

EMel9281
06-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Ok, I know we all (or some) like to speculate about possible trades to improve our club. Plus, I'm only writing about this because I have read a couple of different articles, one that deals directly about the Sox, and another about a blockbuster trade.

The blockbuster is that the Marlins are reportedly in talks with the Orioles and "unidentified AL club" for a deal that would send AJ Burnett to another club. The Marlins are looking for a young starter, quality reliever, and a LH hitting outfielder. So, what about a package of McCarthy, Marte/Vizcaino, Timo/Borchard for AJ Burnett? I know we're giving up on McCarthy with this deal, but the possibility of resigning AJ for next year and his presence for the postseason would be awesome. We can also allieviate the Borchard situation and/or when Gload comes back, he has a spot if Timo goes. Additionally, I think it's time to part ways with Damaso. He was excellent his first year in a Sox uniform, but since, he's slowly on a decline. With the emergence of Cotts as the premier LH-er in the pen, we could use Walker in mop up situations. If it's Vizcaino, we could use Adkins again, as he was pretty good from what I recall from last year.

The article that I read that dealt directly with the Sox was about the Sox needing a quality RH reliever. It mentioned that we should get Hasegawa from Mariners. He's had 1 bad outing that caused his ERA to balloon to over 4, but for the most part, he's lights out.

What do you guys think about these two scenarios? Is there anyone else you'd like to see on this team that isn't already?

Rocky Soprano
06-27-2005, 11:33 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52964

EMel9281
06-27-2005, 11:35 AM
Thanks!

I guess the Mods should delete this or merge the two...

Man, I suck...

Tragg
06-27-2005, 11:38 AM
Why do we want this pitcher? We don't need Burnett. We need someone better than our top 3 starters (which he assuredly is not) or perhaps a 5th starter on the cheap.
He's never won more than 12 games
He hasn't pitched 200 innings since 2002.
He's a national league pitcher, so the numbers are inflated.
The price you suggest is absurdly high for a #4 quality guy.
Pass
The marlins did this last year - then, the Dodgers were their willing dupe.

dcb33
06-27-2005, 11:57 AM

No freakin' way the Sox should give up that much. I think the Marlins initial asking price is way too high for what they are offering, especially since they are so desperate for hitting. I'd say Everett for Burnett straight up, or possibly Everett+Viz/Everett+prospects for Burnett+prospects would be a reasonably fair deal. However, I don't think the Sox should part ways with Everett until Gload is back and can be counted on to relieve Frank.

sircaffey1
06-27-2005, 12:15 PM
No freakin' way the Sox should give up that much. I think the Marlins initial asking price is way too high for what they are offering, especially since they are so desperate for hitting. I'd say Everett for Burnett straight up, or possibly Everett+Viz/Everett+prospects for Burnett+prospects would be a reasonably fair deal. However, I don't think the Sox should part ways with Everett until Gload is back and can be counted on to relieve Frank.

Everett straight up for Burnett? Now you are going insane...Everett is not a hot commodity by any stretch. There would be a handful of teams lining up for Burnett. Everett straight up would be the worst offer out of all offers the Marlins receive.

Soxrockhead2BANNEDagain
06-27-2005, 12:21 PM
Well I would rather have schmidt what happen to my thread?

We need to get rid of borchard and I wouldent mind giving up vizquiano to and maybe everett but only for schmidt.

Soxrockhead2BANNEDagain
06-27-2005, 12:40 PM
Do you guys like my signature? lol well Its was sumthin else.

Chisox003
06-27-2005, 12:43 PM
Well I would rather have schmidt what happen to my thread?
We need to get rid of borchard and I wouldent mind giving up vizquiano to and maybe everett but only for schmidt.
:thud:

Borchard and Vizcaino involved in a trade for Schmidt?!?!?

Then add another aging outfielder converted DH to a team who's average age is already 48???
HAAAA! Put it down.... :bong:

dcb33
06-27-2005, 12:53 PM
Everett straight up for Burnett? Now you are going insane...Everett is not a hot commodity by any stretch. There would be a handful of teams lining up for Burnett. Everett straight up would be the worst offer out of all offers the Marlins receive.

It must be the heat, give me a break.:rolleyes:

I'm not high on this deal because it'd put us in a bidding war for a mediocre pitcher who has a history of injuries and will likely walk at the end of the season. It'd be fine with me if KW feigns interest while the Twins, Red Sox, or Orioles overpay. If the Sox are ready to go for broke and give up half the farm to land another pitcher, I'd rather KW go under the radar and land a premium rental like Clemens or go after someone good with time left on their contract who's on a bad team that's looking to dump $$$.

White Sox Josh
06-27-2005, 12:54 PM
You know I'm not ready to throw El Duque and Contreras out the windows because they had a bad outing. They don't need another starting pitcher like they did last year. If they go for another SP try to get one that can be used in the Bullpen and be brought into the Rotation if anyone gets hurt or is ineffective. A good guy to get might be Miguel Batista.

ChiSoxRowand
06-27-2005, 01:04 PM
As long as the Marlins are in the race, I don't see them trading Burnett. He will finish the year with the Marlins and then sign a deal with a certain AL East team that plays in New York.

DaleJRFan
06-27-2005, 01:07 PM
I can see this as a possiblity... Sweeney, McCarthy, Baj.... but I'd wager they would want young, low salary players who could make an immediate impact, players like Rowand, Cotts, etc.

Maybe I'm dreaming... but if they could pull it off with prospects and sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal, I'd do cartwheels.

MIgrenade
06-27-2005, 04:50 PM
I can see this as a possiblity... Sweeney, McCarthy, Baj.... but I'd wager they would want young, low salary players who could make an immediate impact, players like Rowand, Cotts, etc.

Maybe I'm dreaming... but if they could pull it off with prospects and sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal, I'd do cartwheels.

KW is not about to trade major leaguers that aren't in the bullpen (I can see Cotts going because they wont need him as a starter). The Marlins will want low salary guys, so that means prospects. KW won't give up Rowand since that would leave a big vacancy, but Anderson is seen by most to be a major league ready player. IF the Sox can sign AJ and have a rotation of MB, FG, JG, AJ, and BM (hopefully he's as good as we think) for the next 3 years I think they have a chance to win every year because, as Hawk would say, "That makes the Sox dangerous."

JermaineDye05
06-27-2005, 05:09 PM
i don't think Kenny wants Cotts to get going after the way he's been pitching as of late, he's been lights out, and don't worry bout B-Mac or Anderson they are his "untouchables", I sure hope Ryan Sweeney is too

JermaineDye05
06-27-2005, 05:24 PM
The Angels, White Sox and Twins are not believed to be currently interested.

juts thought you should see that quote from the same article

Soxrockhead2BANNEDagain
06-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Kill this thread he is going to Baltimore.

DaleJRFan
06-28-2005, 01:23 PM
KW is not about to trade major leaguers that aren't in the bullpen (I can see Cotts going because they wont need him as a starter). The Marlins will want low salary guys, so that means prospects. KW won't give up Rowand since that would leave a big vacancy, but Anderson is seen by most to be a major league ready player. IF the Sox can sign AJ and have a rotation of MB, FG, JG, AJ, and BM (hopefully he's as good as we think) for the next 3 years I think they have a chance to win every year because, as Hawk would say, "That makes the Sox dangerous."

I know, I was just talking ou of my ass as usual. He's going to Baltimore anyway.