PDA

View Full Version : New Statue at the Cell...

Joosh
06-27-2005, 01:21 AM
Sculpture of White Sox legend Carlton
Fisk to be unveiled at U.S. Cellular Field

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox will unveil a life-sized sculpture of franchise legend Carlton "Pudge" Fisk to honor his place in White Sox history on Sunday, August 7, 2005. Fisk will participate in the sculpture's unveiling before throwing out the ceremonial first pitch before the 2:05 p.m. White Sox vs. Seattle Mariners game.
The Fisk sculpture will be placed on the main concourse in left field. Fisk's will be the third of a series of sculptures to be unveiled honoring White Sox greats. Sculptures of club founder Charles A. Comiskey and Cuban great Orestes "Minnie" Minoso were unveiled in 2004.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050626&content_id=1104647&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Mr. White Sox
06-27-2005, 01:29 AM
This is very cool and all, but why Fisk? (this is not based on whether I like him or not; he was my favorite past sox player) Before completely bashing me, hear this: didn't Fisk have beef with management after his career? Even after playing more years with the WSox, he donned a Red Flubs cap for the HOF. Why not a Nellie Fox or Big Frank statue (when he retires of course)?

EDIT:
Whoa! Minnie's name is Orestes? Kickass.

CubKilla
06-27-2005, 01:41 AM
Before completely bashing me, hear this: didn't Fisk have beef with management after his career? Even after playing more years with the WSox, he donned a Red Flubs cap for the HOF. Why not a Nellie Fox or Big Frank statue (when he retires of course)?

EDIT:
Whoa! Minnie's name is Orestes? Kickass.

I'd have worn a Cubs hat into the HoF if I was screwed the way that Fisk was. Reinsy will (and does) look like a total tool razing a Fisk statue after F'ing him back in the day. Good job Jerry.....

Nellie_Fox
06-27-2005, 01:52 AM
I'm as big a Fisk fan as anyone, but Nellie, Little Louie, Shoeless Joe, Ted Lyons, and Luke Appling should get statues first. Big Frank's is assured, but yet to come.

TheOldRoman
06-27-2005, 02:31 AM
I'm as big a Fisk fan as anyone, but Nellie, Little Louie, Shoeless Joe, Ted Lyons, and Luke Appling should get statues first. Big Frank's is assured, but yet to come.
I agree. Now about the Frank statue, I want it 40 feet tall and standing outside the park behind homeplate.:D:

Wsoxmike59
06-27-2005, 06:23 AM
Maybe this is Reinsdorf's way of mending the fence with Fisk.

I was as upset as the next guy at how the White Sox treated Carlton Fisk at the end of his career. That was a real horse$&!+ play on management's part how they released him.

I was at the game in 1997 when they retired Fisk's # 72, that was the infamous game when Terry Bevington called in a reliever and NOBODY was warming up in the Bullpen at the time!

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-27-2005, 06:49 AM
I agree. Now about the Frank statue, I want it 40 feet tall and standing outside the park behind homeplate.:D:

Not sure about 40', but a nice Big Hurt Statue on the park would be awesome. I have a feeling these statues, as they continue to make them, will be placed along the concourses, both LD and UD.

Know what I'd like to see? No BS? A Bill Veeck Statue.

The Dude
06-27-2005, 07:17 AM
I was at the game in 1997 when they retired Fisk's # 72, that was the infamous game when Terry Bevington called in a reliever and NOBODY was warming up in the Bullpen at the time!

oh god, how could anyone forget that!

TomBradley72
06-27-2005, 07:30 AM
I hope Pierce is next.....with pitching such a big part of our history....it's a shame the statues aren't a little more visible...they are kind of tucked away.

GoSox2K3
06-27-2005, 07:36 AM
I hope Pierce is next.....with pitching such a big part of our history....it's a shame the statues aren't a little more visible...they are kind of tucked away.

Tucked away? They are right on the main concourse. Where else would you place them? :?:

GregoryEtc
06-27-2005, 07:51 AM
I think they should make some statues of fans to put in the empty seats so it looks like there are more people at the games.

itsnotrequired
06-27-2005, 09:41 AM
Tucked away? They are right on the main concourse. Where else would you place them? :?:

They should put the statues on the field for more visibility.

Also, good call on the Veeck statue. In true Veeck fashion, it should do something exotic. Like light up or something.

Hitmen77
06-27-2005, 09:56 AM
They should put the statues on the field for more visibility.

Also, good call on the Veeck statue. In true Veeck fashion, it should do something exotic. Like light up or something.

Good idea, statues in the field would add much-need character to the playing field at Sox Park - much like the idiotic hill in the outfield at Houston.

itsnotrequired
06-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Good idea, statues in the field would add much-need character to the playing field at Sox Park - much like the idiotic hill in the outfield at Houston.

What, no teal for "idiotic"?:tongue:

Tom~Attitude
06-27-2005, 10:13 AM
There remains a throng of disgruntled Fisk fans that will not put a nickle in Mr. Reinsdorfs pocket until he fully makes up for his shabby treatment of 72.

The number retirement was a start..but ever since Harold's number was retired (some feel prematurely and as a suck up to fans) the number thing lacks credibility.

The statue is a good statement of Pudge's standing with the fans.

Steakpita
06-27-2005, 10:21 AM
The Bill Veeck statue should be moved around the ballpark randomly from day to day - one game it's out in right field looking at Jermaine, the next it's in a bathroom stall on the 300 level, then it's out by the terrible sax player in the parking lots.. etc. Christmas lights are a good idea too.

Big Frank, on the other hand, should be somewhere in view of the opposing bullpen. Just to throw the fear of god into them.

Baby Fisk
06-27-2005, 10:52 AM
The Bill Veeck statue should be moved around the ballpark randomly from day to day - one game it's out in right field looking at Jermaine, the next it's in a bathroom stall on the 300 level, then it's out by the terrible sax player in the parking lots.. etc. Christmas lights are a good idea too.

That would be very amusing. Veeck would love it. And hey, welcome aboard! :cheers:

TimoandAaron
06-27-2005, 10:55 AM
I think they should make some statues of fans to put in the empty seats so it looks like there are more people at the games.yea. so Scrub fans cannot complain about the attendance, plus i could go to every game. The statues would have to be mechanical though, so they could stand and clap. What a great idea.

TomBradley72
06-27-2005, 05:06 PM

Not everyone does the full lap around the ballpark and sees the outfield concourse....Comerica Park, Pacbell, PNC Park, and others have statues of their former greats in more prominent positions (outside a main entrance to the park, elevated off ground level so they can be seen from just about anywhere, etc. Not a big deal...but that's what I meant.

SaltyPretzel
06-27-2005, 07:28 PM

They could have his statue sitting in the bleachers.

skobabe8
06-27-2005, 09:44 PM

Big Frank, on the other hand, should be somewhere in view of the opposing bullpen. Just to throw the fear of god into them.

Thats a pretty good idea. :smile:

Stroker Ace
06-27-2005, 09:48 PM
Why isn't there a Shoeless Joe statue yet? I think that there should be a Shoeless Joe statue erected before a Fisk statue is put up.

Red Barchetta
06-27-2005, 10:04 PM
There was an earlier post about small ways we can still improve the ballpark now that the major funding has been provided. In addition to the charcoal windows to replace the existing blue windows, I think the SOX should erect more statues in the concourse honoring SOX greats.

I'm not crazy about the current outfield wall murals and I think intermixing statues with trees on the concourse would help further soften the feel of the Cell. It would be more like a walk through a park of White Sox history....

ChiSoxRowand
06-27-2005, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. White Sox]Even after playing more years with the WSox, he donned a Red Flubs cap for the HOF.
QUOTE]

Doesn't the Hall of Fame pick which cap you wear? I remember Clemens had a temper tantrum a couple years ago because they said he would have to wear a Red Sox cap.

Lip Man 1
06-27-2005, 10:55 PM
When Fisk went in players still had the option.

That week in extensive interviews with the Chicago papers, Fisk graciously thanked the fans for all their support stating that he has made Chicago his home and his kids were born here, that they consider Chicago not Boston home. He stated his choosing a Red Sox hat had nothing whatever to do with Sox fans. The implication was there for all to see...it was with Sox management / ownership.

Lip

NealCotts4Life
06-27-2005, 11:26 PM
I just can't wait for the Pablo Ozuna statue.

Rocklive99
06-27-2005, 11:35 PM
I'm not sure if I like any statues, because then it brings up arguments about who/when/etc. I like what they have on the LF wall and I think retiring of the numbers is respectful enough.

Having said that, I'd never oppose a Frank statue and expect one in the future.

Norberto7
06-27-2005, 11:45 PM
Why isn't there a Shoeless Joe statue yet? I think that there should be a Shoeless Joe statue erected before a Fisk statue is put up.

Well.....I am sure we can all think of at least one reason...say what you will about his batting average and what not in the series, the fact remains he was banned from baseball. There are better options before him.

RedPinStripes
06-27-2005, 11:58 PM
I like Fisk, but I think they should have had another Sox great first. This one is clearly from Jerry .

:reinsy
"I'm sorry Pudge. Wanna be a bench coach?"

Nellie_Fox
06-28-2005, 01:11 AM
[QUOTE=Mr. White Sox]Doesn't the Hall of Fame pick which cap you wear? I remember Clemens had a temper tantrum a couple years ago because they said he would have to wear a Red Sox cap.As was stated above, that only started fairly recently. It used to be the choice of the player, but when teams started putting huge bonus clauses into the contracts of free-agent washed-up superstars to give them a big chunk of money to wear that team's cap into the HOF (Wade Boggs' contract with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays promised him several hundred thousand dollars for having his HOF plaque show the D-Rays cap,) the HOF stepped in and said they would make the final decision.

I think they still ask the player his preference, but retain veto power.

soxfanreggie
06-28-2005, 01:33 AM
I disagree with getting this statue before other ones...Appling, Fox, etc. I was at Fisk's jersey retirement game too. He doesn't deserve a statue ahead of a lot more worthy Sox players. Personally, I don't like Fisk. He was never a friendly person and was often mean to people. Maybe he got along with other fans better, but I know plenty of people who would disagree with Fisk getting a statue.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-28-2005, 07:26 AM
They could have his statue sitting in the bleachers.

I like the Veeck statue (since I posted it), but I like this twist on it better. Where better a place to be but in the back row of the bleachers?

soxrme
06-28-2005, 10:31 AM
When Fisk went in players still had the option.

That week in extensive interviews with the Chicago papers, Fisk graciously thanked the fans for all their support stating that he has made Chicago his home and his kids were born here, that they consider Chicago not Boston home. He stated his choosing a Red Sox hat had nothing whatever to do with Sox fans. The implication was there for all to see...it was with Sox management / ownership.

Lip
Whether or not it had nothing to do with SOX fans it was a giant slap in the face to the fans who came to see him play for the White Sox. His kids grew up here and he was always cheered here. As far as I am concerned put the statue in Fenway not here. Louie and Nellie deserve it long before him. He hung around here to long trying to break whatever the hell record he had. His arrogance caused a lot of the treatment he got.:angry:

RKMeibalane
06-28-2005, 10:43 AM
I'm waiting for the Jerry Manuel statue.

On a serious note, does anyone know what happened to the fans who vandalized the Minnie statue?

owensmouth
06-28-2005, 10:55 AM
Why isn't there a Shoeless Joe statue yet? I think that there should be a Shoeless Joe statue erected before a Fisk statue is put up.1) Because he played the majority of his career for other teams. 2) Because he participated in the throwing of the World Series. 3) Because he was permanently banned from baseball.

GregoryEtc
06-28-2005, 11:37 AM
1) Because he played the majority of his career for other teams. 2) Because he participated in the throwing of the World Series. 3) Because he was permanently banned from baseball.

But he was great in Goodfellas!

mjharrison72
06-28-2005, 11:50 AM
Although I agree there are other Sox greats who probably deserve a statue first, and that Jerry is likely doing this at least in part as a peace offering, I also think it's important to unveil the statues they can while these players are still alive.

I'm not really sure how many of the players mentioned here are still living (obviously Shoeless Joe is gone, and Minoso was here for the unveiling of his statue), but probably best to be able to have the players present.

I, for one, will be getting tickets for that August 2 game.

pythons007
06-28-2005, 11:56 AM
I would love to see a Sammy Sosa, Jose Canseco, or a Todd Richey statue. They were great here!!:gulp:

Corlose 15
06-28-2005, 02:32 PM
I think a great idea for a statue(if possible) would be Aparicio and Fox turning a double play.

TomBradley72
06-28-2005, 03:19 PM
Although I agree there are other Sox greats who probably deserve a statue first, and that Jerry is likely doing this at least in part as a peace offering, I also think it's important to unveil the statues they can while these players are still alive.

I'm not really sure how many of the players mentioned here are still living (obviously Shoeless Joe is gone, and Minoso was here for the unveiling of his statue), but probably best to be able to have the players present.

I, for one, will be getting tickets for that August 2 game.

I agree.

The Fisk signing restored credibility to the franchise...he have us over a decade of service, perennial All Star, part of the '83 team....so what if he was a grouch....he was a great player.

Fenway
06-28-2005, 03:41 PM
As much as Joe Jackson SHOULD be there he won't be until Bud Selig unbans him, and that won't happen as long as Jerome Holtzman is MLB's (Selig's) official historian.

http://www2.dailynewspix.com/dispThum.asp?file=%5C%5Cdnp01%5Cdailynews%5CWEB%5C 2002%5CNov+22+02%5Cdir0001%5CN1991586%2Ejpg&sz=350&m=si&r=0 (http://www2.dailynewspix.com/preview.asp#)

LongLiveFisk
06-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Putting the Fisk statue in LEFT FIELD? Oh, I'm sure he'll love that! :tongue:

Hitmen77
06-28-2005, 04:17 PM
....I, for one, will be getting tickets for that August 2 game.

It's the August 7th game.

Lip Man 1
06-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Soxrm:

Well that's your opinion and you have a right to it. Based on the things I've been told on and off the record, Fisk was well within' his rights to be pissed at ownership plus he's a native New Englander and those roots ran very deep for him.

Lip

steff
06-28-2005, 05:05 PM
He hung around here to long trying to break whatever the hell record he had. His arrogance caused a lot of the treatment he got.:angry:

Uhh.. excuse you.. wrong. Jerry, believe it or not, fought Einhorn to keep Fisk on the team because Jerry wanted him to get the record in a Sox uniform. And while Fisk is pissed at Jerry, he's more pissed at Eddie. Eddie is the one that locked the door on him in Cleveland.. not Jerry - although he did nothing to stop it.

And no matter what.. that wave to first base was classic and unforgetable baseball and it was done in a Boston uniform. I have no issue with Fisk wearing a Boston hat into the hall. He did his job and played his ass off while here.. that's ALL he owed the fans.

Fenway
06-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Soxrm:

Well that's your opinion and you have a right to it. Based on the things I've been told on and off the record, Fisk was well within' his rights to be pissed at ownership plus he's a native New Englander and those roots ran very deep for him.

Lip

Fisk never would have left Boston if it hadn't been for Haywood Sullivan and Buddy LeRioux.

I think 2 factors entered into why he chose to go into Cooperstown as a Red Sox.

The way he was released by the White Sox was shameful and then not being allowed in the dressing room during the playoffs. The other reason is historic. Fisk is remembered by most casual baseball fans for ONE reason, and that happened in a Boston uniform.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/bosox/fisk75.jpg

skobabe8
06-28-2005, 05:30 PM
Alot of good points on this topic.

Fisk has deep roots in new England, had his greatest moment come with the Red Sox, and is allowed to wear any cap he wants in the Hall. I have no problem with that. We had our shot and Jerry and Eddie blew it.

Good point about unveiling statues while these guys are still alive. Everyone would love to see a statue of Nellie and Louie, and I think it will come eventually.

Just because Shoeless Joe was banned doesnt mean we cant recognize him. He is on the huge picture of the all-century team outside the cell. Does anyone know if Great American Ballpark has anything of Pete Rose? Statue or otherwise? We need a statue of Shoeless Joe.

RedHeadPaleHoser
07-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Just because Shoeless Joe was banned doesnt mean we cant recognize him. He is on the huge picture of the all-century team outside the cell. Does anyone know if Great American Ballpark has anything of Pete Rose? Statue or otherwise? We need a statue of Shoeless Joe.

I thought Marge was gonna build a Pete Rose OTB.

soxfan1965
07-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Could the timing of the Fisk statue have anything to do with the left field foul pole at Fenway named after Fisk? Maybe the White Sox have to keep up with the Red Sox and retain our "share" of Fisk. I've always admired the toughness of Fisk, which Sports Illustrated in 1973 described as "the New England Grit of Mr. Fisk". Maybe the hardness of a statue will remind us of Fisk's rock solid grit-- that pushed him to work out at Comiskey well after games or even criticize an opponent dogging it to first base. This kind of grit can help the current team not just win the division but execute during the playoffs onto the World Series. They may have it, but maybe having Fisk around could encourgage it even more.

The Racehorse
07-02-2005, 06:57 PM
http://www2.dailynewspix.com/dispThum.asp?file=%5C%5Cdnp01%5Cdailynews%5CWEB%5C 2002%5CNov+22+02%5Cdir0001%5CN1991586%2Ejpg&sz=350&m=si&r=0 (http://www2.dailynewspix.com/preview.asp#)

Another one for my archives... thanks fenway! :cool:

RadioheadRocks
07-02-2005, 07:34 PM
Maybe this is Reinsdorf's way of mending the fence with Fisk.

Or maybe it's a twisted way for Jerry to get the last laugh... you know wherever there are statues there are usually pigeons right above them...

White Sox Josh
07-02-2005, 07:56 PM
Fisk never would have left Boston if it hadn't been for Haywood Sullivan and Buddy LeRioux.

I think 2 factors entered into why he chose to go into Cooperstown as a Red Sox.

The way he was released by the White Sox was shameful and then not being allowed in the dressing room during the playoffs. The other reason is historic. Fisk is remembered by most casual baseball fans for ONE reason, and that happened in a Boston uniform.

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/al/bosox/fisk75.jpg

I agree with Fenway completely on why he went into the HOF as a Red Sox. That doesn't mean it was right though. Fisk had his best years as a White Sox and spent more time with the White Sox than with the Red Sox. The Stats speak for themselves of when he was with the Sox. Even you Fenway have to admit that Fisk should be remembered as White Sox.