PDA

View Full Version : Mariners Celebrate 10-Yr Anniversary of '95 ALCS

Brian26
06-26-2005, 11:03 PM
I guess when you're the Mariners, you don't have a whole lot to celebrate, so you have to make do with this. Anyway, they're celebrating the 10-yr anniversary of the '95 team all year, and they're replaying that Game 5 ALDS game against the Yankees on Monday. I'm no M's fan, but that was one of the greatest finishes I've ever seen. I can still remember Musberger's call: "Griiffey...around third...coming home...here's the throw....Mariners win!"

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050625&content_id=1103385&vkey=news_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea

TheOldRoman
06-27-2005, 02:19 AM
Well, it was a very special season for Seattle. The Mariners were near dead in September, I believe they were behind by double digits into the last month. They just kept on winning, and the Angels fell apart. The Mariners won the 1 game playoff 9-1, and then went on to beat the Yankees in a very memorable series.

Most importantly, that was the series that saved Seattle baseball. It really put the Mariners on the map, got the city behind them, and helped lead the team into a new ballpark. I met a guy from Seattle at work a few months ago, and he told me that the whole city looks at the 95 team with reverence.

chaerulez
06-27-2005, 10:18 AM
It did have the game that "saved Seattle baseball".

RKMeibalane
06-27-2005, 12:00 PM
That was a great series. It marked the end of Don Mattingly's career, and irronically, the beginning of the Yankees title run, as they would finally win the WS the following year (1996). I am somewhat surprised, however, that the man who invented baseball couldn't get his team past the Mariners in that series. The Yankees should have been able to win easily.

Soxzilla
06-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Any way us in Chicago could get this channel...

Or can someone tape it that is in the NW. I'd pay for it.:cool:

I still remember where I was when Edgar hit that double.

scottjanssens
06-27-2005, 01:41 PM
I still remember where I was when Edgar hit that double.

That double is to M's fans what Thomson's HR is to Giant's fans.

White Sox Josh
06-27-2005, 01:44 PM
But i thought that they would celebrate the HOF inductions of Jeremy Reed and Miguel Olivo.:smile:

RKMeibalane
06-27-2005, 02:08 PM
But i thought that they would celebrate the HOF inductions of Jeremy Reed and Miguel Olivo.:smile:

They're only going to do that if jeremyb1 can attend the ceremonies.

mike squires
06-28-2005, 02:53 PM
I was at a Wilco concert during one of the games aginst the Yankees. Tweedy asked the crowd if anyone knew who won. When someone shouted back Seattle, he said, "good."

VeeckAsInWreck
06-29-2005, 11:00 AM
I guess when you're the Mariners, you don't have a whole lot to celebrate

Back off, we're not exactly running out of room for championship flags either. Perhaps that will change this year.