PDA

View Full Version : Four things I learned from the cub fan behind me today

robiwho
06-26-2005, 08:40 PM
1. AJ is an "automatic easy out." :?:
2. We got AJ from Minnesota. :rolleyes:
3. Jose Valentine is now in Seattle. :o:

And my personal favorite...

4. "I'm so glad they traded Carlos Lee so we don't have to face him six times a year anymore." :rolling:

Sometimes it's just too easy...

chisoxmike
06-26-2005, 09:09 PM
A Cub fan in front of me started dancing when Twist and Shout came on in the 7th, he looked at me and my friend and said "Don't you guys want to dance?" We just stonewalled him. He said "Oh Sox fans are mad today arn't they?" I said "I guess." A little later he turned over to me and said "Hey man, I just like baseball, and the Sox are going to the World Series this year so dont worry about it."

I dont know about you guys... but I hate all the World Series talk. Yeah its great that people think it, I mean , when was the last time people were talking about it with the Sox??? Just play ball and lets see what unfolds. We have a great team here, something special can be happening here, but lets focus on winning the divison first. :D:

Ozuna38
06-26-2005, 09:12 PM
4. "I'm so glad they traded Carlos Lee so we don't have to face him six times a year anymore." :rolling:

Hahaha, thats great

C-Dawg
06-26-2005, 10:17 PM
I had a group of 50-or-so-year-old Cub fans behind me all game who spent the whole time talking about their jobs, etc; anything but the game. And to my right was a Cub fan with his girlfriend who between the two of them were on the phone the whole time. They seemed to know nothing about the game, and would often find themselves clapping whenever there was clapping, be it for the Cubs or Sox. They just didn't have a clue what was happening on the field.

samram
06-26-2005, 10:57 PM

Well, maybe they are happy because they didn't get to see him as often as they wished. 19 times should be just about right for him to kill their playoff hopes.

White Sox Josh
06-26-2005, 11:17 PM
One thing I've always known about most cubs fans....They are dumbasses.

DumpJerry
06-26-2005, 11:25 PM
My favorite thing that happened while at today's (Sunday) game, well, ok, the only thing that made me smile at all today took place in the 4th.

One on First, one out and D. Lee. was up. These noisy Flub fans who were behind me on the 200 level terrace (I was in 155) started chanting "MVP MVP MVP" over and over. Other Flub fans joined in. It was quite loud. When D. Lee gounded into a double play, all us Sox fans turned to the Flub fans on the terrace, pointed at them and chanted verrrrrry loudly "MVP MVP MVP MVP" It was great. They never said anything else the rest of the game.:smile:

skobabe8
06-26-2005, 11:27 PM
I was working in a mall today and had no access to the game whatsoever. At approximately 4 pm today (late in the game) I encountered a 40 something year old female with a shirt stating "I Love Cubs." I asked her what the score of the game is today. She replied "Oh, the Cubs don't play today." :D:

DumpJerry
06-26-2005, 11:28 PM
I was working in a mall today and had no access to the game whatsoever. At approximately 4 pm today (late in the game) I encountered a 40 something year old female with a shirt stating "I Love Cubs." I asked her what the score of the game is today. She replied "Oh, the Cubs don't play today." :D:
She was confused with the Sox hitting.

Brian26
06-26-2005, 11:53 PM
I had a group of 50-or-so-year-old Cub fans behind me all game who spent the whole time talking about their jobs, etc; anything but the game. And to my right was a Cub fan with his girlfriend who between the two of them were on the phone the whole time. They seemed to know nothing about the game, and would often find themselves clapping whenever there was clapping, be it for the Cubs or Sox. They just didn't have a clue what was happening on the field.

It's just unbelievable. How do these ****ers get tickets to games? Why even go if you're not going to watch?

Sox of White
06-27-2005, 12:03 AM

And I suppose Magglio is in Baltimore, while Sammy just retired?

mantis1212
06-27-2005, 12:30 AM

So, did they spell Jose's name wrong, or was that you?:tongue:

The Racehorse
06-27-2005, 07:43 AM

That Flubbie fan just went 0-4... there are bad O'fers & there are BAD O'fers... that one is PRETTY BAD. :D:

TomBradley72
06-27-2005, 08:40 AM
A few highlights from yesterday's game:

1. Driving the backroads to get to the park and avoid traffic....guy pulls up next to me and my buddy...."Only real Sox fans would know to take the back roads to the ballpark....the Cubbie fans are probably getting off at Addison. Don't worry guys...not too many Cub fans at the game today...they're all as the Parade" (ie. Gay Pride Parade)...hilarious.

2. While tailgating....Sox fan pulls out a white flag with a blue "W"...stole it from a Cub fan friend...was all set to use at the end of the game (unfortunately....).

3. 2nd-4th innings....Cubs fan constantly showing up late...in the wrong section...in the wrong row....came across as completely clueless.

4. The Cell looked AWESOME....any complaining about this park (once the green seats are in) is unwarranted...I've been to almost every new park in the majors...it's right up there with anyone. Seeing the refurbishing of Halsted...the neighborhood is definitely on the way back.

itsnotrequired
06-27-2005, 10:21 AM

:kneeslap:

Ol' No. 2
06-27-2005, 10:22 AM
My favorite thing that happened while at today's (Sunday) game, well, ok, the only thing that made me smile at all today took place in the 4th.

One on First, one out and D. Lee. was up. These noisy Flub fans who were behind me on the 200 level terrace (I was in 155) started chanting "MVP MVP MVP" over and over. Other Flub fans joined in. It was quite loud. When D. Lee gounded into a double play, all us Sox fans turned to the Flub fans on the terrace, pointed at them and chanted verrrrrry loudly "MVP MVP MVP MVP" It was great. They never said anything else the rest of the game.:smile:I'd have to agree with them. Lee has been the most valuable player. Without him they wouldn't be 9.5 games behind the Cardinals.:rolleyes:

Rocky Soprano
06-27-2005, 11:16 AM
On Saturday there was an elderly couple behind me, I thought for sure well this guy has to know a bit of baseball since he is old.

Well then he proceeded to tell his wife how the Cubs were not out of it at all. He said all we need to do is trade Patterson for Pujols. Then he proceeded to tell his wife why the Cardinals would want Patterson.

My friends and I had not laughed that hard in a very long time.

Jerko
06-27-2005, 11:23 AM

Don't laugh too hard at that one; there's a lot of people on here who wish Minnesota would have drafted Prior "so he wasn't on the Cubs".

miker
06-27-2005, 11:59 AM
On Saturday there was an elderly couple behind me, I thought for sure well this guy has to know a bit of baseball since he is old.

Well then he proceeded to tell his wife how the Cubs were not out of it at all. He said all we need to do is trade Patterson for Pujols. Then he proceeded to tell his wife why the Cardinals would want Patterson.

My friends and I had not laughed that hard in a very long time.

:rolling: All of these stories rock, but "Patterson for Pujols" has me laughing so hard I almost cried! I can't believe these people can actually function in society.

jackbrohamer
06-27-2005, 12:03 PM
I'd have to agree with them. Lee has been the most valuable player. Without him they wouldn't be 9.5 games behind the Cardinals.:rolleyes:

I've never heard any baseball crowd ever chant "MVP" for any player before September.

Jerko
06-27-2005, 12:05 PM
:rolling: All of these stories rock, but "Patterson for Pujols" has me laughing so hard I almost cried! I can't believe these people can actually function in society.

***????????? Even ignoring the Pujols thing, didn't these people ever hear of Jim Edmonds? Or was Patterson replacing Larry Walker? What a joke.

Stroker Ace
06-27-2005, 01:32 PM
I dont know about you guys... but I hate all the World Series talk. Yeah its great that people think it, I mean , when was the last time people were talking about it with the Sox??? Just play ball and lets see what unfolds. We have a great team here, something special can be happening here, but lets focus on winning the divison first. :D:I don't like the WS talk either. The first thing we should worry about is how many games ahead of the twinks we will finish. Then, winning the ALDS, ALCS, then the WS. Lets take it one step at a time.

Ol' No. 2
06-27-2005, 01:34 PM
I've never heard any baseball crowd ever chant "MVP" for any player before September.They were doing it on Saturday and again on Sunday. Probably Friday, too, but I didn't get to go on Friday. But these are Cubs fans, after all...

Hangar18
06-27-2005, 02:16 PM
Don't laugh too hard at that one; there's a lot of people on here who wish Minnesota would have drafted Prior "so he wasn't on the Cubs".

Not to mention the fact that a Messiah led Twink team in 2001 goes to the World Series and gets them that Stadium built, which wouldve been open
by next year ..........forcing the SOX to really get out and spend the $$$$$
to maintain a winning tradition

samram
06-27-2005, 02:22 PM
Not to mention the fact that a Messiah led Twink team in 2001 goes to the World Series and gets them that Stadium built, which wouldve been open

In 2001, the Twins didn't make the playoffs and Prior didn't pitch in the majors.

TheOldRoman
06-27-2005, 02:27 PM
There are SOO many things wrong with that statement, I dont even know where to start. 1. Prior didn't make his ML debut until 2002. 2. He wasn't a big leaguer for the full season until 2003. 3. The Twins didn't make the playoffs in 2001. 4.A world series title wouldn't have gotten them a new stadium. The Twins gained momentum for a new park with these winning years, but the people still dont want to use their tax dollars to build them a park. They are finally getting it done because they cut costs and are getting less money from the government. And most importantly...

5. The Twins, Cubs, Indians, Tigers, Royals or anyone else winning the world series wouldn't FORCE the Sox to do anything. I was under the impression that JR would get pissed seeing the Cubs go far in 03, and open the checkbooks. We got another season of Jose Valentin at shortstop, and no fifth starter. Meanwhile, JR told Sox fans to root for the Cubs. The Sox handed this town to the Cubs throughout the last 20 years, what makes you think they would suddenly get defensive and start spending more money (although they already spend A LOT more money than the Twins, and decent money compared to attendance) because the Twins won or got a new ballpark? Ownership watched the Indians reign in the late 90s, and that didnt motivate them to "spend the $$$$$$$ to maintain a winning tradition".

scottjanssens
06-27-2005, 02:28 PM
I've never heard any baseball crowd ever chant "MVP" for any player before September.

When they chanted that I chanted "Oc-To-Ber".

scottjanssens
06-27-2005, 02:30 PM
***????????? Even ignoring the Pujols thing, didn't these people ever hear of Jim Edmonds? Or was Patterson replacing Larry Walker? What a joke.

Some clown calling in on the radio thought the Cubs could trade Patterson for Ichiro.

Rocky Soprano
06-27-2005, 02:49 PM

Dude you are SO RIGHT LIKE ALWAYS!
I mean didn't Prior win the WS for the Cubs a couple of years ago? He totally ruled against the Marlins!

RKMeibalane
06-27-2005, 02:52 PM

Who knows? I just know that there wasn't anyone named Valentine on the Sox roster last season.

RKMeibalane
06-27-2005, 02:55 PM

Agreed. Besides, Albert Pujols is the closest thing to the "old" Frank Thomas that there is in baseball right now. If Walt Jockety is stupid enough to trade him, he should never work in baseball again.

RavenswoodFan
06-27-2005, 03:10 PM

LMAO!!!
Amazing things come out of these peoples mouths!:D:

whtsx1959
06-27-2005, 05:30 PM
Stupid Cub Fans: Case #27

Yesterday I witnessed a cub fan using her cell phone in an interesting way. (It is a flip phone) She got a call, closed her phone and kept talking in the speaker. To hear a response, she put the microphone to her ear. When I pointed this out to my friend, he took his cell phone, bit it and said "Hello."

robiwho
06-27-2005, 11:09 PM
Who knows? I just know that there wasn't anyone named Valentine on the Sox roster last season.

Crikey, people, cut a sister some slack. I had just spent three days outside in 90+ degree weather being hassled by morons. My deepest, sincere apologies for the extra "e" already.

Nellie_Fox
06-28-2005, 01:34 AM
...4.A world series title wouldn't have gotten them a new stadium. The Twins gained momentum for a new park with these winning years, but the people still dont want to use their tax dollars to build them a park. They are finally getting it done because they cut costs and are getting less money from the government. You're correct that a world championship would not have changed the minds of Minnesota taxpayers about a new ballpark for the Twins. What has finally seemed to have gotten it over the hump is not just that there is less government money involved, it's because the Hennepin County Board voted in a sales tax increase to fund the stadium. It wasn't put before the voters in a referendum (every previous referendum was soundly defeated) and it affects no one outside of Hennepin County (unless, of course, you buy a car there or something.) And it's still not a done deal. Hennepin County businesses are not happy, thinking that they'll lose business to Ramsey County (where St. Paul is) and are still pushing for a referendum.

Foulke You
06-28-2005, 02:51 AM
Here is a few things I learned from Cub fans Riding the Red Line to the park on Sunday. There was a young Cub fan couple who are sitting near me and the amount of stupidity coming from this guy's mouth was ridiculous. Here are a few pearls of wisdom as he was talking to his girlfriend trying to impress her with his "knowledge" (Keep in mind, this train car I'm in is about 70% Sox fans):

"Wait until you see this neighborhood honey, it is so ghetto. There isn't even any bars around it." I corrected him and told him about Jimbo's and Puffers and where they were located and he reluctantly acknowledges me and says rather matter of factly, "yeah, but it is a bad neighborhood where you wouldn't want to walk to". I told him Bridgeport is a nice neighborhood and has less crime than Wrigleyville. He looks confused and then offers up this retort: "yeah, but it can't be as good as Hi-Tops or Murphy's Bleachers". He then spent the next 5 minutes talking to his girlfriend about how much he loves Hi-Tops and how much money he spends there regularly. As we get closer to the park, he points to a building I know for a fact is being renovated and says to his girlfriend "See, look at those buildings there. The windows are all busted out. I told you it was ghetto!" My girlfriend was getting pissed at this point and she pointed out to them that it was being renovated and they had no retort for that.

The Cub fan's girlfriend told him that he probably should be quiet about ripping on the Sox or he will get in a fight. He then proceeds to brag about how many fights he has gotten into over the years and that he usually depends on his larger friend to bail him out. This guy was a class act, I can't imagine why anyone would want to kick his ass. He then spent the remainder of the trip badmouthing our park and his girlfriend was agreeing saying how much Wrigley Field is the greatest. They finally reached a discussion about baseball where the Cub fan said how great Prior and Wood were. His girlfriend agreed and said it was because "they throw the ball so good and pitch so many innings...lots of innings" :?: I thought my girlfriend was going to strangle the both of them at this point and I had to calm her down. I was so proud of her.:cool:

Now comes my favorite part of the story, the train mercifully arrives at Sox-35th and the 2 clueless Cub fans got out and the guy immediately says very loudly, "Well honey, here we are at...what are they calling this place now? SBC Park? Ameritech.com Field?" A large Sox fan leaned over to him and said very loudly "It's called FIRST PLACE FIELD.":D: Needless to say, the Cub fan loudmouth had nothing to say after that zinger, LOL.

sox_fan_forever
06-28-2005, 03:18 AM
I was in section 552 on Sunday and sadly there were tons of Flub fans in my section as well as the sections around me. The biggest problem I had was with them walking up and down the aisles throughout the whole game. They wouldn't wait until between innings to get up! It was ridiculous. One couple walked by about 4 or 5 times within just a couple of innings. I'm not sure why they even came to the game since they didn't want to watch it! Like someone else mentioned, why do these people buy tickets? The sad thing about this couple was that the girl was wearing Sox stuff, but the guy she was with was all decked out in Cub gear. Gross, I could never date a Cub fan.

MUsoxfan
06-28-2005, 03:25 AM
The biggest problem I had was with them walking up and down the aisles throughout the whole game.

This is not a problem isolated with Cubdom. I encounter this at every sporting event I ever go to. When the NHL existed, they used to stop people from going down until there was a whistle. Ushers should do the same at baseball games and leave traffic for between innings.

C-Dawg
06-28-2005, 05:21 AM
At the Sunday game there was a group in about Section 152 that kept holding up a banner that said "Ron Santo you're in OUR Hall Of Fame!". I kept pointing out to people it must be nice to be in an imaginary hall of fame.

Oh, and how could I forget my ride in on the CTA Blue Line! I got on at the Forest Park Desplaines Avenue station, and as I got in to the station there, I realized it was time to add more value to my transit card (I usually throw a 20 on it and its good for quite a few rides). Just my luck, both card-vending machines were occupied by Cub fans trying to buy cards. They were completely clueless as to how to put the money in, select the VEND button, take the card out, etc.... They were expecting to get change back from their $5 I guess. They had to take turns helping each other one step at a time, and finally everyone had their cards. Of course, by the time I'd thrown another $20 on my card the Cub fans were now causing another jamup at the turnstyles! A CTA worker had to show each one of them how to put their cards in since they were trying every way possible to put them in wrong.

I just don't get it. Their ballpark has no reasonable close parking, so it seems taking the CTA would be a natural for them. But evidently this was a new experience for all of them. I can only conclude this was their first game they've ever been to. No one else had any trouble there; the station and trains were packed with people going to the Taste of Chicago and the Pride Parade, and yet the only people I saw who couldn't figure out how to get on the train were wearing Cubbie blue.