PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Oh well this doesn't change anything Postgame Thread

Cowhead418
06-26-2005, 05:23 PM
This series meant nothing and we're still in great shape. Bring on the Tigers! BTW I despise off-days.

White Sox Josh
06-26-2005, 05:24 PM
have at it!

Thunderstruck30
06-26-2005, 05:25 PM
How the hell do you score 12 runs in 8 innings, then score 2 runs over the next 18 innings against THE SAME DAMN TEAM!!! ***!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

White Sox Josh
This sucks! I wish they would've swept. Now I'll hear how the Cubs won the World Series from their fans.

Georgey3085
Really bad batting today...good pitching...Cubs just got a lil lucky...too bad they aren't 50-24...we just can't bat that horrible again. AHHH:whiner:

Cowhead418
This is no different then losing a series to the Devil Rays. If the Sox go on another winning streak I'm sure we all won't care a lick about what happened the last two days.

lowestofthelow
Worse than losing will now be having to listen to the media rave about how Prior will lead the Cubs into the playoffs.

itsnotrequired
I don't know about you guys but I'm buying my Cub playoff tickets tomorrow.

Eh, what can you do? Interleague is over. Time to win the games that mean a lot more.

Twins win as well so this loss was double-tough. Still 9.5 bananas up so nothing to freak out about.

Rocklive99
06-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Gah, I don't care as much about the loss since these games are worth less than a game vs Cleveland or Detroit, but weird end of the game tactics by Ozzie. PH for Ozuna and Willie, who's going to play up the middle if you do tie it? I don't see why you pinch hit for Willie if you don't for Pods. Oh well, back to the AL

***, the WGN postgame, the Sox telecast, is all Flub interviews? Screw off Rich King

White Sox Josh
Really bad batting today...good pitching...Cubs just got a lil lucky...too bad they aren't 50-24...we just can't bat that horrible again. AHHH:whiner:I'm so glad prior got an extra 3 inches off the plate that garland didn't! Oh yeah and TRADE CREDE!

Pasqua's Posers
prior and garland were on today...score at worst shoul've been 1-0. first time we've been shut out all year. wasted opportunities in 7th, 8th, and 9th to plate some runs....:angry:

whitesoxfan
who cares who we lost the series to, it wasn't anyone in the division and we still have a 9.5 game lead in the division. This team will be fine, going to Detroit and we have Buerhle pitching on Tuesday and Garcia on Wednesday.

Fake Chet Lemon
This was the first BIG SERIES this year we were EXPECTED to win. That’s key, I was anxious to see how this team would perform when EXPECTED to win a BIG SERIES. The bats choked up the last two days, like they did in the 2000 playoffs. Go ahead and give me the Chicken Little sign, but this gives me some anxiety when thinking about the postseason this year. One last thing before you rip me, the bats failed miserably against “the great” Roberto Novoa, Ryan Dempster and Jerome Williams. That’s called tightening up under the pressure, and pressure in October will MUCH HIGHER. Tightening up after getting the leadoff hitters on in the 7th, 8th AND 9th today! I hate to say it, but I thought I was watching a TAPE of Frank today from the 2000 playoffs. The Baseball Tonight jags are all smiling right now……………..

Kogs35
06-26-2005, 05:27 PM
total barf fest, luckly they r going on a roadtrip and bring on those kitties from detroit

TaylorStSox
06-26-2005, 05:27 PM
Well, you gotta tip your hat to the Cubs. Prior pitched a hell of a game and they played good defense behind him.

Kogs35
06-26-2005, 05:28 PM
prior and garland were on today...score at worst shoul've been 1-0. first time we've been shut out all year. wasted opportunities in 7th, 8th, and 9th to plate some runs....:angry:

second time, first time was when garland lost 4-0 to the great erving santana

itsnotrequired

Actually, Sox were shut out 4-0 against the Angels earlier this year.

dranny32
It hurts losing a series at home especially when garland pitched great. But there are still 88 more games to win so lets get the offense back on track.

CYGarland20
06-26-2005, 05:29 PM
The Sox hitters had pitches to hit today, and didn't hit them. Bad time for the offense to take the day off against the Cruds! :angry:

twinsuck1
Now i will have to turn off my phone so all my dumbass scrub fans can't bother me about this win...........:angry: Thanks alot Sox..............

Hendu

Didn't Ervin Santana shut us out in Anaheim?

Fenway
All of you do yourselves a favor and FORGET that the Cubs exist until next June when you play them again. You have much bigger fish to fry in 2005.

The White Sox need to stay focused if they want home field advantage in the playoffs. That is FAR more important than any game against the Cubs in June.

itsnotrequired
Worse than losing will now be having to listen to the media rave about how Prior will lead the Cubs into the playoffs.

Exactly. These losses "hurt" more simply because of all the Cub nonsense we'll have to listen to for the rest of the year.

batmanZoSo
06-26-2005, 05:30 PM
This team just wasn't themselves today. A lot of pathetic at-bats and stupid swings. They just didn't come ready to play. They need a day off.

That's baseball. You play every day, you can't be on every day. Sometimes you look like @#$%.

It's been real, cubs. Now back to our glorious season.

A.T. Money
We looked a lot like the 2004 Sox. Big blowout win, then you can't hit anymore for a few days.

I thought we were done with all that.

oeo
Think about it this way:

This was not even nearly as bad as being swept like we were last year, on a walk-off walk.

We're 50-24, 9.5 game lead, calm down, we'll be fine.

mccombe_35
Not much to say besides telling you all how pissed off I am. Yesterdays game summary is - ARam slam & Hollandsworthless robbing Crede. Today just sucked. no excuses. 1 hit. 1 F-ing hit? And, for what seems like the gazillionth time the inning (& the game) ends with Frank on deck.....

losing 2 of 3 to a .500 team in the weak, weak NL? come on.

Jurr
Yeah...when you look at the pitching matchups throughout this series (all six games), you kinda expected a split.

We had Contreras (x2), McCarthy, Freddy (x2) and Garland vs. Prior (x2), Maddux (x2), Zambrano, and Mitre.

I'lll take a split in the series. Cub fans, aching for SOMETHING to hold on to this season, will be ecstatic that they got a split. Bums.

peeonwrigley
The Sox offense sucked miserably the last couple days. Lots of guys swinging for the fences.

Georgey3085
This was the first BIG SERIES this year we were EXPECTED to win. That’s key, I was anxious to see how this team would perform when EXPECTED to win a BIG SERIES. The bats choked up the last two days, like they did in the 2000 playoffs. Go ahead and give me the Chicken Little sign, but this gives me some anxiety when thinking about the postseason this year. One last thing before you rip me, the bats failed miserably against “the great” Roberto Novoa, Ryan Dempster and Jerome Williams. That’s called tightening up under the pressure, and pressure in October will MUCH HIGHER. Tightening up after getting the leadoff hitters on in the 7th, 8th AND 9th today! I hate to say it, but I thought I was watching a TAPE of Frank today from the 2000 playoffs. The Baseball Tonight jags are all smiling right now……………..

This was NOT a big series because its not a team in the AL...its not even a team in the AL Central...I think you are the type of fan who waits for the wheels to fall off...this was just the Cubs...let them have thier glory...they are now only a mile from the Cards and anything playoff worthy...we are still 50-24...I think ANY of us would take that if we woulda guessed before the season started, don't go off with any stupid comments.

DickAllen72
06-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Prior is awesome. First game back after a broken elbow with no rehab starts and he one hits us. Amazing.

I hate losing to the Cubs. This series didn't mean nothing, it meant something. You should be able to win series at home in front of three sellout crowds. And we have to learn how to win when the pressure is on and the crowds are big. No wonder we never draw as well as it appears we should.

Konerko's got to start playing like the highest paid position player on the team, especially in series like this.

Anyway, we're still in good shape but we have to turn it around against the Tigers.

Cellview22
Wow! I lost it in the 8th when AJ swung at a frickin 3-1 count when we needed baserunners. I almost broke my remote I was so mad. 1 hit against the Messiah... what a way to end the weekend.. and no game until Tues night. :angry:

As mad as I am right now, I have to remind myself we have 50 wins already. We have to keep it up though; bring on the Kitties!

Kogs35
All of you do yourselves a favor and FORGET that the Cubs exist until next June when you play them again. You have much bigger fish to fry in 2005.

The White Sox need to stay focused if they want home field advantage in the playoffs. That is FAR more important than any game against the Cubs in June.

exactly. bring on the kitties

TaylorStSox

Well said. Part of the problem with expectations with the Cubs series is that the team puts unwarranted pressure on themselves based on what the fans think should happen.

There are bigger fish to fry. Namely, the Marlins in October.

Jjav829
06-26-2005, 05:32 PM
What a horrible game. I don't even know where to begin. I have no problem with getting shut down by Prior. He's one of the best pitchers in baseball. What I have a problem with is getting shut down by Jerome freaking Williams and Ryan Dumpster. That 7th inning was awful, from Konerko not fielding the ground ball, to Pierzynski showing that he can't throw out a runner to save his life, giving the Scrubs a gift run. Then in the bottom half Willie puts together one of the few good at-bats of the game, leading off with a walk and the next two batters, Frank and Konerko, who are normally very patient, swing at the first pitch for the same result.

Garland got screwed. He doesn't deserve this loss. He made one bad pitch all game and that was throwing Patterson an 0-2 pitch that he could hit out of the park. What a brutal game. Possibly the worst of the year.

It's kind of odd that this series was almost like something we would have seen last year. 12 runs in the last game and then 2 runs in the next two games combined. I just wish tomorrow wasn't an off-day so we could move on to the next game quickly.

whitesoxfan

yep i agree, i only worry about the Cubs 6 times a year anyway. Why bother worrying about them when they don't matter to us at all? Their in an entirely different league, so i could care less if they win or lose. We'll put this series behind us and go to Detroit and win another series.

Thunderstruck30
In the words of Harry Doyle "All we have is one God damn hit?!"

ShoelessJoeS
Oh yeah and TRADE CREDE!
no need to start this BS again, he made some great plays at third today, what can we expect from our #8 or 9 hitter, not much

SpartanSoxFan
06-26-2005, 05:33 PM
This loss stings because its the hated flubbs, but let's keep it in perspective here. Jon pitched a solid game, giving up 1 unearned run and one earned run over 7.1 innings, lowering his ERA to 3.25 on the year. Yes, the offense sputtered against Prior who was just coming off the DL, but sometimes you have to tip your hat to the guy for a great performance. Be glad interleague play is done, and even though the Sox lost 2 of 3 on the weekend, so did the Twinks. They didn't gain any ground on us, and our lead remains 9.5 games up, which is the biggest margin in the majors as well as best record overall in the majors. DON'T JUMP OFF THE DEEP END HERE PEOPLE!!!! :tongue:

Jurr
Exactly. These losses "hurt" more simply because of all the Cub nonsense we'll have to listen to for the rest of the year.
Nonsense??? What could a Cub fan possibly tell you? "Oooohh....we split with you guys." Who cares?

The Cubs are hovering near .500.
The last time I checked, the Sox are 50-24.

That's all that needs to be said.

twinsuck1

You are exactly right! Don't just brush this series off like it was nothing, this was a playoff atmosphere at home and we did not come through! We have to beat their best pitchers as well as the 4 and 5 starters, I don't beleive we have shown that much yet this year.:angry:

EdHerman12
:pee CUBS

ON TO TIGERTOWN........GO SOX!

peeonwrigley
06-26-2005, 05:34 PM
In the words of Harry Doyle "All we have is one God damn hit?!"

My sentiments exactly.

samram
You are exactly right! Don't just brush this series off like it was nothing, this was a playoff atmosphere at home and we did not come through! We have to beat their best pitchers as well as the 4 and 5 starters, I don't beleive we have shown that much yet this year.:angry:

Dude, they're 26 over .500. They're doing fine.

Dan H
I thought I was a manic depressive. Face it, Prior is a huge talent. Only health keeps him from being the best pitcher in the majors.

It is always tough to lose to the Cubs, but the season series ended agt 3-3. They are dead even against each other over the last three years. This is how it will always be.

Simple fact is the Sox were 8-4 on this homestand and got beat by two tough pitchers during the last two games. Maddux isn't what he used to be, but if the Cubs wanted to unload him to the Sox for the pennant drive, I'd take that deal.

I am glad the Cubs series are over. Way too much hype, way too much emotion. The Sox lost two of three to the Diamondbacks and no one jumped out of windows.

These were very big wins for the Cubs. Tough losses for the Sox, but no reason to panic. We have a lot to look forward to. Let the Cub fans have their fun. We would if it happened to us.

A.T. Money
06-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Ruined my whole damn weekend.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-26-2005, 05:36 PM
This was NOT a big series because its not a team in the AL...its not even a team in the AL Central...I think you are the type of fan who waits for the wheels to fall off...this was just the Cubs...let them have thier glory...they are now only a mile from the Cards and anything playoff worthy...we are still 50-24...I think ANY of us would take that if we woulda guessed before the season started, don't go off with any stupid comments.

No, I'm just much older than you and I've been through this more and had my heart ripped out more than you, so I have more perspective. If you can't admit the bats choked up some the last two days, and this series is bigger than and different than playing the Seattle Mariners enjoy your Kool Aid.

Fenway
yep i agree, i only worry about the Cubs 6 times a year anyway. Why bother worrying about them when they don't matter to us at all? Their in an entirely different league, so i could care less if they win or lose. We'll put this series behind us and go to Detroit and win another series.

4 weeks from now Boston will be at The Cell. THOSE games will be far more important to your season than any with the Cubs. Chicago has 50 wins, Boston 44. ( and the Red Sox right now are on fire )

Jurr
Folks......we've found a FOHF. How pathetic they always are.

Frater Perdurabo
06-26-2005, 05:37 PM
This one's on the offense. I understand Prior was dominant today, and he owned the Sox hitters. He was just a tiny bit better than Garland. But he only pitched seven innings. Hitters have pounded on the Cubs pen all year. There is no excuse for the Sox hitters being unable to do so today and yesterday. None.

Yesterday, Contreras was the goat for his deplorable first inning. Today, the Sox lineup (other than Ozuna) was the problem. It's not a good sign when they tee off for 12 on Friday and then score just two more over the next two days.

It's too bad because Garland deserved to win. The Cubs' second run was entirely Konerko's fault, not Garland's. It's nice to see Jon continue to dominate (other than the mistake to Patterson).

Time to put this one behind them and then get their heads right to pound on Detroit and Oakland.

Georgey3085

We haven't shown that much this year...you are stupid if ur saying that...we are 50-24, thats not showing much, right???? Oh yea, it is...now sometimes, you should THINK before u speak...u do brush this series off because the twins, tigers, and indians are much more important then ANY NL team especially the FLUBS...so what we have to hear it for a couple days...we shouldn't care anyways...cuz we're up by 9,5 not them'

Mammoo
Perhaps Ozzie should have tried to manufacture some runs the last two days knowing he'd be facing two of the best pitchers around.

But hindsight is 20-20...can't compalin...Garland pitched well but I'm no Conteras fan...what about those Ted Lilly rumors?

Also...I like Pablo Ozuna...maybe this makes Uribe expendable in a trade.

The trip to Detroit will be telling. Let's take two of three there!:smile:

twinsuck1
Dude, they're 26 over .500. They're doing fine.

This team has yet to prove they can beat a top notch pitching staff! I am sorry but If we make the playoffs and we have to face the best pitchers of a team whos to say we can beat them?

mccombe_35

I feel the same way. Didn't get to see a minute of the big win on Friday. Got to sit through every pitch of the Sat & Sunday games...............

Kogs35
06-26-2005, 05:38 PM
4 weeks from now Boston will be at The Cell. THOSE games will be far more important to your season than any with the Cubs. Chicago has 50 wins, Boston 44. ( and the Red Sox right now are on fire )

and those game times may be moved for national tv especially the sunday game.

SABRSox
I don't beleive we have shown that much yet this year.:angry:

:kukoo:

mmmmmbeeer

how many teams have home playoff games where the crowd is 40% against them? there is no comparison to make between this series and a playoff series.

batmanZoSo
06-26-2005, 05:39 PM
Nonsense??? What could a Cub fan possibly tell you? "Oooohh....we split with you guys." Who cares?

To use a SERIES SPLIT (which was no doubt aided by us having our back end go against them both times) as some form of bragging device is beyond pathetic.

And yeah...they'll do it, too. :roflmao:

Jurr
Friends of Home Fish! *clap clap clap clap clap* Friends of Home Fish!

itsnotrequired

You KNOW tomorrow's papers are going to be full of articles talking about how the Cubs will start "turning it around" and now that Prior and Wood are back they will be "unstoppable". Annoying.

Agreed, Sox are still in command. Time to move on and wail upon the AL Central!

Georgey3085
06-26-2005, 05:40 PM
No, I'm just much older than you and I've been through this more and had my heart ripped out more than you, so I have more perspective. If you can't admit the bats choked up some the last two days, and this series is bigger than and different than playing the Seattle Mariners enjoy your Kool Aid.

I don't care how much older you are...I haven't seen a championship from a team from Chicago that I care about EVER (I'm not a Bulls fan). I remember 2000 and that horrible time, I remember 1993 and how Toronto just was amazing...you can keep thinking that the Cubs are a big series, but when we sweep teams like the Twins at home when we need it, thats big...so :tongue: to you

shoota
06-26-2005, 05:40 PM
This game meant more to me than any other game in the series. And of course, we lost. I wanted the former Cub, Jon Garland, to outpitch their new Ace. Of course, he didn't.

Prior is a great pitcher.

I knew Baker was lying about Prior not having a pitch count. Of course he would be on a pitch count. I think he left with ~71 pitches, and I had guessed he would be on a pitch count of ~75 pitches.

Today was one of those days where it'd be nice to have a smart hitter like Randa in the lineup.

Our defense was great today except for Paul Konerko's error which eventually lead to the Cubs second run.

Crede made an athletic catch on a D. Lee line drive; Ozuna had a nice defensive stop and throw to Harris for a force at second; Willie started a nice double play late in the game.

samram
06-26-2005, 05:41 PM
This team has yet to prove they can beat a top notch pitching staff! I am sorry but If we make the playoffs and we have to face the best pitchers of a team whos to say we can beat them?

They've beaten the Twins 4 out of 5 and the Tribe 6 out of 9.

SABRSox
how many teams have home playoff games where the crowd is 40% against them? there is no comparison to make between this series and a playoff series.

In terms of bragging rights, yeah, today's loss hurts. But this is still just an interleague game. We didn't lose to anyone in our division, and we didn't lose to any of the teams we may see in the playoffs. Over the course of the season, games like this are going to happen. It's a shame it happened against the Cubs, but it would have been worse if it happened against the Twins. Just forget about it and move on.

Need to focus on Detroit now...

Jjav829
Today was one of those days where it'd be nice to have a smart hitter like Randa in the lineup.

Yeah, that damn Crede lost us the game. :rolleyes:

Jurr
06-26-2005, 05:42 PM
I feel the same way. Didn't get to see a minute of the big win on Friday. Got to sit through every pitch of the Sat & Sunday games...............
Now, that kind of sucks. I feel for you. That Friday game was pretty sweet.

ShoelessJoeS
06-26-2005, 05:42 PM
sure is getting cloudy in here :redneck

Fake Chet Lemon
06-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Friends of Home Fish! *clap clap clap clap clap* Friends of Home Fish!

If there is a flaw in what I said, please have the intelligence to point it out. I see you did not, thought so.

DickAllen72
It is always tough to lose to the Cubs, but the season series ended agt 3-3. They are dead even against each other over the last three years. This is how it will always be.

Right. We're no better than the Cubs and never will be.

No wonder we never surpass the Cubs in Chicago media attention.

CYGarland20
The bottom line is that the cubs played like us the last few games, and we played like them. It looked like our hitters were trying to hit everything out of the park. This should be a wake up call for the Sox, and hopefully we can go on another win streak starting w/ the Tigers :cool:

shoota
Yeah, that damn Crede lost us the game. :rolleyes:

Yeah, his 0-3 didn't hurt the Sox at all. :rolleyes:

Jjav829
06-26-2005, 05:44 PM

And naturally his once again great defense cost us the game. :rolleyes:

twinsuck1
06-26-2005, 05:45 PM

Come on! Thats no freaking excuse........ Look I want the SOX to win, no doubt about it. However I am not convinced that this team Is ready to win it all. We have yet to play the big boys of the league and after seeing them perform like this In a pretty big series (say all you want this was a big series, tell the national media it wasn't) I don't feel too confident. I am glad they have a 50-24 record and are playing decent but I want it all! I am so sick of fans just being happy with a winning season have you turned flub on us? What top notch starters have we beat this year?? Come on people don't be so freaking blind!:angry:

Fake Chet Lemon
I don't care how much older you are...I haven't seen a championship from a team from Chicago that I care about EVER (I'm not a Bulls fan). I remember 2000 and that horrible time, I remember 1993 and how Toronto just was amazing...you can keep thinking that the Cubs are a big series, but when we sweep teams like the Twins at home when we need it, thats big...so :tongue: to you

But don't kid yourself on one thing. If we had rocked the Cubs three straight, everyone here who says this series isn't big, would be talking about what a big series this was. Let's at least be honest with ourselves on that. You may not like what I am saying, but I'm not just spouting off without thought.

shoota

Saving a base hit on defense does not make up for 0-3.

Jurr
06-26-2005, 05:46 PM

For real! Honestly, it would've made all the difference today. Joe Randa would've been able to handle Prior's curveball today, which was absolutely devastating. With a smart hitter like Randa on our roster every day, we'd be the best team in baseball!

SOXSINCE'70
Once again,the season's over.We suck!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:chickenlittle :selljerry :fireozzie :chunks :gascan

samram

Yep, only one without a hit.

Hendu

We've beat the Angels, Indians, Tigers and Twins so far this year. All top notch pitching staffs in the AL.

AJPosguchi
Now, that kind of sucks. I feel for you. That Friday game was pretty sweet.

I am right there too. Missed Friday's game and watched the Cubs stompus for two straight games. Terrible weekend.

We are now 5-7 on Sundays.

ShoelessJoeS
06-26-2005, 05:47 PM
j are you now an official member, FOJC?

Georgey3085
06-26-2005, 05:47 PM
But don't kid yourself on one thing. If we had rocked the Cubs three straight, everyone here who says this series isn't big, would be talking about what a big series this was. Let's at least be honest with ourselves on that. You may not like what I am saying, but I'm not just spouting off without thought.

Yea if we swept em it woulda been great, cuz we'd have 10 game winning streak, that would be pretty awesome, but eh...can't live in the past...get those tigers...but I totally see ur point.

Fenway
06-26-2005, 05:48 PM
and those game times may be moved for national tv especially the sunday game.

The Saturday game won't be moved because Fox has St Louis/Cubs

The Sunday game COULD be moved to 7 PM

SABRSox
I am right there too. Missed Friday's game and watched the Cubs stompus for two straight games. Terrible weekend.

We are now 5-7 on Sundays.

Hmm... there's got to be some correlation between the getaway day lineups and that record.

DickAllen72

Our defense was great today except for Paul Konerko's error which eventually lead to the Cubs second run.

Crede made an athletic catch on a D. Lee line drive; Ozuna had a nice defensive stop and throw to Harris for a force at second; Willie started a nice double play late in the game.

Yeah, Randa would have been nice, especially playing first base.

Fake Chet Lemon
What a performance by Jon Garland though. I saw this as a HUGE test for him and he performed like a champ. With a healthy Hernandez, I was wondering if he could knock BIG GAME pitchers like Hernandez, Garcia and Buehrle out of the 3 man playoff rotation. He went a LONG WAY towards convincing me today. He rose to the occasion thank goodness.

twinsuck1
06-26-2005, 05:49 PM
We've beat the Angels, Indians, Tigers and Twins so far this year. All top notch pitching staffs in the AL.

Did you just put down the TIGERS for a top notch pitching staff????

Jurr
Honestly, that hasn't been the attitude around here at all. As a matter of fact, a lot of the Sox fans I was talking to at the Cell during this past week's games could've cared less about the Cubs.

It's no longer about "needing to beat the Cubs to get respect from the media and Chicago, etc." With the record the Sox have, they've been getting their attention and respect.

After the 12-2 win, we were all happy that the Sox won another game, continuing their domination. It's beyond the Cubs this year. There is definitely a WHOLE LOT MORE for us to be thinking about than beating the Cubs.

Jjav829
Saving a base hit on defense does not make up for 0-3.

Yeah, forget about the 5-4-3 DP he started, the jumping catch on the line drive and the great play on Patterson's bunt. We lost this game solely because Joe Crede went 0-3. Forget about the fact that every other starter not named Ozuna went 0'fer including the combined 0-20 from Podsednik, Harris, Thomas, Konerko, Rowand, Dye, and Pierzynski, we lost because Joe Crede went 0-3! Damn that Joe Crede and his 0-3 against one of the best pitchers in the game. We'll never win another game if Joe Crede can't go at least 2-3 against one of the best pitchers in the game!

RadioheadRocks
Well somebody's going to get the short end of the stick in a good pitchers' duel, unfortunately for us it was Garland. What sucks more than anything is that our lifeless bats carried over when Williams came in and relieved Prior. I mean, how pathetic was it that the guy barely threw strikes and all we got was a couple of feeble popups from Frank and Paulie, AJ grounding into a DP on ball 4, and Crede looking hopeless striking out swinging without an actual strike being thrown to him! My hat's off to Prior for pitching a damn good game, but we can ill afford to have our bats lay down and die like this any more as the season progresses.

batmanZoSo
06-26-2005, 05:50 PM

And quite handily I might add.

Jesus christ, you don't go 50-24 without beating a few good pitchers.

twinsuck = :dtroll:

dranny32
What top notch starters have we beat this year?? Come on people don't be so freaking blind!:angry:

THey have beaten zambrano, colon, cliff lee, cc sabathia, and brad radke to name a few.

shoota
Yep, only one without a hit.

True, but the other Sox hitters don't need to be replaced. They are proven to be good. Crede is not. An upgrade could have helped today.

Jjav829
06-26-2005, 05:51 PM
j are you now an official member, FOJC?

Not that I believe in all these FO__ things, but I think I'm one of the few people on this site that has supported Joe Crede constantly.

mmmmmbeeer
06-26-2005, 05:51 PM
Come on! I am not convinced that this team Is ready to win it all. Come on people don't be so freaking blind!:angry:

so are you implying that you were convinced prior to this series? you let a series against the sCrUBs rattle your faith in this team?

or are you implying that you've never had faith in a team that is off to the best start in franchise history and one of the top starts in MLB history?

i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're just p.o.'d that we just lost another game to the sCrUBs and just typing with emotion instead of a logical thought process.

Hendu
06-26-2005, 05:52 PM

Yes. Check the team ERA. They are #5 in the AL. C'mon, it's called research.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/stats/2005/team_pitching/al_0_byEARNED_RUN_AVG.html

SABRSox

Tigers team ERA ranks 5th in AL and 6th in all of MLB. I'd say that qualifies...

Kogs35
The Saturday game won't be moved because Fox has St Louis/Cubs

The Sunday game COULD be moved to 7 PM

fox could move the seattle/cleveland game and use upn50 to put the whitesox or cubs on like fox11la does when the angels and dodgers r on fox the same week.

Jurr
06-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Yeah, forget about the 5-4-3 DP he started, the jumping catch on the line drive and the great play on Patterson's bunt. We lost this game solely because Joe Crede went 0-3. Forget about the fact that every other starter not named Ozuna went 0'fer including the combined 0-20 from Podsednik, Harris, Thomas, Konerko, Rowand, Dye, and Pierzynski, we lost because Joe Crede went 0-3! Damn that Joe Crede and his 0-3 against one of the best pitchers in the game. We'll never win another game if Joe Crede can't go at least 2-3 against one of the best pitchers in the game!
Anybody who says Crede had a direct correlation on the Sox losing against the Cubs today is a pompous ass who deserves no retort. Don't waste the energy it takes to type words about that subject.

SABRSox
06-26-2005, 05:54 PM
True, but the other Sox hitters don't need to be replaced. They are proven to be good. Crede is not. An upgrade could have helped today.

I'm not in the Crede fan camp, but you're giving us Crede doubters a bad name, man. There is absolutely no guarantee an upgrade would have helped us today. Come off it...

samram

Really? Ozuna is a proven hitter? Willie Harris is a proven hitter? Joe Randa would have done nothing to improve the chance of a victory today. Same can be said for almost everyday.

dranny32
Joe crede is one of the reason this team started out hot, he played great defense and had that 14 game hit streak while everyone else was struggling.

ShoelessJoeS
Not that I believe in all these FO__ things, but I think I'm one of the few people on this site that has supported Joe Crede constantly.
really? i remember that whole trade for chavez convo we had, where were you on that one :tongue:

Fake Chet Lemon
06-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Apparently jumping out to early leads is an even bigger key to our team than we gave credit for. We seemed to press as the games went on and we were behind. We reverted to the Jerry Manual let's hit a HR team. Hopefully a lesson was learned in June and we'll be the better for it.

Jurr
Sox fans, fear not. Check the schedule up to the All Star break. Things look pretty good.

3 @ DET
3 @ OAK
3 vs. TB
3 vs. OAK

I highly doubt we'll be talking about that tragic series split against the Cubs in a week or so.

Cowhead418
THey have beaten zambrano, colon, cliff lee, cc sabathia, and brad radke to name a few.
Don't forget Rich Harden (we may not have beaten him but we knocked him around and raised his ERA by a full 2 points) or Chacin from Toronto or Greg Maddux or Grienke or Trevor Hoffman or Barry Zito to name a few more.

ShoelessJoeS
helped, maybe....made a difference, no....prior was on and the sox were clueless, period.

TimoandAaron
06-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Sox fans, fear not. Check the schedule up to the All Star break. Things look pretty good.

3 @ DET
3 @ OAK
3 vs. TB
3 vs. OAK

I highly doubt we'll be talking about that tragic series split against the Cubs in a week or so. Things never look good if we are headed to Oakland

RedPinStripes
06-26-2005, 05:57 PM
I wish I had the insight that Pessi (CubKilla) has. He called this game over when Patterson hit that HR off of Garland (0-2 and knee high w/nobody on, why wouldn't you go HIGH!!!!!). I guess CK is the man. I bow to every call he makes. He called Ozuna the Player of the Game for the Sox offensively too today. He's a mack. PEACE!!!!!

This is my call-out

Jurr
06-26-2005, 05:58 PM
Yeah...we call it being intelligent.
Great defense and 20-25 homers/ .250 / 75 RBI from the 8 hole sounds pretty damn good.

Jjav829
really? i remember that whole trade for chavez convo we had, where were you on that one :tongue:

What? Chavez is a better player. I'm always looking for an upgrade at every position. I think extremely highly of Eric Chavez, and if he is available, I'd be all for trading for Chavez. That doesn't mean I dislike Crede or that I want to get rid of him at any cost. I'm in favor of upgrading any position possible and Chavez over Crede is a certain upgrade.

White Sox Josh
For real! Honestly, it would've made all the difference today. Joe Randa would've been able to handle Prior's curveball today, which was absolutely devastating. With a smart hitter like Randa on our roster every day, we'd be the best team in baseball!Yeah but Randa wouldn't have had that bad of an at bat that Crede had during his last at bat.

CYGarland20
What top notch starters have we beat this year?? Come on people don't be so freaking blind!:angry: There aren't many so called " Top notch starters in baseball" The only one's that come to mind in the AL would be Santana (we lost to), Halladay(who we haven't faced), Clement(haven't faced), Schilling(who is on the DL), Rogers(haven't faced), Colon(who we beat), and Harden(we lost to). If we do make the playoffs(which we should), we will most likely face Baltimore then Boston or Anaheim. I like our chances against Baltimore and Anaheim, but no so much against Boston, with Clement, Wells, Arroyo, and Schilling if he comes back healthy, not to mention their offense of course

Fake Chet Lemon

3 @ DET
3 @ OAK
3 vs. TB
3 vs. OAK

I highly doubt we'll be talking about that tragic series split against the Cubs in a week or so.

I want to see how this team continues to perform under some heavy pressure. Circle the Red Sox series, these other series won't mean much and the batters will be much looser at the dish. The nation will be keeping a close eye on the Red Sox series and our hitters will be aware of that.

Jurr
06-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Not meaning to state the obvious, but isn't it funny how quickly posts fill up a losing Gameday thread?? :rolleyes:

RedPinStripes
06-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Yeah but Randa wouldn't have had that bad of an at bat that Crede had during his last at bat.

Can you name a 3B with an 0-2 count more regularly than Joe Crede?????

Jurr
06-26-2005, 06:01 PM
Yeah but Randa wouldn't have had that bad of an at bat that Crede had during his last at bat.
I sincerely hope that this was meant for teal.

Cowhead418
There aren't many so called " Top notch starters in baseball" The only one's that come to mind in the AL would be Santana (we beat), Halladay(who we haven't faced), Clement(haven't faced), Schilling(who is on the DL), Rogers(haven't faced), Colon(who we beat), and Harden(we lost to). If we do make the playoffs(which we should), we will most likely face Baltimore then Boston or Anaheim. I like our chances against Baltimore and Anaheim, but no so much against Boston, with Clement, Wells, Arroyo, and Schilling if he comes back healthy, not to mention their offense of course
We didn't beat Santana and although we lost to Harden we raised his ERA at the time from 0.61 to > 2.50. I would say we beat him just not his team.

Oh and the Sox suck they can never win more than eight in a row. They lost a series too. This must mean the season is over. Who cares if the Twins gained ZERO ground.

ShoelessJoeS
read post #107 again please....and for the love of god change that awful sig

pudgefisk27
So, the series "meant nothing" yet how many replies really reflect that tone; like, 4? How about a little rationality here, people!

Prior pitched great and so did Garland. BOTH were as deserving of a win as the other, but today it went to Prior. On other days, it would have (and has) gone to Garland. Garland has a couple wins this year where he didn't pitch well and the Sox scored a ton of runs to pace him (ie: vs Arizona and Toronto)

Quit complaining about who was starting for either side, the Sox and Jon Garland have taken advantage of *many* opposing starters and shotty efforts this year.

I was at the game today and heard many comments like the following; I just loved this: "To use a SERIES SPLIT (which was no doubt aided by us having our back end go against them both times) as some form of bragging device is beyond pathetic"

Yeah, I'm sure it would have been silent around here as well had the Sox won today; just like it was when we won the series in May, right? Give me a break! :rolleyes: We all know that the number of "CUBS SUCK" comments would have been unmeasurable. Let's keep this somewhat in perspective.

They'll have (in the neighbourhood of) a 10-game lead in the division when the All Star game is played. The Cubs are in the past; there aren't any trophys for beating them in June; LET'S MOVE ON!

I'm personally more amped at the Tigers series coming up. It's just a *tad* more meaningful when you think rationally about it. :wink:

Aww hell, I need a break. Time for a few more ----> :gulp:

Fake Chet Lemon
06-26-2005, 06:03 PM
It sucks they got Prior in two of the six and we got Buehrle in NONE of the six. Them the breaks I guess.

CYGarland20
06-26-2005, 06:03 PM
We didn't beat Santana My bad, i fixed it :redface:

RedPinStripes
06-26-2005, 06:04 PM
I was at the game today and heard many comments like the following; I just loved this: "To use a SERIES SPLIT (which was no doubt aided by us having our back end go against them both times) as some form of bragging device is beyond pathetic"

Where'd you hear that from? Cub fans? Doesn't surprise me:dtroll:

samram
06-26-2005, 06:05 PM
It sucks they got Prior in two of the six and we got Buehrle in NONE of the six. Them the breaks I guess.

Yeah, Prior basically is around to pitch against the Sox this year. He'll be hurt again and comeback next May to pitch against the Sox.

JB98
06-26-2005, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=Frater Perdurabo]It's too bad because Garland deserved to win. The Cubs' second run was entirely Konerko's fault, not Garland's. It's nice to see Jon continue to dominate (other than the mistake to Patterson).[QUOTE]

Actually, that second run was AJ's fault too. His throw was much too high on the steal attempt. We should have had Burnitz out twice, at first base and and at second base.

Our poor defense in that inning changed the entire complexion of the game. We had the leadoff man on in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings. If it's a 1-0 game, we have the opportunity to bunt in at least two of those innings. Then, we get the tying run in scoring position and put more pressure on the Cubs relievers. Maybe they would have cracked.

Instead, we have no one to blame but ourselves. We've been good defensively all year. Not today.

shoota
06-26-2005, 06:06 PM

Okay, I forgot about the Patterson bunt attempt that he made. That was nice too. Strong arm. But come on, that 5-4-3 he started was a routine play that third basemen should make.

Those hitters you listed are proven good hitters. They are all better than Crede. Since Crede is the team's weakest link, he must be replaced before anyone else on the team. The team has the most to gain when it replaces its worst hitter.

These are the types of games we're going to play in the playoffs. The excuse, "Well, Crede wasn't the only hitter who sucked today" isn't a valid defense. If Crede only hits when the other hitters hit, what good is he? We don't need his extra offense if the team is already scoring runs without him. We need a hitter who can give tough at bats and has a better chance of helping the offense, because in the playoffs/close games, that's how you win.

Take Friday's game for example. He added a 3-run home run when the game was already a laugher. His home run came with the score at like 8-2. We don't need offense then. This is what I'm talking about when I say to the guys who defend him with his end-of-the-year stats. IT'S MORE IMPORTANT WHEN YOU HIT IT.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-26-2005, 06:07 PM
Great defense and 20-25 homers/ .250 / 75 RBI from the 8 hole sounds pretty damn good.

I'm slightly pro-Crede because of the economics of it all. We need a $400,000 starter so that we can spend the money on pitching. He earns his salary, bottom line. But pointing out he is the number 8 hitter doesn't help the argument for Crede! Number 8 hitters are #8's because they generally suck as hitters. They would generally be #9's, but they get #8 because they have no speed either.

DMarte708
06-26-2005, 06:07 PM
These were some of the worst AB's I've seen all year from our hitters.

When Harris drew a lead off walk and Konerko and Thomas weakly popped up you knew their one objective was hitting HR's. They failed, and looked miserable doing it.

I'm not giving Prior full credit for his outting today. His fastball was a straight 92-93 consistently, and a rolling curveball which hung half of the time it was thrown. Bob Brenly and Len Kasper even noted how flat his breaking ball appeared. Yet, oddly enough, everyone looked surprised when he threw it. Prior this afternoon was a 2 pitch pitcher with a good fastball and lazy breaking ball no one adjusted to.

Can anyone explain how he pitched better today with worse stuff than in Wrigley Field?

I don't believe this game is a revelation of how poorly our offense is. What it does show is how our team is capable of slumping once swinging for the fences is a top priority. Ozzieball was nonexistent these last two games. For example, why didn't Harris, Ozuna, or Pods lay down bunts today when it was obvious the team was in need of a spark?

TaylorStSox
06-26-2005, 06:08 PM
Crede was the only person I saw hit a ball hard today.

You can't "manufacture" runs if you can't get guys on base. You can't draw walks against Prior because he's always in the zone.

I agree that there was some bad situational hitting today. Thomas and PK had bad AB's when Harris walked in the 7th or 8th. Instead of trying to move the runner along or take a couple pitches to give Harris a chance to steal, they swung at first pitches.

RedPinStripes
06-26-2005, 06:09 PM
These were some of the worst AB's I've seen all year from our hitters.

When Harris drew a lead off walk and Konerko and Thomas weakly popped up you knew their one objective was hitting HR's. They failed, and looked miserable doing it.

On the first F'N pitch after they took 2 meatballs to begin their first 2 AB's.....

CHISOXFAN13
06-26-2005, 06:09 PM

We can't have an off day or two? *****. Here we go again. Another two game losjng streak and half the people on this site have their finger on the panic button.

YAWN

shoota
06-26-2005, 06:10 PM
I'm not in the Crede fan camp, but you're giving us Crede doubters a bad name, man. There is absolutely no guarantee an upgrade would have helped us today. Come off it...

Correct, which is why I said a replacement "could" have helped today, not "guaranteed" one would have been the difference in the game.

I'm looking at today's game as a typical Crede game against playoff-type pitching in close games. Not saying he was the sole reason the Sox lost today. But it is typical Crede in this type of game, and IS reason enough to replace him.

CYGarland20
06-26-2005, 06:10 PM
It sucks they got Prior in two of the six and we got Buehrle in NONE of the six. Them the breaks I guess. Yeah the 3 games they won were against McCarthy, Contrerass, and the 3rd a light's out game aginst Garland by Prior. They only beat 1 of our good pitchers, while we beat MAddux, Zambrano, and Mitre, who prior to coming in was on a pretty good roll. No big deal, it would have been worse if Garland was lit up, but i sure would have expected a much better performance by the offense. IMO, Prior wasn't that great, our offense was just plain pathetic today, i mean we couldn't get anything going against their bp either. :angry:

batmanZoSo
06-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Where'd you hear that from? Cub fans? Doesn't surprise me:dtroll:

No, I said that. Cub fans will be the perpetrators of that nonsense.

Basically admitting that we're far superior. Yes! 3-3, we still trail the all-time series. :rolleyes:

chisox
06-26-2005, 06:11 PM
i lost a bet. now i have to go to the cubs/cards series in august, sit in the bleachers, and wear at least two articles of visible cubs clothing. ugh.

SOXSINCE'70
06-26-2005, 06:12 PM

Save Buehrle for Tuesday night in Detroit.That won't be an easy series.
He'll probably pitch Sunday in Oakland as well.I never like playing the A's.
The former Oakland Alameda County Colliseum has been a place where
Sox win streaks (and Divisional title hopes) go to die over the last 4 years.:(:

Cowhead418

Basically admitting that we're far superior. Yes! 3-3, we still trail the all-time series. :rolleyes:
You're right on. If Flub fans act superior because they split the season series than you can just call them on the fact they are admitting we are a vastly superior team! It's brilliant!

RedPinStripes

No.... we lead by 2 games playa.....

batmanZoSo
06-26-2005, 06:13 PM
No.... we lead by 2 games playa.....

Italics indicate cub talk...

Jurr
06-26-2005, 06:14 PM
I'm slightly pro-Crede because of the economics of it all. We need a $400,000 starter so that we can spend the money on pitching. He earns his salary, bottom line. But pointing out he is the number 8 hitter doesn't help the argument for Crede! Number 8 hitters are #8's because they generally suck as hitters. They would generally be #9's, but they get #8 because they have no speed either.
Unless you have the Yankees' payroll, you do have lower than average hitters late in your lineup. To have a guy that low in the lineup providing that kind of power with gold glove potential is absolutely fine in the Sox lineup.

JB98
06-26-2005, 06:15 PM
Crede was the only person I saw hit a ball hard today.

You can't "manufacture" runs if you can't get guys on base. You can't draw walks against Prior because he's always in the zone.

I agree that there was some bad situational hitting today. Thomas and PK had bad AB's when Harris walked in the 7th or 8th. Instead of trying to move the runner along or take a couple pitches to give Harris a chance to steal, they swung at first pitches.

And we couldn't manufacture a run because of the idiotic defensive plays by PK and AJ in the top of the seventh. We gave away the Cubs second run. If it had stayed 1-0, we could have bunted after getting the leadoff man on in the eighth and ninth innings. Because of defensive blunders, we were down 2-0. We swung for the fences, and the end result was a couple of GIDPs. Poor defense is one of the reasons we lost this game.

Jurr
06-26-2005, 06:15 PM
Save Buehrle for Tuesday night in Detroit.That won't be an easy series.
He'll probably pitch Sunday in Oakland as well.I never like playing the A's.
The former Oakland Alameda County Colliseum has been a place where
Sox win streaks (and Divisional title hopes) go to die over the last 4 years.:(:
Yeah..I think that 23-5 division record is a HELLUVA lot more important than our interleague record (which was pretty damn good!)

batmanZoSo
06-26-2005, 06:17 PM
Unless you have the Yankees' payroll, you do have lower than average hitters late in your lineup. To have a guy that low in the lineup providing that kind of power with gold glove potential is absolutely fine in the Sox lineup.

Crede's a terrible hitter, great glove, overall doesn't hurt us because we have Frank back and the rest of the lineup is improved from the beginning of the year. And he'll get a big hit every now and then. I'd like an upgrade, but it's not vital. Give me another ace starter instead.

Dan H
06-26-2005, 06:17 PM
I hate when the Sox lose to the Cubs. Hate it more than anything. But if the Sox want real bragging rights, go to the World Series and win it. Do that and no one will care who won today. Time to move on. I am glad this over-hyped nonsense is over until next year.

batmanZoSo
06-26-2005, 06:18 PM
I hate when the Sox lose to the Cubs. Hate it more than anything. But if the Sox want real bragging rights, go to the World Series and win it. Do that and no one will care who won today. Time to move on. I am glad this over-hyped nonsense is over until next year.

Just wanted to expound on this point...

CYGarland20
06-26-2005, 06:19 PM
I hate when the Sox lose to the Cubs. Hate it more than anything. But if the Sox want real bragging rights, go to the World Series and win it. Do that and no one will care who won today. Time to move on. I am glad this over-hyped nonsense is over until next year. Agreed, but i would be more upset if it was the twins though,and I think just getting to the WS would be great, unless we got swept of course :o:

fquaye149
06-26-2005, 06:22 PM
Okay, I forgot about the Patterson bunt attempt that he made. That was nice too. Strong arm. But come on, that 5-4-3 he started was a routine play that third basemen should make.

Those hitters you listed are proven good hitters. They are all better than Crede. Since Crede is the team's weakest link, he must be replaced before anyone else on the team. The team has the most to gain when it replaces its worst hitter.

These are the types of games we're going to play in the playoffs. The excuse, "Well, Crede wasn't the only hitter who sucked today" isn't a valid defense. If Crede only hits when the other hitters hit, what good is he? We don't need his extra offense if the team is already scoring runs without him. We need a hitter who can give tough at bats and has a better chance of helping the offense, because in the playoffs/close games, that's how you win.

Take Friday's game for example. He added a 3-run home run when the game was already a laugher. His home run came with the score at like 8-2. We don't need offense then. This is what I'm talking about when I say to the guys who defend him with his end-of-the-year stats. IT'S MORE IMPORTANT WHEN YOU HIT IT.

it is mind-numbingly stupefying to read your posts. What really gets me is the fact that you're one of the FOGIDPK.

You bash Crede as worthless because he's hitting 10 points lower than pauleeeee with 8 less homeruns.

You blame the game on Crede for going the exact same o-fer as pauleee, and Crede actually PREVENTED runs with his glove, whereas Pauleeeeee contributed to one of the scrubbies' runs.

Meanwhile Crede plays a position where defense is valued and replacement is infinitely harder to find than Pauleeeeeee.

What exactly....what exactly is plinking around in your head, rattling and ricocheting off all the rational thoughts that should be forming?

Fake Chet Lemon
06-26-2005, 06:23 PM
We can't have an off day or two? *****. Here we go again. Another two game losjng streak and half the people on this site have their finger on the panic button.

YAWN

It's how we lost, the batters choked up under pressure. Like the 2000 playoffs, that was the point.

ShoelessJoeS
06-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Agreed, i would be more upset if it was the twins though, but i think just getting to the WS would be great, unless we got swept of course :o:
unless? havent been there since '59, that would be an amazing, season long dream, winning would jsut be a bonus i think

Jurr
06-26-2005, 06:24 PM
it is mind-numbingly stupefying to read your posts. What really gets me is the fact that you're one of the FOGIDPK.

You bash Crede as worthless because he's hitting 10 points lower than pauleeeee with 8 less homeruns.

You blame the game on Crede for going the exact same o-fer as pauleee, and Crede actually PREVENTED runs with his glove, whereas Pauleeeeee contributed to one of the scrubbies' runs.

Meanwhile Crede plays a position where defense is valued and replacement is infinitely harder to find than Pauleeeeeee.

What exactly....what exactly is plinking around in your head, rattling and ricocheting off all the rational thoughts that should be forming?:o:

sox7235
06-26-2005, 06:25 PM
This series meant nothing and we're still in great shape. Bring on the Tigers! BTW I despise off-days.

Amen, well said. This team always bounces back. 8-4 homestand is more than enough.

CYGarland20
06-26-2005, 06:26 PM
unless? havent been there since '59, that would be an amazing, season long dream, winning would jsut be a bonus i think Yes it would be amazing if we made it there, but i think if we got swept or lost game 7 in the 9th that would be pretty hard to take.

cheeses_h_rice
06-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Just got back from the Cell, after watching the weakest offensive attack the Sox have mounted this year. I do credit Prior for consistently throwing strikes and not getting into trouble by putting men on base.

Garland pitched a whale of a ballgame, too. Hate to see an effort like that go to waste.

Frustrating to watch the offense get opportunities in the late innings and then GIDP or pop up (shades of the 2000 ALDS). This game was winnable even in the 9th, but our bats just didn't come alive.

Oh well, let's forget this and move on. Still 9.5 ahead of the Twins and still with the best record in the majors, with the Tigers looming on the horizon. Things could be worse. We could be 2 games above .500 fighting for a wild card spot with 10 other teams.

ShoelessJoeS
06-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Yes it would be amazing if we made it there, but i think if we got swept or lost game 7 in the 9th that would be pretty hard to take.
without a doubt it would be heartbreaking, but i just think getting there is what matters first

Fake Chet Lemon
06-26-2005, 06:29 PM
I'm sorry, but anyone thinking this really was just another game and another series must have never played a sport or competed at anything in their lives.

Some games DO matter more than others. This was gut-check time, and we managed one damn hit. Garland gave them a hell of an effort on the mound. And yeah, Prior is a fine, fine pitcher. But one damn hit? Absolutely inexcusable. :angry:

Frankly, I thought the Oriole series was a bit of a gut-check time as well, and we only managed a measley split.

These guys have not proven to me that they can win tight ballgames and big series. I know this team will probably make the playoffs. But I am not interested in another offensive sleepwalk through the playoffs like 83, 93, and 2000. I am not interested in being the next Seattle Mariners or 06 Cubs who win a bazillion games in the regular season and then turn into a girls' softball team when the chips are down.

A coach of mine back in high school said that there is a difference between winning games and being a winner. I have always thought that was a profound insight into competition. And these Sox, however adept at the former, are not yet the latter.

AMEN. People who like to just point at our regular season record as if that alone will give us a championship just aren't getting it.

CYGarland20
06-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Oh well, let's forget this and move on. Still 9.5 ahead of the Twins and still with the best record in the majors, with the Tigers looming on the horizon. Things could be worse. We could be 2 games above .500 fighting for a wild card spot with 10 other teams. Btw, the Tigers are losing 11-0 w/ Bonderman on the bump, looks like they will be limping back to Detroit as well :cool:

Jurr
06-26-2005, 06:30 PM
Just got back from the Cell, after watching the weakest offensive attack the Sox have mounted this year. I do credit Prior for consistently throwing strikes and not getting into trouble by putting men on base.

Garland pitched a whale of a ballgame, too. Hate to see an effort like that go to waste.

Frustrating to watch the offense get opportunities in the late innings and then GIDP or pop up (shades of the 2000 ALDS). This game was winnable even in the 9th, but our bats just didn't come alive.

Oh well, let's forget this and move on. Still 9.5 ahead of the Twins and still with the best record in the majors, with the Tigers looming on the horizon. Things could be worse. We could be 2 games above .500 fighting for a wild card spot with 10 other teams.
Maddux and Prior can both deal. It happens.

It is frustrating to see them get shut down in the late innings both days, but that also happens from time to time. After the heroics of the Dodgers series, we were due to see it.

I totally agree about moving on. We've got a good lead. Everything's cool.

dranny32
06-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Like hawk says, you are gonna win 60 and you're gonna lose 60... This was just one of the 60 losses.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Maddux and Prior can both deal. It happens.

And Roberto Novoa, Ryan Dempster, and Jerome Williams will join them in the Hall of Fame.

GoGoSox05
06-26-2005, 06:33 PM
Can we give our Sox a break for one series? With the Sox winning so much this season, we've gotten spoiled with their success. As soon as they drop a couple of games, we freak out. Don't get me wrong, I want the Sox to win as much as anyone, especially against the Cubs. But give 'em a break! they're going to lose a few more games. we're 50-24 and there's a whole lot of season left to play.

Greg1983
I think you need gut-check time.

These games mean no more than Tampa Bay. Same with Baltimore. Which we split. And just like that series, we were coming off another EIGHT GAME WINNING STREAK and were due to lose a few.

The biggest games of the year, bar none, were against the Twins. And we won 4 out of 5. You and your high school coach stick that in your pipe and smoke it with whatever else you got in there...

Are you suggesting that we could get swept out of the first round of the playoffs again, mustering only 2 runs over 2 days, and you'd be content that we won the first 4 out of 5 against the Twins back in freaking April? I think you're the one smoking something, my friend.

Having said that, I totally agree with you that you have to expect to drop a couple after an 8 game winning streak. That's the baseball gods for you.

I'm sorry...I bear no ill will toward you. I'm just mad, I guess. But I stand by my post. I'm waiting to see if this team is something more than a gaudy record, and I haven't seen it yet.

Cowhead418
AMEN. People who like to just point at our regular season record as if that alone will give us a championship just aren't getting it.
Oh please. Are you going to tell me that we can't afford to have games like these at the moment against a team that isn't even in our own league? Are you going to tell me that the Red Sox of '04 or the Marlins of '03 or the Angels of '02 never had games like this one during the regular season? You can't expect to win every game and you can't expect the Sox to not have off days every once in a while. I suggest you go take a long nap and forget about this game.

swanson24
Hello guys it was a tough loss but the season is a long way from over and so far the ride has been great. ... Well moving on to the topic of Detroit who would this thread consider the player on the Tigers to watch right now? Yes this is a serious question.

CYGarland20
06-26-2005, 06:34 PM
I think you need gut-check time.

These games mean no more than Tampa Bay. Same with Baltimore i wouldn't say they mean no more than Tampa bay, Baltimore yes. The expectations to win these games are about as high as the playoffs, and maybe even more in some fans mind's. Yesterday's effort was not that bad, besides Contreras, but today was just plain awful offensively. This game remined me somewhat of the games against the Mariners in the 2000 playoffs.

Cowhead418
06-26-2005, 06:34 PM
Like hawk says, you are gonna win 60 and you're gonna lose 60... This was just one of the 60 losses.
Who says we are gonna lose 60? :cool:

Fake Chet Lemon
06-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Oh please. Are you going to tell me that we can't afford to have games like these at the moment against a team that isn't even in our own league? Are you going to tell me that the Red Sox of '04 or the Marlins of '03 or the Angels of '02 never had games like this one during the regular season? You can't expect to win every game and you can't expect the Sox to not have off days every once in a while. I suggest you go take a long nap and forget about this game.

Probably excellent advice, I do have a pounding headache. Good points.

Hendu
06-26-2005, 06:41 PM

Fine, but what good is it going to do freaking out over one series against a .500 team in June? As much fun as it is to win bragging rights, this series does not predict how we will perform in the playoffs.

We won both series against the flubs in 03 and they're the team that was 5 outs away from going to the world series. So relax.

Cellview22
06-26-2005, 06:41 PM
It just sucks because going into this series, I expected a sweep, especially after the first game. I thought this was the year we would sweep the Cubs at the Cell, the atmosphere would've been ELECTRIC.. the Cubs had lost 2 in a row to the Brewers and we had won 8 in a row. So to lose the final 2 games of the series is a huge disappointment to me. And there's nothing worse hearing Cub fans at work the next day. Drives me nuts! I know it doesn't mean much in the whole scheme of things, but for me it'll take a while to get over it. After we dominate the Kitties on Tuesday, I'll be over it. :D:

Cowhead418
06-26-2005, 06:43 PM
If you can't understand why this series had some of the importance and magnitude of a playoff series, then I just don't understand what you were watching. This wasn't some routine 3 game set against the Detroit Kitties. This wasn't an interleague set against some team from the desert that didn't even exist 15 years ago.

This was our crosstown rival. This was about pride. This was about making statements about who the real baseball team in Chicago is. This was about playing well before the sellout crowds and national media. And we didn't do it. We did not play well when the spotlight was firmly on us. And I think every man in the White Sox dugout needs to think about that.
I agree about the atmosphere of the series but my point was that losing this series does not mean our season is over like losing a series in the playoffs will.

Whitesox029
06-26-2005, 06:44 PM
This is no different then losing a series to the Devil Rays. If the Sox go on another winning streak I'm sure we all won't care a lick about what happened the last two days.
I know I won't--I'm just worried (and I shouldn't be) that this might hurt the team a little. Though every time I've thought that so far in '05 it hasn't happened, so hopefully we can get right back on track.

Greg1983
06-26-2005, 06:47 PM
I agree about the atmosphere of the series but my point was that losing this series does not mean our season is over like losing a series in the playoffs will.

Point taken. I'm going to go have a drink or four and watch a movie or something.

G'night, Cowhead and everyone else. Onward and upward, I guess...

:gulp:

Reminds me of 83
06-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Damn!!!! This was not the way I envisioned this series. I felt so good after Fridays game and so bad today.

My wife is complaining because the Sox affect my mood too much.

I need help!!!!

Lets Go Sox!!!!

Cowhead418
06-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Point taken. I'm going to go have a drink or four and watch a movie or something.

G'night, Cowhead and everyone else. Onward and upward, I guess...

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Good night to you to Greg and don't let those Flub fans get to ya!

CYGarland20
06-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Damn!!!! This was not the way I envisioned this series. I felt so good after Fridays game and so bad today.

My wife is complaining because the Sox affect my mood too much.

I need help!!!!

Lets Go Sox!!!! It could be worse, just imagine if WE lost 12-2 Friday :o: The Twins did lose 2 out of 3 to the Brewers, so not a BIG deal. :cool:

Cowhead418
06-26-2005, 06:52 PM
I know I won't--I'm just worried (and I shouldn't be) that this might hurt the team a little. Though every time I've thought that so far in '05 it hasn't happened, so hopefully we can get right back on track.
Well put it this way: The Twinkies gained ZERO ground that series.:cool:

Irishsox1
06-26-2005, 06:55 PM
Prior pitched great for a guy with a fractured elbow and Contreas is showing that he is the true 5th starter. Other than that, move on and win the next series.

Iguana775
06-26-2005, 06:59 PM
How the hell do you score 12 runs in 8 innings, then score 2 runs over the next 18 innings against THE SAME DAMN TEAM!!! ***!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Good pitching beats hitting any time.

shoota
06-26-2005, 07:00 PM

What exactly....what exactly is plinking around in your head, rattling and ricocheting off all the rational thoughts that should be forming?

I am not a FOGIDP. I liked him in 2004. I didn't like him in 2003. Basically, if a player is good, I'll like him; if he sucks, I don't like him.

FarWestChicago
06-26-2005, 07:06 PM
No, I'm just much older than you and I've been through this more and had my heart ripped out more than you, so I have more perspective. If you can't admit the bats choked up some the last two days, and this series is bigger than and different than playing the Seattle Mariners enjoy your Kool Aid.Whoa, do NOT claim you have perspective. You are acting like a psychotic moron. ferrchrissakes. You are truly embarrassing yourself. :rolleyes:

whtsx1959
06-26-2005, 07:06 PM
I was humiliated today, this series does mean something because it could've gotten those cubs fans to finally shut up. Just sitting there in the stands was humiliating these past to days.

shoota
06-26-2005, 07:07 PM

Saying a hitter is good in comparison to other No. 8 hitters isn't a vote of confidence for Crede.

I value every spot in the lineup like I value every starter in the pitching rotation. As a Sox fan, you saw how the 5 spot in the rotation hurt the Sox the past few years. This year it's been filled by a man who is better than a #5 pitcher, and the Sox have greatly improved because of it.

I apply the same reasoning to the lineup because the Sox would improve by filling the bottom of the lineup with players who are good hitters.

FarWestChicago
06-26-2005, 07:09 PM
But don't kid yourself on one thing. If we had rocked the Cubs three straight, everyone here who says this series isn't big, would be talking about what a big series this was. Let's at least be honest with ourselves on that. You may not like what I am saying, but I'm not just spouting off without thought.Nobody with half a brain would have been talking about what a big series it was. You are projecting your complete silliness on others.

Hendu
06-26-2005, 07:09 PM
I was humiliated today, this series does mean something because it could've gotten those cubs fans to finally shut up. Just sitting there in the stands was humiliating these past to days.

Again...in 2003, we won both crosstown series. We stayed home from the playoffs; they almost went to the World Series.

The crosstown series means nothing and a week from now nobody will be talking about it until next year.

NSSoxFan
06-26-2005, 07:11 PM

You should never be embarrased at OUR stadium when we have the BEST record in baseball, NEVER.

This was the first BIG SERIES this year we were EXPECTED to win. That’s key, I was anxious to see how this team would perform when EXPECTED to win a BIG SERIES. The bats choked up the last two days, like they did in the 2000 playoffs. Go ahead and give me the Chicken Little sign, but this gives me some anxiety when thinking about the postseason this year. One last thing before you rip me, the bats failed miserably against “the great” Roberto Novoa, Ryan Dempster and Jerome Williams. That’s called tightening up under the pressure, and pressure in October will MUCH HIGHER. Tightening up after getting the leadoff hitters on in the 7th, 8th AND 9th today! I hate to say it, but I thought I was watching a TAPE of Frank today from the 2000 playoffs. The Baseball Tonight jags are all smiling right now……………..[/QUOTE]

Just be quiet.

[QUOTE=twinsuck1]Now i will have to turn off my phone so all my dumbass scrub fans can't bother me about this win........... Thanks alot Sox..............

I'm sure the first thing on Aaron Rowand's mind right now is 'Damn, I let this idiot down and now his friends are gonna give him a hard time.'

As opposed to? You really think the Cub nonsense was going to stop even if we won today?

It sucks to be you. I'd have to tell you to get some perspective on things.

Chisox003
06-26-2005, 07:12 PM
Again...in 2003, we won both crosstown series. We stayed home; they almost went to the World Series.

The crosstown series means nothing and a week from now nobody will be talking about it until next year.

Ya but 2 months from now the Sox will be in the playoffs and the Cubs fans will respond with "Well we beat you 2 of 3 at your field! Sox Suck!"

Not that I care, Im just saying that it sucks that we couldnt beat em 1 more time to take the season series...

Oh well, we're still 26 games over .500 and 9 1/2 up...And the Twins lost 2 of 3 to the Brew Crew so they gained nothing in this rare Sox series loss

Im not worried

S05X

Edit: I just went back and looked at the first 2 pages of posts...Much different than the last 2...Maybe a little overreacting on this board a few minutes after the loss? :rolleyes:

spiffie
06-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Apparently everyone loved Turn Back The Clock Weekend so much last week that they did it again this weekend, only going back to 2004. Come out and see us put up 12 runs in one game, and 2 runs combined the other two games!

The worst thing about this is that it will give the media another reason to ignore Garland and MB because well, "Prior took on their 12 game winner and showed him who the best pitcher in Chicago is."

Seriously, since proper Sox fan logic is interleague games don't really matter, couldn't we have saved our sweep for this weekend and given the Dodgers 2 out of 3?

shoota
06-26-2005, 07:15 PM
Well, you gotta tip your hat to the Cubs. Prior pitched a hell of a game and they played good defense behind him.

I have no problem with you putting my quote in your sig without my permission, but I insist that you quote it verbatim. Twice in the quote you have home run written as "homerun," which is not how I posted it. You also did not put the word "also" in between the first and second words of my second sentence, which is how my post appears.

TaylorStSox
06-26-2005, 07:18 PM
I have no problem with you putting a quote in your sig without my permission, but I insist that you quote it verbatim. Twice in the quote you have home run written as "homerun," which is not how I posted it. You also did not put the word "also" in between the first and second words of my second sentence, which is how my post appears.

Yeah I know. You pm'd me about it. Do I really need your permission to quote you? lol. I'll just keep it in there for a little while longer so I can continue to laugh at the absurdity of it.

ATXBMX
06-26-2005, 07:31 PM

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050626/capt.cxs10906262309.cubs_white_sox_cxs109.jpg

Burnitz might be hurting right now.

shoota
06-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Yeah I know. You pm'd me about it. Do I really need your permission to quote you? lol. I'll just keep it in there for a little while longer so I can continue to laugh at the absurdity of it.

If you possessed reading comprehension, you would know that no, you do not need my permission to quote me in your sig. I said, "I have no problem with you putting my quote in your sig without my permission..."

But I guess I'm not surprised that you got another one of my posts wrong.

Foulke You
06-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Again...in 2003, we won both crosstown series. We stayed home from the playoffs; they almost went to the World Series.

You took the words out of my mouth. Frankly I'm surprised at how bent out of shape some are getting about this series. We split the season series with the Cubs. Big whoop. NOBODY WON...NOBODY HAS AN EDGE OR BRAGGING RIGHTS. For the first time in a long time, losing to the Cubs doesn't matter to me right now. It would have been nice but c'mon people. BEST RECORD IN BASEBALL! 26 games Over .500! Anybody remember when the Manuel teams of '01 and '02 were struggling just to stay above the .500 mark? The World Series is the ultimate prize, not taking 2 of 3 from a .500 team in the NL Central.

Keep it in perspective, people. Here is Foulke You's recipe for calming down: Have an ice cold MGD:gulp: , when an annoying Cub fan calls you, take the high road and offer congratulations to the "2005 Co-City Champion Chicago Cubs" and then click on the link below and observe where we are in the standings and then check where the Cubs are in the standings. I guarantee you, it will make you feel much better. When we are playing the Red Sox, Angels, or Orioles in the playoffs...NOBODY and I mean NOBODY will even mention this weekend. I promise.

Foulke You's magic link towards positive thinking for Sox fans:
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/standings/index.jsp

whtsx1959
06-26-2005, 08:07 PM
At the end of the eigth inning, on the scoreboard in left, it said "Although the Sox didn't hit a home run in this game, you can still ..(something saying to go to ESPN Zone)."

I was aggravated b/c the game wasn't over and we were only down by two

Andy T Clown
06-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Best record in baseball. Best ballpark in Chicago.

Screw the mediots.:gulp:

MRKARNO
06-26-2005, 08:25 PM
My thoughts:

-Garland was great today. You cannot fault him one bit for the loss. He has responded to all of his critics who said that his ERA was going to go up like a balloon by pitching two great games in his last two outings.

-The offense was awful today against Prior. We let him do his normal post-rehab thing (6 IP 0 ER). You can't get too upset because he was dealing for the most part (that at bat against Thomas where he K'ed him was very good on Prior's part)

-The most inexcusable part of today? Leadoff batter on in the 7th, 8th AND 9th innings and we hit into DPs in the 8th and the 9th innings and can't do anything against a Cubs relief staff that is not very good. Truly pathetic.

-It's not a good thing to see the offense look like the pre-2005 version of itself over the past few games. The consistant scoring is what has gotten us to where we are and it's important to try to return to the days of scoring 4-6 runs a game instead of 12, 2 and then 0.

-This series is not much to fret about. Any series in which we lose 2 of three has proven to be the exception, rather than the rule, which makes it upsetting. In the grand scheme of things, this series was probably less painful than even the AZ series because our pitchers fared very well except for a 9 pitch sequence by Contreras in game 2.

-The schedule lightens up significantly between now and the break. It's important to capitalize on that (the Sox have been able to do that so far this year). The Red Sox series after the break, however, will be huge.

Here's to a more consistant offense in the coming days! (Because it was our pathetic offense in July that booted us from the playoff race last year)

mdep524
06-26-2005, 08:29 PM
What a horrible game. I don't even know where to begin. I have no problem with getting shut down by Prior. He's one of the best pitchers in baseball. What I have a problem with is getting shut down by Jerome freaking Williams and Ryan Dumpster. That 7th inning was awful, from Konerko not fielding the ground ball, to Pierzynski showing that he can't throw out a runner to save his life, giving the Scrubs a gift run. Then in the bottom half Willie puts together one of the few good at-bats of the game, leading off with a walk and the next two batters, Frank and Konerko, who are normally very patient, swing at the first pitch for the same result.

Garland got screwed. He doesn't deserve this loss. He made one bad pitch all game at that was throwing Patterson an 0-2 pitch that he could hit out of the park. What a brutal game. Possibly the worst of the year.

It's kind of odd that this series was almost like something we would have seen last year. 12 runs in the last game and then 2 runs in the next two games combined. I just wish tomorrow wasn't an off-day so we could move on to the next game quickly. Right on, JJav. This was a 2003-04 Sox series. Very frustrating. What was up with Frank, Paulie and Carl swinging at the first pitch in the 8th and 9th? That was awful.

Really shows you how far this team has come, that this issue hasn't seriously come up til June 26. :smile: They'll be back in full force in Detroit.

DickAllen72
06-26-2005, 08:30 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050626/capt.cxs10906262309.cubs_white_sox_cxs109.jpg

Burnitz might be hurting right now.

I luvvv Willie Harris! :D:

Foulke You
06-26-2005, 08:32 PM
They'll be back in full force in Detroit.
Yep, definitely...and the Cubs will probably drop 2 out of 3 to the Brewers next week and Flub fans will be calling for Dusty's head again and all will be right with the world.:cool:

StillMissOzzie
06-26-2005, 08:37 PM
I too got to watch the slaughter on Friday on TV, while being there to see the two losses. Maybe it's me that is the jinx. Moving right along,

I'm waiting to see which of our oh so clever sports sections uses "One Hit Wonders" in their headline.
BFD, the ScRubs won two out of three on Sox turf. The Sox won two out of three on theirs! ScRub fans have such "convenient" lapses of memory.
Garland pitched a damn good game today, except for that stinking gopher ball to Patterson on an 0-2 count. I was just ready to harpoon a ScRub fan about his K's at leadoff, too. :angry:
I was also disappointed about the inning when Willie drew a walk, only to get Frank & Konerko to chase their first pitches. Patience, patience. And while I wasn't too surprised that Prior was on his game, they couldn't touch the rest of the bullpen either.
And, most importantly, the Sox screwed up my 9-3 homestand prediction, since we all know that 8-4 at home just stinks out loud.

Let's game the train back on the track for the games that really matter now.

SMO

jeff_mamola
06-26-2005, 08:51 PM
2 hours ago I was really pissed off that we only had 1 hit today against the bums from the north side - went to my local pub - now I'm a bit more relaxed. OK so we split the series against the Flubs - so what...bring on the rest of the season!!! Come October - we'll see where the Flubs will be - we know where we'll be - and it ain't on vacation....:angry:

fquaye149
06-26-2005, 09:48 PM
I am not a FOGIDP. I liked him in 2004. I didn't like him in 2003. Basically, if a player is good, I'll like him; if he sucks, I don't like him.

you defended him this year incessantly. He's not all that good this year, yet you defend him. That adds up to a FOGIDPK

starboy0
06-26-2005, 10:19 PM
I am glad the Cubs series are over. Way too much hype, way too much emotion. The Sox lost two of three to the Diamondbacks and no one jumped out of windows.

I agree. I think 6 games is too many with the Cubs. Leave it at 3.

jdm2662
06-26-2005, 10:27 PM
Eh, whatever. I would've liked to take the series, but Prior was down right awesome today. Time to focus on the much more important series, the Tigers, a division team.
________
IPAD GAMES (http://macgame.org)

BeviBall!
06-26-2005, 10:27 PM
Getting one-hit at home against the flubs is inexcusable. Although, the pitching and defense were all-star caliber. We just got mowed down by a stud pitcher.

BeviBall!
06-26-2005, 10:29 PM
Now i will have to turn off my phone so all my dumbass scrub fans can't bother me about this win...........:angry: Thanks alot Sox..............

Because, that is what it's all about. Dude, they'd have to win 25 in a row to catch this team. That's hysterical!

Lip Man 1
06-26-2005, 10:35 PM
I'm not going to lie to you, very few folks want to beat the Cubs more then I do because of who they are and what their fans represent however everyone needs to put things in perspective.

While it is nice to beat the Cubs and the Sox have done it often, beating the Cubs doesn't put you into the playoffs....beating the Twins, Indians and Tigers do that.

The Sox are 50-24, they have a 9 1/2 game divisional lead....that's what matters. Now it's time for the team to refocus on Detroit and keep a safe lead in the division.

As other have said let the Cubs talk, the only chance they have for the post season is as a Wild Card...they are not going to catch the Cardinals.

Lip

whtsx1959
06-26-2005, 10:39 PM
I agree. I think 6 games is too many with the Cubs. Leave it at 3.

I'm getting bored with this series, not what it used to be, I wouldn't mind if we didn't play them at all, but three would be good.

skobabe8
06-26-2005, 10:52 PM
This sucks! I wish they would've swept. Now I'll hear how the Cubs won the World Series from their fans.

Thats fine with me. This WAS their World Series. Wew have bigger fish to fry.

Brian26
06-26-2005, 10:57 PM

Very, very good post. I wanted us to win this series too, but let's admit that we're all caught up in the stress of the weekend. I'm actually looking forward to Tuesday night and Detroit...it should be a relaxing game to watch. A week from now, this crap is all meaningless. And in October, we should be playing post-season baseball. Hopefully the northside crybabies are sitting at home watching.

Brian26
06-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Thats fine with me. This WAS their World Series. Wew have bigger fish to fry.

And they really didn't win anything. They only split the season series.

skobabe8
06-26-2005, 10:59 PM
Very, very good post. I wanted us to win this series too, but let's admit that we're all caught up in the stress of the weekend. I'm actually looking forward to Tuesday night and Detroit...it should be a relaxing game to watch. A week from now, this crap is all meaningless. And in October, we should be playing post-season baseball. Hopefully the northside crybabies are sitting at home watching.

:rolling:

You know as well as I do that wont be true.

SOX ADDICT '73
06-26-2005, 11:01 PM
I didn't think I could feel worse after these last two losses...

...and then I read some of the posts in this thread. A few of you guys really need to get a grip! Let's keep this season in perspective:

-There's still no other team within 3 games of 50, more wins at home, a better road record, or a better divisional record and lead.

-This was a split of the season series, unlike last year. The worst that Cub fans can argue is that the teams are equal (a ridiculous claim, which ought to be fairly easy for even the most casual Sox fan to dispute).

-Consider what you'd have said if someone had given you this choice: The Sox can either automatically go 8-4 over the next 12 games; or, they can play the games and accept whatever the results. Me, I take the automatic .667 winning percentage without hesitation.

-Finally, for those of you who still need help with belligerent Cub fans at work, say something to the effect of, "Yeah, good for you guys. I'm happy for you, really. Given the kind of season your team is having, they were due for a little good fortune. I was actually beginning to feel sorry for them." Be sure to keep your tongue planted firmly in cheek, and they won't even recognize the sarcasm! :thumbsup:

ChiSoxGirl
06-26-2005, 11:22 PM
Not much to say besides telling you all how pissed off I am. Yesterdays game summary is - ARam slam & Hollandsworthless robbing Crede. Today just sucked. no excuses. 1 hit. 1 F-ing hit? And, for what seems like the gazillionth time the inning (& the game) ends with Frank on deck.....

losing 2 of 3 to a .500 team in the weak, weak NL? come on.

I couldn't agree more! I've been pissed off since about 4:30p and my mood *still* hasn't changed, nearly 6 hours later!

I was at the game today and it was just a bad experience, which I haven't had too many of.

The bad:

The girl who I went with (who's not a small person) is spilling over into my seat on the 90° summer day. We left a seat between us for as long as we could. A family of 4 comes down during the National Anthem to sit next to us and the dad is seriously like the biggest guy I've ever seen. Where does he sit? Yep, right next to me! I sat crouched down and smashed for 2 hours in the heat. Wonderful.
4 Scrub fan bitches in their mid-20s sat in front of us and when they weren't reapplying their lip gloss and adjusting their skirts, they were on their cell phone waving to friends in the UD. How delightful.
In the top of the 6th, one of them said to the other, "Ohhh... maybe Derrek Lee can hit a walkoff homerun here!" Dumbass... you can't hit a walkoff homerun in the 6th inning, nor can you do such a thing as the visiting team!
Instead of "A-rom-iss," one of those chicks called him "Air-a-miss." Isn't that a men's cologne?! I'm not even a fan of that team and I know how to pronounce the players' names!
Going into the bottom of the 9th, the "Go Go White Sox" montage and song were played and one said to the other, "That's so cheesy!" That's right, because Ronnie frickin' Woo-Woo and "The Cubs Are On Their Way" (or whatever the hell the name of that song is) isn't cheesy?! Give me a break!
Some Scrub fan yelled at me when I was on my feet to "sit my female ass down" for the 1-2 count Garland had on one of the Scrub players, when looking for the K.
We were one hit by the damn Scrubs who suck! I commented to the girl I went with that yesterday's & today's games reminded me of one circa 2003/2004.
Garland deserved so much better than the L he took for 7 1/3 IP of two-run ball, after walking just one.
My flip flop broke after wearing them just once! :(:
The good/fun:

Commiserated with a fellow Sox fan in a black Thomas jersey on the ramps going down about how we have a better team than the Cubs could ever dream about and the only reason they got so excited over this 2-of-3 series is because this is all they have to live for. Agreed completely!
We started chanting "Who's in first?" after the Scrub fans started the "Cubbies rule" chant. "Who's in first?" was much louder and deafening than the Scrub chant.
Got to spend a summer day outside and watching baseball!
BTW- LOL at "Hollandsworthless!" :D:

SpringfldFan
06-26-2005, 11:41 PM
It is no fun to be on the losing end, believe me. But you know what bothers me most? Every time the Sox go down like this, we fans start bickering with eachother. Come on, folks - we're Sox fans! Its us alone against the baseball world, you know that! Emotions run high but keep together!

SFF

dcb33
06-27-2005, 02:20 AM
I'm getting bored with this series, not what it used to be, I wouldn't mind if we didn't play them at all, but three would be good.

Interleague play needs to die. Series like these prove why it's so worthless- people are all getting bent out of shape over losing to a mediocre NL team when our energy should ideally be focused on how this team stacks up against the Anaheims and Bostons of the baseball world. I hate how Sox fans catch Bears fan syndrome, and by that I mean being obsessed with defeating one particular opponent (for the Sox it's the Cubs and the Bears it's the Packers), and treating those games as if they are the end all be all for the team. Although today's game is relevant in the standings, it's worthless when it comes to determining how this team stacks up with the other elite teams in the American League, and if interleague didn't exist, we would get more opportunities to see how the Sox look against teams in our own league that are more important than the Cubs. **** city pride for all I care, the road to the World Series runs through the American Leauge, not the team on the North Side.

CubKilla
06-27-2005, 02:31 AM
Yeah...when you look at the pitching matchups throughout this series (all six games), you kinda expected a split.

We had Contreras (x2), McCarthy, Freddy (x2) and Garland vs. Prior (x2), Maddux (x2), Zambrano, and Mitre.

I'lll take a split in the series. Cub fans, aching for SOMETHING to hold on to this season, will be ecstatic that they got a split. Bums.

****. If you can't win 4 of 6, and you're 26 over .500..... against a team that's 2 over .500..... you got problems, namely, not being able to beat a total ****-ass team.

CubKilla
06-27-2005, 02:36 AM
Garland got screwed. He doesn't deserve this loss. He made one bad pitch all game and that was throwing Patterson an 0-2 pitch that he could hit out of the park. What a brutal game. Possibly the worst of the year.

Possibly? Easiest..... worst loss of the year. You hit it too Jjav..... Frank and Paulie swinging at the first pitch..... has either of them swung at the FIRST PITCH ALL YEAR before today in the 8th????? Sad.....

shoota
06-27-2005, 02:50 AM
you defended him this year incessantly. He's not all that good this year, yet you defend him. That adds up to a FOGIDPK

I've praised Paulie after good games, but I'm not a FOGIDP. In fact, I've posted that I think Konerko is overpaid and think his salary could be better used.

Even if I were a FOGIDP, Paul Konerko is a much better baseball player than Joe Crede, so I'd be justified in being a fan of his and not of Crede.

CubKilla
06-27-2005, 02:56 AM
I've posted that I think Konerko is overpaid and think his salary could be better used.

Even if I were a FOGIDP, Paul Konerko is a much better baseball player than Joe Crede, so I'd be justified in being a fan of his and not of Crede.

Konerko>Crede but Konerko is overpaid..... but so is about 95% of baseball.

Blueprint1
06-27-2005, 03:35 AM
I hate this series more and more every year. Guys its just a series loss not that huge of a deal get over it.

CubKilla
06-27-2005, 03:47 AM
I hate this series more and more every year.

Me too..... but a legit playoff contender should be able to win..... atleast..... 4 of 6 to this sad ass line-up.

As is, ALCS, no further. Book it, save it, whatever you do to these threads so I can call it back up come October.....

Blueprint1
06-27-2005, 04:09 AM
Me too..... but a legit playoff contender should be able to win..... atleast..... 4 of 6 to this sad ass line-up.

As is, ALCS, no further. Book it, save it, whatever you do to these threads so I can call it back up come October.....

Dude you need to chill. you sure do talk about the cubs alot:dtroll:

ilsox7
06-27-2005, 04:21 AM
Well, I promised myself I would stay away from WSI for a day or two, but I just had to check it out. Kind of like a bad car accident.

I read all of a page or two of posts on this thread. Nice to see the normal characters who think they understand the game of baseball out in force on this Sunday. You're not Sox fans. Plain and simple.

It is one thing to have intelligent baseball discussion, such as should we try to uprgrade at 3rd base. It's another thing to constantly point out every little thing every day of the week and twice on Sundays. We understand, you don't like Crede. You told us yesterday. And the day before. And twice the day before that. There is nothing new being added.

Funny, at 50-24, some people act as if we were 0-74. Seriously, you do. And don't try to pass off your bitching and moaning as passion. It's not. It's the stupidity of bitching and moaning. Sox fans haven't had a start to a season like this in a long, long time. Go take a look at the standings. It's quite therapeutic. We're 9.5 games ahead of the 2nd place team in our division. If you had told me that in March, I would have kissed your feet. Yet, that's not good enough. Why can't we be 15 games up?

All in all, I really do feel bad for some of you. In October, one of two things will happen: the Sox go to the playoffs and I can sit back and say I enjoyed the ride while you continue to look for reasons as to why the season could have been even better. Or the Sox miss the playoffs and I can say it was a glorious missed opportunity, but it was glorious. And all you'll be doing is smiling b/c "you told me so."

That's why you're not Sox fans.

The Racehorse
06-27-2005, 07:29 AM
Because the title of this thread doesn't say, I can't help but ask... who did we play & what happened?

dcb33
06-27-2005, 09:11 AM
****. If you can't win 4 of 6, and you're 26 over .500..... against a team that's 2 over .500..... you got problems, namely, not being able to beat a total ****-ass team.

The Sox lost a series to Tampa Bay, too.

I hope the Sox aren't planning on printing playoff tickets, because they sure aren't going to need them.

fquaye149
06-27-2005, 09:30 AM
I've praised Paulie after good games, but I'm not a FOGIDP. In fact, I've posted that I think Konerko is overpaid and think his salary could be better used.

oh he is?

Well then Joe Crede is a much better player than Joe Randa.

Look, we're both just saying people are much better players than another player and expecting people to assume we are correct.

Cowhead418
06-27-2005, 10:14 AM
The Sox lost a series to Tampa Bay, too.

I hope the Sox aren't planning on printing playoff tickets, because they sure aren't going to need them.
Exactly. The Sox have a worse record against the Devil Rays this year then they have against the scrubs but I don't see anyone here freaking out about that. And the Devil Rays are a much worse team then the scrubs.

gobears1987
06-27-2005, 10:25 AM
NOTE: I mean this tag in a teal sense:
:chickenlittle
Why is everyone panicking? We'll sweep the kittens and begin a new streak/

wdelaney72
06-27-2005, 11:50 AM
They need a day off.

While I agree, this series isn't more important than any other non-divisional foe, they just had a day off on Thursday.

No excuse for coming out and swinging the bats this poorly.

The good news is the last time they lost 2 straight at home to an inferior NL team, they went on an 8 game winning streak. :D:

gobears1987
06-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Did anyone half want Hawk to pull a Harry Doyle?

:hawk
"One hit, that's all we got, one G-d damned hit"

:DJ
"You can't say that on the air"

:hawk
"Shut up, no one likes you DJ"

fquaye149
06-27-2005, 12:52 PM
No excuse for coming out and swinging the bats this poorly.

How about the excuse: Maddux is a hall of famer and Prior could have been a future Hall of Famer if Dusty hadn't whipped him like a 2 cent jockey.

StillMissOzzie
06-28-2005, 01:33 AM
I'm waiting to see which of our oh so clever sports sections uses "One Hit Wonders" in their headline.

SMO

I don't usually like to quote myself, but did you all see the Sun-Times today?

Sometimes these guys are just too damn easy!

SMO

PBRWarrior
06-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Saying a hitter is good in comparison to other No. 8 hitters isn't a vote of confidence for Crede.

I value every spot in the lineup like I value every starter in the pitching rotation. As a Sox fan, you saw how the 5 spot in the rotation hurt the Sox the past few years. This year it's been filled by a man who is better than a #5 pitcher, and the Sox have greatly improved because of it.

I apply the same reasoning to the lineup because the Sox would improve by filling the bottom of the lineup with players who are good hitters.

This is logical but at what dollar amount. The better hitter you are the more salary you are going to command. Crede earns his money with solid defense and compaired to other #8 hitters he stacks up. I also think every spot in the lineup is valuable but there is still a reason that the best hitters in baseball are usually 2-5 in the lineup.

shoota
06-28-2005, 07:14 PM
This is logical but at what dollar amount. The better hitter you are the more salary you are going to command. Crede earns his money with solid defense and compaired to other #8 hitters he stacks up. I also think every spot in the lineup is valuable but there is still a reason that the best hitters in baseball are usually 2-5 in the lineup.

True, I also understand your point. The sentence I bolded is a fact I didn't think of. Crede does have more value than other No. 8 hitters with similar offensive statistics because Crede's defense brings additional value to his team.

One alternative replacement that would definately be affordable is Joe Randa. Randa is making $1.75 million more than Crede on an expiring contract, so the Sox wouldn't be saddled with an expensive, long-term contract if they were to trade for him.

There is no doubting he would be an offensive upgrade*, and I don't think the team would lose much on the defensive side. The amount of runs Crede saves with his glove will not be greater than the amount of runs Randa contributes to with his bat.

With the current record, I think the Sox will win the division no matter who is manning third base. I'm in favor of Randa for the playoffs.

*Randa: .293 12 41
Crede: .239 10 31

Jurr
06-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Have any of you seen Randa vs. Crede's stats?

Randa has a .293 BA, which is good. He's got 12 homers, 41 RBI, and has scored 36 runs.

Crede has a lower average (.239), but his homer and RBI production (10/31) isn't far off Randa, who's having a career year.

Crede's glove more than makes up for Randa's production, and he's got a lot more upside than Randa. Period.

shoota
06-28-2005, 10:45 PM
Have any of you seen Randa vs. Crede's stats?

Randa has a .293 BA, which is good. He's got 12 homers, 41 RBI, and has scored 36 runs.

Crede has a lower average (.239), but his homer and RBI production (10/31) isn't far off Randa, who's having a career year.

Crede's glove more than makes up for Randa's production, and he's got a lot more upside than Randa. Period.

But in a year when the Sox have a solid chance to win their first World Series since 1917, don't you want players who are having career years?

Jurr
06-28-2005, 10:48 PM
But in a year when the Sox have a solid chance to win their first World Series since 1917, don't you want players who are having career years?
If the difference was a whole lot bigger between the two players, then yes. Even though Randa's having a career year, he's still not THAT far ahead of Crede's production.

shoota
06-28-2005, 10:57 PM
If the difference was a whole lot bigger between the two players, then yes. Even though Randa's having a career year, he's still not THAT far ahead of Crede's production.

The numbers speak for themselves. You believe the statistical difference is minimal when defense is included; I disagree.

I do want to say that I am not a huge stat guy. I've mostly formed my opinion on him through what I've seen. Crede's at bats do not instill confidence in me. I think he would crawl up into the fetal position and suck on his thumb come playoff time.

And to update his stats, he's now hitting .235 after tonight's 0-4 performance highlighted by leaving 3 men on base. Funny coincidence how Crede again goes 0-fer against a good pitcher.

ilsox7
06-28-2005, 10:59 PM
The numbers speak for themselves. You believe the statistical difference is minimal when defense is included; I disagree.

I do want to say that I am not a huge stat guy. I've mostly formed my opinion on him through what I've seen. Crede's at bats do not instill confidence in me. I think he would crawl up into the fetal position and suck on his thumb come playoff time.

And to update his stats, he's now hitting .235 after tonight's 0-4 performance highlighted by leaving 3 men on base. Funny coincidence how Crede goes 0-fer again against a good pitcher.

My one comment on all of this. I actually think KW might replace Crede.. Not sure if I'd like that. However, I think it'd be the irony of all ironies if Crede drives in the winning run in Game 7 of the Series.

shoota
06-28-2005, 11:00 PM
However, I think it'd be the irony of all ironies if Crede drives in the winning run in Game 7 of the Series.

Ozzie didn't have anyone left on the bench? :D:

TimoandAaron
06-29-2005, 02:00 PM
My one comment on all of this. I actually think KW might replace Crede.. Not sure if I'd like that. However, I think it'd be the irony of all ironies if Crede drives in the winning run in Game 7 of the Series.Crede is a clutch hitter. I would rather have a clutch hitter instead f a guy who has a 290 BA. But that is just me.

shoota
06-29-2005, 11:01 PM
Crede is a clutch hitter.

:rolling:

The spin stops here

http://www.billoreilly.com/images/general/bill.jpg