PDA

View Full Version : NY Daily News praises KW

Fenway
06-26-2005, 04:12 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/322553p-275768c.html

BEST DEAL (in terms of both teams getting what they needed): The White Sox, looking to make their offense more speed-oriented, sent Carlos Lee to the Brewers for Scott Podsednik in an even-up exchange of left fielders. Podsednik has put the Go-Go back in the Sox, leading the AL in stolen bases, while Lee (20 HR, NL-leading 67 RBI, heading into last night) has given GM Doug Melvin's Brew Crew a formidable cleanup hitter. As of now, White Sox GM Ken Williams is the overwhelming pick for Executive of the Year with this deal, combined with his signings of closer Dustin Hermanson (1.53 ERA, 17-for-18 in saves), outfielder Jermaine Dye (who replaced Lee and has15 homers and 35 RBI), second baseman Tadahito Iguchi (.287, 9 steals) and catcher A.J. Pierzynski (.257, 11 HR) - all of whom have played major roles in the Sox's AL Central runaway.

and the Boston Globe chimes in
Central dispatch
Eastern elitists won't believe this, but the best division in the American League could be the Central. The White Sox entered the weekend with the best record in the majors, and three other teams were above .500 -- the Twins, Indians, and Tigers, who had won seven of eight and could be sending out slugger Magglio Ordonez, who has yet to play after undergoing hernia surgery, for a rehab assignment this week. ''I'm like a bullfighter," Ordonez said. ''If the bulls don't kill me, I'll be back." The White Sox, off to the best start in franchise history, had the AL's best home record (26-10), the best road record (23-12), and are 23-5 in their division. The top four teams in the Central (Kansas City is excused from this conversation) were 40-24 in interleague play, 26-23 vs. AL East teams, and 30-26 vs. the AL West.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2005/06/26/look_deeper_on_homer_totals/?page=full

Say it ain't so

"If he does not give us a little more stability, we're not going to live with this. I will get somebody else." White Sox GM Ken Williams on ex-Yankee Orlando Hernandez, who's given up 14 runs in his last 16.2 innings and is on the disabled list for the second time this season.

Erik The Red
06-27-2005, 03:23 PM
"If he does not give us a little more stability, we're not going to live with this. I will get somebody else." White Sox GM Ken Williams on ex-Yankee Orlando Hernandez, who's given up 14 runs in his last 16.2 innings and is on the disabled list for the second time this season.
AJ Burnett plz.

White Sox Josh
06-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Magglio Ordonez, who has yet to play after undergoing hernia surgery, for a rehab assignment this week. ''I'm like a bullfighter," Ordonez said. ''If the bulls don't kill me, I'll be back." The White Sox, off to the best start in franchise history, had the AL's best home record (26-10), the best road record (23-12), and are 23-5 in their division. The top four teams in the Central (Kansas City is excused from this conversation) were 40-24 in interleague play, 26-23 vs. AL East teams, and 30-26 vs. the AL West.I didn't know gimps could be Bullfighters.

Madvora
06-27-2005, 03:27 PM
outfielder Jermaine Dye (who replaced Lee and has15 homers and 35 RBI)
Wow, Carlos played left and right field!?
Why would we give up a guy like that?

fledgedrallycap
06-27-2005, 03:27 PM
''I'm like a bullfighter," Ordonez said. ''If the bulls don't kill me, I'll be back."

:?:

Hangar18
06-27-2005, 03:31 PM
A healthy Maggs Ordonez in this division scares me. However, I agree........
I want AJ Burnett too. KW should pretend hes Hendry and give them Vizcaino, Borchard..........

Rocky Soprano
06-27-2005, 03:34 PM
''I'm like a bullfighter," Ordonez said. ''If the bulls don't kill me, I'll be back."

Maybe he meant to say "If my bull**** injuries don't kill me, I'll be back."

gr8mexico
06-27-2005, 03:38 PM
A.J burnett is a good pitcher but another pitcher that I would love to see in the south side would be Jason Schmidt. The guy is a stud but has some arm problem but seems to be a great guy that would fit with this club.KW needs to go for it because it seems like most of the pieces are in place.

eriqjaffe
06-27-2005, 03:45 PM
The White Sox, looking to make their offense more speed-oriented, sent Carlos Lee to the Brewers for Scott Podsednik in an even-up exchange of left fielders.The Daily News seems to have forgotten about Luis Vizcaino.

...which may be just as well, really.

MIgrenade
06-27-2005, 05:00 PM
I want AJ Burnett too. KW should pretend hes Hendry and give them Vizcaino, Borchard..........

Watch it, someone will start a thread.:o:

doublem23
06-27-2005, 05:25 PM

Everything scares you, Hangar.

Frater Perdurabo
06-27-2005, 05:26 PM

A healthy Maggs won't be near the player he once was playing home games in Detroit. He'll get more doubles, but fewer homers.

I too think the biggest "hole" is another starting pitcher, although I'd also like to see Rob Mackowiak on the south side...

chaerulez
06-27-2005, 07:17 PM
A.J burnett is a good pitcher but another pitcher that I would love to see in the south side would be Jason Schmidt. The guy is a stud but has some arm problem but seems to be a great guy that would fit with this club.KW needs to go for it because it seems like most of the pieces are in place.

No, Jason Schmidt is as DL prone as Kerry Wood. I don't want to replace one injury prone pitcher with another. If Burnett is available, it'd be great to get him, but Schmidt is way too much of a risk.

Lip Man 1
06-27-2005, 07:24 PM
Just FYI, Burnett is a free agent after this season.

Lip

Chisox003
06-27-2005, 07:25 PM
No, Jason Schmidt is as DL prone as Kerry Wood. I don't want to replace one injury prone pitcher with another. If Burnett is available, it'd be great to get him, but Schmidt is way too much of a risk.

Burnett is coming off major arm problems himself, just a few years ago...

But with the moves KW made over the offseason, I think we can trust that he knows whether or not the guy we get (if any at all) is healthy...

Burnett just pitched a CG SO 2 nights ago (Granted it was against Tampa Bay), and has thrown 94+ innings this year (3.14 WHIP, close to a 3:1 K/BB, and a 1.19 whip)...I would absolutely love to get this guy and lock him up, but it just doesnt seem possible right now

KW, work some magic :gulp:

munchman33
06-27-2005, 07:33 PM

I'm not sure about this, but hasn't Burnett spent more time on the D.L. the last few years than Schmidt?