PDA

View Full Version : Why can't people just shut up and be quiet?!?!

Joosh
06-26-2005, 03:00 PM
You are supposed to be QUIET during the National Anthem!!!!!!

What blatant disrespect. Shut up, stop cheering and claping, and wait for it to be over!!!

batmanZoSo
06-26-2005, 03:06 PM
I know, **** everyone! :wink:

Jurr
06-26-2005, 03:37 PM
Yeah...and the guy talking on the cell phone while looking in the camera should be taken up to the fundamentals deck and pounded by a bunch of kids with aluminum bats.

andytheclown
06-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Did you witness the anthem during the NHL all star game at old Chicago Stadium?

That was the most stirring anthem I have ever seen.

The Critic
06-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Did you witness the anthem during the NHL all star game at old Chicago Stadium?

That was the most stirring anthem I have ever seen.

In that context, yes it was.
But when it happens before a Wednesday night game in December against Columbus, not so stirring.

Blackhawks fans are the ones responsible for the incessant clapping/shouting/whistling throughout the entire anthem. I don't like it, I think it's disrespectful.
But it's not going to stop happening now.

SOXSINCE'70
06-26-2005, 05:53 PM

What blatant disrespect. Shut up, stop cheering and claping, and wait for it to be over!!!

Amen!!

And,pardon my laguage,
TAKE YOUR "GOT DAMN" HAT OFF!!:angry: :angry:

Nothing pisses me off more than the drillrods who don't
understand that you take your hat (or cap) off during
the Anthem.

DickAllen72
06-26-2005, 06:06 PM

Amen! I was thinking the same thing today during the Anthem.

skobabe8
06-26-2005, 11:34 PM
:threadrules: God Bless America, and God Bless the Sox!

HebrewHammer
06-27-2005, 12:31 AM
If you want something to get upset about, I only saw five cubs out of the dugout for the national anthem. Five. That's just disgraceful.

mike squires
06-27-2005, 01:10 AM
I read in ESPN the mag that 90% of all people singing the anthem are lip sincing. I find that hard to believe.

One time we did a moment of silence for something on opening day a few years ago and a secuirty guard came busting out telling us to find out seats. We were in the upper deck.

TimoandAaron
06-27-2005, 01:16 AM
Back in the day at the Chicago Stadium, you couldnt even hear the National Anthem. IT WAS GREAT. That is what spread fear throughout the opposition, and pumped out the Hawks. That is why it was called THE MADHOUSE ON MADISON. What a place.

The Racehorse
06-27-2005, 07:51 AM
I read in ESPN the mag that 90% of all people singing the anthem are lip sincing. I find that hard to believe.

The Nats fans sing it with gusto. :cool:

daveeym
06-27-2005, 08:50 AM
One thing that I both like and dislike about the cell is how the vendors stop selling during the national anthem. Hate it because on weeknights I'm usually trying to get a brat and to my seat right about then, but overall, pretty cool and classy.

LongLiveFisk
06-27-2005, 10:13 AM
The Nats fans sing it with gusto. :cool:

More people need to sing along to the National Anthem. I can't believe how often I look around and see blank expressions on peoples' faces as the song is played. Are you ashamed to sing along? Or do you not know the words? Either way, sad!

That also goes for the rare occasions when "America The Beautiful" is played. Learn the lyrics and sing along, people! Set an example for all the kids out there so they'll learn at a young age to be proud of their country.

And yes, I always sing along, in case you're wondering if I'm being a hypocrite. :D:

Ol' No. 2
06-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Amen!!

And,pardon my laguage,
TAKE YOUR "GOT DAMN" HAT OFF!!:angry: :angry:

Nothing pisses me off more than the drillrods who don't
understand that you take your hat (or cap) off during
the Anthem.And while we're on the subject, you DO NOT remove your hat for "God Bless America". You do so ONLY for the National Anthem. Doing it for every patriotic song they play only cheapens the significance.

Cellview22
06-27-2005, 10:24 AM
More people need to sing along to the National Anthem. I can't believe how often I look around and see blank expressions on peoples' faces as the song is played. Are you ashamed to sing along? Or do you not know the words? Either way, sad!

That also goes for the rare occasions when "America The Beautiful" is played. Learn the lyrics and sing along, people! Set an example for all the kids out there so they'll learn at a young age to be proud of their country.

And yes, I always sing along, in case you're wondering if I'm being a hypocrite. :D:

I didn't know you're supposed to sing along to the National Anthem. I'm serious, if an amazing singer (for example I was hoping Leanne Rimes would sing since she was in town) is singing the Anthem, the last thing I want is a bunch of people around me with horrible voices ruining it for me. I want to hear nothing but her voice. I never sing along, and I don't think most people do either.

daveeym
06-27-2005, 11:03 AM
I didn't know you're supposed to sing along to the National Anthem. I'm serious, if an amazing singer (for example I was hoping Leanne Rimes would sing since she was in town) is singing the Anthem, the last thing I want is a bunch of people around me with horrible voices ruining it for me. I want to hear nothing but her voice. I never sing along, and I don't think most people do either. Wow, that really needed to be fixed.

ilsox7
06-27-2005, 11:04 AM
A couple of Mondays ago, the chair to some department at Columbia College played the National Anthem on his trumpet. It was INCREDIBLE.

itsnotrequired
06-27-2005, 11:07 AM
A couple of Mondays ago, the chair to some department at Columbia College played the National Anthem on his trumpet. It was INCREDIBLE.

I was at that game. That was one hot performance.

shoota
06-27-2005, 12:28 PM
If you want something to get upset about, I only saw five cubs out of the dugout for the national anthem. Five. That's just disgraceful.

That's disrespectful.

I'm glad last year's trade for Carlos Delgado didn't happen.

SSN721
06-27-2005, 01:02 PM
I always sing along, although weakly as I am sure there are people around me that want to hear the performer sing but I always like to sing along to it. As well as "God Bless America" although I dont think many people know the words to that one. I al ways though "America the Beautiful" would be the perfect 7th inning patriotic tribute song. Also, I remove my hat for god bless america, but what is protocol for that? Are you supposed to remove our hat for the other patriotic songs or just the anthem? I always do out of respect but not sure if there is a strict rule for it.

TheOldRoman
06-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Wow, that really needed to be fixed.
Wow, you really showed some class and intelligence there! I don't care how dumb you are or whether or not you like country muisc, but to claim Leanne Rimes isn't a great singer (without listening to her music) is beyond dumb. It's cub fan dumb. Oh well, now you can go tell your buddies "ha ha, I just made fun of a country singer online. Now lets crush beer cans on our heads."

maurice
06-27-2005, 01:24 PM
:hijacked:

Even if you dislike her style of music, Rimes has an awful lot of singing ability. I mean, most of the songs sung by Mariah Carey and Christina Agulera (sp?) are crap, but you can't reasonably knock their world class talent. Fortunately, there are plenty of other reasons to knock them, if you're so inclined.

34 Inch Stick
06-27-2005, 01:28 PM
I could hijack this by going into a leftist rant about the appropriateness of singing such songs at non state events. I will keep this out of the roadhouse and just say there are many appropriate ways to show respect for your country including your interactions with its citizens and guests.

1951Campbell
06-27-2005, 01:35 PM
More people need to sing along to the National Anthem. I can't believe how often I look around and see blank expressions on peoples' faces as the song is played. Are you ashamed to sing along? Or do you not know the words? Either way, sad!:D:

Seriously...my singing is so bad that I don't want people to think I'm being disrespectful. Hence I don't sing. I'm not even kidding.

TornLabrum
06-27-2005, 01:55 PM
And while we're on the subject, you DO NOT remove your hat for "God Bless America". You do so ONLY for the National Anthem. Doing it for every patriotic song they play only cheapens the significance.

Thank you, Farmio. :D:

TornLabrum
06-27-2005, 01:57 PM
Seriously...my singing is so bad that I don't want people to think I'm being disrespectful. Hence I don't sing. I'm not even kidding.

I don't have a 3-octave range.

Cellview22
06-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Wow, that really needed to be fixed.

I don't use teal very often; I think I've used it maybe once or twice in 2 years. It's used way too often on this board. Teal is becoming almost as annoying as Cubbie blue!

WhiteSoxFan84
06-27-2005, 02:54 PM
what pisses me off the most (and almost everytime ive been to wrigley this has happened) is when people start clapping 3/4's of the way into the anthem. sort of "building up steam" for the finale. how about waiting til you hear "and the home of the brave" and then go crazy.

i just love throwing in my personal favorite, PLAY BALL!, after the clapping slowly quiets down.

maurice
06-27-2005, 02:58 PM
My patriotic pet peve is when people write on the flag.

Nellie_Fox
06-28-2005, 01:43 AM
I don't use teal very often; I think I've used it maybe once or twice in 2 years. It's used way too often on this board. Teal is becoming almost as annoying as Cubbie blue!Maybe, but it has prevented a lot of misunderstandings since its inception. Does away with all the "Dood, I was joking man, lighten up" "well, I sure couldn't tell, I thought you were serious" exchanges.