PDA

View Full Version : Mark Buehrle Article

White Sox Josh
06-26-2005, 01:49 PM
Buehrle Article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050625buerhle,1,5186819.story?coll=cs-home-headlines)

This is a really good article.

soxfanreggie
06-26-2005, 02:03 PM
I'm thinking a nice 6 year $70 million extension is needed after reading this :D:

CallMeNuts
06-26-2005, 02:52 PM
I'm thinking a nice 6 year $60 million extension is needed after reading this :D:

Isn't deep pink the color for wishful thinking? We'll be very lucky to sign MB for 60. I hope the Chairman considers Mark to be an exception to his policy of giving no long-term deals to pitchers. Mark will get a well deserved 75 or 80 for 5 years from somebody. I hope it is from us. The Cardinals (with a new ballpark) won't think twice about offering that much.

But don't get me worrying. This year is too much fun to get distracted.

ShoelessJoeS
06-26-2005, 03:11 PM
Isn't deep pink the color for wishful thinking? We'll be very lucky to sign MB for 60. I hope the Chairman considers Mark to be an exception to his policy of giving no long-term deals to pitchers. Mark will get a well deserved 75 or 80 for 5 years from somebody. I hope it is from us. The Cardinals (with a new ballpark) won't think twice about offering that much.

But don't get me worrying. This year is too much fun to get distracted.buehrle loves playing for the sox and gets along well with all of his teammates. hopefully we can get him at a home town discount, i just hope he doesnt pull a jagglio

CallMeNuts
06-26-2005, 05:38 PM
buehrle loves playing for the sox and gets along well with all of his teammates. hopefully we can get him at a home town discount, i just hope he doesnt pull a jagglio

I'm confident that MB will always be a class act. I'm confident MB will never be a Boras client. I even believe MB will give the Sox a home town discount. But he won't be a steal. We are talking about one of the top 5 pitchers in MLB. He'll have a family to think of by the time he signs his next deal. The home town discount won't be more than 10 million over 5 years.

ShoelessJoeS
06-26-2005, 06:15 PM
I'm confident that MB will always be a class act. I'm confident MB will never be a Boras client. I even believe MB will give the Sox a home town discount. But he won't be a steal. We are talking about one of the top 5 pitchers in MLB. He'll have a family to think of by the time he signs his next deal. The home town discount won't be more than 10 million over 5 years.
even still that seems as if the sox would be largely underpaying him, but thats what i hope he gets and signs for

buehrle4cy05
06-26-2005, 06:46 PM
That was a great article. I thought it was interesting how he got cut from his Freshman and Sophomore teams. That being said, MB is a class act, and if he does end up leaving the South Side, I'm sure it won't be in the same way that Ordonez did.

Another note: I hope, if this is Frank's last year with the Sox, that he goes out with class, too.

soxfanreggie
06-26-2005, 06:52 PM
The 6 years, 60 mil was a mistake on my part. I meant to hit the 7 and didn't notice it. I don't think Mark is the kind of guy that will comand a 90-100 million contract. He seems set with what he has. I also don't agree with the "I have to feed my family bit." Unless your family is a few thousand, you shouldn't have to worry about having to live on only 10-12 mil a year rather than 14-15. I mean, we're not even talking about endorsements and auto. signings, etc, and bonuses. I mean, heck, you can't buy 10 Porsches with a million a year, but you can live very very very comfortably. I'm glad Mark isn't like those kind of athletes. I think that is would be nice next year to work out an extension with Mark. We have an extension of $9.5 million for 2007, but let's say...$10 mil in 2007, 11 mil in 2008, 13 mil in 2009, 14 mil in 2010, 15 mil in 2011, and 17 mil in 2012. 6 years $80 mil. We could throw in a few bonuses...20 wins adds $200,000, a CY Young could be worth $250,000, All-Star appearance worth $100,000, etc, etc. He's well worth it. It's not a Kevin Brown contract, but it gives him security for a long, long time.

DaleJRFan
06-27-2005, 12:26 AM
Mark Buehrle will command 12-15mm a year when his time comes. He is one of the top pitchers in the game. I find it hard to believe that Uncle Jerry will bite for that, but MB has stated he's here until they tell him to leave.... I am just going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Steakpita
06-27-2005, 11:18 AM
"I love a woman in camoflage"

hahahahaha... way to go Mark.

White Sox Josh
06-27-2005, 12:42 PM
The 6 years, 60 mil was a mistake on my part. I meant to hit the 7 and didn't notice it. I don't think Mark is the kind of guy that will comand a 90-100 million contract. He seems set with what he has. I also don't agree with the "I have to feed my family bit." Unless your family is a few thousand, you shouldn't have to worry about having to live on only 10-12 mil a year rather than 14-15. I mean, we're not even talking about endorsements and auto. signings, etc, and bonuses. I mean, heck, you can't buy 10 Porsches with a million a year, but you can live very very very comfortably. I'm glad Mark isn't like those kind of athletes. I think that is would be nice next year to work out an extension with Mark. We have an extension of $9.5 million for 2007, but let's say...$10 mil in 2007, 11 mil in 2008, 13 mil in 2009, 14 mil in 2010, 15 mil in 2011, and 17 mil in 2012. 6 years $80 mil. We could throw in a few bonuses...20 wins adds $200,000, a CY Young could be worth $250,000, All-Star appearance worth $100,000, etc, etc. He's well worth it. It's not a Kevin Brown contract, but it gives him security for a long, long time.I would do that except make the last 2 years option years.

jackbrohamer
06-27-2005, 09:15 PM
This has nothing to do with Buehrle, but this part of the article kind of stings:

"When he comes home in the off-season, said Steve Berra, one of his closest friends and great nephew of Hall of Famer Yogi Berra , "the Cardinals are usually still in it and we'll go to a game..."

MUsoxfan
06-27-2005, 10:49 PM
This has nothing to do with Buehrle, but this part of the article kind of stings:

"When he comes home in the off-season, said Steve Berra, one of his closest friends and great nephew of Hall of Famer Yogi Berra , "the Cardinals are usually still in it and we'll go to a game..."

It's true though. For instance, if I pitched for the Reds and the season ended but the Sox were in the playoffs, nobody could keep me from going to Sox playoff games. He'll always be a Cards fan. That's fine by me

zach074
06-27-2005, 10:55 PM
Very good read. I am so glad we gota MB on our team, sounds like a great all around guy.