PDA

View Full Version : Sleeveless Jersey rant - never again this year, k?

milrtyme28
06-26-2005, 01:41 AM
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I've watched nearly every game this season and the sleeveless jerseys seem to have made their debut today. ( first time Ive seen or heard about em anyway - again, correct me if I am wrong. )

I am a bit superstitous and while I recognize that it ultimately has nothing to do with the outcome I am voting for no more sleeveless jerseys this year. First time out with these and the game reminds me of years gone by where the team gives up and concedes after the first five innings rather than the team we have grown to love of late that claws and scrathes to the end. This game was lifeless - so was the outfit. Besides, they dont look that great anyway.

Again, just stupid superstition on my part but I would like to see the black alternate jerseys on Sunday for Messiah vs. Garland!

Has anyone kept track of this? Is there a tally of W/L by Jersey worn? Just curious. :?:

doublem23
06-26-2005, 01:46 AM
Someone here is doing a running count of the number each uniform has been played in (A.T. Money?), but I don't know if he's keepinrg a record tally.

kj.hayes
06-26-2005, 07:47 AM
I may be wrong, but I think the jerseys were worn against Colorado when Freddy put away 22 batters in a row.

Brian26
06-26-2005, 08:35 AM
I may be wrong, but I think the jerseys were worn against Colorado when Freddy put away 22 batters in a row.

No, this was the first time. Maybe the Rockies were wearing their sleeveless jersey Sox-ripoffs that night. Yesterday was definitely the first time all year for the sleeveless, and the first time in many years that they weren't the sewn-on sleeves.

fquaye149
06-26-2005, 08:47 AM
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I've watched nearly every game this season and the sleeveless jerseys seem to have made their debut today. ( first time Ive seen or heard about em anyway - again, correct me if I am wrong. )

I am a bit superstitous and while I recognize that it ultimately has nothing to do with the outcome I am voting for no more sleeveless jerseys this year. First time out with these and the game reminds me of years gone by where the team gives up and concedes after the first five innings rather than the team we have grown to love of late that claws and scrathes to the end. This game was lifeless - so was the outfit. Besides, they dont look that great anyway.

Again, just stupid superstition on my part but I would like to see the black alternate jerseys on Sunday for Messiah vs. Garland!

Has anyone kept track of this? Is there a tally of W/L by Jersey worn? Just curious. :?:

boo to this :( This is worse than in 2003 when ND fans were frothing frenzy over the "green jersey debacle" vs. Boston College. At least then

a.) they tried to make it scientific (the color was confusing to Dillingham)
b.) it was a loss that was devastating to their season.

Here we just have blustering and superstition. What are we, cub fans?

illinibk
06-26-2005, 09:33 AM
get rid of the sleeveless jersey. I am not a fan of the alternate jersey in general (for all sports, not just baseball, even though I do like the black jerseys). Now alternate jerseys are bad enough, but when the alternate jersey has its own alternate jersey, that is going to far. What is wrong with home whites and road grays?

Jurr
06-26-2005, 09:53 AM
get rid of the sleeveless jersey. I am not a fan of the alternate jersey in general (for all sports, not just baseball, even though I do like the black jerseys). Now alternate jerseys are bad enough, but when the alternate jersey has its own alternate jersey, that is going to far. What is wrong with home whites and road grays?
I really don't care what they wear as long as they're winning in the jerseys.
For the record, with the current Sox color scheme, they really can't go wrong. All of the jerseys they wear look absolutely awesome, and they should keep rotating them all. I know it's not the "classic" approach, but I don't see anything wrong with 4 jerseys. They break up the monotony of 162 games for the players. Let 'em have fun!

SOX ADDICT '73
06-26-2005, 10:49 AM
:rolleyes: ...and if the Sox had gone out and drubbed the Northsiders 15-1, you and the other tinfoil-hat-wearers would be campaigning to wear the sleeveless uni every day. GMAB. This team could win if they played in their jammies.

White Sox Josh
06-26-2005, 11:29 AM
:threadsucks

TimoandAaron
06-26-2005, 11:33 AM

I like the blackhawks alternat Jersey.

for sox jersey's, my rankings would be:

1. Vest Jersey's(sleeveless)
2. Black Jerseys(especially in 90 degree weather with long sleeves)
3. White with pinstripes
4. Grey

I think that they should make a jersey that is black with white pinstripes.

TimoandAaron
06-26-2005, 11:34 AM
:threadsucksDo you have to use that on every thread?

RedPinStripes
06-26-2005, 11:36 AM
I have more of a problem with the sleeveless/shirtless drunk idiots at the park.

soxjim
06-26-2005, 11:45 AM

This is the first time I have seen them this year. I first saw them a few years back on opening day. As long as they win I don't care what jersey they wear.

This is the first time I have seen the jersey this year. The first time I saw the jersey was opening day a few years ago 2001? As long as they win I don't care what jersey they wear.

White Sox Josh
06-26-2005, 11:47 AM
This is the first time I have seen the jersey this year. The first time I saw the jersey was opening day a few years ago 2001? As long as they win I don't care what jersey they wear.Actually the first time they wore this jersey was in 99 against the Yankees. I eagerly awaited the arrival of this Jersey ever since seeing Manual wear it in the Cubune.

The Critic
06-26-2005, 12:09 PM
I have more of a problem with the sleeveless/shirtless drunk idiots at the park.

Ahhhh, you're just jealous of their bodies, aren'tcha? :D:

I like the vests. I like all four jerseys, but if I had to eliminate one of them, I'd get rid of the road greys and make the black alternate the road jersey.
Sacrilege, I know, but it's my least favorite of the four ( although, as I said, I do like them, just not as much ).

Lip Man 1
06-26-2005, 12:25 PM
The Sox unlike the Pirates, Athletics, Reds or Indians have no history with 'sleeveless' jerseys. I personally don't see any reason to have them at all unless it's to try to get folks to buy more merchandise.

In my opinion they should be permanently mothballed.

Lip

davenicholson
06-26-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm not at all superstitious, but I agree with Illini here--I dislike alternate jerseys in baseball and hockey (I couldn't care less about basketball). To me, alternate jerseys are just another way to generate souvenir dollars. That in and of itself isn't necessarily a bad thing to me, but I guess I'm just an old-fashioned traditionalist when it comes to my Sox and Hawks. By the way, in my opinion, the Blackhawk home white sweaters are the best-looking sports team apparel, bar none.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-26-2005, 12:48 PM
The sleeveless vests were introduced for the 1999 season. At the time I was mad because (as Lip points out) the Sox have no history wearing a sleeveless vest. However I changed my tune on this point. I like the sleeveless vest 100-times better than the tired and overworked "alternate" black jerseys that actually get worn more frequently than any of the four -- including the home and away main styles. What's that **** all about???
:o:

The whole point of a vest is to accentuate the contrast in the color of the sleeves and the torso. You can't get a greater contrast than black and white and that's why the Sox look so good wearing them. The Pirates look good wearing them, too, but the black and white contrast on their vests is diluted by the addition of yellow trim. Most of the other MLB vests are simply a joke and ought to be retired. (Think Kansas City wearing royal blue sleeves under a gray vest... <wretch>.)

The Sox lost one game. Big deal. If Contreras doesn't serve one solitary gopher ball the game's complexion is completely different. As for the tin-foil crowd asserting the vests had something to do with bad luck yesterday, you need to give it up and go root for the Lovable Losers. Inventing nonsense is what their fan base is all about.
:cool:

Jurr
06-26-2005, 02:29 PM
The Sox unlike the Pirates, Athletics, Reds or Indians have no history with 'sleeveless' jerseys. I personally don't see any reason to have them at all unless it's to try to get folks to buy more merchandise.

In my opinion they should be permanently mothballed.

Lip
Who cares what kind of "history" a team has with a certain jersey style?
If it looks good, go with it!
The Sox don't have much of a "history" with being the most dominant team in baseball, but we don't mind that much right now, either. If it looks good and feels good, wear it!

batmanZoSo
06-26-2005, 02:51 PM
There's nothing mystical about jerseys and winning. But I say yes, retire the sleeveless because they're ugly.

ShoelessJoeS
06-26-2005, 03:04 PM
There's nothing mystical about jerseys and winning. But I say yes, retire the sleeveless because they're ugly.
i second that motion

Wsoxmike59
06-26-2005, 04:41 PM
I like the sleeveless jersies, they look "classy" and as it was stated earlier in this thread, the contrast between the black sleeves and white vest totally works. But I feel that they should only be worn on the really hot days.

For the record, I like the Pirates, Reds, and Sox sleeveless jersies, but I give a big thumbs down to the Rockies and Royals, and Devil Rays...those sleeveless jersies just look atrocious!

Go on, give us another look at 'em Paulie!

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050625/capt.cxs11306252351.cubs_white_sox_cxs113.jpg?x=21 8&y=345&sig=yjw9gAUohR7pFjJI6BtTLA--

soxjim
06-26-2005, 05:37 PM
Actually the first time they wore this jersey was in 99 against the Yankees. I eagerly awaited the arrival of this Jersey ever since seeing Manual wear it in the Cubune.

Thanks for the correction on jersey history. Now lets go get the tigers.

Lip Man 1
06-26-2005, 09:44 PM
Jurr:

I just happen to think history does matter and I agree I think they look bad.

Lip

Brian26
06-26-2005, 09:46 PM

Tell me about it. Great post, brother.

lostletters
06-27-2005, 02:39 AM
They should not wear the sleeveless jersey because they just do not look good, on ANY team. Seriously the Sox should stick to the regular jersey when at home, and goe with the blacks or greys on the road.

This has nothing to do with superstition, but the sleeveless jersey is the worst jersey in baseball, no matter WHAT team is playing. They do not look "classy" at all, in fact, they are the exact opposite of classy.

Also I have no problem with the alternate blacks, those ARE classy.

Hangar18
06-27-2005, 08:21 AM
They did wear their SLEEVELESS for the 1st time this weekend ........
again, im not a sleeveless/vest fan, but dang they look EXCELLENT ON US.
Thats a great looking jersey

wdelaney72
06-27-2005, 08:22 AM
:threadsucks

Thank you, I agree.

nlentz88
06-27-2005, 09:17 AM
...the sleeveless jersey is the worst jersey in baseball, no matter WHAT team is playing. They do not look "classy" at all, in fact, they are the exact opposite of classy.

My sentiments exactly. Down with the vests!

As far as I'm concerned, the best Sox unis are:

1. White pin-stripes
2. Black alternate
3. Road grays
4. *retch* Vests

miker
06-27-2005, 12:02 PM
Do you have to use that on every thread?

When its your only talent, you exploit it!