PDA

View Full Version : Sox-Cub night games or lack thereof

ChiSox14305635
06-25-2005, 07:37 PM
Besides the ESPN Sunday Night game last year, I don't think there's been a night game since 2001 when Carlos Lee won the game with a slam. Did the Sox stop the policy because of security concerns, or for just the usual friendly banter between the sides?

DVsoxfan
06-25-2005, 07:39 PM
There was one last year on the 4th of July

Georgey3085
06-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Besides the ESPN Sunday Night game last year, I don't think there's been a night game since 2001 when Carlos Lee won the game with a slam. Did the Sox stop the policy because of security concerns, or for just the usual friendly banter between the sides?

I think its cuz ESPN wants to have the Mets and Yankees or ANY east coast team on rather then our Sox. But thats just me.

MikeLove
06-25-2005, 07:49 PM
pretty sure its to keep the crowd under control

jortafan
06-25-2005, 07:50 PM
I seem to recall it was the city of Chicago and the police who expressed desires that the inter-city games be played in daylight, and this is just a matter of the two ballclubs getting the MLB schedulers to go along with that wish.

Personally, I think it stinks. Although I can appreciate security concerns (all those drunks on the loose in Lakeview), i'd rather see at least one of the three games at the Cell played at night. It just seems more natural.

Lip Man 1
06-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Jorta is correct. One of the low moments in the series came when ESPN did Sunday Night Baseball in either 98 or 99. While the Cubs were batting in the 8th inning two 'fans' got involved in a fight down the 3rd base line. They rolled out on to the tarp and then on to the field, still throwing punches until security grabbed them and took them both away.

Lip

Foulke You
06-26-2005, 04:04 AM
Jorta is correct. One of the low moments in the series came when ESPN did Sunday Night Baseball in either 98 or 99. While the Cubs were batting in the 8th inning two 'fans' got involved in a fight down the 3rd base line. They rolled out on to the tarp and then on to the field, still throwing punches until security grabbed them and took them both away.

Lip
It was 1999 at Comiskey Park. I was at that game. A Sox and a Cub fan were trading blows and it spilled out over the railing. They were quickly ejected as you pointed out. Sox lost that one 6-3 if I recall correctly but won the season series 4-2.

kevingrt
06-26-2005, 10:30 AM
I understand that the police and City of Chicago don't want to have night games; I also respect their decision on that. But how cool would it be to have a 7:05 start when we can actually see the fireworks Frank, Crede, etc. light off. I would love to see a night game but I just don't think it would happen, unless it was ESPN Sunday night baseball.

dickallen15
06-26-2005, 11:00 AM
It was 1999 at Comiskey Park. I was at that game. A Sox and a Cub fan were trading blows and it spilled out over the railing. They were quickly ejected as you pointed out. Sox lost that one 6-3 if I recall correctly but won the season series 4-2.

Wasn't that the year Bill Simonsen formerly of AM1000 got the crap beat out of him? They should make these weekday games. It would be huge for the White Sox attendance. The night games wouldn't be as rowdy. Make it a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday series. Make the Pepsi 2 for 1 UD offer not valid for that game. Why not get a sellout for a day you struggle to draw.

Foulke You
06-26-2005, 11:15 AM
Make it a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday series. Make the Pepsi 2 for 1 UD offer not valid for that game. Why not get a sellout for a day you struggle to draw.
The first ever interleague matchup between the Sox and Cubs were indeed weekedays at Comiskey Park. The first game was not quite a sellout and but the other two games were. (This is when the Sox were only averaging about 17,000 a game too) After the league realized what interest there was in the series, all of the crosstown games since have been weekend series except for 2001 which had an odd schedule quirk of one of the series at Wrigley being Thursday, Friday, Saturday with the Sox heading to Milwaukee to start a series on Sunday. I like the fact that the series takes place on the weekend. It gives the series more attention and makes it easier for me to attend the games as well.

thepaulbowski
06-27-2005, 08:21 AM
Wasn't that the year Bill Simonsen formerly of AM1000 got the crap beat out of him?

IIRC, that was 2000.

MsSoxVixen22
06-27-2005, 12:04 PM
The Cubs hardly play any nite games cos it's way past their bed time! And plus the Sox kick even more ass at nite! :supernana: