Rocklive99
06-25-2005, 07:00 PM
Little chopper!

dranny32
06-25-2005, 07:01 PM
For how bad contreras was throwing i dont think 5 runs was that bad

The Racehorse
I wonder if ESPN will have their headline read 'Cubs mug the muggers on the southside'.

Jerko
What can you do? Greggie-poo had the spitter going today.

Unregistered
Like i said in the Game Thread, this is the one we had the best chance of losing. Brush it off and let's win the series tommorrow!

Jjav829
I'm going Antwan Jamison here.....

Happy Birthday, Aramis Ramirez! Hope you liked your present. :D:

batmanZoSo
06-25-2005, 07:02 PM
Contreras is a bum and we didn't hit either. That's a bad recipe.

Fake Chet Lemon
Did someone make it a law that we can't ever score more than two runs whenever Jose Contreras pitches? What the Hell, the guy never has anything to work with. Maybe that's partially why he is so careful and walks guys. SCORE THE GUY SOME RUNS FOR ONCE!!! Let's get em tomorrow.

ilsox7
Good pitching beats good hitting. Theirs was better today. Win the series tomorrow.

Jurr
People talk about Paulie's contract. Though I don't think Konerko's worth 10 mil a year, I SURE AS HELL don't think JC is worth 8.75 per.

dranny32
Sox should get atleast 4 innings of hitting against the cubs bullpen, should put up another 12 run game

TimoandAaron
rename the thread.

"*official* Contreras sucks so much he cant even beat the cubs postgame thread"

White Sox Josh
We Suck!
:chickenlittle:fireozzie:JMstays
:gascan
:selljerry

Unregistered
06-25-2005, 07:03 PM
Did someone make it a law that we can't ever score more than two runs whenever Jose Contreras pitches? What the Hell, the guy never has anything to work with. Maybe that's partially why he is so careful and walks guys. SCORE THE GUY SOME RUNS FOR ONCE!!! Let's get em tomorrow.Oh yeah, boo hoo for Contreras who let 4 runs cross the plate before the Sox even had a chance to bat.
:rolleyes:

ilsox7
rename the thread.

Oh please.

Fake Chet Lemon
Contreras is a bum and we didn't hit either. That's a bad recipe.

He could have collapsed and blew out the bullpen. Not a great outing, BUT NOT A BUM EITHER.

dranny32
Dont get down on contreras, he had his bad stuff and was wild and only gave up 5 runs.

Jurr
06-25-2005, 07:04 PM
BTW, I guess we get a good indicator of the boost the lineup gets with Frank's OBP snug in the middle, don't we? With Frank in the three hole, we're a dangerous offense. Without him, it's very hit or miss.

Jjav829
06-25-2005, 07:04 PM
We Suck!
:chickenlittle:chickenlittle

Stop spamming with tags that through off the screen. It's very annoying and not needed.

TimoandAaron
06-25-2005, 07:05 PM
Happy Birthday, Aramis Ramirez! Hope you liked your present. :D:

I wonder if the Mod will delete it?

Unregistered
Dont get down on contreras, he had his bad stuff and was wild and only gave up 5 runs.6 runs.

Jurr
He could have collapsed and blew out the bullpen. Not a great outing, BUT NOT A BUM EITHER.
Jose definitely isn't a bum. He's just gotta learn how to come in with that focus from pitch one instead of pitch 34 in the second inning. He's very prone to getting knocked around early. If he can get that under control, he's definitely worth the huge salary he draws.

The Racehorse
The Flubs got a cookie today because Contreras couldn't get it together from the get-go.

Time to start the fourth 8-game winning streak of the season tomorrow. :bandance:

batmanZoSo

Bum.

dranny32
6 runs.
was the 6th run his or neal's?

ChiSox7
06-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Go get em tomorrow. Another start to an 8 game winning streak!!!!!!!!

Jose has now had the offense score 3 runs or less in 13 of his 15 starts this year. THat is incredible. I hope he doesn't start nibbling because he knows they won't score him any runs.

The Racehorse
I wonder if the Mod will delete it?

Bro, the person that posted that is a Mod.

Jjav829
BTW, I guess we get a good indicator of the boost the lineup gets with Frank's OBP snug in the middle, don't we? With Frank in the three hole, we're a dangerous offense. Without him, it's very hit or miss.

Our offense has been fine without Frank in the lineup recently. Maddux just pitched a good game today. He struggled early on but kept his composure and shut us down. We wouldn't have won with Frank in there.

JB98
rename the thread.

Give me a break. JC is struggling a little bit. He's had two bad outings on this homestand, but he's been pretty good overall this year. Opposing hitters are hitting about .210 against him. I'll live with that out of our fourth or fifth starter in the rotation.

Forget about this one. Let's start another winning streak tomorrow.

Unregistered
6.1 IP
8 H
6 R
6 ER
2 BB
3 SO
1 HR

White Sox Josh
6 runs.Well Politte gave up the hit. Jose didn't pitch well however he still kept the team in the game. THis shouldn't make people forget about what he did for us during the first 2 months of the season.

TimoandAaron

It was Judy Contreras's

Jurr
06-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Ohhh...that was definitely JC's pretty little run.

Jjav829
Bro, the person that posted that is a Mod.
It was a joke. I was joking in the chat about starting a postgame thread with that as the title.

ShoelessJoeS
i didnt see any of the game and i just saw hollandsworthless' catch in the postgame show on comcast...OMG :o:

TimoandAaron
06-25-2005, 07:08 PM
Contreras tries to use his forkball WAY to much. He has to stay away from his supposive "forkball" and hammer fastballs in there.

Fake Chet Lemon
When Jon Garland defeats, the savior- the franchise- the almightly Mark Prior it's going to be a sweet weekend. Konerko and Podszilla are both batting .500 against Prior, they better be in the lineup. I want Frank in too.

Bisco Stu
Getting pretty obvious we only have 3 starters to rely on.

Can't wait for KW to pull the trigger to land us another SP.

ChiSox7
Oh yeah, boo hoo for Contreras who let 4 runs cross the plate before the Sox even had a chance to bat.
:rolleyes:

They've score more than 3 runs while he was in teh game TWICE in all 15 of his starts this year. Boo hoo for Contreras is right. He battles every game even when he doesn't have it, and when he does have it, they don't score him any runs to help him out.

Jjav829
06-25-2005, 07:09 PM
By the way, I just checked the "shoota 2005 official scoring guide" and found out that Crede actually did hit a home run today. Since it went over the wall and it was in a big situation, it can be scored a home run according to the shoota scoring system. Good news for Crede. We still lose by two though.

JB98
Our offense has been fine without Frank in the lineup recently. Maddux just pitched a good game today. He struggled early on but kept his composure and shut us down. We wouldn't have won with Frank in there.

I agree. We had a chance to score four or five against Maddux in the first two innings. Instead, we got only two. After that, he pitched great. Credit to him, no excuses for us.

Carl homered today, so I figured he did just as much good as Frank would have.

EdHerman12
:contreras: <-------I was hoping for 7 quality innings from this guy....sorry folks, but I'm a wee bit concerned about these early struggles....they'll get back at it tomorrow....:jon I like our chances!

GO SOX!

Bisco Stu
06-25-2005, 07:10 PM
They've score more than 3 runs while he was in teh game TWICE in all 15 of his starts this year. Boo hoo for Contreras is right. He battles every game even when he doesn't have it, and when he does have it, they don't score him any runs to help him out.

he's too up and down.

You want JC pitching Game 4 of the ALDS/CS if we're down 2-1 in the series?

I don't.

Duque could handle the pressure, but who knows about his health.

Jurr
Garland leaves the 3 spot and becomes an ace, only to be replaced in the three hole with someone that reminds us of the old Jon. How ironic.

The Racehorse
It was a joke. I was joking in the chat about starting a postgame thread with that as the title.

LOL! Nice... anyone see where my jock went, because I was FAKED OUT! :cool:

:)

batmanZoSo

Well, he "doesn't have it" 13 out of 15 times. He's 3-4 on a team that's close to .700. Defend that.

White Sox Josh
06-25-2005, 07:11 PM
Garland needs to drill that bastard Ramirez tommorow in the head. Let him enjoy that little HR hop a little more.

beckett21
Yeah let's pile on Contreras because we lost a game. :whiner:

ilsox7
Post game threads after losses are always interesting b/c you see who has a clue about baseball and who doesn't.

White Sox Josh
06-25-2005, 07:12 PM

If i decided what was Post of the Week, than this would be it.

ilsox7
Garland needs to drill that bastard Ramirez tommorow in the head. Let him enjoy that little HR hop a little more.

Wow. You have no clue. That is NOT how ANYONE should play the game. And for suggesting it, you ought to be banned.

Unregistered
Well Politte gave up the hit. Jose didn't pitch well however he still kept the team in the game. THis shouldn't make people forget about what he did for us during the first 2 months of the season.Giving up 4 runs in the top of the 1st isn't "keeping the team in the game." The team was out of the game before they even started batting.

Not a good performance today, but JC has given up 17ER in his last 19IP. I hope he gets back on track cause we'll need him down the stretch.

I remember reading what a big influence El Duque was on JC and how good he's been in helping JC pitch. Was Duque in the dugout today?

TimoandAaron
06-25-2005, 07:13 PM
If Hollandsworth didnt catch that ball, the sox could have scored a lot more thatn 4.

BTW, Crede did take advantage and he did hit one over the wall. It is just bad luck.

Fake Chet Lemon
Well, he "doesn't have it" 13 out of 15 times. He's 3-4 on a team that's close to .700. Defend that.

That's goofy. Everyone has that snakebit guy on the staff that gets no support. Unfortunately for Contraras it's him this year. He kept us in striking distance and OUR OFFENSE just sucked today, as they usually do when he pitches.

White Sox Josh
Wow. You have no clue. That is NOT how ANYONE should play the game. And for suggesting it, you ought to be banned.sorry I just think they need to hit Ramirez or brush him back. Mods should delete it. It won't happen again.

batmanZoSo
Giving up 4 runs in the top of the 1st isn't "keeping the team in the game." The team was out of the game before they even started batting.

Not a good performance today, but JC has given up 17ER in his last 19IP. I hope he gets back on track cause we'll need him down the stretch.

I remember reading what a big influence El Duque was on JC and how good he's been in helping JC pitch. Was Duque in the dugout today?

Apparently not. :wink:

Georgey3085
06-25-2005, 07:14 PM
Maddux had it working today pretty good after that big defensive play to take away Crede's homer...I think that sparked him and kinda shut us down today...eh, we can't win em all...but we still are 50-23, no one else can say that.:smile:

ShoelessJoeS
Post game threads after losses are always interesting b/c you see who has a clue about baseball and who doesn't.
^ :yup:

ChiSox7

That was exactly my point. They've scored 3 or fewer runs while he was in there in 13 of his 15 starts this season. Tough to get wins when you're offense doesn't score for you. THe reason we have the record we do is that the offense has come back against the bullpen in a bunch of those games.

He's given up 2 runs or fewer in NINE of his starts. 3 runs or fewer in 10. 4 runs or fewer in ALL but TWO (forgot today) start.

That's giving your team a chance to win. They aren't doing it for him.

ilsox7
sorry I just think they need to hit Ramirez or brush him back. Mods should delete it. It won't happen again.

Pitching inside and throwing at someone's head are completely different things. Not even in the same ballpark. Headhunting is just plain wrong and has no place in the game.

TimoandAaron
06-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Wow. You have no clue. That is NOT how ANYONE should play the game. And for suggesting it, you ought to be banned.

That is how they Used to play the game and it is a hell lot better than the little pansies who play today.

beckett21
06-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Giving up 4 runs in the top of the 1st isn't "keeping the team in the game." The team was out of the game before they even started batting.

They had 27 outs to make up 4 runs. **** happens.

Are you saying this team is incapable of scoring 5 runs in a game?

Sheesh. Rough crowd.

ilsox7
06-25-2005, 07:16 PM
Maddux had it working today pretty good after that big defensive play to take away Crede's homer...I think that sparked him and kinda shut us down today...eh, we can't win em all...but we still are 50-23, no one else can say that.:smile:

Hey! Good first post.

:welcome:

ilsox7
06-25-2005, 07:16 PM
That is how they Used to play the game and it is a hell lot better than the little pansies who play today.

They used to throw inside. Not at people's heads. One between the numbers? Sure. But not at heads.

Georgey3085
06-25-2005, 07:17 PM
Hey! Good first post.

:welcome:

Thanks...I've been a lurker here for a LONG time...thought I'd finally say something.

TimoandAaron
06-25-2005, 07:18 PM

by saying that, i dont mean throwing at his head, but hitting him in the midsection. Stupid hops after a home run and almost walking to first base are completely disrespectful and he should be punished.

ChiSox7

Sheesh. Rough crowd.

Thank you. Some of these posts are ridiculous.

Garland has more starts where he has given up more than 4 runs this year.

ChiSox14305635
The Cubs came out with a sense of urgency and got to Contreras early. Maddux was on target all day except for the 2nd inning, and even then, he had Lady Luck on his side with Hollandsworth robbing Crede of a home run. They got this one today, let's hope the Sox repay the favor tomorrow.

batmanZoSo
That's goofy. Everyone has that snakebit guy on the staff that gets no support. Unfortunately for Contraras it's him this year. He kept us in striking distance and OUR OFFENSE just sucked today, as they usually do when he pitches.

Hey, the guy blew it today. If Buehrle goes out next time and gives up 4, then holds 'em down, good for him. He's been great and he gets props for giving us a chance without his best stuff. Contreras buried us before we stepped to the plate and he's been enigmatic all year. And he gave up 6 earned.

You never know what happens if he only gives up two in the first. He's got a lot of talent, which shows by his .217 ba against, which before the game was second in the league. But he's a wuss and has no clue how to use his great stuff. And again, he's 3-4 on the best team in baseball. That's not getting it done.

TimoandAaron
06-25-2005, 07:19 PM
Thanks...I've been a lurker here for a LONG time...thought I'd finally say something.

Do you have Jave or whatever you need for the chat? If you do, check it out during a game.

ilsox7
06-25-2005, 07:19 PM

Cool. We definitely need as many people around here as possible who don't freak out about one loss. Good to see another!

Jjav829
06-25-2005, 07:20 PM

He was crap today, but I don't have much of a problem with him overall. I hate the walks and inconsistency as much as anyone else, but I can deal with Contreras, mainly because of Jon Garland. Garland has really stepped up to give us a good 1-2-3. If Garland wasn't pitching like he is, then I might be more worried. But at this point, Contreras is basically a #4/5. Would I like someone better? Sure. I'd love to have 5 aces but that isn't going to happen. The key is what happens with that other spot. If El Duque can come back and get outs consistently, we'll be fine. Otherwise the maddening lack of strikes thrown by the two Cubans becomes a little more noticeable.

ChiSox7
06-25-2005, 07:20 PM
Hey, the guy blew it today. If Buehrle goes out next time and gives up 4, then holds 'em down, good for him. He's been great and he gets props for giving us a chance without his best stuff. Contreras buried us before we stepped to the plate and he's been enigmatic all year. And he gave up 6 earned.

You never know what happens if he only gives up two in the first. He's got a lot of talent, which shows by his .217 ba against, which before the game was second in the league. But he's a wuss and has no clue how to use his great stuff. And again, he's 3-4 on the best team in baseball. That's not getting it done.

You simply can't use his record as an indicator of his pitching considering they have scored more than 3 runs while he has been in the game TWICE all year. It's amazing he has 3 wins.

Unregistered
06-25-2005, 07:21 PM

Sheesh. Rough crowd.
I'm just saying that putting the team in a 4 run deficit before they even put a bat in their hands isn't a great way to win ballgames, and it sets the tone for the rest of the game.

Is the team capable of scoring 5 runs? Crazier things have happened against Greg Maddux, but does that mean the other team deserves a 4 run handicap to start the game?

As you said, **** happens. I kinda marked this one as the one loss this weekend, anyway - lets win tommorrow and forget this game ever happened.

Fake Chet Lemon
The Cubs ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY HAD TO win this game and they played like it. Garland will defeat the savior manana putting earth back on its proper rotation.

Georgey3085
Do you have Jave or whatever you need for the chat? If you do, check it out during a game.

Whats that?

TimoandAaron
06-25-2005, 07:22 PM
He was crap today, but I don't have much of a problem with him overall. I hate the walks and inconsistency as much as anyone else, but I can deal with Contreras, mainly because of Jon Garland. Garland has really stepped up to give us a good 1-2-3. If Garland wasn't pitching like he is, then I might be more worried. But at this point, Contreras is basically a #4/5. Would I like someone better? Sure. I'd love to have 5 aces but that isn't going to happen. The key is what happens with that other spot. If El Duque can come back and get outs consistently, we'll be fine. Otherwise the maddening lack of strikes thrown by the two Cubans becomes a little more noticeable.

great post, but it is the same with crede. you cannot have all 3,4,and 5 hitters. I think Crede is great and he should have 2 HR and 5 Rbi's this series but o well. Crede is a respectable 8, or 9 hitter with 20+ HR and 70+ RBI"S.

Jjav829

Hey, Welcome Aboard! :D:

Feel free to say a lot more. You seem pretty sane. :smile:

dranny32
The sox really just hurt themselves w/ not getting those early runs in, but that happens after catching every break the last week.

TimoandAaron
06-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Whats that?

it is supposed to be Java, but click on the chat and see if it works.

ilsox7
Whats that?

He probly meant Java. And IMO, the chat has become overwhelmed by too many people posting and making sounds and stuff like that. I think I went in once this year and it was like night and day compared to last year and the year before. Before someone would do PBP and others would talk about random things, but there weren't more than 8 or 10 people. Now I think it's like 30 people and very tough to follow.

ShoelessJoeS
The Cubs ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY HAD TO win this game and they played like it. Garland will defeat the savior manana putting earth back on its proper rotation.
exactly, no need to freak out...9-1 in our last 10 games will be just fine for me

Jjav829
Here's a positive to consider. If we win tomorrow, we'll have won the series and everyone will be happy as opposed to if we won today and lost tomorrow where everyone would be pissed about not finishing the sweep. :smile:

TimoandAaron
06-25-2005, 07:24 PM
The sox really just hurt themselves w/ not getting those early runs in, but that happens after catching every break the last week.

They DID get early runs, it should have been 4. But we cannot have our #3 starter giving up 4 runs in the top of the 1st.

Frater Perdurabo
06-25-2005, 07:24 PM
Crede getting robbed of a homer was the play of the game. The Sox had put together a nice little rally and Crede should have tied it. No fault of Crede's, just a good play by whatever the heck that Cubs' fielder's name is.

Contreras, OTOH, has a $10 million arm and a ten cent brain. I can live with pitchers giving up hits, because the Sox defense will take care of many of them. What I can't stand, and what killed them in the first inning, was all the balls he threw, the HBP, the wild pitch and the walk. There is no excuse for Contreras making that many utterly stupid and completely unaviodable bad decisions (not mistakes) in the first inning except he's a complete rockhead (granted, that was a very cheap HBP on the bunt attempt). His unwillingness to throw strikes (he's perfectly capable of throwing strikes) helped load the bases. His bad decisions made the grand slam possible. Because he had loaded the bases and then fell behind Ramirez, Contreras had to groove one down the middle just to make sure he threw a strike. That's the one Ramirez crushed and that turned out to be the ballgame.
:angry:

Let's get them tomorrow to win the series....

ilsox7
06-25-2005, 07:25 PM
They DID get early runs, it should have been 4. But we cannot have our #3 starter giving up 4 runs in the top of the 1st.

Our #3 starter didn't throw today.

Unregistered
Here's a positive to consider. If we win tomorrow, we'll have won the series and everyone will be happy as opposed to if we won today and lost tomorrow where everyone would be pissed about not finishing the sweep. :smile:
:hawk
"I love it when you analyze."

dranny32

They also left 2 runners on 3rd base

batmanZoSo
You simply can't use his record as an indicator of his pitching considering they have scored more than 3 runs while he has been in the game TWICE all year. It's amazing he has 3 wins.

Okay, I'll use ERA, which is well over 4. If he was a kid, it wouldn't be a big deal, but this is a 34 (or god knows) year old veteran being payed a lot of money. I expect more out of him. Part of it is that he has such good stuff and he continues to flounder out there. No one on this team gets that much run support. Until Frank came, we were getting 4 a game. And all this is about him. I don't expect to win every day and the cubs came ready to play from the first pitch. If we win tomorrow, it's cool.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-25-2005, 07:26 PM

LOL- you got me! I'm usually all PO'd when we blow a sweep, great point.:kneeslap:

ShoelessJoeS
whether hes #3 or #5, he pitches every 5 days and thats what matters

TimoandAaron
He probly meant Java. And IMO, the chat has become overwhelmed by too many people posting and making sounds and stuff like that. I think I went in once this year and it was like night and day compared to last year and the year before. Before someone would do PBP and others would talk about random things, but there weren't more than 8 or 10 people. Now I think it's like 30 people and very tough to follow.

it isnt tough to follow. People still do pBp if you need it. I think Jjav was doing it today. Plus, people only make noise if a HR is hit or there ius a big play.

batmanZoSo

That's true. Two out of three can look different in a lot of ways. :cool:

ilsox7
Crede getting robbed of a homer was the play of the game. The Sox had put together a nice little rally and Crede should have tied it. No fault of Crede's, just a good play by whatever the heck that Cubs' fielder's name is.

Contreras, OTOH, has a $10 million arm and a ten cent brain. I can live with pitchers giving up hits, because the Sox defense will take care of many of them. What I can't stand, and what killed them in the first inning, was all the balls he threw, the HBP, the wild pitch and the walk. There is no excuse for Contreras making that many utterly stupid and completely unaviodable bad decisions (not mistakes) in the first inning except he's a complete rockhead (granted, that was a very cheap HBP on the bunt attempt). His unwillingness to throw strikes (he's perfectly capable of throwing strikes) helped load the bases. His bad decisions made the grand slam possible. Because he had loaded the bases and then fell behind Ramirez, Contreras had to groove one down the middle just to make sure he threw a strike. That's the one Ramirez crushed and that turned out to be the ballgame.
:angry:

Let's get them tomorrow to win the series....

Agreed. But he is our #4 starter and has been much better than many thought he'd be this year. Most teams would love to have him as a #4 b/c he has the ability to shut teams down. Do I want him out there in a game 7 instead of MB, JG, or FG? No. But we'd still have a chance to win that game, and most teams cannot say that about their #4 guy.

Jjav829
06-25-2005, 07:27 PM

You should have been in there today then. You would have loved it. I did play-by-play for most of the game and there were only like 10-12 people the entire game.

FWIW, I don't see what you're talking about with the noises. When the Sox score people go crazy with text and sounds for the first couple seconds but it dies down quick and goes back to normal. It's not like people just randomly make noises every minute of the game.

ilsox7
it isnt tough to follow. People still do pBp if you need it. I think Jjav was doing it today. Plus, people only make noise if a HR is hit or there ius a big play.

Eh, not the time or two I was in there. But I am in Chicago these days and don't need the PBP, so it's big deal to me.

Georgey3085

Yea thanks...I checked it out...works fine...so maybe I'll check that out sometime. I really don't see Prior pitching too well tomorrow...after having as many arm injuries as he's had and with the hot weather and the pitch count, I can really see us getting into the bullpen into the 5th or 6th innning easily...and as long as Novoa doesn't pitch we should be fine with JG going for us.

Fake Chet Lemon
Okay, I'll use ERA, which is well over 4. If he was a kid, it wouldn't be a big deal, but this is a 34 (or god knows) year old veteran being payed a lot of money. I expect more out of him. Part of it is that he has such good stuff and he continues to flounder out there. No one on this team gets that much run support. Until Frank came, we were getting 4 a game. And all this is about him. I don't expect to win every day and the cubs came ready to play from the first pitch. If we win tomorrow, it's cool.

Whenever you bring up the money they make you help yourself lose the arguement. Last I checked, the other guys make a lot of money too.

ilsox7
06-25-2005, 07:28 PM
You should have been in there today then. You would have loved it. I did play-by-play for most of the game and there were only like 10-12 people the entire game.

FWIW, I don't see what you're talking about with the noises. When the Sox score people go crazy with text and sounds for the first couple seconds but it dies down quick and goes back to normal. It's not like people just randomly make noises every minute of the game.

Sounds liek today was different than my other experience or two this year. I am guessing b/c most people were at the game. But the 10-12 people is a good number for the chat. That's when it is enjoyable. A couple months ago it was about 30 people and there would just be random people making noises just b/c they could. I will have to check it out again if it has calmed down some.

White Sox Josh
06-25-2005, 07:29 PM
Okay, I'll use ERA, which is well over 4. If he was a kid, it wouldn't be a big deal, but this is a 34 (or god knows) year old veteran being payed a lot of money. I expect more out of him. Part of it is that he has such good stuff and he continues to flounder out there. No one on this team gets that much run support. Until Frank came, we were getting 4 a game. And all this is about him. I don't expect to win every day and the cubs came ready to play from the first pitch. If we win tomorrow, it's cool.His ERA is like 4.20. That's way over 4.

TimoandAaron

I was there for some part of the game, but then i got angry and left then came back because i was bored.

ilsox7
Yea thanks...I checked it out...works fine...so maybe I'll check that out sometime. I really don't see Prior pitching too well tomorrow...after having as many arm injuries as he's had and with the hot weather and the pitch count, I can really see us getting into the bullpen into the 5th or 6th innning easily...and as long as Novoa doesn't pitch we should be fine with JG going for us.

Not teal. :smile:

Teal.

Georgey3085
06-25-2005, 07:30 PM

Teal.

Haha, well opps...rookie mistake. :redface:

TimoandAaron
06-25-2005, 07:31 PM

Teal.

its only his 4th post, give him a break:smile:

ilsox7
06-25-2005, 07:31 PM

It happens. I am sure someone will chime in with the Teal Police graphic.

JB98
06-25-2005, 07:32 PM
A 4.15 ERA from the No. 4 starter is not that bad, especially considering he's had two terrible starts on the homestand.

Like I said before, Contreras is struggling right now, but I'm not down on him. He'll be OK.

White Sox Josh
06-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Georgey3085
shees ROOKIES!:rolleyes::rolleyes::D::tongue: Just kidding. WELCOME!

shoota
06-25-2005, 07:33 PM
Today, both teams played the opposite of the way they played yesterday. Today it was the Cubs playing smartball, putting pressure on the Sox, while the Sox were the ones that hit two solo home runs like the Cubs did yesterday.

Today, it was the Cubs leadoff man who started off the game with a bunt single. Today, it was the Cubs playing successful hit and run. Today, it was the Sox who were paranoid over the Cubs baserunners and called for pitchouts. Today, it was the Sox pitcher who fell behind in the count and gave free bases to the opposition. Maddux didn't walk one Sox hitter.

Nice job by Everett and Dye for their solo home runs to cut the Cubs lead in half. Another nice day for Podsednik.

Farmer said today that left handed hitters are hitting over .300 against Marte. Not good.

Let's win the series tomorrow playing the way we did yesterday and the Cubs did today. Go Sox!

edit: Dye's defense saved a run when he threw out AmRam at the plate. And Iguchi saved another run with two good defensive stops in the same inning.

batmanZoSo
Whenever you bring up the money they make you help yourself lose the arguement. Last I checked, the other guys make a lot of money too.

Does it?

Jose Contreras 8.5 million (number 2 on the team)
Freddy Garcia 8 million
Mark Buehrle 6 million
Orlando Hernandez 3.5 million
Jon Garland 3.4 million

Now ranked by performance:

Mark Buehrle
Jon Garland
Freddy Garcia
Orlando Hernandez
Jose Contreras

White Sox Josh
Some moron just called in and saying that Contreras is the worst pitcher the Sox have ever had. Was that HomeFish by anychance.

ShoelessJoeS
06-25-2005, 07:34 PM
Does it?

Freddy Garcia 8 million
Mark Buehrle 6 million
Jon Garland 3.4 million

Mark Buehrle
Jon Garland
Freddy Garcia
Orlando Hernandez
Jose Contreras
no way, JC really makes that much?

TimoandAaron
06-25-2005, 07:35 PM
Some moron just called in and saying that Contreras is the worst pitcher the Sox have ever had. Was that HomeFish by anychance.

he is worse than Danny Wright.......or Jon Rauch.........or Billy Koch?

ilsox7

Yea. That's why the Yankees were willing to take on Steve last year...to get rid of the contract.

batmanZoSo

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/salaries?team=chw)

Georgey3085

Yea there are a lot of dumb people out there that TOTALLY freak out when we lose. But come on...worst ever??? Does anyone remember Jaime Navarro??? Please. :rolleyes:

TimoandAaron
06-25-2005, 07:36 PM

yea, for the money he is making, i would rather have a cheaper, more reliable Estoban Loaiza.

ilsox7
Yea there are a lot of dumb people out there that TOTALLY freak out when we lose. But come on...worst ever??? Does anyone remember Jaime Navarro??? Please. :rolleyes:

JC is the best #4 this team has had in a long while.

White Sox Josh
Yea there are a lot of dumb people out there that TOTALLY freak out when we lose. But come on...worst ever??? Does anyone remember Jaime Navarro??? Please. :rolleyes:at least Contreras can legitimately complain about not getting run-support.

batmanZoSo
06-25-2005, 07:37 PM
Yea. That's why the Yankees were willing to take on Steve last year...to get rid of the contract.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I want Stevie L back...:wink:

CHISOXFAN13
Garland leaves the 3 spot and becomes an ace, only to be replaced in the three hole with someone that reminds us of the old Jon. How ironic.

The horse is dead. How many more pots about how much you enjoyed Contreras' outing?

White Sox Josh
yea, for the money he is making, i would rather have a cheaper, more reliable Estoban Loaiza.:tealpolice:
Give me a break.

JB98

Let me think here: Schoeneweis, Danny Wright, Felix Diaz, Jon Rauch, Arnie Munoz, Josh Stewart, Jason Grilli. All worse than Contreras. And that was just last year. Let alone ever.

TimoandAaron
If Crede is only making 400k, he is a steal!!!!!

ilsox7
yea, for the money he is making, i would rather have a cheaper, more reliable Estoban Loaiza.

Steve was a free agent and JC has the talent. Like I said before...he can be erratic, but he can also shut down any team on any given day. His ERA is slightly over 4 after a couple of bad outtings. That isn't so bad.

Georgey3085
06-25-2005, 07:38 PM
link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/salaries?team=chw)

Is any of that money picked up by the Yankees in the trade for Loaiza...cuz I really dunno how the Sox 2nd highest paid player can be this average of a pitcher.

ShoelessJoeS
06-25-2005, 07:38 PM
i was thinking the same thing, on another note, im surprised JR took on that type of contract, especially what we were giving up (salary-wise)

White Sox Josh
06-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Let me think here: Schoeneweis, Danny Wright, Felix Diaz, Jon Rauch, Arnie Munoz, Josh Stewart, Jason Grilli. All worse than Contreras. And that was just last year. Let alone ever.actually when healthy Schoeneweis was pretty good as a starter. He was the teams best starter in the 1st 2 months of the season last year.

batmanZoSo
If Crede is only making 400k, he is a steal!!!!!

Check out Scotty's salary. How about turning your whole offense around for roughly the price of a new team lawyer? :tongue:

TimoandAaron
Let me think here: Schoeneweis, Danny Wright, Felix Diaz, Jon Rauch, Arnie Munoz, Josh Stewart, Jason Grilli. All worse than Contreras. And that was just last year. Let alone ever.

Diaz, Munoz, and Stewert are all first years last year, werent they?

Contreras is a veteran. you cannot compare him with a young minor leaguer.

White Sox Josh
Steve was a free agent and JC has the talent. Like I said before...he can be erratic, but he can also shut down any team on any given day. His ERA is slightly over 4 after a couple of bad outtings. That isn't so bad.Why are you calling him Steve?

White Sox Josh
06-25-2005, 07:40 PM

Contreras is a veteran. you cannot compare him with a young minor leaguer.Stewart wasn't!

ilsox7

Yes you can. We're talking about results TODAY. Not value of a player for the future. Contreras is a better option TODAY than one of those guys.

batmanZoSo
Is any of that money picked up by the Yankees in the trade for Loaiza...cuz I really dunno how the Sox 2nd highest paid player can be this average of a pitcher.

Maybe, maybe not I don't remember. But the point is, that's what he's making and he's not exactly earning it. He's been pitching a long time, even long enough in the big leagues to start picking it up. Is that too much to ask?

ilsox7
Why are you calling him Steve?

Either Esteban means Steve in Spanish or WSI got it all wrong when he was on the Sox. Either way, it was common to call him Steve a couple of years ago.

TimoandAaron
06-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Who would you rather have pitching,

Contreras?

or Loaiza?

batmanZoSo
Why are you calling him Steve?

Esteban = Steve.

dcb33

Contreras?

or Loaiza?

Buerhle

ilsox7
06-25-2005, 07:42 PM
Maybe, maybe not I don't remember. But the point is, that's what he's making and he's not exactly earning it. He's been pitching a long time, even long enough in the big leagues to start picking it up. Is that too much to ask?

He's actually only made 55 starts in the bigs.

Georgey3085
06-25-2005, 07:43 PM

for what JC is being paid...he SHOULD be a #1 or #2...and especially when Garland is looking at a new contract soon, he can just look at his teammate for good enough reason to be asking for alot more than $8.5 million...but I guess thats all that $8.5 million gets u these days.

TimoandAaron
06-25-2005, 07:45 PM
Buerhle
I do not recall that being one of the choices

JB98
06-25-2005, 07:45 PM

Contreras?

or Loaiza?

Contreras, hands down. Loaiza is a journeyman who had one flash-in-the-pan year. I'll take the guy with the good stuff.

batmanZoSo
06-25-2005, 07:46 PM
for what JC is being paid...he SHOULD be a #1 or #2...and especially when Garland is looking at a new contract soon, he can just look at his teammate for good enough reason to be asking for alot more than $8.5 million...but I guess thats all that $8.5 million gets u these days.

Makes you appreciate what we get out of Buehrle for 6 million. He's pitching like a 15 million dollar guy. Ditto Jon Garland. Semi-ditto Freddy, who's also giving us our money's worth.

MikeLove
Does it?

Freddy Garcia 8 million
Mark Buehrle 6 million
Jon Garland 3.4 million

first of all, the yankees signed him to that overblown contract, not the whitesox, plus they added in cash consideration. I didnt know having a winning baseball team was so easy. all you need is 5 aces, why didnt anyone ever think of that before?!? Please ill talke a starter from the bottom of the rotation that was 2nd in the al in BAA going into todays game. Yeah JC makes mistakes, but he basically can give the sox a good shot at winning anytime he goes to the mound.

ilsox7

Yea, it's a bad contract. I don't think anyone will argue that. But when you look at our staff as a whole, we get a lot of bang for the buck. And they will let JC walk after next year, so even if JG and MB get big raises this offseason, we really only get killed for 1 year. In 2007 we'll have FG, JG, and MB and then probably 2 younger starters (BMac?) in the 4 and 5 slots. That front 3 is pretty dominant, so if you can get an slightly above average guy in the #4 spot and an average guy in the #5 spot, you'll win a lot of games. And if BMac turns out to be a stud by 2007, you're looking at the best top 4 in baseball.

dcb33

Well, that's what $8.5 million gets you when you're King George and you're in a panic stricken bidding war with other big money teams to sign the latest flash in the pan sensation.

windycityson
it's a very simple we will light their @sses up tomorrow and that's all there is to it.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?:gulp:

JB98
06-25-2005, 07:47 PM
actually when healthy Schoeneweis was pretty good as a starter. He was the teams best starter in the 1st 2 months of the season last year.

And then he totally crapped out with health issues and ineffectiveness. Don't get me started. I'm a card-carrying member of Schoe's Foes.

beckett21
06-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Buerhle

See that's the problem here.

Buehrle is one of the elite pitchers in MLB.

Not a fair comparison.

:burly

I can't pitch every day folks.

JB98
06-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Yea, it's a bad contract. I don't think anyone will argue that. But when you look at our staff as a whole, we get a lot of bang for the buck. And they will let JC walk after next year, so even if JG and MB get big raises this offseason, we really only get killed for 1 year. In 2007 we'll have FG, JG, and MB and then probably 2 younger starters (BMac?) in the 4 and 5 slots. That front 3 is pretty dominant, so if you can get an slightly above average guy in the #4 spot and an average guy in the #5 spot, you'll win a lot of games. And if BMac turns out to be a stud by 2007, you're looking at the best top 4 in baseball.

Not to mention, it isn't our money, so why do we care if Reinsy is paying JC too much?

ilsox7
06-25-2005, 07:48 PM
it's a very simple we will light their @sses up tomorrow and that's all there is to it.

Germans?

ilsox7
06-25-2005, 07:49 PM
Not to mention, it isn't our money, so why do we care if Reinsy is paying JC too much?

Well, in theory, it is money that could be spent elsewhere. But the bottom line is our staff as a whole is very econimocal.

batmanZoSo
first of all, the yankees signed him to that overblown contract, not the whitesox, plus they added in cash consideration. I didnt know having a winning baseball team was so easy. all you need is 5 aces, why didnt anyone ever think of that before?!? Please ill talke a starter from the bottom of the rotation that was 2nd in the al in BAA going into todays game. Yeah JC makes mistakes, but he basically can give the sox a good shot at winning anytime he goes to the mound.

He's our number 3 and has been all year. And where's our 4 other great starters? El Duque has been having problems and when he's in he hasn't looked very good at all. That's fine, that's what you get with him. Big props for being 7-3 all things considered. But if we have two starters not getting it done, I look to the guy who's healthy and making more money than 23 other guys on the team.

Georgey3085

Because then we are paying more to go to a game...DUHHH!

ShoelessJoeS
06-25-2005, 07:50 PM

dont you mean japanese?

TimoandAaron
06-25-2005, 07:51 PM
dont you mean japanese?

leave him alone, he is on a good run.

JB98

Yes, I can. They were all pitchers with the White Sox, and I hold them to the same standard. This is the big leagues. You sink or swim.

batmanZoSo

Hopefully we make the playoffs, whatever happens happens, then JR raises the payroll, KW gets another Garcia/Buehrle type and BMac is the one weak link in the 5 spot. Then if he's money, it's a bonus.

Unregistered
06-25-2005, 07:52 PM
dont you mean japanese?Whoever it was, they flew right over your head. Pun intended.
:D:

Animal House (http://www.whysanity.net/monos/ahouse.html)

JB98
Because then we are paying more to go to a game...DUHHH!

Do you honestly believe tickets prices would be lower if JC was making $4 million a year instead of $8 million? C'mon. Let's get serious.

batmanZoSo
dont you mean japanese?

You need to get out to the movies more often. :tongue:

ilsox7
06-25-2005, 07:53 PM
Hopefully we make the playoffs, whatever happens happens, then JR raises the payroll, KW gets another Garcia/Buehrle type and BMac is the one weak link in the 5 spot. Then if he's money, it's a bonus.

Unless KW can somehow trade Orlando or JC, I doubt we will see anything more than a 1/2 year rental this year. I think next year's staff is pretty well set unless one of those guys is traded. Not sure if the payroll can absrob eating several million dollars.

Frater Perdurabo
06-25-2005, 07:54 PM
:tomatoaward:

belatedly

ilsox7
06-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Whoever it was, they flew right over your head. Pun intended.

Aw man, we so had that going on. :D:

beckett21
06-25-2005, 07:55 PM
He's our number 3 and has been all year. And where's our 4 other great starters? El Duque has been having problems and when he's in he hasn't looked very good at all. That's fine, that's what you get with him. Big props for being 7-3 all things considered. But if we have two starters not getting it done, I look to the guy who's healthy and making more money than 23 other guys on the team.

Hmmm, so Hernandez gets a free pass because he's hurt and has apparently been less than honest about how he has felt physically, but Contreras goes out and battles his ass off with less than his best stuff, takes the mound every 5th day, and he deserves to be the whipping boy?

:bs:

I expect more out of both of them, but at least Contreras is out there when he is supposed to be. Would people really be happy if Jose was not in the rotation right now? Honestly?

I seriously doubt it. Unless they are certifiably insane.

MikeLove
JC has the ability to shut any team in the league down when he starts, but its a crap shoot with what is going on in his head during any given outing. I say its nice to be able to have a 3rd, 4th whatever starter that can do that. He isn't losing us ballgames singlehandedly, and even if you think he is at least its only every 5th game.

Georgey3085
Do you honestly believe tickets prices would be lower if JC was making $4 million a year instead of $8 million? C'mon. Let's get serious.

No not just him...I think if all athletes got paid a lot less it could possibly happend...but knowing how the world works...there is not point in arguing this cuz it wouldn't happend.

ShoelessJoeS
06-25-2005, 07:56 PM
You need to get out to the movies more often. :tongue:
sorry, im a history major, i guess its a force of habit :redface:

TimoandAaron
06-25-2005, 07:56 PM
last hockey season, we were down by two goals with 3 min 2 go and at my home arena the played that."Over did you say OVER.....nothing is over till we;ve decided it." and we came back and won 4-3. I scored the 2 and 4th goals. The 4th goal was with 10 secs to go.

ilsox7
06-25-2005, 07:57 PM
No not just him...I think if all athletes got paid a lot less it could possibly happend...but knowing how the world works...there is not point in arguing this cuz it wouldn't happend.

I hear the NHL will be paying fans to show up.

TimoandAaron
06-25-2005, 07:58 PM
I hear the NHL will be paying fans to show up.I guarantee you Wirtz will make ticket prices more expensive and parking will be 25 bucks next season because of the lockout.

shoota
I started off the year not being a Jose Contreras fan, but his performances have made me a fan. He pitched poorly today, but he did keep the game relatively close.

BAA against is a huge indicator of how good he has been. Second in the AL coming into today's game? I'll gladly take it.

I was one of the posters who didn't like Contreras's lack of pitch efficiency. He listened to his coaches and became much more efficient. He's kept us in most every game he's pitched this year.

He has received the worst run support of the entire staff. He has pitched much better than his record has indicated. As far as run support, he's like the Clement of last year.

batmanZoSo
Hmmm, so Hernandez gets a free pass because he's hurt and has apparently been less than honest about how he has felt physically, but Contreras goes out and battles his ass off with less than his best stuff, takes the mound every 5th day, and he deserves to be the whipping boy?

:bs:

I expect more out of both of them, but at least Contreras is out there when he is supposed to be. Would people really be happy if Jose was not in the rotation right now? Honestly?

I seriously doubt it. Unless they are certifiably insane.

BS? Not every player is held to the same standards. Honestly, did you expect 7-3 from El Duque?

Unregistered
06-25-2005, 07:59 PM
last hockey season, we were down by two goals with 3 min 2 go and at my home arena the played that."Over did you say OVER.....nothing is over till we;ve decided it." and we came back and won 4-3. I scored the 2 and 4th goals. The 4th goal was with 10 secs to go.
http://hollywoodcostumesandparty.com/austinpowers/evil2b.jpg
"...right."

Georgey3085
06-25-2005, 08:00 PM
I hear the NHL will be paying fans to show up.

Well they'll have to pay me...cuz until Wirtz sells or DIES...I am not going back to another Hawks game...that man is the worst owner in the history of all sports...no joke. He ruined hockey in our city, he has a stupid reason not to put the home games on TV, and he ran Bobby Hull outta Chicago. :angry:

ilsox7
06-25-2005, 08:00 PM
BS? Not every player is held to the same standards. Honestly, did you expect 7-3 from El Duque?

I think the point is that with the run support Orlando has gotten, if JC had gotten that support, he'd probly be 7-3, too. Bottom line is JC has kept us in the lead or within 1-2 runs in pretty much every start but 1 or two. Not bad from your #4.

MikeLove
06-25-2005, 08:01 PM

honestly, i think the bigger surprise is contreras, i hate to sound like im in love with the guy cause im not, i just think he gets a bum rap

SoxSpeed22
06-25-2005, 08:01 PM
60 losses. We can't seem to get over that 8 game hump!

Corlose 15
06-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Hollandsworth's catch today was the turning point in the game. It would be game tied nobody out with the Sox having all the momentum. They were never able to break out afterwords.

Contreras has had 2/3 crappy starts now, hopefully he can get back on track.

That said, I HATE THE CUBS. I wanted to reach through the TV and deck all those know nothing, elitist, condesending, SOBs. I'll be at the game tomorrow and I hope Garland shuts down the baby bears.

GO SOX!!!!!!

TimoandAaron
06-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Whoever it was, they flew right over your head. Pun intended.

they should play that before the first batter of the bottom of the ninth at every Sox game in the cell...................................you know.............................................. ...........to pump up the fans

mdep524
06-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Can't win 'em all... as far as I can see no real reason to freak out about this one.

Still, I wish we made the Cubs work a little more to win... bunt, hit-by-pitch, walk. That's a pretty easy way to load the bases. Then Ramirez gets a fat one, and the Cubs work for the day is done.

Otherwise, only one minor gripe- AJ's at bat in the 7th inning. He swung wildly at the first two pitches-both out of the zone- then misses the 0-2 pitch by a country mile. That was a very crucial at bat, if AJ were a little more patient he could have worked the count and earned a walk to set up the inning. Instead, his whole at bat looked half-a**ed to me. That was disappointing.

Go get 'em tomorrow, Jon!

batmanZoSo
06-25-2005, 08:06 PM
I think the point is that with the run support Orlando has gotten, if JC had gotten that support, he'd probly be 7-3, too. Bottom line is JC has kept us in the lead or within 1-2 runs in pretty much every start but 1 or two. Not bad from your #4.

He's a number 3 and a guy making 8.5 million should be able to do more than "keep us in the game." You guys act like this is a rookie.

beckett21

No.

I don't have a problem with El Duque either. He has exceeded my expectations. He has shown a lot of heart pitching at less than 100%. I hope he is back soon.

Maybe I just have more realistic expectations of Contreras. He is not going to be lights out every night. But at least he is out there, eating up innings. For the most part he keeps the team in the game every time out. You can count on him showing up every 5th day. No, you don't always know what you are going to get. But it is a helluva lot better than the crapola-go-round we have had the past few seasons, last year in particular.

I just think Jose is being unfairly piled upon here. That's all. Cy Young he isn't. But it could be a lot worse.

Unregistered
they should play that before the first batter of the bottom of the ninth at every Sox game in the cell...................................you know.............................................. ...........to pump up the fansHopefully not too many games get to the bottom of the ninth this year at the Cell. :cool: :gulp:

ilsox7
06-25-2005, 08:08 PM
No.

I don't have a problem with El Duque either. He has exceeded my expectations. He has shown a lot of heart pitching at less than 100%. I hope he is back soon.

Maybe I just have more realistic expectations of Contreras. He is not going to be lights out every night. But at least he is out there, eating up innings. For the most part he keeps the team in the game every time out. You can count on him showing up every 5th day. No, you don't always know what you are going to get. But it is a helluva lot better than the crapola-go-round we have had the past few seasons, last year in particular.

I just think Jose is being unfairly piled upon here. That's all. Cy Young he isn't. But it could be a lot worse.

But we're supposed to have 5 Cy Young Award candidates!

beckett21
06-25-2005, 08:09 PM
He's a number 3 and a guy making 8.5 million should be able to do more than "keep us in the game." You guys act like this is a rookie.

27 games over .500.

That's the only stat that matters. :cool:

dcb33
06-25-2005, 08:10 PM
See that's the problem here.

Buehrle is one of the elite pitchers in MLB.

Not a fair comparison.

:burly

I can't pitch every day folks.

It was a stupid answer to an equally stupid question. The Contreras/Loaiza trade occured nearly a year ago and was summarily discussed. There's no point in rehashing the past becuase he's our guy for better or worse. Let's just hope he gets things straightend out.

batmanZoSo
06-25-2005, 08:11 PM
27 games over .500.

That's the only stat that matters. :cool:

That's in the bank. You gotta have something to talk about. :wink:

beckett21
06-25-2005, 08:14 PM
It was a stupid answer to an equally stupid question. The Contreras/Loaiza trade occured nearly a year ago and was summarily discussed. There's no point in rehashing the past becuase he's our guy for better or worse. Let's just hope he gets things straightend out.

Gotcha. Amen to that.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Does it?

Freddy Garcia 8 million
Mark Buehrle 6 million
Jon Garland 3.4 million

Mark Buehrle
Jon Garland
Freddy Garcia
Orlando Hernandez
Jose Contreras

It's a good point you make, but I meant the other teams hitters also make a lot of money to get hits against him. We gave up very little in talent to get Contreras, so the trade off is his salary is a little higher than you'd like. It's a good trade off if it keeps a guy like McCarthy out of the trade and in our system.

mmmmmbeeer
06-25-2005, 08:25 PM

Well over 4? Dude, he was at 3.83 going into the game today and now has a 4.15. He's a #4 pitcher. How about you take a look at each MLB staff and see how many #4 guys have ERA's that low? As a matter of fact, how about checking to see how many teams' #1's had ERAs below 3.83 going into today? He pitched a strong 6 innings after that ugly 1st inning. You keep on harping on the size of his salary but you gotta remember why he got paid that much in the first place...the two teams with the league's highest payrolls got into a bidding war. The Yankees picked up enough of his salary in the E-Lo trade to bring his salary to a reasonable level.

You seem to know a good bit about the game of baseball, I'm shocked that you tried to use his record and exaggerate his ERA to prove your personal objections with him. Jose is an awesome #4 on a $75M payroll team. There's another Sox pitcher who makes more money who, until his last start, had the same propensity to start the game by giving up an early lead. Do you criticize him the same way you criticize Jose?

Chisox003
06-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Yikes, almost 200 posts....Explosion

What else to say...Tough loss, get em tomorrow and take 2 of 3, season series 4-2, and stay atop the central by 9 or 10

No big deal

Lip Man 1
06-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Can't win them all although there is something bizarre about having three eight game winning streaks and not be able to pick up the ninth win...

Lip

ilsox7
06-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Can't win them all although there is something bizarre about having three eight game winning streaks and not be able to pick up the ninth win...

Lip

Let's hope their saving the 9 gamer for the last game of the ALDS and all of the ALCS and World Series. :D:

MRKARNO
06-25-2005, 08:38 PM

It's not his fault that Steinbrenner overpaid him and Kenny decided that he was willing to take on most of the rest of that contract. He's a 3/4 starter. Accept him for what he is because what you see is what you get. I don't want him getting near the playoffs, but if he can get us there, then that would be great.

dranny32
06-25-2005, 08:42 PM
He is currently the "worst" starter on the team but he is still pitching better than a lot of other teams #2 and #3 guys. You cant ask for anything better than keeping the team in the game. The sox are 8-9 when he starts.

Blob
06-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Bum.

Yeah, well... that's just like... uh... your opinion mån.

Blueprint1
06-25-2005, 08:56 PM
I can't believe the # of reply's in this thread. We lost today. I hope that we can beat Prior tomorrow. We didn't have much luck against him last time. The key for the Sox is getting the lead early. If we lose tomorrow we still split for the season thats the BEST they can hope for.

FarWestChicago
06-25-2005, 09:03 PM
I can't believe the # of reply's in this thread.I can. Typical Dark Cloud moron ****.

White Sox Josh
06-25-2005, 09:11 PM
:threadsucks

chisox06
06-25-2005, 09:12 PM

Because we have a limited payroll. When we dumped C.Lee and Jagglio we didn't only get Pods and Luiz but more payroll flexibility to sign guys like Dye and AJ. JC is not worth 8.5 mil, period. The most frustrating thing about Jose is that the talent is their for him to be lights out, its just a mental block with this guy. If he wasn't such a head case he would be much more effective.

buehrle4cy05
06-25-2005, 09:19 PM
:threadsucks

Anybody have a stat on how many times a member has "THIS THREAD SUCKS" 'ed his/her own thread?:kukoo:

beckett21
06-25-2005, 09:20 PM

Lip

What a terrible problem to have. This team is obviously seriously flawed and lacks the killer instinct.

I guess you were trying to be positive, in some sick twisted way...

FarWestChicago
06-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Typical Lip. :rolleyes:

Brian26
06-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Contreras just looked really shakey from the get-go. 2 walks, 2 wild pitches, and 3 hit batsmen are tough to overcome. I thought we might be able to climb back from the Ramirez slam, but Maddux looked good, and so did Navoa.

Just got back from the game and checking my scorebook. Lots of Cub fans at the Cell today. Did the patio party downstairs...the Bertucci's put on an unbelievable spread. Freddy and McCarthy were in the outfield during BP and threw a couple of balls up to people in the bleachers. The Messiah was signing autographs in the Cubs pen too.

It still amazes me how many people go to games and have no idea what's going on. The drunk Sox fan behind me was talking about Cotts coming in for a save situation (even though we were down by 4 runs at the time).

Brian26
06-25-2005, 09:30 PM
What a terrible problem to have. This team is obviously seriously flawed and lacks the killer instinct.

I think I see what he's trying to say. An eight-game winning streak is pretty uncommon...but to have three in the first half of the season is amazing and unusual. It's just weird that one of them wasn't a 7-game or a 9-game streak. To have three exactly 8-game streaks is just kind of weird.

gogosox35
06-25-2005, 09:33 PM
You have to keep in mind that the Yankees are picking up 2 million of Jose's salary, so were only responsible for 6.5 million. Obviously Buehrle and Garland are pitching way above what they are "worth" in terms of money, but Contreras' value on the free agent market given his numbers would be right in the neighborhood of 5-7 million.

Contreras .........4.15 Era......6.5 Million

Greg Maddux......4.76 Era......9.0 Million
Ben Sheets........3.68 Era......6.0 Million
Barry Zito.........4.41 Era.......5.6 Million
Joe Mays..........4.22 Era.......7.25 Million
Eric Milton.........7.20 Era.......5.33 Million
Al Leiter...........6.33 Era.......7.25 Million
Russ Ortiz........5.88 Era.......7.34 Million
Sidney Ponson..5.42 Era.......8.5 Million
Jamie Moyer.....4.36 Era.......8.0 Million
Mark Mulder.....4.75 Era.......6.5 Million
Kirk Rueter.......5.22 Era.......6.96 Million
Carl Pavano.....4.69 Era.......9.0 Million

Ok I realize I'd rather have a few of these guys on this list over Contreras, but when you compare his production to a lot of pitchers in the similar salary range, its awfully tough to complain.

Does it?

Freddy Garcia 8 million
Mark Buehrle 6 million
Jon Garland 3.4 million

Mark Buehrle
Jon Garland
Freddy Garcia
Orlando Hernandez
Jose Contreras

Joosh
06-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Just got back from the game and checking my scorebook. Lots of Cub fans at the Cell today. Did the patio party downstairs...the Bertucci's put on an unbelievable spread. Freddy and McCarthy were in the outfield during BP and threw a couple of balls up to people in the bleachers. The Messiah was signing autographs in the Cubs pen too.

It still amazes me how many people go to games and have no idea what's going on. The drunk Sox fan behind me was talking about Cotts coming in for a save situation (even though we were down by 4 runs at the time).

Prior was the nicest of any of the Cub players out there today. While all the other Cub Players in left field ignored all of those fans and would not throw a ball to them, Prior tossed some Balls up to a couple kids, and signed autographs for anyone, including Sox fans. He signed everything from Sox hats to Cubs Suck Shirts. He signed my Glove. I was surprised after all the crap I hear about this guy, he was such a nice guy.

There were a lot of Cub fans today. I saw a couple fights. The weirdest one though was when I was leaving Gate 5 and saw 2 Guys in Sox gear duking it out while one of their Girlfriends tried to stop them. I think she might have been hurt too. Anyone else see this?

RadioheadRocks
06-25-2005, 09:38 PM
he is worse than Danny Wright.......or Jon Rauch.........or Billy Koch?

Or Scott Ruffcorn? Or Pablo Torrealba? :D:

Cubbiesuck13
06-25-2005, 09:45 PM
This is a terrible, ignorant thread. Two out of three ain't bad...

Lets get them tomorrow.

Josh, If Ramirez was as big a jackass as ShaME* is when he hit his homerun then he deserves a plunk in the ribs. Right on buddy! Pitcher's have been standing up for themselves and their teammates forever. It isn't anything new and it helps the game when the players police it themselves. It isn't head hunting unless you throw at his head.

owensmouth
06-25-2005, 09:46 PM
The Sox are paying Contreras seven million dollars, the Yankees are still on the hook for 1.5 million, which is the annual portion of his signing bonus.

Contreras may have one of the lowest BAAs in the American League, but he is also second in the league in wild pitches.

Part of the reason that Contreras has so few victories is because he is a six inning pitcher. By the time he completes six innings he's thrown over 100 pitches. Garland/Buehrle/Garcia generally go seven or eight innings. The Sox this year have been very successful in scoring in the latter innings. Those guys have won games because they've lasted longer than six innings.

Contreras is basically a junk ball pitcher with a great fastball. His stuff is practically unhittable, but often it's because it's out of the strike zone.

Bottom line, we're generally still in the game when he leaves the game.

Cellview22
06-25-2005, 09:52 PM
Prior was the nicest of any of the Cub players out there today. While all the other Cub Players in left field ignored all of those fans and would not throw a ball to them, Prior tossed some Balls up to a couple kids, and signed autographs for anyone, including Sox fans. He signed everything from Sox hats to Cubs Suck Shirts. He signed my Glove. I was surprised after all the crap I hear about this guy, he was such a nice guy.

There were a lot of Cub fans today. I saw a couple fights. The weirdest one though was when I was leaving Gate 5 and saw 2 Guys in Sox gear duking it out while one of their Girlfriends tried to stop them. I think she might have been hurt too. Anyone else see this?

Would you say Sox fans outnumbered Cubs fans? And by how many, approximately? I hate hearing the roar of Cub fans; hope they have nothing to cheer about tomorrow!

White Sox Josh
06-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Anybody have a stat on how many times a member has "THIS THREAD SUCKS" 'ed his/her own thread?:kukoo:the reason i put that up there is because everybody is trashing Contreras and panicking. We lost. Big friggin deal.

Joosh
06-25-2005, 09:57 PM
There was no doubt that there were more Sox fans then Cub fans. But it was about 60-40. There were still a lot of Cub fans and a lot of Dumb ones too. Coming down the Ramps after the game, some girl was chanting, "Sox Suck, Cubs are way Better." I Reminded her that we are still 27 Games over .500 and they are 1 over. She shut up after that.

batmanZoSo
06-25-2005, 09:58 PM
Yeah, well... that's just like... uh... your opinion mån.

LMAO. That's why it's there. Take heed, people. We all have a-holes, some of us are a-holes, and we all have opinions. :redneck:bandance:

White Sox Josh
06-25-2005, 10:08 PM
:dumbpeople:

JB98
06-25-2005, 10:29 PM
Because we have a limited payroll. When we dumped C.Lee and Jagglio we didn't only get Pods and Luiz but more payroll flexibility to sign guys like Dye and AJ. JC is not worth 8.5 mil, period. The most frustrating thing about Jose is that the talent is their for him to be lights out, its just a mental block with this guy. If he wasn't such a head case he would be much more effective.

I'm not arguing that JC is worth 8.5 million. All I'm saying is, I don't care what he makes because he doesn't work for me, and I don't have to pay him. Honestly, I don't think JC's salary, or anybody else's salary, is going to prohibit KW from making a deal before the deadline. If there's a trade out there that makes sense, Uncle Jerry isn't going to veto it because of money, not this year. JC's salary isn't hurting the team as far as I can tell. Therefore, all this discussion is just mental masturbation.

SOXintheBURGH
06-25-2005, 11:18 PM
There was no doubt that there were more Sox fans then Cub fans. But it was about 60-40. There were still a lot of Cub fans and a lot of Dumb ones too. Coming down the Ramps after the game, some girl was chanting, "Sox Suck, Cubs are way Better." I Reminded her that we are still 27 Games over .500 and they are 1 over. She shut up after that.

Why does everyone love posting stories about when they totally tear up some stupid girl that doesn't follow baseball?

CubKilla
06-25-2005, 11:23 PM
Why does everyone love posting stories about when they totally tear up some stupid girl that doesn't follow baseball?

It's just not the "Stupid girl(s)" when it comes to Cub fans.....

Joosh
06-25-2005, 11:28 PM

I didn't, "Tear her up," I merely pointed out a fact. The fact that she may or may not have taken offense to my factoid of the day because she doesn't follow baseball is irrelevent. I wasn't mean to her, I just stated a fact. Had she said, "I don't follow baseball," I would've backed off. I can only assume ignorance when it comes to Cub fans.

MeanFish
06-25-2005, 11:29 PM
I think most of the people posting in this thread have seriously jumped the shark.

Just because we've got two guys pitching phenomenally is no reason to think that the whole staff is capable of pitching that way every game. Yeah, Contreras gave up four runs in the first inning. Nevermind the sequence of events that led to it...

-Once-in-a-blue-moon, perfectly executed bunt by Patterson. Clearly Contreras' fault.
-HBP on Perez on first pitch. Contreras' fault.
-Passed ball that AJ should have caught, runners advance
-Walk for Burnitz. Also Contreras' fault.
-First pitch grand slam by Ramirez on ball with a good amount of movement.

That's a hard luck sequence of events no matter how you look at it. That honestly could happen to ANYONE in the first inning of a ballgame. Don't villainize Contreras because he didn't throw another two-run, seven-inning outing. Boo-freaking-hoo.

I'm probably sounding a bit agitated, and that's certainly the case. Why is it necessary to "blame" every loss on someone? Why is it that if we lose one game suddenly everyone is on edge? When we're winning people act so faithful of this team, and yet when we lose one game out of ten people talk as if we're a house of cards ready to come tumbling down.

Unbelievable.

Brian26
06-25-2005, 11:30 PM
Going to games like this over the years....I've come to expect the general ignorance of Cubs fans. And there are a lot of really, really dumb Sox fans too. It seemed like 50% of the crowd today was only there to drink beer and socialize, which I don't have any problem with (don't get me wrong)...I just like to watch the game. Do people really need to get up from their seats every inning?

Joosh
06-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Going to games like this over the years....I've come to expect the general ignorance of Cubs fans. And there are a lot of really, really dumb Sox fans too. It seemed like 50% of the crowd today was only there to drink beer and socialize, which I don't have any problem with (don't get me wrong)...I just like to watch the game. Do people really need to get up from their seats every inning?

Well, I do prefer the Hotdogs from the Stands rather than the hotdogs from the vendors that come every blue moon. :smile:

I agree to a certain extent. Every inning is ridiculous. But every couple innings aint so bad. I like to enjoy the culinary experience that is the Cell.

whtsx1959
06-25-2005, 11:42 PM
Today was terrible. Sox humiliating loss. The most disappointing Cubs/sox game I've been to - the cubs fans were so boring, no one yelled at me - I had a good comeback too "congrats on being one over .500"

Sox shut down after Pods double in the fifth.

The Good: My seats were so high up I was in the shade and got a breeze, I'm just mad about the lame game.

Interesting sidenote: 1st time I've seen the Sox get back-to-back HRs since I saw Charlie O'Brien and someone do it in 97 or 98

Viva Medias B's
06-25-2005, 11:51 PM
The loss itself does not really bother me. Thanks to the Brew Crew, we're still 10½ up on Minnesota. The only thing about today's loss that really bothered me is the fact that it was to them.

RavenswoodFan
06-26-2005, 12:01 AM

Must have been the same Bimbo:smile: that screamed that in my face last month after the Flubs won against us at Wrigley:rolleyes:.

I think there were a lot more Cub fans there today than yesterday. Or maybe it just seemed that way because of the score.
Oh well you got lose to start another winning streak!

gr8mexico
06-26-2005, 12:29 AM
Today was a bad day for me first I was the DUBA$$ that dropped the DYE HR ball then the White Sox loose.I wont be able to sleep but ill be there on Sunday again and I will give it one more try and if you havent seen it MLB.com shows the highlight over and over

flo-B-flo
06-26-2005, 01:13 AM
They hit the granny so they win.:rolleyes:

The Cubans - to me - are shaky.

Maddux had great control of his "humidity ball" and had the Sox hitters off balance all day.

My dad used to call .500, the --b line. They are 1 game over the --b line.

Can Pryor - who I have great respect for - versus Garland be as good as advertised? We shall see.

When I was 11-12, every neighborhood had an organized baseball team. We would play each other every weekend and everyday in the summer. The street I lived on had a barrage of great baseball players. When we'd lose to a supposed inferior team we would say " gotta let em' win sometime or they won't come back". This is sorta how I feel today. It doesn't even matter what happens tomorrow because the Sox got bigger plans.

And nonetheless, **** the --b-.

GO-GO SOX!!

windycityson
06-26-2005, 02:03 AM
You guys are making this one loss sounds like the train is off the tracks. We have the best record in the league. I did not know the season would be over if we lost on Jun 24?! Get a grip...we're playing great. Not to metion the fact that I've never seen a team go 162-0. We're gonna lose some but we're gonna win a hell of a lot more.
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Chisox003
06-26-2005, 02:04 AM
You guys are making this one loss sounds like the train is off the tracks. We have the best record in the league. I did not know the season would be over if we lost on Jun 24?! Get a grip...we're playing great. Not to metion the fact that I've never seen a team go 162-0. We're gonna lose some but we're gonna win a hell of a lot more.
:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Im sorry, but post #230 has to be a call to the: :tealpolice:

StillMissOzzie
06-26-2005, 02:39 AM
A game of inches. If Crede's shot to left was a couple of inches higher, it's out of Hollandsworth's reach and the grand slam is erased, tied up at 4. Maddux seemed to catch his 2nd wind after that, or the Sox would have gotten into the sCrUB bullpen a lot sooner. Instead, Maddux, who had thrown 60-something pitches through the 1st 3 innings only need 6 to get through the 4th, and was never in danger after that.

Let's get 'em tomorrow, make it 2 out of 3 from both sides of town, and another series victory.

Edit: Not to mention my prediction of a 9-3 homestand!

SMO
:gulp:

ilsox7
06-26-2005, 03:08 AM
Today was a bad day for me first I was the DUBA$$ that dropped the DYE HR ball then the White Sox loose.I wont be able to sleep but ill be there on Sunday again and I will give it one more try and if you havent seen it MLB.com shows the highlight over and over

OK, pet peeve time. Time and time again I see it on WSI where people do not understand the difference between 'lose' and 'loose.' This one is an easy one people!

Foulke You
06-26-2005, 04:01 AM
For the first time in as long as I can remember, I'm not all that upset at a loss to the Cubs. It's just not the end of the world this season. Sure, it would have been nice but we were on a 9 game winning streak...we were bound to lose one sooner or later the way I look at it. Let's go out there and get them tomorrow. Dang, only 27 games over .500 now. :D:

downstairs
06-26-2005, 08:29 AM
This series is their World Series, so I did not expect a sweep.

When you're in first place, it sucks of lose to a .500 team, but 2-out-of-3 is not bad at all!

brewcrew/chisox
06-26-2005, 09:53 AM
Crede's homerun carries over the Left Field wall, it's a different ballgame, with the momentum on the side of the sox. Game of inches blah blah blah. Let's get em today and take the series.

Ol' No. 2
06-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Wow. I was expecting mass hysteria over this loss and avoided the PG thread, but it seems that the Sox Army is remarkably rational today. Just gotta tip your cap to Maddux and move on. Let's paste them today.

BTW, nice article on Mark B. in the Trib today.

jerry
06-26-2005, 10:10 AM
Even though Everett hit a homer yesterday, I believe we are a better team with Frank in the lineup. I was there on Friday and he hit the ball hard to right field twice in the game. He has his swing back and needs to play everyday. This is a big game for us today. Go Sox!:smile:

SOXSINCE'70
06-26-2005, 10:20 AM
We Suck!
:chickenlittle:fireozzie:JMstays
:gascan
:selljerry

I agree.The season is over.Twinkies got hit around and lost 7-6
last night,but we still suck.50-23?? Geez,the Sox should have 80
victories by now.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Blob
06-26-2005, 10:25 AM
LMAO. That's why it's there. Take heed, people. We all have a-holes, some of us are a-holes, and we all have opinions. :redneck:bandance:

I thought you would like how I stole that from your sig! :thumbsup:

ilsox7
06-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Even though Everett hit a homer yesterday, I believe we are a better team with Frank in the lineup. I was there on Friday and he hit the ball hard to right field twice in the game. He has his swing back and needs to play everyday. This is a big game for us today. Go Sox!:smile:

Actually, it's really not that big of a game for us. Worst case scenario is we lose a series and are 9.5 games up, which is right where we were Friday morning. Obviously we want to win and should win, but this is a much bigger game for them than us.

TimoandAaron
06-26-2005, 12:35 PM
this postgame thread officialy has 100 more posts than a winning postgame thread

Lip Man 1
06-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Timo:

Who cares.

Lip

FarWestChicago
06-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Timo:

Who cares.

LipYou may love your DarK Clouds Lip, but lot's of us don't. :rolleyes:

WhiteSox16K
06-26-2005, 01:27 PM
I have no time at the moment to read all of the posts in this thread, but I got the idea after about 7 pages of complete crap (to those who actually had an idea of what their talking about - I apologize - but you all know where I'm coming from). And I'm also not sure if any of this has been said yet (sorry again if it has), but I just have to get this off my mind because this thread is very ugly.

Teams lose sometimes, there is no chance that any team EVER will go 162-0, so I have no idea why people get so mad about 1 loss. GREAT TEAMS lose 62-or-so times in a year (1917 they lost 54, won 100). Yes, this loss was against the Cubs, but who cares. Everyone here wants the same result for this team in October. One loss on June 25 is not a big deal. Whoever got mad about this game and may still be mad, GET OVER IT. And if you want to argue, just try! For all of you who complain and cry about pitchers pitching poorly, hitters not hitting, or managers making poor decisions (after any loss), forget about it. These guys go out and work very hard because they want the SAME EXACT thing you want - remember that!