PDA

View Full Version : Why has Hendry gotten a pass from Chicago media on Clement?

Fenway
06-25-2005, 05:13 PM
Matt Clement is now 9-1 for Boston and the Cubbies let him walk away. If this had happened in New York, Boston or Philadelphia the columnists would be screaming about how the Cubs let him get away.

Given the DL track record of both Wood and Prior letting Clement go may have destroyed the Cubs season.

I really am amazed it is not brought up more. Clement may very well make it to the All Star Game.

DumpJerry
06-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Fenway, re-read the title of your post/thread. Notice the words "Hendry" and "Chicago media" in it? When was the last time the Chicago media criticized a player of anyone in management with the Flubs for poor play or decisions? The Flubs did not make the '03 WS because of Bartman, never mind he was not present for Game 7.

Fenway
06-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Fenway, re-read the title of your post/thread. Notice the words "Hendry" and "Chicago media" in it? When was the last time the Chicago media criticized a player of anyone in management with the Flubs for poor play or decisions? The Flubs did not make the '03 WS because of Bartman, never mind he was not present for Game 7.

The Tribune doesn't own the Sun-Times, Ch 7, 5 or 2, WSCR or WMVP....

Honestly what the Chicago media did to Steve Bartman was awful. I think THIS is the photo that did him in ( notice everybody else in this still is avoiding the ball ) but to then publish his work address and where he lived????

http://espn.starwave.com/media/mlb/2003/1014/photo/a_alou_il.jpg

and lest we forget the score was STILL 3-0 Cubs with one out in the eight.

So the Cubs have Nomar and Boston has Clement? Who's better off :smile:

TommyJohn
06-25-2005, 06:25 PM
The Tribune doesn't own the Sun-Times, Ch 7, 5 or 2, WSCR or WMVP....

Honestly what the Chicago media did to Steve Bartman was awful. I think THIS is the photo that did him in ( notice everybody else in this still is avoiding the ball ) but to then publish his work address and where he lived????

http://espn.starwave.com/media/mlb/2003/1014/photo/a_alou_il.jpg

and lest we forget the score was STILL 3-0 Cubs with one out in the eight.

So the Cubs have Nomar and Boston has Clement? Who's better off :smile:

Puh-leeze, fenway. I literally go into a froth whenever I see or hear anything
about that game. Not because of the play, but because of the heinous way
he was treated afterward and STILL continues to be treated. I believe that
both Telander and Couch have chimed in to the effect of [paraphrase]
"nothing has gone right for the Cubs since the Bartman play." Those bleeps
are beyond disgusting.

Rocklive99
06-25-2005, 06:36 PM
Instead, they get praise about one good Glendon Rusch start against an average NL team

If the Sox wouldn't be on this pace, we'd only be hearing about Lee right now, some media members still bring it up, possibly forgetting how important Pods has been to this season. We've heard about Kip Wells, and I've even heard stuff about Aaron Miles.

There's no doubt they get a free pass, I don't know how many explicit photos or other methods of blackmail they have, because they have done nothing to earn it.

Banix12
06-25-2005, 07:45 PM
For years the cubs have been notorious cheapskates when it comes to signing pitching, so I think it's partly that the media is used to it. But simply the cubs were not going to pay $10 million dollars a year for a guy that would be their 4th starter. Especially when they probably have that money earmarked to sign Zambrano and Prior when they reach Free Agency and they already have Maddux and Rusch to fill out the rotation.

Fenway
06-25-2005, 08:02 PM
For years the cubs have been notorious cheapskates when it comes to signing pitching, so I think it's partly that the media is used to it. But simply the cubs were not going to pay $10 million dollars a year for a guy that would be their 4th starter. Especially when they probably have that money earmarked to sign Zambrano and Prior when they reach Free Agency and they already have Maddux and Rusch to fill out the rotation.

Well..Theo signed Clement after he lost Pavano to NYY :tongue: to replace Lowe. Who knew he would wind up replacing Schilling!!!! :D:

Thank You Cubs!!!

SOXintheBURGH
06-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Well..Theo signed Clement after he lost Pavano to NYY :tongue: to replace Lowe. Who knew he would wind up replacing Schilling!!!! :D:

Thank You Cubs!!!

Isn't he currently something outstanding like 6-0 at home this year too? I actually was hoping the Sox would sign him before the Duque sign.. but I was and am still pleased with him.

Chisox003
06-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Puh-leeze, fenway. I literally go into a froth whenever I see or hear anything
about that game. Not because of the play, but because of the heinous way
he was treated afterward and STILL continues to be treated. I believe that
both Telander and Couch have chimed in to the effect of [paraphrase]
"nothing has gone right for the Cubs since the Bartman play." Those bleeps
are beyond disgusting.

After that game, they had his HOUSE on fox news, along with his address and every detail of that poor guy's private life

It was seriously disgusting what they did to him

Fenway
06-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Isn't he currently something outstanding like 6-0 at home this year too? I actually was hoping the Sox would sign him before the Duque sign.. but I was and am still pleased with him.

Theo knew him when they were both with the Padres. It has worked very well so far.

Best thing to happen to the Red Sox in 2005 was being spanked by the Cubs 2 weeks ago. That woke them up. They have a chance now to run away with the East.

Hitmen77
06-25-2005, 09:11 PM
Matt Clement is now 9-1 for Boston and the Cubbies let him walk away. If this had happened in New York, Boston or Philadelphia the columnists would be screaming about how the Cubs let him get away.

Given the DL track record of both Wood and Prior letting Clement go may have destroyed the Cubs season.

I really am amazed it is not brought up more. Clement may very well make it to the All Star Game.

....and don't forget that the guy the Cubs traded to GET Clement in the first place isn't doing too bad either. I don't hear much criticism of the Cubs giving up Dontrelle Willis.

batmanZoSo
06-25-2005, 10:25 PM

With Clement, we'd be just incredibly tough to beat. I wanted him too, believe me.

White Sox Josh
06-25-2005, 10:30 PM
With Clement, we'd be just incredibly tough to beat. I wanted him too, believe me.My offseason Pitchers list for Kenny to Acquire was this:
1. Randy Johnson
2. Carl Pavano
3. Matt Clement
4. Javier Vazquez
5. El Duque(if none of those worked out)

I wanted Clement here badly once there was no shot at the 1st 2 pitchers.

Vsahajpal
06-26-2005, 12:33 AM

He was even better last year at this time, then it all fell apart.

DrCrawdad
06-26-2005, 12:58 AM

Certain people are ok to criticize, Sammy Sosa, for example, once the Cubbies turned their backs on him. Others are sacrosanct, such as Jim Hendry. Criticize Hendry in the presence of Cubbie fans and you'll quickly be read the riot act.

Why has Hendy gotten a free pass from the local media? God, there are so many questions like that regarding the Cubbies.

Why is it ok for Cubbie fans and their media to smear Sox fans with stereotypes? IE, Rick Telander recently extensively quoting The Heckler with their ugly characterizations of Sox fans?

Soxzilla
06-26-2005, 01:09 AM
Funny that Garland, Willis and Clement will more than likely all be pitching in the All-Star game this year.

And what do the Cubs have to show for losing all three of those talented pitchers?:cool:

chaerulez
06-26-2005, 08:38 AM
My offseason Pitchers list for Kenny to Acquire was this:
1. Randy Johnson
2. Carl Pavano
3. Matt Clement
4. Javier Vazquez
5. El Duque(if none of those worked out)

I wanted Clement here badly once there was no shot at the 1st 2 pitchers.

I'm glad we didn't get that crying little girl Randy Johnson. Who whines about wanting to be traded, but demands its to the Yankees? I hope he injures himself this year and his career ends.

Having Clement on the team would've been great though.

doublem23
06-26-2005, 09:30 AM
To be fair, Jim Hendry is pretty much the sole reason the Cubs are even afloat at all... Did Hendry sign Baker or did he have to inherit him? The moves that Jim has made in the last few years have all really been outstanding; Lee, Ramirez, Garciaparra; they just have a moron managing the team.

bigfoot
06-26-2005, 11:21 AM
The incessant whining of Little Bear fans, especially this season, about the limping/lame-arm players that Hendry/DustyToothPicks has to endure, is quite typical of the history of the Blue Ursine.

The number of players on the DL, this year, should come as no surprise. Given the history of Nomar/Walker/ARam/Carrie/Messiah/et al., the DL list has been very predictable. Hendry should have his feet held to the fire by the fans of the Blue Plague, but we should applaud his insight! He could have traded Soso away for more than a bag of balls.

DrCrawdad
06-26-2005, 11:34 AM
To be fair, Jim Hendry is pretty much the sole reason the Cubs are even afloat at all... Did Hendry sign Baker or did he have to inherit him? The moves that Jim has made in the last few years have all really been outstanding; Lee, Ramirez, Garciaparra; they just have a moron managing the team.

For all the talk about how great Hendry is as GM remember that he's been given more financial freedom that any recent Cub GM. Plus Hendry's brought in his share of slugs - Alfonseca, Troy O'Leary, Lenny Harris, Jose Hernandez, Josh Paul, Shawn Estes, Mark Guthrie, Felix Sanchez, Dave Veres, Fred McGriff, Todd Hundley, Darren Lewis, Chad Hermansen, Donovan Osbourne, Jesus Sanchez.

JRIG
06-26-2005, 12:11 PM
For all the talk about how great Hendry is as GM remember that he's been given more financial freedom that any recent Cub GM. Plus Hendry's brought in his share of slugs - Alfonseca, Troy O'Leary, Lenny Harris, Jose Hernandez, Josh Paul, Shawn Estes, Mark Guthrie, Felix Sanchez, Dave Veres, Fred McGriff, Todd Hundley, Darren Lewis, Chad Hermansen, Donovan Osbourne, Jesus Sanchez.

Neifi Perez, Rey Ordonez, Enrique Wilson, Jose Macias, Paul Bako, Tom Goodwin, Damian Jackson, Ramon Martinez, Doug Glanville, Tony Womack, Delino DeShields (I believe)

Plus Remlinger has been pretty crappy for all the money they are shoveling his way.