PDA

View Full Version : who do YOU want KW to trade for?

rowand33
06-25-2005, 03:01 PM
Who would be the top three guys you want KW to trade for and why?

I mean serious trades here. Not a deep pink Pujols. Not even Clemens. Guys we could get. And the list can have more than 1 guy that would serve the same role. i.e. if your #2 is a starting pitcher, your #3 can be too. The list doesn't mean you want to see all three guys on the team. It's more like if you could trade for one guy, who would your top three choices be.

Mine:

1) Miguel Batista Closer for the Toronto Blue Jays.
3-0 with a 2.59 ERA and 13/14 in save attempts. Batista is a good guy and interesting character that could help the team with his skills and the clubhouse with his attitude.
He's also a good starting pitcher, going 28-31 with a 4.21 ERA and 358 Ks in 576.2 IP over a 3 year span with the Dbacks and Jays from 02-04. his standout year during that span was in 03 when he went 10-9 with a 3.54 ERA in 193.1 innings for the Dbacks.

2) Mark Redman SP for the Pittsburg Pirates
A proven solid pitcher who's having a great year (4-5 with a 3.14 ERA in 100.1 IP and 15 starts) for the awful Pirates. 52-56 with a 4.24 ERA lifetime. Redman had an awesome year for the Sox-similar 2003 World Champion Florida Marlins going 14-9 with a 3.59 ERA.

3) Doug Davis SP for the Milwaukee Brewers
Davis is a hell of a pitcher that gets no publicity whatsoever. 9-6 with a 4.44 ERA, Davis leads the Brewers in wins. Last year, he was 12-12 with a 3.39 ERA and had 166 Ks in 207.1 IP. Career 49-47 with a 4.36 ERA. On pace for 20 wins on a sub-.500 Brewers team.

Soxzilla
06-25-2005, 03:22 PM
I hate him...but I'd love Roger Clemens.

The Racehorse
06-25-2005, 04:51 PM
I hate him...but I'd love Roger Clemens.

I'd luv Oswalt even more.

mdep524
06-25-2005, 05:49 PM
3) Doug Davis SP for the Milwaukee Brewers
Davis is a hell of a pitcher that gets no publicity whatsoever. 9-6 with a 4.44 ERA, Davis leads the Brewers in wins. Last year, he was 12-12 with a 3.39 ERA and had 166 Ks in 207.1 IP. Career 49-47 with a 4.36 ERA. On pace for 20 wins on a sub-.500 Brewers team. Davis is an impossibility. I can't see why the Brewers would trade him under any circumstance, though I agree with you that he is underrated.

If I'm picking three guys, who have had their names mentioned in trade talks, I'll go with

1.) Brad Lidge
2.) Roy Oswalt
3.) Eddie Guardado

I don't see the Astros unloading Lidge or Oswalt, despite the rumors that say otherwise.

Jurr
06-25-2005, 05:54 PM
I think getting Mark Redman would be the absolute best thing they could do, but I think the Pirates would ask a TON for the guy. He's an awesome pitcher, and he'd definitely make our starting rotation lights out day in and day out.

White Sox Josh
06-25-2005, 05:54 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/WhiteSoxJosh/ph_120922.png
Me of course.

batmanZoSo
06-25-2005, 06:04 PM
I do not like Contreras and El Duque one bit right now. They both might be just too old and too crappy/injury prone. I'd like an Oswalt, but I don't know how we make room for another starter. I would trade Jose and eat half his salary.

socko82
06-25-2005, 06:05 PM
1. Eddie Guardado
2. Shea Hillenbrand
3. Ted Lilly

White Sox Josh
06-25-2005, 06:17 PM
I do not like Contreras and El Duque one bit right now. They both might be just too old and too crappy/injury prone. I'd like an Oswalt, but I don't know how we make room for another starter. I would trade Jose and eat half his salary.:tealpolice:

DVsoxfan
06-25-2005, 06:26 PM
I dont get why everyone keeps suggesting guardado. Hes pitching with a torn rotator cuff for craps sake

socko82
06-25-2005, 06:30 PM
I dont get why everyone keeps suggesting guardado. Hes pitching with a torn rotator cuff for craps sake

He's 19 for 20 in save opps with a 1.38 ERA. We don't need him for 3 years just 3 monthes.

Ozuna38
06-25-2005, 07:22 PM
I'd like to see Brad Lidge or Roy Oswalt. Lidge is a proven solid arm in the pen and adding Oswalt would be huge if El Duque can't get healthy and if BMac isn't quite ready.

rowand33
06-25-2005, 07:27 PM
With Davis, I'd be hoping for a situation where the Brewers would try to gobble up young talented players, like they did with the Sexson trade. I dunno what we'd have to give up to get him.

I'm gonna cross my fingers and pray we luck out and get some sort of super hole fixing trade like the Cubs-Pirates trade in 03. The pirates send over Machowiak, Redman, and Torres or the Blue Jays send over Lilly, Batista, and Hillenbrand :smile: . (I'm sure that needs to be in some sort of color.)

Chisox003
06-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Hes not going anywhere, but Oswalt

That would just be ridiculous

rowand33
06-25-2005, 07:52 PM
to add another one, what about Zito?

ilsox7
06-25-2005, 07:54 PM
to add another one, what about Zito?

His last 300 innings have been horrid.

rowand33
06-25-2005, 08:00 PM
His last 300 innings have been horrid.

y'know, my buddy brought Zito up to me, and I said pretty much the same thing to him, but I was wrong.

terrible April, but 3.45 ERA in May with a .218 BAA, 3.45 ERA with a .204 BAA. .230 BAA on the season.

I think he's turned it around, and like my buddy said "the upside is HUGE. He's Barry Zito!"

FarWestChicago
06-25-2005, 08:07 PM
He's Barry Zito!"That's Barry Zito :smokin:. Be careful wishing for players who like their bong more than their sport.

beckett21
06-25-2005, 08:22 PM
That's Barry Zito :smokin:. Be careful wishing for players who like their bong more than their sport.

Every time I see this guy: :smokin:

I automatically think of Barry Zito!

:redneck

Brian26
06-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Clemens will never leave his home to pitch here. Guardado is too risky. I love the idea of Oswalt.

SABRSox
06-25-2005, 09:52 PM
According to CBS Sportsline's RumorMill (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR) they say the Jason Schmidt is on the block. The BoSox are the leading candidate to land, but they claim both the angels and the White Sox have shown interest.

Man would that be sweet... Jason Schmidt...

batmanZoSo
06-25-2005, 10:09 PM
According to CBS Sportsline's RumorMill (http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR) they say the Jason Schmidt is on the block. The BoSox are the leading candidate to land, but they claim both the angels and the White Sox have shown interest.

Yeah, the good Kerry Wood.

SOXintheBURGH
06-25-2005, 10:10 PM

For Borchard and Harris?

Schmidt would rule all.. We would be indestructable.

SABRSox
06-25-2005, 10:18 PM
For Borchard and Harris?

Schmidt would rule all.. We would be indestructable.

We'd need to add another player of at least 35 years of age for Sabean to bite, though...

Switch out Harris with Ricky Gutierrez...

dcb33
06-25-2005, 11:11 PM
I woulnd't mind an upgrade at SS... say Omar Vizquel?

DaleJRFan
06-26-2005, 12:36 AM
I would trade Jose and eat half his salary.

No trade clause, that he waived to come play for Ozzie. Contreras isn't going anywhere, like it or not.

munchman33
06-26-2005, 12:42 AM
If Schmidt came here, we'd be unstoppable in the playoffs. Buehrle, Schmidt, Garcia, and Garland...What a playoff rotation that would be!

Chisox003
06-26-2005, 12:59 AM
I woulnd't mind an upgrade at SS... say Omar Vizquel?

Umm gigantic contract, giants would want too much, and Uribe's fine, especially defensively

The trade needs to bring in a difference maker, (ie Roy Oswalt/Eric Chavez) and vizquel just isnt that

Pass

DaleJRFan
06-26-2005, 01:23 AM
...another bullpen arm and a left-handed bench bat (whose name isn't Willie Harris or Timo Perez). I foresee KW calling up Baj and Brian Anderson when rosters expand, so I think he can fill a few holes within the organization...

I find it hard to believe that these dudes would be available, but I'd like to see KW go out and get:
Duaner Sanchez (LAD)
Marcos Carvajal (COL)

..both are young and make league minimum and could end up being around for a while.

Lip Man 1
06-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Contreras and Hernandez have been inconsistent. They should try to pick up another starter, he doesn't have to be a superstar, just someone who can take the ball every 5th day and give the Sox a chance to win the game.

Lip

nedlug
06-26-2005, 01:32 PM
If we started a short series (that is to say, playoff series), I can't imagine our rotation would look anything different than this:

1. Buehrle
2. Garland
3. Garcia
4. El Duque

Contreras in the bullpen.

That's of course assuming no injuries and Kenny not changing our roster with a deadline deal.

I hope that answers your question.

Who are the SPs we are/could be looking at? I saw Jason Jennings from Colorado... I heard Zito, but I doubt that will happen. With KW, you never can tell though...

sthbndsox
06-26-2005, 04:02 PM
I'll take about any proven starter right now. I don't like either el Duque or Contreras out there right now. But with one more solid starter we could move contreras to the 5-slot for the rest of the season and move el duque to the pen, or send him down. Then, when the playoffs come, we could go with the 4-man rotation with Contreras in the pen. I have my hopes up about Schmidt now, but I'll take any proven solid starter.

mdep524
06-26-2005, 07:37 PM
For a team with a 10-game lead in the division already, El Duque and Contreras will be fine going every 5th day. It's not like we have to make up ground to get into the playoffs, like the past few seasons.

So unless it's a difference-maker type guy for the playoffs: Clemens, Oswalt, or Schmidt, I really don't think a mediocre starting pitching acquisition would really benefit this team.

beckett21
06-26-2005, 07:54 PM
For a team with a 10-game lead in the division already, El Duque and Contreras will be fine going every 5th day. It's not like we have to make up ground to get into the playoffs, like the past few seasons.

So unless it's a difference-maker type guy for the playoffs: Clemens, Oswalt, or Schmidt, I really don't think a mediocre starting pitching acquisition would really benefit this team.

I think it is a big assumption to rely on Hernandez every 5th day. I really don't want to have to rely on McCarthy for anything.

Of the SP available realistically I would say: 1)Schmidt; 2) Redman; 3) Lilly

If Oswalt is available, great. Clemens wouldn't come here in a million years; just my gut feeling. Schmidt is a longshot, but would by far be the best option.

I don't have a good read on who is available for bullpen help, but Guardado scares me because he is pitching through an injury. Lidge or Wagner would be great if available, but I don't see getting Lidge at a reasonable price and I doubt that the Phillies will be sellers this year.

wsbaseball9
06-27-2005, 03:18 PM
Davis is an impossibility. I can't see why the Brewers would trade him under any circumstance, though I agree with you that he is underrated.

If I'm picking three guys, who have had their names mentioned in trade talks, I'll go with

1.) Brad Lidge
2.) Roy Oswalt
3.) Eddie Guardado

I don't see the Astros unloading Lidge or Oswalt, despite the rumors that say otherwise.

agreed

wsbaseball9
06-27-2005, 03:23 PM
i really doubt billy beane would give the last 1/3 of the 'big three'...i bet zito and chavez are with that organization until retirement

CYGarland20
06-27-2005, 03:25 PM
1.Oswalt(Don't think he's available though),2. Burnett, 3. Schmidt(if he's healthy) 4. Zito 5. Lidge :cool:

wood28
06-27-2005, 03:29 PM
Roberto Alomar

bobj4400
06-27-2005, 03:46 PM
1) Brad Lidge - solidifies and already strong bullpen.

2) Omar Vizquel - I have seen enough of the Juan Uribe experience.

Flight #24
06-27-2005, 03:59 PM
I think it is a big assumption to rely on Hernandez every 5th day. I really don't want to have to rely on McCarthy for anything.

If Oswalt is available, great. Clemens wouldn't come here in a million years; just my gut feeling. Schmidt is a longshot, but would by far be the best option.

I don't have a good read on who is available for bullpen help, but Guardado scares me because he is pitching through an injury. Lidge or Wagner would be great if available, but I don't see getting Lidge at a reasonable price and I doubt that the Phillies will be sellers this year.

Guardado scares you because of injury, but Jason Schmidt and his missing 8MPH is the "best option"? :?:

I'd love a healthy Jason Schmidt. However, that's just this side of Hangar loving a "healthy Magglio" - i.e. it seems like it's an oxymoron. Schmidt routinely spends time on the DL and while he hasn't done it this year, he's pitching poorly (for him) and with reduced velocity. Sounds like El Duque #2 to me. I'd rather spend less, get someone without the sheer upside but who we know will be solid, and then bring back Duque after a nice long layoff down the stretch and/or in the playoffs. To get him ready, you could just spot start him in September. Redman's my guy, or Lilly - whoever's cheaper in trade.

EDIT: OK, apparently he's been back up around 95MPH lately. If so, then he'd be my top choice. He's got a $10.75MM team option for next year, so if KW's got a firm commitment from JR for a payroll bump that would enable us to take on that salary and keep everyone else on the team at roughly their same payroll level, I'd OK dealing one top prospect for Schmidt.

And by keeping everyone at the same salary, I mean having about 9mil to spend at 1B (whether that's Konerko or not), Carl's 5mil, Shingo's 2.5. Not saying that we should keep everyone that's currently here - that would depend on who else is available in the offseason.

Flight #24
06-27-2005, 06:03 PM
FWIW - I looked at the actual #s (per MLB4U.com) and I can't see a way to take on Schmidt without either a)upping payroll for '06 to around $90mil or b)letting him walk after '05.

Basically, you have about $55 under contract for 2005 with numerous holes. If you make some basic assumptions on the 2 arb guys (Garland, AJ) & an extension for Frank (7Mper) you're already up to about 70+ without a 1B (replacing Paulie), RP (replacing Shingo) or bench (replacing Ozuna, Widger, Everett).

The point is that adding in Schmidt's team option at $10.75 puts you over 80 with holes left to fill(1B, bench). I'd anticipate a pretty solid payroll bump, but from $72 to 90 is a lot. That may put Schmidt out of the picture or absent a WS appearance it may make for further offensive cuts to be able to afford him.

Buehrle-Schmidt-Garcia-Garland is a studly 1-4, but it's also one that'll cost about $35mil in 2006.

Chisox003
06-27-2005, 06:14 PM
FWIW - I looked at the actual #s (per MLB4U.com) and I can't see a way to take on Schmidt without either a)upping payroll for '06 to around $90mil or b)letting him walk after '05.

Basically, you have about $55 under contract for 2005 with numerous holes. If you make some basic assumptions on the 2 arb guys (Garland, AJ) & an extension for Frank (7Mper) you're already up to about 70+ without a 1B (replacing Paulie), RP (replacing Shingo) or bench (replacing Ozuna, Widger, Everett).

The point is that adding in Schmidt's team option at $10.75 puts you over 80 with holes left to fill(1B, bench). I'd anticipate a pretty solid payroll bump, but from $72 to 90 is a lot. That may put Schmidt out of the picture or absent a WS appearance it may make for further offensive cuts to be able to afford him.

Buehrle-Schmidt-Garcia-Garland is a studly 1-4, but it's also one that'll cost about $35mil in 2006.

There's the pipedream of getting Schmidt, then there's the reality

I expect a payroll increase, but not that big...It's tough to swallow, but maybe, just maybe, KW knows something we dont and he can still work out a deal for a top of the line starter like Schmidt...

I just think to keep El Duque fresh in the pen and not rushing him back, while adding a top notch pitcher, pushing Contreras back to #5 is the deal that puts this team over the top...

That said, I have no problems with keeping Uribe, Crede, or any other position players where they are...I dont believe Vizquel (and his contract) or Randa are players that will make this THE team to beat...Schmidt will

mdep524
06-27-2005, 06:25 PM

I don't have a good read on who is available for bullpen help, but Guardado scares me because he is pitching through an injury. Lidge or Wagner would be great if available, but I don't see getting Lidge at a reasonable price and I doubt that the Phillies will be sellers this year. Not that I'm advocating it, but I bet Clemens would consider coming here under the right situation. The Sox have the best record in baseball, thus a very legit Series shot. I compare it to Randy Johnson's interest in the Cardinals last year. Also, wasn't he moderately interested in coming here as a FA back in the winter Schu went for Navarro?

Still, I don't think a Clemens deal is in the works for the Sox- he's wildly too expensive for one thing. Oswalt would be really inexpensive salary-wise, and worth a top prospect package, if he is indeed on the block. If Schmidt is healthy, he would be a big time difference maker on this team.

beckett21
06-27-2005, 06:57 PM
Guardado scares you because of injury, but Jason Schmidt and his missing 8MPH is the "best option"? :?:

I'd love a healthy Jason Schmidt. However, that's just this side of Hangar loving a "healthy Magglio" - i.e. it seems like it's an oxymoron. Schmidt routinely spends time on the DL and while he hasn't done it this year, he's pitching poorly (for him) and with reduced velocity. Sounds like El Duque #2 to me. I'd rather spend less, get someone without the sheer upside but who we know will be solid, and then bring back Duque after a nice long layoff down the stretch and/or in the playoffs. To get him ready, you could just spot start him in September. Redman's my guy, or Lilly - whoever's cheaper in trade.

EDIT: OK, apparently he's been back up around 95MPH lately. If so, then he'd be my top choice. He's got a $10.75MM team option for next year, so if KW's got a firm commitment from JR for a payroll bump that would enable us to take on that salary and keep everyone else on the team at roughly their same payroll level, I'd OK dealing one top prospect for Schmidt.

This is a bit exaggerated. In each of the last 3 years he has averaged 30 starts and 200 IP, with over 200 K and an ERA of roughly 3.

The guy is an ace pitching on a dog of a team. Granted it was only one outing, but his last outing was dominant. If the Sox can afford him, it will help twofold: help the Sox chances, and keep him from going to another contender. I'd sure hate to see Boston, Minny or NY land him.

I would love Burnett, but I actually think that all things being equal Schmidt would be the better move for the Sox, especially if they exercise his option. I don't know how realistic it is, but hey it's not my money. :redneck