PDA

View Full Version : Pods: More Stolen Bases than 15 MLB Teams

So.ILSoxFan
06-25-2005, 03:50 PM
Before the season started, many questioned weather Scott Podsednik would contribute to the offense...

Boston Red Sox - 15 SB
Oakland Athletics - 17 SB
Washington Nationals - 19 SB
Pittsburgh Pirates - 23 SB
Texas Rangers - 24 SB
Kansas City Royals - 25 SB
Arizona Diamondbacks - 25 SB
Los Angeles Dodgers - 27 SB
Florida Marlins - 29 SB
Colorado Rockies - 30 SB
San Francisco Giants - 31 SB
Cincinnati Reds - 32 SB
Cleveland Indians - 33 SB
Toronto Blue Jays - 34 SB
St. Louis Cardinals - 37 SB
Scott Podsednik - 38 SB

Any Questions?:bandance:

Go Go Everetts
06-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Before the season started, many questioned weather Scott Podsednik would contribute to the offense...

Boston Red Sox - 15 SB
Texas Rangers - 24 SB
Florida Marlins - 29 SB
Colorado Rockies - 30 SB
Cincinnati Reds - 32 SB
Scott Podsednik - 38 SB

I've got a question. Why isn't this guy an allstar?

SoxFan76
06-25-2005, 08:28 PM

Because Sox fans are a bunch of crazy hoodlums who would rather jump on the field and beat 1st base coaches than cheer on their team. The fans have a severe inferiority complex regarding the team 8 miles north. The fans don't show up.

Is the teal necessary? I hope not, but basically he won't be an All-Star because he plays for the Sox. The Sox aren't the "cool" team to like.

SOXintheBURGH
06-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Starting to love Kenny Williams more and more every day.

DaleJRFan
06-26-2005, 01:22 AM

He is a grinder. Grinders don't make the all-star team. Rowand, AJ, Pods... all grinders who will probably not be recognized outside of Chicago for their part in their team's success.

The Wall
06-26-2005, 03:33 AM
He is a grinder. Grinders don't make the all-star team. Rowand, AJ, Pods... all grinders who will probably not be recognized outside of Chicago for their part in their team's success.

Heck...it'd be surprising to even themselves if they are recognized by non-sox fans in this very town!:?:

Nellie_Fox
06-26-2005, 03:45 AM
Baseball has been so caught up in the "chicks dig the long ball" mentality that I'm not sure we'll ever get back to appreciating the game the way it was intended to be played.

Japanese ball is far closer to the game I came to love as a kid. I can't tell you how much I enjoy watching Iguchi do whatever is needed when he comes up to bat, with no thought to his personal stats. Take a couple of pitches (putting himself in the hole) to let Podsednik get a chance to steal, hit behind the runner on a hit and run, hit a sac fly, whatever.

Yeah, I still drop everything to watch Big Frank when he comes up to bat, I just hate baseball where everyone is swinging from the heels.

chaerulez
06-26-2005, 08:33 AM
A player like Pods needs to hit around the .320 mark to even get consideration for the AS game because of the lack of power. It's how the game is these days, back in the day Tim Raines and Ozzie Smith would make AS teams, not just whoever could launch the most homers.

doublem23
06-26-2005, 09:24 AM
Yeah, I still drop everything to watch Big Frank when he comes up to bat, I just hate baseball where everyone is swinging from the heels.

:uribe:
Where's the love, Nelly?

It's got to be something they're teaching in Colorado. Didn't Ronnie Belliard come up with the Rockies? That guy viciously swings at everything, too.

kevingrt
06-26-2005, 10:27 AM
All I have to say is when Pods gets on base good things happen. Well, unless he gets picked off which has happened a couple times of late.

Tragg
06-26-2005, 10:39 AM
As long as he can keep that OBP above .360, he will be one of the better lead-off hitters in baseball. He's the best we've since Raines, except for Durham whom few seemed to appreciate. Just for comparison, Roberts is at .433, Johnny Damon is around a .400 OBP and INge around .380. So there are some really good ones. Pods has a lot more steals, the real effect of which i people have varying opinions.

Tim Raines had a career OBP of .385 and 170 career homers.
He was an all star for 7 years, and except for one year, the lowest OBP during an all star season was .393

With the Sox in 1993, he had an OBP of .401, with 16 homers and a low 21 steals.

illinibk
06-26-2005, 11:01 AM
It's got to be something they're teaching in Colorado. Didn't Ronnie Belliard come up with the Rockies? That guy viciously swings at everything, too.
Actually, he came up with Milwaukee. Played with Jose Hernadez, Geoff Jenkins, and Richie Sexton. That should explain the swinging from the heels thing.

Iguana775
06-26-2005, 11:05 AM

It's all about the HR.

illinibk
06-26-2005, 11:16 AM

Boston Red Sox - 15 SB
Texas Rangers - 24 SB
Florida Marlins - 29 SB
Colorado Rockies - 30 SB
Cincinnati Reds - 32 SB
Scott Podsednik - 38 SB

<FOBB>But speed doesn't win games.</FOBB>

JesGolbez
06-26-2005, 11:16 AM

Probably because he has no power and he's playing a power position

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/vorp_player_by_pos2005.php

Pods ranks 9th in VORP for AL LF's, behind even Shannon Stewart and Coco Crisp. If Pods was still in CF, he'd probably be there, but his OPS is incredibly low due to a lack of power.

That said, he's doing his job and getting on base and stealing basis. I'd rather have Podsednik getting on base at a .370+ clip with no power than having a .310-.320OBB with more power. Pods value is in his ability to get on, get over, and get in.

The Wall
06-26-2005, 11:41 AM
I dont like the nick name Pods. Its too close to that yuppie gadget that everyone flaunts around...splly on the northside. Another sign of idiocy is that specific gadget.

We should just call him Scottie-Go

JRIG
06-26-2005, 12:12 PM
A player like Pods needs to hit around the .320 mark to even get consideration for the AS game because of the lack of power. It's how the game is these days, back in the day Tim Raines and Ozzie Smith would make AS teams, not just whoever could launch the most homers.

Indeed. We know how valuable he's been this season, but he's not hitting .300 and not hitting for any power so he has virtually no shot at being selected.

JRIG
06-26-2005, 12:15 PM
<FOBB>But speed doesn't win games.</FOBB>

Well, let's see. The Red Sox are in first place, the Nationals are in first place, and the Rangers are close in the AL West.

Can we at least concede that you can win ballgames without stealing bases?

soxfanreggie
06-26-2005, 12:33 PM
You need someone like Scott to help create run-scoring opportunities by himself. I don't know why teams walk him on 4 pitches because chances are pitching to him will hurt them less. Unfortunately, all he has done...the games he's won for us don't match up in the fans eyes as hitting a ball far.

FarWestChicago
06-26-2005, 12:45 PM
Well, let's see. The Red Sox are in first place, the Nationals are in first place, and the Rangers are close in the AL West.

Can we at least concede that you can win ballgames without stealing bases?That's completely irrelevant. Nobody, and I mean nobody, ever said you can't win without stealing bases. It's the FOBB's who said you can't win if you do steal bases. And I'm sure there are plenty of FOBB's hoping for the Sox to collapse to "prove" this point.

nedlug
06-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Baseball has been so caught up in the "chicks dig the long ball" mentality that I'm not sure we'll ever get back to appreciating the game the way it was intended to be played.

The teams who are consistently successful are the teams that play the game the correct way... eventually everyone will come back around.

Also, Scotty does more with his presence on the bases than his base stealing IMO. (although the SBs help, too)
What in the hell is VORP?

wsbaseball9
06-26-2005, 01:39 PM
:threadrules: just bought my scotty jersey

Jerome
06-26-2005, 01:48 PM

Can we at least concede that you can win ballgames without stealing bases?

Lack of speed doesn't lose games either apparently. I gotta say though, from a fan's standpoint, Podsednik sure is fun to watch. It's an adventure every time he's on base, and i don't think we can really measure the way he affects the opposing pitcher when he's on base.

Jerome
06-26-2005, 01:50 PM
I dont like the nick name Pods. Its too close to that yuppie gadget that everyone flaunts around...splly on the northside. Another sign of idiocy is that specific gadget.

We should just call him Scottie-Go

I have a mac, what other MP3 player am i supposed to get?!?!?!?!?!?! :D:

JRIG
06-26-2005, 01:58 PM
Lack of speed doesn't lose games either apparently. I gotta say though, from a fan's standpoint, Podsednik sure is fun to watch. It's an adventure every time he's on base, and i don't think we can really measure the way he affects the opposing pitcher when he's on base.

Yes, there are a lot of ways to win baseball games.

And yes, Podsednik is fun to watch.

FarWestChicago
06-26-2005, 02:19 PM
Yes, there are a lot of ways to win baseball games.This is true. :D:

So.ILSoxFan
06-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Here's a question I've been pondering:

Do you think a player like Scottie could ever be a star of his own right?

Everyone knows that if you ask a non-sox fan to name a sox player, the first player he or she will name is Thomas or maybe Konerko, and every team's "star" is a power hitter. But when Pods gets on base, there is an excitement that can't be denied. Obviously not now, but in the future, will players like him become "stars"? Or will their contributions be overlooked for that adreneline rush at the crack of a bat when the ball is launched into orbit?

miker
06-27-2005, 01:00 PM
In '59, Apparicio had more steals then every team in the AL except one.

Speed kills...and can win a lot of ballgames.

Flight #24
06-27-2005, 02:31 PM
Yes, there are a lot of ways to win baseball games.

Heresy!!! There is but 1 way to win, and that is by prostrating oneself at the feet of the master himself and his temple of dominance in Oakland!

Seriously, there is 1 way to win. Pitching. There are a lot of ways to score runs, but look at any top team and you'll see at least halfway decent to great pitching.

scottjanssens
06-27-2005, 02:37 PM
Here's a question I've been pondering:

Do you think a player like Scottie could ever be a star of his own right?

Ichiro.

If Ichiro played for an east coast team, he's all we'd hear about. It's not the player that's important in determining who the big stars are, it's the players' geographic location. You can't become big if the sports shows don't cover you.

Biggest story reported last night (on radio) was Giambi, for crying out loud.