PDA

View Full Version : Todd Walker a lurker?????

SoxWillWin
06-25-2005, 02:35 PM
found this quote from him.....note the highlight.

"They've always been the second-favorite team in Chicago, and if that's the case they can't be the favorite team in the country. They deserve a lot more [recognition] than they receive. They probably like it better that way -- they probably fly under the radar." -- Walker on the White Sox.

mdep524
06-25-2005, 03:41 PM
found this quote from him.....note the highlight.
I don't know if Todd Walker lurks around here or not (probably not- the "under the radar" thing is a relatively common phrase), but I am tired of hearing people say the Sox are the "second favorite team in Chicago" or "least loved team," or any such crap. Sox fans love the White Sox as passionately, intensely, loyally and emotionally as any other fan base of any sports team in this country-- in many case more than other fan bases. If there happens to be a smaller number of casual fans surrounding the Sox, oh well.

By measure of our true fans, (i.e. not drunken bleacher bums at the Urinal) the Sox are as loved as anything. If Cubs fans, disinterested Chicagoans, and the national media don't recognize that or don't care that they're misreading the situation, to hell with 'em.

patbooyah
06-25-2005, 03:49 PM
also- it hasn't ALWAYS been the case.

Unregistered
06-25-2005, 04:31 PM
"Under the radar" was something that KW himself said about this team in the offseason. I believe it was in reference to everyone picking the Sox to finish second or third in the division.

It really doesn't have anything to do with WSI.

Nellie_Fox
06-26-2005, 02:35 AM
also- it hasn't ALWAYS been the case.You'll find that most MLB ballplayers have no sense of history at all. Witness those who play in oldtime uniforms in "turn back the clock" games and still wear the pants down to their shoetops. They can't even get into it for one game. I thought of this again today seeing the highlights of the Padres and Mariners, both wearing minor league throwbacks from San Diego and Seattle before the days of MLB. Most had stirrups showing, but a couple of the morons had their pants down like spats all the way under the heels.

People who think the Cubs have "always" been the favorite in Chicago have no sense of history.

Foulke You
06-26-2005, 11:05 AM
I don't know if Todd Walker lurks around here or not (probably not- the "under the radar" thing is a relatively common phrase), but I am tired of hearing people say the Sox are the "second favorite team in Chicago" or "least loved team," or any such crap. Sox fans love the White Sox as passionately, intensely, loyally and emotionally as any other fan base of any sports team in this country-- in many case more than other fan bases. If there happens to be a smaller number of casual fans surrounding the Sox, oh well.

By measure of our true fans, (i.e. not drunken bleacher bums at the Urinal) the Sox are as loved as anything. If Cubs fans, disinterested Chicagoans, and the national media don't recognize that or don't care that they're misreading the situation, to hell with 'em.
Amen brother.:gulp: