PDA

View Full Version : This Week in Baseball

Cellview22
06-25-2005, 01:52 PM
I was just sitting down eating lunch flipping through the channels when "This Week in Baseball" started. I was over by the table, the remote was on the couch, so naturally I didn't feel like getting up and turning off that garbage. I decided to stay seated and see what they covered this week.

I almost threw up. You just can't get away from them. An entire 15 minutes of the first half of the show was dedicated to the Cubs, their fans, Derrek Lee, and Wrigley. Anyone else see this? I know it's nothing new that the Cubs will always be the media darlings, but on a week where they look absolutely miserable, and the "other team in town" is 28 games over, it's just downright disrespectful.

What never ceases to amaze me was the same old interviews with the same old celebrities. Billy Corgan, Kid Rock, Jim Belushi..you get the point..were all raving about what it feels like walking into the stadium and how they get goosebumps because there's nothing else like it. Also went on to say they have the best fans in the world.

The sad part about the media's delusional love affair with the Cubs is that all the casual baseball fans buy it. Little kids in Nebraska and Montana are now asking their moms if they can please go to Chicago and Wrigley on their next vacation. :(: ESPN AND FOX are both jokes!

jortafan
06-25-2005, 08:04 PM
Lighten up, would ya.

Yes, I saw the same show, and listening to Jim Belushi was annoying. But that show usually goes out of its way to feature a ballplayer who is doing something unusual or noteworthy. For what it's worth, Derrek Lee has had one heck of a first half of a season.

It wouldn't shock me if some time in 2005, the crew from This Week in Baseball manages to make it out to the South Side to highlight Jon Garland's season, or perhaps the duo of Garland and Buehrle. I have seen them do similar puff pieces on Sox-related stuff. I still remember the show they did a couple of seasons ago that focused almost entirely on the White Sox sleepover night promotion.

Besides, part of the reason I have trouble taking the show too seriously is that it just isn't the same without the voice of Mel Allen (yeah, I'm getting old). I miss some of those old blooper reels, which Allen managed to do with more taste and humor than the video schpiels that ESPN does these days.

Banix12
06-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Lighten up, would ya.

Yes, I saw the same show, and listening to Jim Belushi was annoying. But that show usually goes out of its way to feature a ballplayer who is doing something unusual or noteworthy. For what it's worth, Derrek Lee has had one heck of a first half of a season.

It wouldn't shock me if some time in 2005, the crew from This Week in Baseball manages to make it out to the South Side to highlight Jon Garland's season, or perhaps the duo of Garland and Buehrle. I have seen them do similar puff pieces on Sox-related stuff. I still remember the show they did a couple of seasons ago that focused almost entirely on the White Sox sleepover night promotion.

Besides, part of the reason I have trouble taking the show too seriously is that it just isn't the same without the voice of Mel Allen (yeah, I'm getting old). I miss some of those old blooper reels, which Allen managed to do with more taste and humor than the video schpiels that ESPN does these days.

Yup, agreed. Especially about Mel Allen, the show just hasn't been the same since his passing. When I was a kid I used to love Sox rain delays because I knew they would usually show an episode of TWIB or failing that a blooper tape, but usally TWIB. It used to be a gem of baseball journalism, now it's just a kids show.

SOXSINCE'70
06-26-2005, 06:32 PM
I could live without that Uncle Fester" looking drillrod
Billy Corrigan.I always hated the Smashing Pumpkins.
Now,I know why.A dillusional sCrUBS fan who continues
to chant "Sox Suck" rates a 0 with me.

Brian26
06-26-2005, 09:43 PM
I was just sitting down eating lunch flipping through the channels when "This Week in Baseball" started. I was over by the table, the remote was on the couch, so naturally I didn't feel like getting up and turning off that garbage. I decided to stay seated and see what they covered this week.

I almost threw up. You just can't get away from them. An entire 15 minutes of the first half of the show was dedicated to the Cubs, their fans, Derrek Lee, and Wrigley. Anyone else see this? I know it's nothing new that the Cubs will always be the media darlings, but on a week where they look absolutely miserable, and the "other team in town" is 28 games over, it's just downright disrespectful.

What never ceases to amaze me was the same old interviews with the same old celebrities. Billy Corgan, Kid Rock, Jim Belushi..you get the point..were all raving about what it feels like walking into the stadium and how they get goosebumps because there's nothing else like it. Also went on to say they have the best fans in the world.

The sad part about the media's delusional love affair with the Cubs is that all the casual baseball fans buy it. Little kids in Nebraska and Montana are now asking their moms if they can please go to Chicago and Wrigley on their next vacation. :(: ESPN AND FOX are both jokes!

I saw it, brother. And I agree with you 100%. The first 20 minutes of the show were unwatchable.