PDA

View Full Version : Is Thomas' come back too late

Iguana775
06-25-2005, 11:15 AM
to be considered for the MVP? Hell, if he can keep this up, I don't know how you can ignore him. The Sox have been on fire since he has been in the lineup.

kevingrt
06-25-2005, 11:21 AM
to be considered for the MVP? Hell, if he can keep this up, I don't know how you can ignore him. The Sox have been on fire since he has been in the lineup.

In a word, Yes

The Critic
06-25-2005, 11:25 AM
If he keeps hitting a home run every 5.something at-bats and the Sox maintain this winning percentage, I dunno....:cool:

But in all probability, yeah, he came back too late for serious MVP consideration.
That's OK, WE know how valuable he is!!!

dcb33
06-25-2005, 11:39 AM
His contributions to the offense are invaluable:

Before Frank's return, the Sox played 50 games and scored 219 runs for an average of 4.38 runs per game
Since Frank's return, the Sox have played 22 games and scored 137 runs for an average of 6.23 runs per game.

The Sox offense has increased its run production by an average of 1.85 runs per game since his return. Not only has he killed every ball in sight (most of his outs are long, loud flyouts), he's also picked up the guys around him as Konerko and Dye are hitting the ball a lot better now. If that doesn't scream MVP and HOF, I don't know what does.

The Racehorse
06-25-2005, 12:10 PM

Frank is on pace for 46hr's & 80rbi's [games he's played vs 106 games total]... if he does THAT, he should win comeback player of the year.

I thought I'd project HR's & RBI's for the rest of our key players using the formula of games played versus 162 games total;

Player-HR's-RBI's
PK = 41 & 119
Dye = 34 & 82
Aaron = 12 & 75
A.J. = 31[!] & 88
Crede = 23 & 72
Carl = 27 & 124

As for the projections, Frank's & Carl's numbers are more of a WAG than the others since they're now both competing for playing time as DH. I also expect A.J.'s tater-total to be lower than 31 while Aaron to smack more than 12.

As a contrast between now and the late '80s, Kirk Gibson won the 1988 NL MVP with a .290 25hr 76rbi season, partly in due to voters deciding Gibby's production was more important to the Dodgers success as a team more than the actual numbers. The year before that, Andre Dawson had phenomanal numbers, being voted NL MVP despite The Hawk being on a last place team [the Cubs!].

MIgrenade
06-25-2005, 12:16 PM
What I am most happy about is that yesterday he sacrificed himself twice after hitting the homer. He tried to go to right and hit it far enough to get guys moving. Totally unselfish. There is the chance he was doing it just to get swings trying to go that way, but it helped the team when he could have tried to pull a pitch and pop out.

soxwon
06-25-2005, 12:19 PM
i think podsednick will be mvp

daveeym
06-25-2005, 12:30 PM
No it's not too late the biggest thing hurting him is that THE SOX ALREADY HAD THE BEST RECORD IN THE LEAGUE WITHOUT HIM. Also yes he's been back 22 games and has helped but how many of those did he not play in or only pinch hit? Yes he's helped the sox but the offense has improved PERIOD.

Now regardless of that and how short of a time its been. If he keeps this up the rest of the year and stays healthy, I don't see why he couldn't get the MVP.

balke
06-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Frank is really hot right now, but this is a torrential pace that noone can really keep up. Either way, its like the Shaq MVP in basketball. How can you be MVP if the team is winning without you?

I think Frank is going to be essential to the Sox all season. I think he may be the best hitter in the league. MVP would be very tough though. If he somehow led in HR's and BB's, even though he missed over a third of the season, then yes he would get it. As it is, he has 7. 7 is a lot for time played, but to get 7 more in the same amount of time would be not be human.

I loooove having him back though. He's walking at the right time, and going yard at the right time every game. The offense looks twice as good with him in the 3 spot.

JB98
06-25-2005, 01:19 PM
What I am most happy about is that yesterday he sacrificed himself twice after hitting the homer. He tried to go to right and hit it far enough to get guys moving. Totally unselfish. There is the chance he was doing it just to get swings trying to go that way, but it helped the team when he could have tried to pull a pitch and pop out.

Exactly. I noticed that too. With the talent Frank has, there's no reason he can't be a great situational hitter, as well as a HR hitter. I think a lot of media members are waiting for either Frank or Carl to bitch and moan about having to share playing time, but I don't think that's going to happen. These guys are smart enough to know we have a shot to win this year if everyone plays for the good of the team. I think Frank has bought in.

And, yes, there is enough time for Frank to get into MVP contention. He's been back a month, and there are still three months of baseball to be played. He'll have plenty of opportunities to put some numbers up.

StockdaleForVeep
06-25-2005, 01:30 PM
The question to address first is who is in line for the AL mvp right now, we all know the NL one is gonna be between pujols and lee most likely but who for the AL

I think the writers will be sleazy and give it to brian roberts for his one joke year

batmanZoSo
06-25-2005, 01:52 PM
I've never heard of a player winning MVP in four months. One month, yes (Giambi). Zing!

A lot of our hitters were just due to get hot after struggling early on, so part of the huge jump in runs per game is coincidental to Frank's return. But yes, he's huge to this lineup and I wouldn't be surprised if our runs per game stays well over 5 for the rest of the year. None of this should be a surprise, we all know how good he is. The stats prove that he's one of the best pure hitters who ever played the game.

Whitesox029
06-25-2005, 01:58 PM
i think podsednick will be mvp
Podsednik? MVP? He hasn't hit any HRs! How can this happen??

miker
06-25-2005, 01:59 PM
I've never heard of a player winning MVP in four months. One month, yes (Giambi). Zing!

It was the steroids...

miker
06-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Podsednik? MVP? He hasn't hit any HRs! How can this happen??

Seriously, smart baseball people will acknowledge that Pods skills has made him most valuable to the White Sox.

The people that vote for MVP love big hitting stats, which is was he won't win it. :(:

StockdaleForVeep
06-25-2005, 02:05 PM
Seriously, smart baseball people will acknowledge that Pods skills has made him most valuable to the White Sox.

The people that vote for MVP love big hitting stats, which is was he won't win it. :(:

Remember, the MVP voters(Writers) are morons

These are the same occupational jagbags who didnt give ted williams the MVP one season cuz they didnt like him and Williams had won the triple crown.

Bisco Stu
06-25-2005, 02:16 PM
If he didn't win MVP in 2000, he's not winning now. General media perception of Frank is negative. Who cares, as long as we win the pennant (minimum, have to surpass the 2003 Flubs and reassert ourselves as THE Chicago baseball franchise).

balke
06-25-2005, 02:44 PM
The question to address first is who is in line for the AL mvp right now, we all know the NL one is gonna be between pujols and lee most likely but who for the AL

I think the writers will be sleazy and give it to brian roberts for his one joke year

Roberts has, and will cool down considerably. Tejada would get it before him. Tejada A-Rod Vlad and Teixera front-runners for now? Podsednik may seriously be talked about, not just by us. Although, I just heard Joe Buck call Damon the best leadoff hitter in the game.

rmusacch
06-25-2005, 02:47 PM

The Sox are 17-6 since he came back.

DaleJRFan
06-25-2005, 10:18 PM
This has already been said, but if there is a viable contender for AL MVP on the south side, it is a starting pitcher. I love the big hurt, but the pitching staff has been largely responsible for the Sox successes.

JB98
06-25-2005, 10:34 PM
The Sox are 17-6 since he came back.

And they were 33-17 without him.

Sox without Frank: Good
Sox with Frank: Really good

For that reason, Thomas is going to have to put up unreal numbers to get into the MVP race. You could make a good case that we're a playoff team even without him.

DumpJerry
06-25-2005, 11:15 PM
This has already been said, but if there is a viable contender for AL MVP on the south side, it is a starting pitcher. I love the big hurt, but the pitching staff has been largely responsible for the Sox successes.
Ok, Buehrle and Garland. One get Cy Young, the other MVP.

jerry
06-26-2005, 10:28 AM
And they were 33-17 without him.

Sox without Frank: Good
Sox with Frank: Really good

For that reason, Thomas is going to have to put up unreal numbers to get into the MVP race. You could make a good case that we're a playoff team even without him.

I agree. They are a better team with him in the lineup, no MVP this year because he won't play enough to get the attention. I just hope he continues to swing the bat like he did on Friday, all line drives, even to right field.

Deadguy
06-26-2005, 02:15 PM

But Ichiro won it in 2001, since his addition to the squad helped propel them to 116 wins, despite the loss of Pay-Rod.