PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's First to 50

kittle545feet
06-25-2005, 03:06 AM
I was watching the highlights on ESPN News when I got home from work and they were talking about how the Sox were the first to 50 wins and how many games it took them. This was all based on the last 5 seasons and what the outcomes were for the teams who hit 50 wins first. The 2005 Sox have taken 72 games to hit 50 wins and the next closest was the 2003 Mariners, who needed 75 games, and the 2004 Yankees needed 76 games. The Yankees were the only team in the last 5 years who hit 50 wins first and still went on to win their division. All of the other teams finished out of contention and missed the playoffs. I think the thing they left out was how big the leads were in the divisions at the time each team won their 50th game. It seems to me that the Sox 10.5 game lead at the time of their 50th win would be the largest in recent memory and if that is true, it kind of makes the whole premise of the story very different. Anyway, I celebrate the great start and the huge lead and I am still aware of the games remaining and how we need to keep on grinding.:)

doublem23
06-25-2005, 04:20 AM
Well... I guess let's take a look.... In 2004, the Yankees were the first to fifty, reaching that milestone after after beating the Red Sox 5-4 on July 1, in their 76th game. They had a 8 1/2 game lead in the division at that point. They went on to finish 101-61 and win the American League East by 3 games. I don't think I need to tell anyone their post-season fate.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/standings.cgi?date=2004-07-01

In 2003, the Seattle Mariners were the first team to win 50 games. They accomplished the feat on, coincidentally, June 24, defeating the Anaheim Angels 6-4 in their 75th game of the season. They had a 6 game lead in the West at that point. The Mariners tanked the rest of the way, not even playing .500 ball (43-44), and wound up losing the division by 3 games to Oakland and finished 2 back of the Red Sox for the wild card.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/standings.cgi?date=2003-06-24

In 2002, there was a tie between the Dodgers and Mariners. Both won their 50th on June 28 in their 79th game of the season; Los Angeles with a 7-5 win over the Angels and Seattle with a 6-2 win over Colorado. Los Angeles held a slim, 3 1/2 game lead over Arizona on that day and Seattle only held a 4 1/2 game lead over Anahiem. Both teams relatively tanked again, Los Angeles playing 1 game over .500 the rest of the way (42-41) and Seattle 3 (43-40). The Dodgers wound up finishing third in the National League West behind Arizona and San Francisco and Seattle finished third behind Anaheim and Oakland.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/standings.cgi?date=2002-06-28

In 2001, the Mariners won their 50th game on June 14 (in contrast, the team with the 2nd most wins in the bigs at that time, the Twins, had 41). They were 50-14 at the time after beating Colorado in Game 2 of a doubleheader, 5-1. That win put them 18 games up on Oakland in the division, and though they didn't keep up their .718 winning percentage the rest of the year, they managed to still win over 2/3 of their remaining games, going 66-32 the rest of the way to coast to a division title by 14 games. They won the ALDS against Cleveland in 5 before dropping the ALCS to New York in 5.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/standings.cgi?date=2001-06-14

And lastly, in 2000, it was our White Sox that reached the 50-win plateau first. They did so on June 30 in their 79th game, a 10-4 thumping of the Red Sox. The win put the Sox 9 1/2 games up on Cleveland at the time. The Sox went 45-38 the rest of the way to win the Central by 5 games before being swept by Seattle in the ALDS. :whiner:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/2000_sched.shtml

mccombe_35
06-25-2005, 07:48 AM
great stuff doublem23. Thanks!

The Racehorse
06-25-2005, 08:40 AM
doublem23, thanks for the good work. :cool:

As for the second half, sometimes things happen that are totally unexplained and defy logic. Sometimes teams that stunk the first half suddenly turn into the '27 Yankees, and vice versa... which leads me to look at the 4 game series at Cleveland, immediately after the AS game, as an important indicator of how the rest of the season will shape up.

balke
06-25-2005, 09:28 AM
doublem23, thanks for the good work. :cool:

As for the second half, sometimes things happen that are totally unexplained and defy logic. Sometimes teams that stunk the first half suddenly turn into the '27 Yankees, and vice versa... which leads me to look at the 4 game series at Cleveland, immediately after the AS game, as an important indicator of how the rest of the season will shape up.

Everyone has made me nervous. I would be happy with the playoffs alone this year, because it was about all I expected coming into the season. But this team has raised expectations so high, it would be a shame if we couldn't go all the way. This is the point in the season where things change. The Twins could pick up a Roger Clemens or Tejada at any point to become the super twins. (Okay not really, but they could improve at the deadline. They could possibly deal with the Phillies for some power, they have starters, Phillies have Players like Thome. Cincinnati would love to deal some power as well).

The team looks really good right now. Maybe Kenny is worried and is thinking things up, or maybe we are already good enough with 3 great pitchers and Frank Thomas and Konerko in the middle to do something great the rest of the way. Hopefully the Sox can be the best. The expectations are raising with every win.

Jurr
06-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Everyone has made me nervous. I would be happy with the playoffs alone this year, because it was about all I expected coming into the season. But this team has raised expectations so high, it would be a shame if we couldn't go all the way. This is the point in the season where things change. The Twins could pick up a Roger Clemens or Tejada at any point to become the super twins. (Okay not really, but they could improve at the deadline. They could possibly deal with the Phillies for some power, they have starters, Phillies have Players like Thome. Cincinnati would love to deal some power as well).

The team looks really good right now. Maybe Kenny is worried and is thinking things up, or maybe we are already good enough with 3 great pitchers and Frank Thomas and Konerko in the middle to do something great the rest of the way. Hopefully the Sox can be the best. The expectations are raising with every win.
Yeah, it does start to make you worry about their long term (playoff) fate, but you have to think about a couple of things....
1. Fan support is WAY up (along with ticket sales)...this is a good long term thing for payroll, future talent, etc.
2. They do have a team (bullpen, starting pitching, clutch hitting) that CAN make big waves in the playoffs. They don't rely on slugging to win the majority of games.

This season is a great turning point for the direction of the Sox franchise due to their wins, their change in team focus (pitching and defense), and the new fan support in Chicago. Enjoy the ride!

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-25-2005, 10:01 AM
Nervous, excited, hedging our bets, cautiously optimistic, loving every win, hoping the AS break was already over....wishing it were September right now!!

The Dude
06-25-2005, 10:11 AM
I was watching the highlights on ESPN News when I got home from work and they were talking about how the Sox were the first to 50 wins and how many games it took them. This was all based on the last 5 seasons and what the outcomes were for the teams who hit 50 wins first. The 2005 Sox have taken 72 games to hit 50 wins and the next closest was the 2003 Mariners, who needed 75 games, and the 2004 Yankees needed 76 games. The Yankees were the only team in the last 5 years who hit 50 wins first and still went on to win their division. All of the other teams finished out of contention and missed the playoffs. I think the thing they left out was how big the leads were in the divisions at the time each team won their 50th game. It seems to me that the Sox 10.5 game lead at the time of their 50th win would be the largest in recent memory and if that is true, it kind of makes the whole premise of the story very different. Anyway, I celebrate the great start and the huge lead and I am still aware of the games remaining and how we need to keep on grinding.:)

Man....everytime I look at the standings I cant help but remember early on in the season the experts telling us that we'd be lucky to finish 3rd and could easily end up last after losing so much talent. I know this is beaten to a bloody pulp in many threads, but it has got to make this even more special for us Sox fans!

kevingrt
06-25-2005, 10:21 AM
Nervous, excited, hedging our bets, cautiously optimistic, loving every win, hoping the AS break was already over....wishing it were September right now!!

Those are my thoughts right now. But heh, I would love to enjoy a couple more months of winning baseball instead of pacing going crazy during every game in September and dare I say October.

kittle545feet
06-25-2005, 10:30 AM
Great stuff doublem23! I don't know if it's too early in the morning or what, but I don't get the first to 50 thing on ESPN. If the info you provided is accurate, and it always is, then the Mariners are the exception to the rule as well as the 2004 Yankees, right? So, the fate of the teams to reach 50 wins first is not as bad as the jerks from Bristol wanted it to sound. They said the 2004 Yankees were the only team to win their division and it seems you have caught them. I love it! Let me know if I need more coffee to wake up or am I understanding this information correctly. Thanks!

kojak
06-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Of Coors, ESPN didn't mention the 1998 Yankmees, who won #50 in something like their 46th game and continued to steamroll all of baseball, straight to the World Championship.

Statistics-schmatistics!

No need to be nervous or concerned. This team is built for October. Sure, disaster could strike in any number of ways, but I feel like we are destined to be celebrating in October. This season will truly be One for the Ages.

So enjoy, because you never forget your first....One.

MIgrenade
06-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Remember that in the last 5 years there have been a lot of wild card teams that have won. All of the last 3. That is not a normal occurence since the WC's inception. I guess I really don't have a point except that the stats for the last 5 years my not be as accurate as the last, maybe, 10 years. Of course those were Yankee and Braves World Series so maybe not...
Well, I guess stats are pointless.