PDA

View Full Version : Good for a laugh:A Cubs fan's view on today's game

Whitesox029
06-25-2005, 02:10 AM
Discovered while lurking (NOT trolling...I don't stoop to that level) at nsbb.com, the unofficial cubs message board:

Well at least our stadium has Ivy.... :(::(:

There was no indication of sarcasm. Laugh yourself silly.

:bluerock

Banix12
06-25-2005, 03:13 AM
I like the game threads, get a good view of the thought process during the day and you can pinpoint the exact moment when the white sox crushed their dreams of winning

shoota
06-25-2005, 03:47 AM
Discovered while lurking (NOT trolling...I don't stoop to that level) at nsbb.com, the unofficial cubs message board:

:bluerock

I think he was being sarcastic.

I read all 22 pages of the game thread, and I was impressed with the Cubs fans who posted in it. There was a lot of hand ringing at their own team's and players' faults, not Sox bashing. Some were getting frustrated Podsednik kept getting on base, wishing Corey was more like him. Some funny zings at Corey.

Compliments on how the Sox execute fundamental baseball at a high rate. They blame Baker for not holding his players accountable for bad fundamentals. They are very upset at the lack of plate patience and team OBP.

I learned from that thread that Dubois strikes out a lot, they think Todd Walker should be batting 2nd, and Neifi, Hairston and Corey are hurting D. Lee's chances at the Triple Crown by not getting on base enough.

ilsox7
06-25-2005, 03:55 AM

I read all 22 pages of the game thread, and I was impressed with the Cubs fans who posted in it. There was a lot of hand ringing at their own team's and players' faults, not Sox bashing. Some were getting frustrated Podsednik kept getting on base, wishing Corey was more like him. Some funny zings at Corey.

Compliments on how the Sox execute fundamental baseball at a high rate. They blame Baker for not holding his players accountable for bad fundamentals. They are very upset at the lack of plate patience and team OBP.

I learned from that thread that Dubois strikes out a lot, they think Todd Walker should be batting 2nd, and Neifi, Hairston and Corey are hurting D. Lee's chances at the Triple Crown by not getting on base enough.

There are just as many "good" Cub fans are there are good Sox fans. People here do not like to admit that, but it's the truth.

shoota
06-25-2005, 03:58 AM
NSBB:

Christ almighty! THE CUBS ARE GOING TO LEARN IN THIS VERY GAME THAT HAVING A LEADOFF HITTER GET ON BASE IS BENEFICIAL TO SCORING RUNS!! LETS WALK PODSEDNIK A FEW MORE TIMES.

I wonder what Patterson and Perez think when the opposing #1 and #2 hitters walk?

Probably thinking they should've swung the bat.

Do you suppose Corey is paying any attention to how Podsednik is playing in this game--he could give him a lesson!!

Don't swing at every 3-1 pitch even if it is a strike, because the next one might not be

I am so sick of this ......................................

Corey probaby thinks Podsenik stinks because he hasn't hit any HRs today--I mean he has had some real hitters counts and he has taken strikes that I am sure COrey could have yanked outta there!!

Banix12
06-25-2005, 04:17 AM
There are just as many "good" Cub fans are there are good Sox fans. People here do not like to admit that, but it's the truth.

Yup, one of my best friends from college was a cub fan and we actually still talk baseball over email all the time. There are plenty of good cub fans out there, they just get overshadowed by the bad ones. It's a shame really.

Just about everybody gets stereotyped by the worst 5% of their particular affiliations, it's a rule that applies to more than just baseball fandom.

soxfanforlife28
06-25-2005, 04:30 AM
There are just as many "good" Cub fans are there are good Sox fans. People here do not like to admit that, but it's the truth.Well i sure the hell would like to know where u can find one. "Cubs fan that is"

Hitmen77
06-25-2005, 09:02 AM

Yes, but all the "good" Cub fans I know wrap themselves wholeheartedly in the attendance issue. The moment they do that, they are linking themselves to the majority that go to Wrigley Field. They can't have it both ways - say they are not like the lemmings who don't pay attention to the game at Wrigley and then turn around and crow about attendance.

ilsox7
06-25-2005, 09:34 AM
Yes, but all the "good" Cub fans I know wrap themselves wholeheartedly in the attendance issue. The moment they do that, they are linking themselves to the majority that go to Wrigley Field. They can't have it both ways - say they are not like the lemmings who don't pay attention to the game at Wrigley and then turn around and crow about attendance.

The ones I have talked to HATE the fact that there are so many people running around saying, "Go Cubbies! I love my Cubbie Blue." And then they can't name more than Wood and Prior.

Think of it this way: most of us are Sox fans b/c our family grew up or you grew up on the South Side. That's the same reason there are many good Cub fans. They were brought up just like we were, just several miles North.

Honestly, take a look around WSI. There are many, many great, knowledgeable Sox fans here. But there are also many, many Cub haters here who seem to enjoy Cub losses even more than Sox wins. You don't think those people give Sox fans a bad name? They do. You don't think Sox "fans" booing Contrearas 2 Mondays ago after his lone bad outting in weeks gives Sox fans a bad name? Well, it does.

Don't let the fact that Wrigley is filled with so many casual fans (and it is...their season ticket base is higher in part due to Corporate season tickets, which define the casual fan) jade you. These casual fans are NOT who I am talking about. A good Cub fan will be able to talk the game of baseball. And is probably royally pissed off at their team these days b/c their GM decided not too fill the most gaping of holes (bullpen). Might they joke around talking about attendance? Sure. Does that make them bad fans? Nah, it's similar to when we tell them the only reason their attendance is higher b/c everyone is there to drink and be seen in the social scene. We are probably both right (their attendance is higher and the reason it is higher is b/c of the casual, drunkard fan). Anyways, a serious Cub fan won't harp on that argument any longer than just to get a bit of a rise out of a Sox fan.

samram
06-25-2005, 10:11 AM

You know, people don't have to use teal to indicate sarcasm. Furthermore, the way I read that, he is lamenting the fact that Cub fans can't even brag about their ivy-covered concussion-hazards anymore.

soxgirl617
06-25-2005, 10:35 AM
The ones I have talked to HATE the fact that there are so many people running around saying, "Go Cubbies! I love my Cubbie Blue." And then they can't name more than Wood and Prior.

Think of it this way: most of us are Sox fans b/c our family grew up or you grew up on the South Side. That's the same reason there are many good Cub fans. They were brought up just like we were, just several miles North.

Honestly, take a look around WSI. There are many, many great, knowledgeable Sox fans here. But there are also many, many Cub haters here who seem to enjoy Cub losses even more than Sox wins. You don't think those people give Sox fans a bad name? They do. You don't think Sox "fans" booing Contrearas 2 Mondays ago after his lone bad outting in weeks gives Sox fans a bad name? Well, it does.

Don't let the fact that Wrigley is filled with so many casual fans (and it is...their season ticket base is higher in part due to Corporate season tickets, which define the casual fan) jade you. These casual fans are NOT who I am talking about. A good Cub fan will be able to talk the game of baseball. And is probably royally pissed off at their team these days b/c their GM decided not too fill the most gaping of holes (bullpen). Might they joke around talking about attendance? Sure. Does that make them bad fans? Nah, it's similar to when we tell them the only reason their attendance is higher b/c everyone is there to drink and be seen in the social scene. We are probably both right (their attendance is higher and the reason it is higher is b/c of the casual, drunkard fan). Anyways, a serious Cub fan won't harp on that argument any longer than just to get a bit of a rise out of a Sox fan.

I agree 100%, and I'm glad to see I'm not alone in knowing there are "good" Cub fans. I have several friends (true, die-hard Cub fans) who rarely attend Cub games anymore b/c of disgust over the drunken "I'm a Cub fan b/c it's trendy" fans at Wrigley. Other Cub fan friends still attend games, but bemoan the beer garden atmosphere. They can all discuss baseball intelligently, and I enjoy doing so with them. We may tease back and forth about Sox v. Cubs, but we respect each other's opinions.

Of course, there is no doubt that the SOX are the best!!!!!!

miker
06-25-2005, 11:40 AM

INFIDEL!!! HERETIC!!!

And I post this while "This Week in (Cubs) Baseball" droans on about the Flubbies and their curse...

I'll give you that there are as many "good" Cub fans as their are "objective" journalists!

Ol' No. 2
06-25-2005, 11:42 AM
I agree 100%, and I'm glad to see I'm not alone in knowing there are "good" Cub fans. I have several friends (true, die-hard Cub fans) who rarely attend Cub games anymore b/c of disgust over the drunken "I'm a Cub fan b/c it's trendy" fans at Wrigley. Other Cub fan friends still attend games, but bemoan the beer garden atmosphere. They can all discuss baseball intelligently, and I enjoy doing so with them. We may tease back and forth about Sox v. Cubs, but we respect each other's opinions.

Of course, there is no doubt that the SOX are the best!!!!!!The Cubs, like the Sox, have their base of hard-core, long-time fans, most of whom are very knowledgable. The remaining doofuses are a result of the success of the Tribune marketing machine. What do you expect when you market ivy and Lovable Losers?

Don't look now, but as the Sox bandwagon starts filling up, they're not all going to be the knowledgable fans to which we've become accustomed. Such is the price of success.

MIgrenade
06-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Every time I go to other forums to check them out I am thankful that WSI doesn't suck. There are some really bad interfaces that are tough to deal with. The Oakland one was really awful.

buehrle4cy05
06-25-2005, 11:51 AM

That's completelty true. I try to have a good baseball discussion with knowlegdeable Cubs fans, and after 15 minutes, here's an example of how it goes:

"Anaheim is playing pretty well right now."
"Yeah, they have a good, solid team, and their stadium is full every day, which is beneficial to the players"
"Hey, Wrigely Field is always full, and it doesn't seem to help the Cubs a bit."
...and then a remark about the attendance at U.S. Cellular Field. It ticks me off, because it really has nothing to do with anything.

balke
06-25-2005, 12:09 PM
Yeah I have a couple freinds I grew up with that are Cubs fans. They are really disgusted with Corey, Wood, Dusty, and the bullpen. They don't think Prior should be coming back this soon either.

But the other day the sox drew 28,000 on a weekday afternoon and they were talking about how the Sox can't draw like the Cubs. I had to remind them that the Sox used to outdraw the Cubs, and its only a matter of time before the trend comes back. I also reminded them that I'd rather be winning games than attendance battles. Especially if I'm owned by the Trib, and payroll won't reflect attendance anyhow.

It takes winning baseball to win fans. I know a lot of bitter Cubs fans after all the blunders through the years. It always happens that the owners make bad decisions and cut players for money reasons, then it comes back to haunt them and the fans get bitter and put down their hats for a few years. A couple of my friends said they'd root for the Sox but they don't like routing for teams just because they are the best, which I can understand. It sure is nice to do when you've liked that team your whole life though. :D:

Whitesox029
06-25-2005, 12:11 PM
I refuse to believe that there is even one registered WSIer who would rather see both teams lose on any given day than see both teams win. Even outside of WSI I have not encountered any Sox fan who feels this way. Hard core sox fans are too smart for that. Bandwagon sox fans have no reason to hate the cubs because they're not hard core sox fans. Therefore, the "Sox fans" who prefer to see the cubs lose than to see the sox win are a complete myth made up by Cubs fans and even the media to give us a bad name.

miker
06-25-2005, 12:17 PM
I refuse to believe that there is even one registered WSIer who would rather see both teams lose on any given day than see both teams win. Even outside of WSI I have not encountered any Sox fan who feels this way. Hard core sox fans are too smart for that. Bandwagon sox fans have no reason to hate the cubs because they're not hard core sox fans. Therefore, the "Sox fans" who prefer to see the cubs lose than to see the sox win are a complete myth made up by Cubs fans and even the media to give us a bad name.

Agreed. IMHO, a Cubs loss doesn't salvage any Sox loss, although a Cubs loss can be a nice "chaser" to a Sox win.

I do have to admit I enjoy Cub playoff losses...

BRDSR
06-25-2005, 12:18 PM
Don't look now, but as the Sox bandwagon starts filling up, they're not all going to be the knowledgable fans to which we've become accustomed. Such is the price of success.

But that is SUCH a high price. I DON'T want to pay it. Whatever happened to the good old days of 11,000 really loud people at Sox park?

FarWestChicago
06-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Therefore, the "Sox fans" who prefer to see the cubs lose than to see the sox win are a complete myth made up by Cubs fans and even the media to give us a bad name.This is not true. We've seen them on these forums.

Nellie_Fox
06-26-2005, 01:42 AM
I take a back seat to no one in my hatred of the Cubs. A Sox win is always the best, but a Cubs loss on the same day makes it just fine.

However, as far as there being real, knowledgeable Cubs fans, I'll always remember my late Uncle (and Godfather) Bud, who spent his whole life sitting watching Cubs games, with a quart (no, not a forty) of Fox Deluxe beer at his side, waiting for that championship that never came.

He was a good man and I miss him. I sometimes fear that I will suffer the same fate (minus the Fox Deluxe.)

ilsox7
06-26-2005, 02:16 AM

I really wish I could agree with you, but I can't. I've seen it at WSI.

Banix12
06-26-2005, 03:59 AM

Those fans do exist. I know quite a few of them actually.

For me it's more of a bonus if the cubs lose. I admit to having a little smile when a loss occurs. Though if they win I'm not really affected, it doesn't really bother me unless some cub fan who knows I am a sox fan tries to rub it in. I have a grandfather who is a huge cubs fan and the reason I don't mind them winning is because of him. Though he has been watching more sox baseball this year since the cubs according to him "aren't worth a damn".

The only other interest I have in them is in the greater baseball sense where you look at just about every team around the league and wonder "what they hell are they thinking doing _____?" and "If I were the GM I would do ____."

ilsox7
06-26-2005, 04:05 AM
Well, my prediction that today was Game 7 of the World Series for Cub "fans" held true on my night out in Chicago. I had at least 4 or 5 Cub "fans" come up to me and brag about the game today. Then one guy came up with this winner, "What's the difference between the Sox and Cub?" I replied, "We are 50-23, you're not." He was like, "No, that's not it. The Cub fills their stadium."

I told him how nice it was that attendance meant more than wins. He didn't seem to get it. All in all, a comical night as the Cub "fans" I know still cannot grasp that they are a mediocre team.

Blob
06-26-2005, 09:42 AM

There was a scrub fan in the left filed on Friday, every time Corey came up to bat he would point at Pods and say "See? That's a real lead off hitter, you stink Corey"

Cubbiesuck13
06-28-2005, 06:00 AM
I have met many Cub 'fans' in my travels. It seems they are everywhere but the only one I have met who was also a baseball fan was an old man by the name of Chet who used to listen to the games. He helped make me a baseball fan (thank God my dad is a SOX fan!).

A couple days ago I am coming back from a night out and I see a guy with a cub hat on. I asked him if he was a cub fan or did he just like the hat and he said he was a fan. I asked him if he was excited about the upcoming games (vs the SOX) and he said he didn't know who they were playing. This has been my experience most of the time.