PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Expert

SOXPHILE
06-25-2005, 12:41 AM
I, like I'm sure alot of people here, feel that Steve Stone is a very knowledgeable baseball analyst, even though, until recently, was paid to be the color guy for the Cubs. Now he works for ESPN, but is heard on the Score several times a week giving his opinions on things. What I can't figure out is, before the series at Wrigley last month, he said, with alot of confidence, that the Cubs would/should take 2 of 3 from the Sox. The Sox were really starting to play well, and the Cubs, well....But, that was just his opinion, fine. Now, the Sox have far and away the best record in baseball, and are playing great while the inconsistent Cubs, before todays game, were struggling at 1 game over .500, in the midst losing 7 out of their last 10. But once again, prior to the game, he comes on and AGAIN says the Cubs should take 2 of 3. Once again, it's his opinion, but it's holding less and less water, and if anyone's heard him, he still almost sounds like he works for the Cubs. He keeps insisting they will be contending for the wild card, and are only a player away from really making a run. Is he watching the same team ? A few weeks ago, they had a 7 game winning streak, and that's pretty much been it. That streak is what put them over .500, (which they are back down to now :cool: ), and in general, they are playing pretty bad baseball. I guess the term "expert baseball analyst" is still just a matter of opinion.

elrod
06-25-2005, 12:46 AM
To his credit, he said the Cubs would go on a run before their 7 game winning streak. Of course all that success seems to have petered out and the Cubs are back where they started.

Banix12
06-25-2005, 01:19 AM
The cubs and cubs players "should be" doing a lot of things. The should be dominating with their starting pitching, they should be trying to move runners along more now that boppers Alou and Sosa aren't there, they should be beating up on weak teams in their division. They don't do these things. There is a very simple word for this, "Underachievers".

Stone can only analyze what the team has done and what they should be doing. I don't have to agree with his analysis on this point and I don't. But also, an Analyst's primary job is to get people to talk and get a conversation going.

I would also add I watched part of the NY vs. NY game he was covering and he had some very positive things to say about Frank Thomas and the sox.