PDA

View Full Version : Sox Game headline on ESPN homepage is downright inappropriate

MRKARNO
06-24-2005, 10:36 PM
I am not one to harp on media bias usually, but the headline for the game on ESPN.com right now is downright inappropriate.

It reads "Cubs mugged on South Side"

I don't think I have to go into why that is wrong on many levels.

Viva Medias B's
06-24-2005, 10:38 PM
I am not one to harp on media bias usually, but the headline for the game on ESPN.com right now is downright inappropriate.

No, you do not. And many of those why's would be Roadhouse issues.

DumpJerry
06-24-2005, 10:39 PM
I agree. It understates what happened. They got the you-know-what kicked out of them. They looked like Little Leaguers out there. They were calling their mommies by the 5th inning looking for emotional support and getting the phone hung up on them. They entered the Witness Protection Program. They don't want to come back and play Saturday and Sunday.

Chisox003
06-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Unbeliavable

Consider the source folks

doublem23
06-24-2005, 10:42 PM
**** you, ESPN. Can't bash the South Siders for their play any more, so you resort to petty ******* ****.

PeteWard
06-24-2005, 10:43 PM
I love it!!!!

Tomorrow I hope it says: "Sox eviscerate Cubs and cast their entrails to the hounds."

NDSox12
06-24-2005, 10:45 PM
I love it!!!!

Tomorrow I hope it says: "Sox eviscerate Cubs and cast their entrails to the hounds."

Haha... I think we should send that suggested headline to ESPN right now, you know, just in case.

Soxfest
06-24-2005, 10:59 PM
I hope we mug them 2 more times.:smile:

halfpricemonday
06-24-2005, 11:06 PM
Contrast this with SI.com's headline, "White Sox dump Cubs for eighth straight win"

It shows we've won eight straight games, making us the hottest team in the majors right now.

The Sox are the subject of the headline, not the helpless, oh-so-innocent cubs, who got "mugged" by some unnnamed team.

And the best thing about the headline: we "dumped" the cubs, making our win sound as routine as taking out the trash.

It's a good thing that I don't give a flying **** about ESPN, or I might expend some energy caring about their opinion, energy that's much better spent on following my 50-22 team.

shoota
06-25-2005, 12:24 AM

Agreed. But after clicking on the link, I did find this nice quote said by today's winning pitcher, Freddy Garcia:

"Games like this, I get a little more excited," Garcia said. "Today, I felt pretty good and pitched my game. Everybody was happy."

WhiteSoxFan84
06-25-2005, 12:29 AM

looool, come on guys. have a sense of humor. i actually cracked up at that headline.

can you imagine if the story was literally as stated? derek lee, todd walker, michael barret, and jason dubois gets jumped by a gang? dusty baker gets beaten up by a bunch of 16-year old thugs? carlos zambrano gets into a fist fight with a bunch of fans? lool, id never want anyone to get harmed, of course, but once in a while, you gotta let the PC crap go, sit back (strap it down), and laugh.

if it was real, itd be horrible, but its not, so just have a laugh.

besides, who cares what ESPN says. 50-22 baby.

S.S. Lumber Yard
06-25-2005, 12:47 AM
The White Sox deserve a lot more respect than what we get, but I kind of like it like that. We'll just keep kicking ass and taking names doing so! :angry:

Lip Man 1
06-25-2005, 01:16 AM
I have no issue with ESPN's headline. Ask no quarter, give no quarter. Just annihilate the opposition until they beg and scream for mercy.....then off with their heads.

:smile:

Lip

johnnyg83
06-25-2005, 01:32 AM
I was at work listening to rooney/Farmer on mlb.com -- i hope I'm wrong but this may be the best day of my Sox life.

chitownhawkfan
06-25-2005, 01:46 AM
It makes every victory that much sweeter when you know it bothers all those douche bags in Bristol, and everywhere else. They all might hate us, BUT NO ONE CAN STOP US

:andy

kevingrt
06-25-2005, 10:31 AM
People reading the headline I think wouldn't really put two and two together but oh well. All I know is we beat the living **** out of the Scrubbies yesterday and I see no reason we can't do it again today and Sunday. They better have their tails between their legs because they are about tog et another whooping.

MRKARNO
06-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Maybe I was overreacting at the time I started the thread (change that to probably), but my first thought when I saw that was that it was playing on a lot of the stereotypes of the South Side of Chicago that not many here would appreciate.

kittle545feet
06-25-2005, 10:45 AM
I see why someone would get upset at the headline but I don't feel its anything to lose sleep over.(not that anyone here is going to) But, I do feel that a headline like that is done on purpose to give a certain color to the team and the side of town. There is little doubt they were taking shots at the fans and the team by alluding to the incidents at the park over the last few years were drunk asswipes (correct me if I am wrong but wasn't one of them a Cub fan?) ran on to the field and assaulted Tom Gamboa and an umpire. Plus, we all know what Berman said about the Sox and their fans during 2003 at the allstar game so I think we are the red-headed stepchild at ESPN. Maybe its a little payback for signing with the Score? It's just a thought. Anyway,the people most pleased with that headline are idiot Cub fans who love what the headline implies but hates what the headline says, and thats just fine with me. There is one way to keep them quiet.....WIN BABY!

miker
06-25-2005, 11:57 AM
I would of preferred "White Sox Disembowel Cubs" but what the heck...

Now if this poor sap who wrote this headline gets mugged, you know they're going to blame Sox fans!