PDA

View Full Version : ESPN talks about harOLD

HootieMcBoob
11-17-2001, 08:08 PM
"One guy who really needs a coaching job
Harold Baines, White Sox. In the '90s, Harold Baines stopped playing the field. Now in the '00s, he's stopped hitting. Maybe there's some curiosity about what he'll stop doing in the '10s, but it damn sure isn't worth the cash or the roster spot to find out. He's not going to be back with the White Sox, and there's no good reason for any of 29 other teams to put him on the roster. Baines is a class act, and was a good player for a long time. It's over."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/bp/1279133.html

I agree.

RedPinStripes
11-17-2001, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob
Harold Baines, White Sox. In the '90s, Harold Baines stopped playing the field. Now in the '00s, he's stopped hitting. Maybe there's some curiosity about what he'll stop doing in the '10s, but it damn sure isn't worth the cash or the roster spot to find out. He's not going to be back with the White Sox, and there's no good reason for any of 29 other teams to put him on the roster. Baines is a class act, and was a good player for a long time. It's over."

I agree.

I second that .

GASHWOUND
11-17-2001, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by HootieMcBoob

I agree.

There's no way a team is gonna put Baines on their 25 man roster. Even if baseball expanded their rosters to 27 and changed the lineup from 9 hitters to 10 by adding another DH, Baines would still not make a MLB roster. But I did hear the Cubs are willing to give him a shot in left.

duke of dorwood
11-19-2001, 03:45 PM
:lynch&mcfail

Fits in nice with our 5 year plan

NUCatsFan
11-19-2001, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Fits in nice with our 5 year plan

What's a 5 year plan?

Jerry_Manuel
11-19-2001, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by NUCatsFan
What's a 5 year plan?

I always thought it was to play the rookies and hope that in the 2nd or 3rd year you have a good young core of players. Then with some luck in years 4 and 5 you make a run at the Series. But that's just my thinking.

duke of dorwood
11-19-2001, 04:08 PM
Kind of like Oakland this year

Daver
11-19-2001, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND

There's no way a team is gonna put Baines on their 25 man roster. Even if baseball expanded their rosters to 27 and changed the lineup from 9 hitters to 10 by adding another DH, Baines would still not make a MLB roster. But I did hear the Cubs are willing to give him a shot in left.

The Devil Rays would if he signed a low buck contract,it's a cost effective move on their part.Foolish and dumb,but cost effective.

FarmerAndy
11-19-2001, 07:07 PM
That would be perfect for the D-Rays, if Baines did reach 3,000
hits in a year or 2 they could have something to celebrate,
'cause they'll probably never put a real contending team on the
field. Might as well have an old timer for people to watch.

Daver
11-19-2001, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy

Good point,and welcome aboard.

They could even offer him an incentive to wear a D-Rays hat into the hall if reaches 3,000 hits.

But then again what the hell do I know?

kermittheefrog
11-19-2001, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy

That's the D-Rays style, bring in hometown guys like Boggs and McGriff and stories like Jim Morris and hope they'll have enough charisma and intangibles to bring a few people out to the park and win a couple games. In reality it does neither unless you are an extreme literalist.