PDA

View Full Version : Pitch Counts

Lip Man 1
06-24-2005, 12:51 PM
David Haugh in the Tribune has a great story looking at both sides of the 'pitch count' philosophy. Very well done and best of all he tracked down Wilbur Wood!

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-050623pitchcount,1,246333.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Lip

scottjanssens
06-24-2005, 01:08 PM
I don't know. I think pitch count hysteria is a little overblown at the moment, but I disagree with Wilbur on his bit about knuckleballers being just as affected by fatigue as 95 mph fastball hurlers. One merely has to think of Charlie Hough to dispell that nonsense.

I agree with the assertion that pitch count depends on the individual. The article shows Wood does well after his 91st pitch (although there must be some point where he starts losing effectiveness). I'll venture to say that he's not the norm in that regard. Pitchers don't all lost effectiveness over time for the same reason. Sometimes it's a matter of a pitcher getting tired, sometimes it's a matter of hitters getting used to the pitcher.

During the 2003 playoffs Grady Little was told that the numbers showed Pedro consistantly losing effectiveness after 107 pitches. (The teams have access to numbers that stat heads like me can only dream about.) Grady Little went with his gut though. There is something to pitch count, but it's not, and shouldn't be, the end-all be-all of game time decision making.