PDA

View Full Version : Freddy's First Inning

elrod
06-24-2005, 11:47 AM
I have to admit, the biggest thing that worries me today is Freddy's first inning. He's given up a HR in the first inning each of the last three games. He always gets into a groove afterwards but he puts the team in a hole right away. And in his last start his control was atrocious for the first couple innings. I recall Guillen or AJ saying that Freddy had to get "angry" out there before he settles in. I hope he gets "angry" in his bullpen warmups because I'm not looking forward to coming up in the bottom of the 1st already trailing.

CHISOXFAN13
06-24-2005, 11:49 AM
I have to admit, the biggest thing that worries me today is Freddy's first inning. He's given up a HR in the first inning each of the last three games. He always gets into a groove afterwards but he puts the team in a hole right away. And in his last start his control was atrocious for the first couple innings. I recall Guillen or AJ saying that Freddy had to get "angry" out there before he settles in. I hope he gets "angry" in his bullpen warmups because I'm not looking forward to coming up in the bottom of the 1st already trailing.

If he's as angry as he was on May 20, then everything will be all good. Here's hoping Mitre isn't getting a lot of ground balls today, either.

Madvora
06-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Derrek Lee bats in the first inning too.

The Racehorse
06-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Derrek Lee bats in the first inning too.

Derek Lee ain't that good.

Freddy will be fine as long as he doesn't nibble... if you're going to get beat, then get beat with your best stuff.

Huisj
06-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Seems that Garcia has had a case of Danny Wright first innings lately.

sircaffey1
06-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Don't worry, with Corey Patterson leading off, Freddy will get off to a good start...

elrod
06-24-2005, 12:07 PM
The scenario I worry about is Corey popping up on a ball out of the zone. Neifi Perez walking on four pitches. Derrek Lee getting ahead 3-0, getting it to 3-2 and then hitting a home run.

It seems Freddy's problem early on is control. With the temperature in the high 90s Freddy MUST get ahead of the hitters and then fool them with his change-up. He did it in Colorado. If he gets behind the hitters like he did against the Dodgers then we might find ourselves down a lot more than 2-0 in the first inning. I respect the ability of this team to come back in games but I'd rather Freddy not put the hitters in that position early on.

Ol' No. 2
06-24-2005, 12:18 PM
I'm, frankly, surprised that more pitchers don't have first-inning disease. You're getting your mechanics adjusted, you don't know the umpires strike zone yet, and while the muscles may be warm, the psyche takes more time.

doublem23
06-24-2005, 01:00 PM
Hopefully Dusty does us a favor and bats Patterson lead-off. There's your first out.

Iwritecode
06-24-2005, 01:16 PM
From the Tribune:

The team enters this weekend's series against the cross-town rival Cubs with a 56-28 run advantage through their first 71 games.

That means the Sox have scored 56 first inning runs compared to the Cubs 28. Mostly due to Scott getting on base and creating havoc with Iguchi at the plate. The full article is actually pretty good and tells how much he has meant to the Sox this year.

kittle545feet
06-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Freddie's first innings have been shakey lately and this is a huge concern of mine too.I know he has a tendency to settle down after the first but I think a change has to be made in the way he handles himself mentally at the beggining of the game. What AJ said is right. It seems to me he doesn't want to go out and over extend himself thinking he can get outs by making hitters swing at his pitches (pitches out of the zone, nibble pitches) instead of challenging hitters. I do think this is AJ's fault too. Make Freddie challenge from the first pitch on. When you have the kind of skills and pitches that Freddie has, you go at the hitters and if they beat you, at least they beat your good stuff. He has so much movement on his pitches that he can afford to challenge hitters. Just my opinion though.

kevingrt
06-24-2005, 02:19 PM
It's an afternoon game though, so he should be due for a win. And if CP leads off that's like one automatic K. I thnink Freddy will do fine today. This is a big game for the chity and I think he knows it. I'm expecting a win.

scottjanssens
06-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Freddie's first innings have been shakey lately and this is a huge concern of mine too.

This isn't a new phenomenon. He did the same in Seattle. Press and fans blamed his staying out too late and partying.

JB98
06-24-2005, 02:50 PM
This isn't a new phenomenon. He did the same in Seattle. Press and fans blamed his staying out too late and partying.

Heh heh. That's kind of funny. The press and fans must be stupid in Seattle. Using that logic, the hangover magically wears off in the dugout between the first and second innings every time. Somehow I doubt that's the case.

There are a lot of pitchers who struggle early. Hawk always says of good pitchers, "If you don't get him early, you might not get him at all." Once a good pitcher gets used to the mound, gets command of his pitches and gets in rhythm, chances are the offense is in for a long day.

Freddy is a strange pitcher. He sucks in first innings, but he's usually great from the second inning on. He rules in day games and struggles at night. He's 5-1 on the road, but tends to struggle at the Cell. There are a lot of identifiable trends with him, moreso than with most pitchers.

daveeym
06-24-2005, 02:56 PM
I'm, frankly, surprised that more pitchers don't have first-inning disease. You're getting your mechanics adjusted, you don't know the umpires strike zone yet, and while the muscles may be warm, the psyche takes more time. Yeah but same with the batters.

Rocky Soprano
06-24-2005, 03:10 PM
1-2-3 First Inning!

Unregistered
06-24-2005, 03:11 PM
1-2-3 First Inning!Yep. Doesn't get much easier than that one...

Jurr
06-24-2005, 03:20 PM
Yep. Doesn't get much easier than that one...
Well, then, I guess we don't have much to worry about the rest of the game!
:wink:

maurice
06-24-2005, 03:28 PM
His 2nd inning wasn't too shabby either.

Freddy so far: 6 outs, 0 hits, 0 walks, only 16 pitches.

TooStooopidToPost2
06-24-2005, 03:28 PM
yea Frank Thomas launched a homer!!!

miker
06-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Garcia gives up a homer and the place erupts...I thought this was a home game! :angry:

TooStooopidToPost2
06-24-2005, 05:07 PM
its 8-1 now