PDA

View Full Version : The 2005 White Sox That Could Have Been

Madvora
06-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Think about all of the rumors and possible changes to the White Sox in the last two years that could have happened. Some how, it seems like all of the choices were correct because this team right now is unbelieveble.
Remember these...?

- Rookie manager Ozzie Guillen hired over 2 time World Series Champion Cito Gaston.

- The cancelled trade involving Nomar and Maggs which would have sent Alex Rodriguez to the Red Sox.

- Maggs deciding not to accept the Sox contract offer.

- The decison to keep Chris Widger up on the team and send Ben "Million Dollar" Davis to the minors.

There's probably a ton more, but these are top of my head.
Add some if you've got any.

Baby Fisk
06-24-2005, 11:27 AM
trading for Garcia instead of hoping to sign him as a Free Agent
not holding on to future HOFer Jeremy Reed
no more Alomars
Podsednik for Lee (even Hangar has come around on this one)

Hangar18
06-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Kenny Rogers' ludicrous demand that he get 1 million more to play.
Who does he think he is? Like he couldve helped in 2003. or 2004.

fquaye149
06-24-2005, 11:32 AM

shut up. It was never about money. He preferred pitching for the twins, citing them as contenders and us as not. (he was right, although he would have made us contenders so whatever). Then he wanted to go nowhere else but Texas.

Hangar, come on. Is this so hard to understand. For goodness sake.

ChiSoxRowand
06-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Don't forget about Colon turining down our offer.

kevingrt
06-24-2005, 11:36 AM
shut up. It was never about money. He preferred pitching for the twins, citing them as contenders and us as not. (he was right, although he would have made us contenders so whatever). Then he wanted to go nowhere else but Texas.

Hangar, come on. Is this so hard to understand. For goodness sake.

He's pitching pretty damn well rite now though

nug0hs
06-24-2005, 11:36 AM
:bandance: Obviously, letting Billy Koch go is the main reason for our success :tongue:

The Critic
06-24-2005, 11:38 AM
PK to LA for Odalis Perez ( IIRC )?

Garland to Angels for Erstad
...sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make...

Madvora
06-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Correction - Garland for Erstad. That was two or three years ago, but Erstad was on the Sox until Anaheim cancelled it at the last minute.

Also a few years back, but still affecting this team - letting Lofton go and giving Aaron his chance out there.

fquaye149
06-24-2005, 11:40 AM
He's pitching pretty damn well rite now though

yes. he's a very good pitcher. so is roger clemens.

should we be mourning Kenny's "failure" to sign him in 2004?

The Critic
06-24-2005, 11:42 AM
Correction - Garland for Erstad. That was two or three years ago, but Erstad was on the Sox until Anaheim cancelled it at the last minute.

Also a few years back, but still affecting this team - letting Lofton go and giving Aaron his chance out there.

What's the correction? I said "Garland for Erstad"....:?:

Malgar 12
06-24-2005, 11:43 AM
You guys realize that this can essentially become an infinte regression back to 1901, right?:wink:

Madvora
06-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Roger Clemens. He was out there. In 1997 he went to the Blue Jays, in 1999 when he went to the Yankees. I think the Sox thought he was washed up. Well, he's still playing. What if he was on the team from then until now?
I got to get back on track though.

Madvora
06-24-2005, 11:45 AM
What's the correction? I said "Garland for Erstad"....:?:

Correction to my own post. I thought it was Paulie at first.

The Critic
06-24-2005, 11:47 AM
Correction to my own post. I thought it was Paulie at first.

Oh, OK, cool. Thought I lost my mind for a second.....:redneck

The Critic
06-24-2005, 11:48 AM
You guys realize that this can essentially become an infinte regression back to 1901, right?:wink:

....well, probably only back to 1918, really.....:D:

lowesox
06-24-2005, 12:11 PM
not holding on to future HOFer Jeremy Reed

Just out of curiosity, why is it that everybody on WSI is so sure that Reed is going to be a bust? Isn't it fair to leave a player some time to get used to being in the big leagues?

I, for one, still think he's going to be good.

SoxSpeed22
06-24-2005, 12:15 PM
Signing AJ, Hermie, Iguchi, Shingo, El Duque.
Trading for Contreras instead of keeping Loaiza and lettin' him walk after the year.
Signing Matt Clement.
Signing Omar Vizquel.
Not trading Aaron Miles for Juan Uribe.
:bandance::bandance:(Not using my 400th post on this topic.):bandance::bandance:
That's all I got that's new and that relates to the past 2 years.

Baby Fisk
06-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Just out of curiosity, why is it that everybody on WSI is so sure that Reed is going to be a bust? Isn't it fair to leave a player some time to get used to being in the big leagues?

It was the level of hysteria over losing Reed created by one particular poster that made this a subject of such scorn and sarcasm.

fquaye149
06-24-2005, 12:17 PM

The point is that many posters here (Jeremyb1, dadawg) ripped Kenny a new one for trading Reed, making him out to be a future star.

No one's saying he won't be fine, won't be better than the numbers he's putting up right now. He probably will. Who knows.

But many took issue with the devotion to Reed (for instance the Jeremy Reed watch in a certain like-named poster's signature).

He will be good, I'm sure, but probably not a hall of famer, probably not even an all star. Is that so hard to believe?

The burden of proof is on HIM

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-24-2005, 12:24 PM
Omar Vizquel sounded like a done deal to the White Sox, but then the Giants offered him a 3rd year and caused Kenny to go to "plan B" which turned out to be Iguchi. Good thing that happened! :)

White Sox Josh
06-24-2005, 03:00 PM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this:

RJ not being traded to the Sox for Konerko and Garland.
Jaret Wright was close to signing with the Sox however the Yankees came in at the last minute and he went to the Yankees.
The Podsednik-Lee trade almost never happened.

Chisox003
06-24-2005, 03:05 PM

Whyyyyyyyyyyy

:chickenlittle