PDA

View Full Version : I just thought I'd share this with you....

TornLabrum
06-24-2005, 10:35 AM
Before I head out in an hour or two, I just had to share this email I received from a reader of the "Fallen Arches" column that has been up for the past couple of weeks. My response, btw, was (and I quote): "ROTFLMAO!"

Hal:

In regards to your dismay over the coverage of the Red Sox- Cub match.

Just get over it. Enjoy your team and bask in the glory of having the best record (so far) in baseball. When the sox win and the weather is nice the fans will show up. As far as the media goes, Victory has a thousad fathers, defeat is an orphan. I.E. when you win ,you will get the Ink. Whether you like it or not, the Cubs are a following. Just like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cardinals, thats why it's not just Cub Fans it is CUB NATION. The cubs have almost more people that show up on the road in attendence than the sox have that show up at the cell. Once again, get over it

Also, The cell is a nicer park. It should be, it has been remodled 6 times since 1991.

Sincerely,

The Truth

Have at it!

RKMeibalane
06-24-2005, 10:38 AM
There's just one small problem with The Truth's scenario: the Cubs are not a winning organization, and never have been. Why he felt compelled to group them in with the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cardinals is beyond me.

Baby Fisk
06-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Maybe Joe Mock (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49116&highlight=joe+mock) is a dedicated reader of your column. :rolleyes:

TornLabrum
06-24-2005, 10:39 AM
There's just one small problem with The Truth's scenario: the Cubs are not a winning organization, and never have been. Why he felt compelled to group them in with the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cardinals is beyond me.

That and the "CUBS NATION" part were the reasons for my response.

The Racehorse
06-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Hal:

In regards to your dismay over the coverage of the Red Sox- Cub match.

Just get over it. Enjoy your team and bask in the glory of having the best record (so far) in baseball. When the sox win and the weather is nice the fans will show up. As far as the media goes, Victory has a thousad fathers, defeat is an orphan. I.E. when you win ,you will get the Ink. Whether you like it or not, the Cubs are a following. Just like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, and Cardinals, thats why it's not just Cub Fans it is CUB NATION. The cubs have almost more people that show up on the road in attendence than the sox have that show up at the cell. Once again, get over it

Also, The cell is a nicer park. It should be, it has been remodled 6 times since 1991.

Sincerely,

The Truth

The e-mailer comes across as an arrogant Flub fan thinking they're the voice of reason.

Hangar18
06-24-2005, 10:43 AM

HAHAHHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I love how Cub fans in the last few years, have lumped themselves
with the Yankees, RedSox,Dodgers and Cardinals. This is a group
of "fans" that are imbeciles.
the REAL truth

Hitmen77
06-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Before I head out in an hour or two, I just had to share this email I received from a reader of the "Fallen Arches" column that has been up for the past couple of weeks. My response, btw, was (and I quote): "ROTFLMAO!"

Have at it!

He's an idiot. Who cares what he thinks?

By the way, it looks like TornLabrum is closing in on 5,000 posts!

Dick Allen
06-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Labrum, tell this knucklehead that maybe in his next life, he'll be endowed with a brain.

Church Turtle
06-24-2005, 11:19 AM
I disapprove of the term " (insert team name) NATION". I think it's stupid.
Our local TV sports yahoo referred to the fans of one of the local high school football teams as "Blueboy Nation" this last year. IT'S HIGH SCHOOL!!!! THEY'RE FROM A TOWN OF UNDER 3000!!!
And not only is it misused by local sports dudes, it's misused on a grander scale by boneheads who, I guess, are trying to make their loyalty to a particular team seem more important than it really is.
I'm a SOX fan. I laid out in the hammock in the back yard and listened intently to Monday night's game with KC on my wind-up radio and was feasted on by the rotten west-nile carrying mosquitoes because we live where WCIU is not available, but I am not part of a SOX nation. I pledge my allegiance to One Nation, Under God, Indivisble, with Liberty and Justice For All. ("All" even idiots that believe they belong to some other nation based on their loyalty to a sports team.)
<the turtle steps down off the soap box>

Brian26
06-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Comparing the Chicago Cubs organization to the Red Sox in any way in regards to futility is the biggest joke that has been perpetrated in sports over the past few years. The Cubs, for most of their existence, have been as generally successful as the Tampa Ray Devil Rays in their short existence. Yes, they've come close a few times in the last 20 years at winning a playoff series or two, but generally they have been terrible (which is very important considering their financial resources over the years). Compare this with the Boston Red Sox, a franchise rich in history with numerous American League pennants and AL East titles. The Red Sox have annually fielded exceptional teams that have contended for a title. Until last year, neither team had won a World Series in a long time, but that comparison is like comparing me to the guy who came in 2nd at the Indianapolis 500. Neither of us won....so we have that in common, but that's where the comparison stops. I wasn't even in the race.

And if the Tampa Bay Devil Rays played at Wrigley Field, anyone want to guess the attendance figures?

maurice
06-24-2005, 12:27 PM
I'm sure the cubs had lots of fans at their games in Milwaukee. Then again, the Sox had so many fans in Denver and San Diego that they drowned out the home fans. (Oddly enough, the Chicago media actually reported on this fact.) Explain how a 2-hour car ride shows more dedication than a 5-hour flight, Mrs. "Truth"?

doublem23
06-24-2005, 12:48 PM
Comparing the Chicago Cubs organization to the Red Sox in any way in regards to futility is the biggest joke that has been perpetrated in sports over the past few years. The Cubs, for most of their existence, have been as generally successful as the Tampa Ray Devil Rays in their short existence. Yes, they've come close a few times in the last 20 years at winning a playoff series or two, but generally they have been terrible (which is very important considering their financial resources over the years). Compare this with the Boston Red Sox, a franchise rich in history with numerous American League pennants and AL East titles. The Red Sox have annually fielded exceptional teams that have contended for a title. Until last year, neither team had won a World Series in a long time, but that comparison is like comparing me to the guy who came in 2nd at the Indianapolis 500. Neither of us won....so we have that in common, but that's where the comparison stops. I wasn't even in the race.

And if the Tampa Bay Devil Rays played at Wrigley Field, anyone want to guess the attendance figures?

Too long to be the post of the week, so you get Paragraph of the Week!

moochpuppy
06-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Did Forest Hospital have another break out?

RKMeibalane
06-24-2005, 12:53 PM

Long time no see. Good to see you back here.

mccoydp
06-24-2005, 12:57 PM
"The Truth" needs to whip out a dictionary, or use spell check at least. I've seen "Hooked on Phonics" still available on TV, too.

RavenswoodFan
06-24-2005, 01:00 PM
What a moron......
I agree that when Flubs fans lump themselves with the likes of the Yankmes and the BOSox they truly show the total lack of reality! I'm so sick of these so called Cub fans that don't even know one thing about baseball!
I just worked with this girl who told me she was going to go in on Cub season tickets next year. Heres the funny part. She told me this after over hearing me on the phone talking to one of my buddys about going to the game tomorrow. She first asked me if the Cubs were in town this weekend and then when I told her that yes they were in town PLAYING THE WHITE SOX, she asked "At Wrigley"? Me: No at The Cell. Her: Oh what day are they playing?
Me: UGH!!!!!!!:mad:
Just goes to show ya what kind of so called "NATION" the Cubs have!
A bunch of no nothing, drunken idiots!

moochpuppy
06-24-2005, 01:19 PM
Long time no see. Good to see you back here.

Good to be back. :smile:

Iwritecode
06-24-2005, 01:20 PM
How come I haven't seen this guys email address posted yet? I'm sure plenty of members are dying to respond to him personally.

Or is that against WSI policy?

Iwritecode
06-24-2005, 01:22 PM
Good to be back. :smile:

There's a sight for sore eyes. :o:

Where have you been?

cheeses_h_rice
06-24-2005, 01:22 PM
What a moron......

Just goes to show ya what kind of so called "NATION" the Cubs have!
A bunch of no nothing, drunken idiots!

.....err, I think you mean "know nothing."

:redface:

moochpuppy
06-24-2005, 01:32 PM
There's a sight for sore eyes. :o:

Where have you been?

Here and there. Certainly don't get as much online time as I used to. Our offices moved and I no longer have my own and now work from a cube. God, I miss my door. :whiner:

I have been watching the Sox as much as possible and have a daily record update outside my cube for all my Twin fan co-workers to see. :redneck

Good to "see" you IWC!

RavenswoodFan
06-24-2005, 01:43 PM
.....err, I think you mean "know nothing."

:redface: Doh! :redface: Got a little passionate in my post and forgot how to spell!
See you at the game!

kittle545feet
06-24-2005, 01:52 PM
The email from "the idiot" ,err um I mean "the truth" is a perfect example of the differences between the fans and teams. To us, its all about winning. To them, its all about attendance. They all seem to live under the self-important notion that they can be included in the baseball elite category because people go to that craphole called a stadium. Lordy, am I proud to be a Sox fan. Let's jam it where the sun don't shine this weekend and break it off! I hope to see the Cubs 2 games under .500 by the Monday morning papers.

voodoochile
06-24-2005, 09:29 PM

holy crap, it's a moochpuppy siting... I thought he was long gone...

welcome back, mooch...:cool:

FarWestChicago
06-24-2005, 09:33 PM
Did Forest Hospital have another break out?:thud:

TaylorStSox
06-24-2005, 09:37 PM
I don't know. I thought it was pretty fair. He gives credit where it's due. The Cubs Nation crap is overboard but he is a Cubs fan. Delusions of Grandeur? Yes. A somewhat fair assessment from a biased Cubs fan? I think so.

voodoochile
06-24-2005, 09:38 PM
I don't know. I thought it was pretty fair. He gives credit where it's due. The Cubs Nation crap is overboard but he is a Cubs fan. Delusions of Grandeur? Yes. A somewhat fair assessment from a biased Cubs fan? I think so.

*****!

so if you are delusional, it makes sense? :rolleyes:

TaylorStSox
06-24-2005, 09:44 PM
*****!

so if you are delusional, it makes sense? :rolleyes:

Well, he has a false sense of self worth regarding his team. With that said, he gives credit to us for having a good season. I don't think it's as bad as people are saying. Delusions of grandeur doesn't necassarily make one completely delusional.

bigfoot
06-25-2005, 08:17 AM
"The Truth"=Tom Cruise?

Vernam
06-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Wait . . . You're saying the Tampa Bay Devil Rays don't play at Wrigley? Who the heck are those guys, then?!

My current favorite part of the Sox dream season is to count the callers on WMVP and WSCR who say, "I've always been a fan of both teams, and these Sox are just so exciting blah blah," then they proceed to make comments that reveal they've never followed the Sox. There are many differences between US and THEM, but the biggest is that we'd never, ever root for THEM. It's called pride.

VC

moochpuppy
06-27-2005, 02:14 PM
:thud:

Have I really been gone that long?

skobabe8
06-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Maybe Joe Mock (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49116&highlight=joe+mock) is a dedicated reader of your column. :rolleyes:

Ah, the memories....:D:

TornLabrum
06-27-2005, 04:02 PM
How come I haven't seen this guys email address posted yet? I'm sure plenty of members are dying to respond to him personally.

Or is that against WSI policy?

I don't know if it's WSI policy, but it's my policy.

gosox3072
06-28-2005, 01:30 AM
Our local TV sports yahoo referred to the fans of one of the local high school football teams as "Blueboy Nation" this last year. IT'S HIGH SCHOOL!!!! THEY'RE FROM A TOWN OF UNDER 3000!!!
>
Carthage Illinois perhaps? ......errrr i hate the blueboys!!:D:

Nellie_Fox
06-28-2005, 01:42 AM
Have I really been gone that long?Six months. Welcome back mooch.