PDA

View Full Version : Would series win change intensity?

veeter
06-24-2005, 10:59 AM
If and when the Sox win the world championship, would your passion decrease? Or would it remain, feeling the need for them to repeat. I would feel proud and relieved. A dynasty though, is what I want. Not that I want to get ahead of myself or anything.

doublem23
06-24-2005, 11:00 AM
I'll want to win it the next year.

Though, I can't even begin to fathom what that would feel like... I can't even imagine it. I'll just have to live it (hopefully) to find out.

Madvora
06-24-2005, 11:05 AM

Though, I can't even begin to fathom what that would feel like... I can't even imagine it. I'll just have to live it (hopefully) to find out.

I agree with you. I think about what that would feel like evey year, but only occasionally do you have the chance to really consider it.

dividedsk717
06-24-2005, 11:05 AM
If and when the Sox win the world championship would your passion decrease? Or would it remain feeling the need for them to repeat. I would feel proud and relieved. A dynasty though, is what I want. Not that I want to get ahead of myself or anything.

The passion wouldn't decrease. Whenever they field a competitive team, I fully expect the Sox to win, and I'm not pleased when they don't (because I don't like losing). So, I feel the need for them to win every year they're competitive regardless of past history.

I only have a decreased passion when I know they can't win ... much like I do with other sports teams, and seemingly millions of other fans of other teams with exception of the Cubs fans.

scottjanssens
06-24-2005, 11:06 AM
I'm a Buccaneers fan and them winning the Super Bowl a few years back did nothing to diminish my passion for the game. Although the subsequent seasons have diminished my passion for Jon Gruden.

What about the Bears fans here? Less passion in '86? Somehow I doubt it.

Baby Fisk
06-24-2005, 11:13 AM
If and when the Sox win the world championship
Just seeing that combination of words sent a chill through me. I have no idea what it will feel like. Nothing will ever be the same again. Nothing will ever hurt us again...

...that is, until Hangar bravely fights off his post-championship hangover and manages to post a report on the scandalous coverage in the Chicago media the next day...:cool:

kevingrt
06-24-2005, 11:50 AM
I don't think my intensity would change at all during games or anything, but I defiantly would feel more relaxed during the off-season and during offdays. I wouldn't say that killer desire would be gone, but I would be more comfortable in life.

anewman35
06-24-2005, 11:54 AM
If and when the Sox win the world championship, would your passion decrease? Or would it remain, feeling the need for them to repeat. I would feel proud and relieved. A dynasty though, is what I want. Not that I want to get ahead of myself or anything.

I think I'd be a little less tense about the whole thing. I'd still want the White Sox to win, but (for at least a few years) I'd deal with losses a lot better, because we'd have gotten our win, so I could relax some.

NonetheLoaiza
06-24-2005, 12:12 PM
I believe it was in the Mighty Ducks Part 2, where it was said, "You chug some water, and you get back out there and do it again!"

If the Sox won the Series, I'm looking for a minimum 8-peat...

The Racehorse
06-24-2005, 12:36 PM
For me, my passion for the SOX mirrors my golf-game.

1. On the links, I have fun despite being a legit 36-handicapper... but it doesn't mean I don't bear-down on each shot.

2. Rooting for the SOX is a blast, though they're more important things in life... but when the game is on, the SOX have my undivided attention.

WS or not, I always want to see my favorite team play well & WIN! :cool:

Brian26
06-24-2005, 12:38 PM

I was thinking about this last night. I can't even imagine what a release it would be if the Sox win the World Series. I think I would just break down in tears and sob in front of my television. Or maybe I would run down the street cheering.

Iwritecode
06-24-2005, 12:45 PM
I think Fenway would be the WSI member best suited to answer this question...

Jurr
06-24-2005, 04:23 PM
I was thinking about this last night. I can't even imagine what a release it would be if the Sox win the World Series. I think I would just break down in tears and sob in front of my television. Or maybe I would run down the street cheering.
Exactly, man! Just go with what you feel when (fingers crossed) it happens.

GregoryEtc
06-24-2005, 04:32 PM
I could die happy with one championship. I told my wife recently that I wouldn't care if the league disbanded the following spring. I'd trade a couple appendages for ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP!

zach074
06-24-2005, 06:16 PM
I don't know what it would be like the year after a world series win, but i am willing to see what its like.

davenicholson
06-24-2005, 06:49 PM
I'm a Buccaneers fan and them winning the Super Bowl a few years back did nothing to diminish my passion for the game. Although the subsequent seasons have diminished my passion for Jon Gruden.

This is really a very good thread. Actually, after the Bears won it all in `85 (OK, actually `86 :smile: ) , I did have a reduction in my passion. I was (and am) still a Bears fan. I was so drunk that I hardly remember the second half of Super Bowl XX, but I do recall a kind of letdown, days past where it could have been attributed to a hangover. It brought to mind the old Peggy Lee song, Is That All There Is?

And when I was 12 years old, my father took me to the circus, the greatest show on earth.
There were clowns and elephants and dancing bears
And a beautiful lady in pink tights flew high above our heads.
And as I sat there watching the marvelous spectacle
I had the feeling that something was missing.
I don't know what, but when it was over,
I said to myself, "Is that all there is to a circus?"
But I would love to be singing in October: "Is that all there is to a White Sox World Series Win?" I'd most definitely break out the booze and have a ball! :gulp:

owensmouth
06-24-2005, 06:57 PM
Just seeing that combination of words sent a chill through me. I have no idea what it will feel like. Nothing will ever be the same again. Nothing will ever hurt us again...

...that is, until Hangar bravely fights off his post-championship hangover and manages to post a report on the scandalous coverage in the Chicago media the next day...:cool:

And Lip writing some complementary comments about Reinsdorf...

downstairs
06-24-2005, 07:18 PM

Oh, yeah.... the '86 Bears... almost forgot about them.

Ha! Ha, Ha, Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!Ha!