PDA

View Full Version : Everett/Thomas in 20 likely on the block

scottjanssens
06-24-2005, 10:35 AM
Both Everett and Thomas made CNN/SI.com list of twenty most likely players to be traded. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/06/23/trade.market/content.1.html

Yanks, Cubs, and Orioles are listed in the market for Everett, and no one is listed in the market for Thomas.

Thomas would have to go to an AL team and to a contender. A team looking to the future has no need for Thomas. I don't think it's possible to make a deal so good for the Sox that it would justify putting Thomas on a team you might face in the playoffs. And that's not even going into the inevitable fan fallout.

There's a good chance that if KW makes a deal it will include Everett. I'm not sure it will be with the teams listed though.

NonetheLoaiza
06-24-2005, 10:58 AM
After Frank has displayed what he can do so far, I find it hard to believe that they would trade him. Especially when he is the face of the organization and the one who most deserves what comes out of this season. Plus, national rumor mills are for me to poop on, so to speak.

RKMeibalane
06-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Neither Thomas or Everett is going anywhere this season. Frank is still this team's best hitter, and his presence in the middle of the lineup would be sorely missed if he were dealt. Besides, as long as Thomas remains an injury risk, the Sox can't risk trading Everett and being left with nothing if Frank goes down again.

By the same token, Everett has done an excellent job providing power and run-production for the Sox this season. He has been one of the team's best clutch-hitters, and his ability to play either corner outfield spot has allowed Ozzie to rest Pods and Dye occasionally. Add to that the fact that he's a switch-hitter, and it's not hard to see what he brings to this team.

I reiterate that neither player will be moved. The Sox will need both of them to win this thing.

Baby Fisk
06-24-2005, 11:08 AM
Anyone who suggests Frank in a trade is:

a) still not paying attention to the Sox
b) lazy and making it up as he goes along
c) out of his mind

Did you see that uniform Joe Kennedy is wearing? The Rockies have about a half dozen "alternate" uniform combinations and they all suck.

doublem23
06-24-2005, 11:08 AM
I can really see the Sox unloading Carl Everett to a contender for some prospects... Can't win every year, guys.

:rolleyes:

scottjanssens
06-24-2005, 11:10 AM
I'd be surprised if either were traded. If Everett was the difference in improving the pitching staff, either starter or bullpen, then I'm pretty sure KW would send him. That's about the only instance I can think of and even then it would have to result in a significant upgrade in pitching. I don't think that's very likely to happen. By that I mean it would be a blockbuster trade, and I don't see one happening.

Flight #24
06-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Neither Thomas or Everett is going anywhere this season. Frank is still this team's best hitter, and his presence in the middle of the lineup would be sorely missed if he were dealt. Besides, as long as Thomas remains an injury risk, the Sox can't risk trading Everett and being left with nothing if Frank goes down again.

By the same token, Everett has done an excellent job providing power and run-production for the Sox this season. He has been one of the team's best clutch-hitters, and his ability to play either corner outfield spot has allowed Ozzie to rest Pods and Dye occasionally. Add to that the fact that he's a switch-hitter, and it's not hard to see what he brings to this team.

I reiterate that neither player will be moved. The Sox will need both of them to win this thing.

Not to mention that Frank has a)10-5 rights ensuring that he only goes if & where HE wants to, and b)has his $12mil team option vest if he's traded. And there's that pesky HR-every-6-ABs thing, and the 500-HR thing, and that meaningless 1.000 OPS.

Everett could get dealt, but as long as Ozzie's lineup juggling keeps working, I don't see anything happening. It is nice to see how the first guy congratulating Everett or Frank is usually the other even though they share time. It's working in the clubhouse & on the field, so it won't change. Unless they need to use Everett to make some deal and dramatically upgrade another position (although what that would be I can't fathom).

scottjanssens
06-24-2005, 11:13 AM
I can really see the Sox unloading Carl Everett to a contender for some prospects... Can't win every year, guys.

It would have to be to a contender. Everett's what 34, 35? Who needs an outfield or DH to put them over the top? That's a serious question. Is there anyone?

scottjanssens
06-24-2005, 11:15 AM
It is nice to see how the first guy congratulating Everett or Frank is usually the other even though they share time.

Did you see Frank in the highlights after A.J.'s walkoff last Saturday? He looked like a six-year-old on Christmas morning. It was great to see.

The Dude
06-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Both Everett and Thomas made CNN/SI.com list of twenty most likely players to be traded. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/06/23/trade.market/content.1.html

Yanks, Cubs, and Orioles are listed in the market for Everett, and no one is listed in the market for Thomas.

Thomas would have to go to an AL team and to a contender. A team looking to the future has no need for Thomas. I don't think it's possible to make a deal so good for the Sox that it would justify putting Thomas on a team you might face in the playoffs. And that's not even going into the inevitable fan fallout.

There's a good chance that if KW makes a deal it will include Everett. I'm not sure it will be with the teams listed though.

Funny how just about everone on the trade block has possible interest from the Flubs!

Baby Fisk
06-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Did you see Frank in the highlights after A.J.'s walkoff last Saturday? He looked like a six-year-old on Christmas morning. It was great to see.
Looking at the replays (over and over!), it looked like someone almost clotheslined Pierzynski before he could touch home plate. THAT was a show of excitement. :bandance:

MrRoboto83
06-24-2005, 11:26 AM

yeah right, the Flubs try to get Everett, he might just implode The Urinal himself, no way Crazy Carl would ever play for the Flubs.

daveeym
06-24-2005, 12:31 PM
Funny how just about everone on the trade block has possible interest from the Flubs!AKA "Way too many holes to fill."

mjharrison72
06-24-2005, 12:55 PM

The other thing worth mentioning is it sounds like Everett has emerged as one of the leaders in the clubhouse. I know you can't NOT make any trades just to preserve the "clubhouse chemistry" (you wanna make an omelet...), but I think this would also be a consideration. Everett, with a healthy Frank, is clearly a crucial 10th man on this team, and I would be surprised to see either of them going anywhere.

Ol' No. 2
06-24-2005, 01:35 PM

There's a good chance that if KW makes a deal it will include Everett. I'm not sure it will be with the teams listed though.This is ridiculous. Only a contender would be interested and why would you trade one of these guys to someone you're competing against? It's remotely possible that Everett could be traded to a NL team, but not likely.

scottjanssens
06-24-2005, 01:46 PM
This is ridiculous. Only a contender would be interested and why would you trade one of these guys to someone you're competing against? It's remotely possible that Everett could be traded to a NL team, but not likely.

I'm assuming you're responding to the link...

fquaye149
06-24-2005, 01:46 PM
that list was filth.

for instance: it said everett was a right handed bat.

that's only half the story, SI

DickAllen72
06-24-2005, 08:17 PM

Plus, he's become a clubhouse leader and is a major component of the team's positive chemistry.

You are correct, Sir!

MIgrenade
06-24-2005, 09:52 PM
I'd be surprised if either were traded. If Everett was the difference in improving the pitching staff, either starter or bullpen, then I'm pretty sure KW would send him. That's about the only instance I can think of and even then it would have to result in a significant upgrade in pitching. I don't think that's very likely to happen. By that I mean it would be a blockbuster trade, and I don't see one happening.

I agree with this. I don't see KW trading either for prospects this season. That's what losing teams do. If they are going to make a trade it will be for a useful player this year. That probably means a blockbuster trade, which I too, don't see happening.

Banix12
06-24-2005, 09:53 PM
The other thing worth mentioning is it sounds like Everett has emerged as one of the leaders in the clubhouse. I know you can't NOT make any trades just to preserve the "clubhouse chemistry" (you wanna make an omelet...), but I think this would also be a consideration. Everett, with a healthy Frank, is clearly a crucial 10th man on this team, and I would be surprised to see either of them going anywhere.

Exactly. I would also add that Everett knew that Thomas would return and there would be playing time issues before the season started and yet he still enacted his players option on his contract knowing this would be so. For all the media hype about friction about playing time at the DH spot, I haven't seen any real evidence of it.

It seems to me the guy who has really lost playing time due to the return of Thomas has been Timo Perez in the OF, now that they have Everett rotating as a backup. that's fine by me.

Tragg
06-24-2005, 10:29 PM
It would have to be to a contender. Everett's what 34, 35? Who needs an outfield or DH to put them over the top? That's a serious question. Is there anyone?
Plenty of teams need a good bench bat. Now that I think about it WE need a good bench bat. No reason to trade either one.

TomBradley72
06-25-2005, 01:03 AM

Big mistake! Dye has a history of injury. So does Thomas. So does Rowand. So does Everett. We need the insurance....

TheOldRoman
06-25-2005, 03:37 AM

:tealpolice:

KW wont trade Carl unless a team comes to him offerring a lot for Carl. That isn't very likely. Carl has been big on this team so far, but he will be HUGE in the playoffs. How many GMs would kill for a clutch switch hitting bat with power coming off the bench late in the games? KW knows how valuable Carl is, and he wont unload him unless someone approaches him with trade for a good player who would help our big league ballclub today (Oswalt for Everett?) KW wants to win it all this year, and unless he is getting a player who fills a need on our team (what needs?) he wont trade Carl.

TheOldRoman
06-25-2005, 03:38 AM
Big mistake! Dye has a history of injury. So does Thomas. So does Rowand. So does Everett. We need the insurance....
Yeah, Rowand really has a "history" of getting into dirtbike accidents.:kukoo:

shoota
06-25-2005, 04:37 AM

More than the suggestion that Frank and Carl might be traded, I was disturbed at SI expecting me to sift through 20 pages to see all 20 players. One player per page, SI? Get real. I stopped at page 2.

Banix12
06-25-2005, 05:56 AM
More than the suggestion that Frank and Carl might be traded, I was disturbed at SI expecting me to sift through 20 pages to see all 20 players. One player per page, SI? Get real. I stopped at page 2.

no kidding, it's hell on me since I don't have broadband. i took one look at page one and gave up.

Fredsox
06-25-2005, 07:44 AM
This is semi-goofy. It isn't about trading this guy or that guy off the team, it's about GETTING someone who will help you win the world series and what it will cost you to get that player.

Frankly (no pun intended) I would not think that either Thomas or Everett or any other contributor is a candidate to be moved unless it represents a direct conflict with who they're trying to acquire (example: acquiring Joe Randa would mean Crede would go). I would suggest that KW will use minor league prospects as his primary trade pool and throw in major league players to make roster room.

Deadguy
06-25-2005, 08:16 AM
Neither, is, or should be traded. The only reason a trade would be necessary is if the presence of both of them on the roster caused turmoil that correlated into a negative effect on the Sox winning percentage. That obviously hasn't happened, so what's the point?

The only stat that really matters in the number in the win column, and the presence of Thomas has only made a great team better.

Brian26
06-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Everett is not going anywhere. He's more valuable to the Sox right now as insurance than what could be obtained for him in a trade.

Tragg
06-25-2005, 01:53 PM
(example: acquiring Joe Randa would mean Crede would go). I would suggest that KW will use minor league prospects as his primary trade pool and throw in major league players to make roster room.
I hope the Sox are foolish enough to do that (or at least get the pitchers' approval first).

I am of the belief that the best way to win the WS is to give yourself sufficient chances TO win the WS. I am also not a fan of mid-year deals UNLESS they are geared toward the long-term (signing Garcia, e.g.) or if you get a rental on the cheap (which we never do; we give them away cheap, but somehow never rent cheap). We will need our top prospects to improve the team for the next few years, giving ourselves more chances. Dye, El D and maybe contreras are stop-gaps. If Sweeney/Anderson can fill a corner outfield spot, that's more money to spend on a top-level player.

Let's hope that El D can get healthy so we don't have to waste anything on a fifth starter, who will NOT help us win the WS. I think we're pretty much a lock to make the playoffs (we could fold I guess, but I doubt it). If we trade for a pitcher, make it one better than MB/Garland/Garcia. I don't see any available (Oswalt talk is ridiculous -the guy is a top-level starter and would and should cost much more than Garcia did; and the Astros aren't anywhere close to being out of the race, either).

Randa for Crede hurts our D and provides no long-term solution to our problem (and knowing our trading history, we'd throw good prospect into that deal as well). And Randa isn't that great anyway.

StockdaleForVeep
06-25-2005, 02:03 PM
Carl hasnt played a full season with us yet and this is his second time on the team, 3rd times a charm?