PDA

View Full Version : Sad State of a ballpark

MrRoboto83
06-24-2005, 08:36 AM
This is article is a few years old about Tiger Stadium, but the ballpark still stands. Is this something the City of Chicago would of been dealing with if they left Old Comisky standing? Looking at the pictures on both of these sites makes me sad to see such a historical structure in ruins.

http://www.detnews.com/2003/tigers/0306/23/a01-199828.htm

http://www.tigerstadium.org/

Hitmen77
06-24-2005, 09:29 AM
Sounds like the Tigers are running into the same problem the Sox did - They replaced a crumbling old stadium that was sparsely attended and got little respect while it was open with a new stadium that is arguably a great improvement and people suddenly say they miss the old park and wish it were still around.

Interesting online survey in your Detroit News link - 69% of respondents would rather see Comerica Park torn down. It's a good thing the Detroit media isn't dominated by fans of another team (as it is in Chicago), otherwise they'd really run the new park's reputation into the ground!

MrRoboto83
06-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Sounds like the Tigers are running into the same problem the Sox did - They replaced a crumbling old stadium that was sparsely attended and got little respect while it was open with a new stadium that is arguably a great improvement and people suddenly say they miss the old park and wish it were still around.

Interesting online survey in your Detroit News link - 69% of respondents would rather see Comerica Park torn down. It's a good thing the Detroit media isn't dominated by fans of another team (as it is in Chicago), otherwise they'd really run the new park's reputation into the ground!

I have never been to either park, but from the pictures, the Tigers have a nice new ballpark in Comerica. Tiger Stadium is just a sad state of affairs. The City of Detroit must be a bunch of idiots, it sounds like they have had numerous offers for Tiger Stadium, but they just won't let it go and now they just want to tear it down, makes no sense.

Flight #24
06-24-2005, 11:41 AM
FWIW, Comerica is actually a pretty nice park. The only problem is the location sucks - i.e. it's in Detroit.

The Dude
06-24-2005, 12:04 PM
FWIW, Comerica is actually a pretty nice park. The only problem is the location sucks - i.e. it's in Detroit.

Ahh yes Detroit....the armpit of America.

MUsoxfan
06-24-2005, 03:18 PM
That pic of an empty Tiger Stadium is the most depressing picture I've seen in a long time. Thank God the Sox didn't keep Comiskey up for years after closing it. It would break my heart to see it look even a little bit like Tiger Stadium looks like now.

Banix12
06-24-2005, 06:28 PM
I went to Tiger stadium during the last season the Tigers played there. Interesting place to see but quite possibly the most uncomfortable stadium I have ever sat in. I'm surprised it is still standing. It should have been torn down right after they left it.

VivaOzzie
06-24-2005, 07:02 PM
I have never been to either park, but from the pictures, the Tigers have a nice new ballpark in Comerica. Tiger Stadium is just a sad state of affairs. The City of Detroit must be a bunch of idiots, it sounds like they have had numerous offers for Tiger Stadium, but they just won't let it go and now they just want to tear it down, makes no sense.

They are, believe me. Half the city is burnt down, and have you seen the MAYOR OF DETROIT?!?! His name is Kwame Kilpatrick, and he looks like he is one of Eminem's bodyguards.

ChiSoxRowand
06-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Wow, I didn't even know Tiger Stadium was still there. That would be cool if they still gave tours, I would like to see Tiger Stadium.

whtsx1959
06-24-2005, 07:29 PM
Once the stadium is slated for the wrecking ball, I would love to see the Tigers play a farewell game there, but it would probably cost so much just to make the field playable.

MrRoboto83
06-24-2005, 10:36 PM
They are, believe me. Half the city is burnt down, and have you seen the MAYOR OF DETROIT?!?! His name is Kwame Kilpatrick, and he looks like he is one of Eminem's bodyguards.

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/mayor/images/newmayorphoto.jpg
"Hey Detroit, Lets Burn Down Tiger Stadium"

WagMan
06-25-2005, 12:37 AM
I made the trip to Detroit last year to catch a Sox/Tigers game at Comerica and saw the old stadium was still up as I left. I was surprised because I figured it suffered the same fate as old Comiskey once it was vacated. It'd be cool if they still ran tours through there.

I do have to say that of the 9 ballparks I've been to in the past couple of years, Comerica was the best. But, as mentioned earlier, it's in Detroit. The hotel I was staying at was a mile or so from the park and we walked it. It was okay going there while it was still bright. But, that walk home? I would have rather been anywhere but there at that moment.

TomBradley72
06-25-2005, 01:00 AM
Went to two Sox games at Comerica this past April....it's a great park....you can walk around and explore it for hours....the huge tigers look very cool....and it's bringing the immediate neighborhood around it back to life...we hit a few cool bars on the walk back to the Marriott. Nor sure why Detroiters would hate it.

Viva Medias B's
06-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Compared to other stadiums after their teams left, Tiger Stadium still looks like she's in relatively good shape. Here is an example. When the Phillies abandoned Shibe Park, the place stood for several years afterward during which time a fire gutted the grandstand and small trees began growing on the field. In a book called Lost Ballparks, it shows former Phillie Tony Taylor standing at second base next to a tree.

Fenway
07-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Compared to other stadiums after their teams left, Tiger Stadium still looks like she's in relatively good shape. Here is an example. When the Phillies abandoned Shibe Park, the place stood for several years afterward during which time a fire gutted the grandstand and small trees began growing on the field. In a book called Lost Ballparks, it shows former Phillie Tony Taylor standing at second base next to a tree.

This is the way Tiger Stadium looked at 9 PM Saturday night. It seems to be waiting for the next game. It really is spooky.

Michigan and Trumbull looks like you would expect a city to look like after war. The pavement on Michigan is worn down to the bricks and you can see old streetcar tracks.

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share.do?invite=xEVr4XJrhY8V258U08S8&shareName=MMS2&sharePage=slideShow

jake27
07-04-2005, 05:54 PM
fenway, was the stadium guarded or watched at all that you saw. i have some friends in the detroit area and we wanted to sneak into tiger stadium, probally impossible tho

C-Dawg
07-04-2005, 06:02 PM
fenway, was the stadium guarded or watched at all that you saw. i have some friends in the detroit area and we wanted to sneak into tiger stadium, probally impossible tho

When I was there almost two years ago there appeared no easy way in; all the doors and gates were secured and locked, but on the other hand there didn't appear to be any obvious security people there. It isn't like many of Detroit's other abandoned buildings where you can just wander right in.

DaleJRFan
07-04-2005, 06:15 PM
Detroit = God's blind spot. Thank God I'm not a Tigers fan.

gobears1987
07-04-2005, 08:38 PM
I saw my first ballgame there in 1993. It was there that I first saw real baseball and became a Sox fan. I used to live in Chelsea, MI, right near Ann Arbor, and we went to the games when the Sox were in town. It was Frank hitting an HR in that first game back in 1993 when I was 5 years old that made me a Sox fan.

Stroker Ace
07-04-2005, 11:23 PM
I thought Tiger Stadium was torn down years ago, but then again, I don't follow lousy baseball teams...... Except for the Mets.

Fenway
07-05-2005, 12:28 AM
I saw no security at the Stadium

A guy from the Checker Cab company walked over and said "man you don't want to be here" so I left

Nellie_Fox
07-05-2005, 02:29 AM
I saw no security at the Stadium

A guy from the Checker Cab company walked over and said "man you don't want to be here" so I leftYeah, and you probably wouldn't want to sneak inside,either. I can just imagine what the inside of the place is like. I picture some post-apocalyptic, road warrior place, with people cooking rats over open fires.

munchman33
07-05-2005, 09:08 AM
I've been to both parks. Not even close. I don't know what the fans in detroit are smoking.

jake27
07-05-2005, 11:35 AM
I picture some post-apocalyptic, road warrior place, with people cooking rats over open fires. exactly what i imagine it looking like :tongue: