PDA

View Full Version : I try to ignore, but geeez.

aniceItch
06-24-2005, 05:08 AM
Harder to Ignore Sox (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050623morrissey,1,3649690.column?coll=cs-home-utility)

Hey, I dont really like the guy, but I think I kinda like this article.

fincher
06-24-2005, 06:20 AM
Yes. Good story. I especially like the fact he did not mention attendance at all.

ozzman
06-24-2005, 07:35 AM
Amazing as it is, Morrisey has had a few really good articles this year. I don't agree that it is as much of a one way street as he makes it out to be in the hostilities between the sox and the cubs, but other than that a very good piece. Welcome to the band wagon Rick, we've been telling you for years that we are the Rodney Dangerfields of the mlb. Now that you are taking an interest in us, you see it first hand and realize just how bad it is. Kudos to you for admitting it.

Dan H
06-24-2005, 08:43 AM
I like Morrissey and this was another fine piece of his. But just as he was talking about the Sox getting ignored, what do I see? In a "Letter from the Sox beat," Mark Gonzales spends half of his time talking about going to a Cubs game. I am not one who worries about media coverage that much, but this was just plain stupid. How many times do we have to be fed this propaganda about Wrigely Field? And in a story that is supposed to be about the Sox? It is all hype. I have been to many stadiums around the country and many of them beat this sea of falling cement.

seanpmurphy
06-24-2005, 08:55 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I could care less about the cubs and anyone on the team when the White Sox are playing nothing short of incredible baseball this entire month. That's all I got.

TornLabrum
06-24-2005, 09:03 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I could care less about the cubs and anyone on the team when the White Sox are playing nothing short of incredible baseball this entire month. That's all I got.

No, you couldn't care less. If you could care less, that means you actually have some room for caring. If you couldn't care less, you are at the absolute minimum for caring.

Now that that's out of the way, it's all BS that Cubs fans don't care about the Sox. That's obvious by the way they have to go out of their way to point out that their attendance is better, as if that justifies 60 years of sucking.

wdelaney72
06-24-2005, 09:34 AM
No, you couldn't care less. If you could care less, that means you actually have some room for caring. If you couldn't care less, you are at the absolute minimum for caring.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/wdelaney72/DanMcNeil.jpg"I thought I was the grammar policeman!"

DumpJerry
06-24-2005, 09:36 AM
If Flub fans didn't care about the Sox, why are they always in my face about attendance when I don't say anything about their pathetic sniveling team? I'm ignoring all teams (to the best of my abilities) but the Twins this year because nobody else matters. We're Number One, we are not chasing anyone, wishing we were some other team, wishing we had player X or player Y. This is new territory for us, get used to it, it's gonna last for a few years!

Jurr
06-24-2005, 09:52 AM
If Flub fans didn't care about the Sox, why are they always in my face about attendance when I don't say anything about their pathetic sniveling team? I'm ignoring all teams (to the best of my abilities) but the Twins this year because nobody else matters. We're Number One, we are not chasing anyone, wishing we were some other team, wishing we had player X or player Y. This is new territory for us, get used to it, it's gonna last for a few years!
Who cares? Attendance woes are going to be a thing of the past pretty soon. I was there a ton last week, and the stadium was pretty full every night, even during DAY GAMES AGAINST THE FRIGGIN' ROYALS! The Sox are going to be very strong in attendance this year, and then the poor Cubs fans aren't going to have ANYTHING to complain about.

tebman
06-24-2005, 09:59 AM
http://www.elitestv.com/discus/clipart/saywhat.gif Nice catch, TL. Misuses of expressions and common phrases are all over the place. Some of my favorites:

* irregardless...
* couldn't of...
* between you and I...
* me and [name] went to the game...
* hopefully (used in place of "I hope")
* "like" used in place of "said," as in "...so I'm like, 'no I'm not going,' and she's like, 'yes you are.'"

There are dozens more (we could probably start a whole thread on that too).
I can say these things of course, because I never make any mistakes. :tongue:

FoulkeFan
06-24-2005, 10:10 AM
I didn't like that this article reinforces the stereotype that Sox fans care more about the Cubs than Cub fans care about the Sox. BS! This year I haven't thought about the Cubs at all. When the Sox are so much fun to watch and are winning like crazy, why would I?

daveeym
06-24-2005, 10:10 AM

You're all wrong it's COULD care less. As in I could care less but that would take to much effort. Now think about that one for second. Blow your mind. YEAH BABY GO SOX.

seanpmurphy
06-24-2005, 10:15 AM

Now that that's out of the way, it's all BS that Cubs fans don't care about the Sox. That's obvious by the way they have to go out of their way to point out that their attendance is better, as if that justifies 60 years of sucking.

I never knew Sox fans were so concerned with speaking good. I mean well.

brewcrew/chisox
06-24-2005, 10:37 AM
You're all wrong it's COULD care less. As in I could care less but that would take to much effort. Now think about that one for second. Blow your mind. YEAH BABY GO SOX.

That would be
too .....too much effort. :tongue:

scottjanssens
06-24-2005, 10:47 AM

Heh. Yeah, that bugs the hell out of me too. And so does the word "highth".

doublem23
06-24-2005, 10:52 AM
We have this discussion once or twice a month. :cool:

TornLabrum
06-24-2005, 10:54 AM
I never knew Sox fans were so concerned with speaking good. I mean well.

Most of us spent time during our youth in school instead of at the ball park so we could get jobs instead of spending our days at the ball park.

kj.hayes
06-24-2005, 11:51 AM
We have this discussion once or twice a month.

And we will continue to, long after old Wrigley has been torn to the ground and the Trib sells the Cubs out to play in the suburbs and the decks of Sox Park is blanketed in pennants. It's irritating as baseball fans that a worse team with less knowledgable fans playing at an inferior stadium is able to draw more people to the games. That's why it's going to be so gratifying to beat the pants off them this weekend.

Less attendance per game and fewer column inches in the Trib doesn't seem to be affecting the White Sox ability to create wins at home (nor does it seem to benefit the Cubs at all...) so I'm happy to leave "the shrine" on Clark Street for overgrown frat boy drunks and their girlfriends. When I want to share the experience of seeing truly great baseball, I know where I need to go.

My biggest hope is that 2005 will be remembered as a season (like certain years in the Fifties, Seventies, and Eighties) that captures the imagination of younger fans and transforms them into lifelong White Sox devotees. Imagine 20, 30 years from now, people looking back on Podsednik and Garland and Thomas, and giving them credit for making them Sox fans. What are Cubs fans going to remember about the 2005 season? Broken pitchers? Nomar's groin? The smell of stale beer and urine?

Enjoy your big crowds while you still can, little bears. Your season will end a lot sooner than ours will.

mdep524
06-24-2005, 11:54 AM
Figured I'd put it in this thread rather than start a new one... Anyway, those darn Cubune factcheckers- they don't work too hard, do they?

On the back page of todays Sports section, talking about notable performances from the series at the Urinal:

Jason Dubois
Cubs

The rookie left fielder had only
two hits in seven at bats in the first
series, but his second hit was the
difference in the Cubs' lone victory
when he clubbed a three-run
home run off Jose Vizcaino.
:rolleyes:

Maybe they hired Jeff Brantley to write that blurb.

Reminds me of 83
06-24-2005, 12:09 PM
Well said. And you are absolutely correct, years from now fans will remember Podsednik, Konerko, Garland, Buehrle in the same way long time Sox Fans talk about Hoyt, Baines, Minoso, Fox, etc. This is a special year. Enjoy it.

Go Sox!!!!!

And we will continue to, long after old Wrigley has been torn to the ground and the Trib sells the Cubs out to play in the suburbs and the decks of Sox Park is blanketed in pennants. It's irritating as baseball fans that a worse team with less knowledgable fans playing at an inferior stadium is able to draw more people to the games. That's why it's going to be so gratifying to beat the pants off them this weekend.

Less attendance per game and fewer column inches in the Trib doesn't seem to be affecting the White Sox ability to create wins at home (nor does it seem to benefit the Cubs at all...) so I'm happy to leave "the shrine" on Clark Street for overgrown frat boy drunks and their girlfriends. When I want to share the experience of seeing truly great baseball, I know where I need to go.

My biggest hope is that 2005 will be remembered as a season (like certain years in the Fifties, Seventies, and Eighties) that captures the imagination of younger fans and transforms them into lifelong White Sox devotees. Imagine 20, 30 years from now, people looking back on Podsednik and Garland and Thomas, and giving them credit for making them Sox fans. What are Cubs fans going to remember about the 2005 season? Broken pitchers? Nomar's groin? The smell of stale beer and urine?

Enjoy your big crowds while you still can, little bears. Your season will end a lot sooner than ours will.

fquaye149
06-24-2005, 12:38 PM
http://www.elitestv.com/discus/clipart/saywhat.gif * irregardless...

there's nothing wrong with saying irregardless except the effort to say two extra letters.

but it is funny that its definition is "regardless"

hose
06-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Who cares? Attendance woes are going to be a thing of the past pretty soon. I was there a ton last week, and the stadium was pretty full every night, even during DAY GAMES AGAINST THE FRIGGIN' ROYALS! The Sox are going to be very strong in attendance this year, and then the poor Cubs fans aren't going to have ANYTHING to complain about.

As a Sox fan the most important thing about attendance for me is that Reinsy will spend to add on to the team down the stretch because of the increase.

Good things are happening and the attendance will be well over 2,000,000 this year.

Erik The Red
06-24-2005, 12:55 PM
http://www.elitestv.com/discus/clipart/saywhat.gif Nice catch, TL. Misuses of expressions and common phrases are all over the place. Some of my favorites:

* irregardless...
* couldn't of...
* between you and I...
* me and [name] went to the game...
* hopefully (used in place of "I hope")
* "like" used in place of "said," as in "...so I'm like, 'no I'm not going,' and she's like, 'yes you are.'"

There are dozens more (we could probably start a whole thread on that too).
I can say these things of course, because I never make any mistakes. :tongue:
You forgot "for all intensive purposes".

TornLabrum
06-24-2005, 12:58 PM
there's nothing wrong with saying irregardless except the effort to say two extra letters.

but it is funny that its definition is "regardless"

It is a confusion between irrespective and regardless. I haven't seen as of yet that it's use is acceptable.

fquaye149
06-24-2005, 01:00 PM
It is a confusion between irrespective and regardless. I haven't seen as of yet that it's use is acceptable.

www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com/)

but then again, I suppose with the advent of postmodernism and contemporary literature, casual use includes anything that sounds like sound

TornLabrum
06-24-2005, 01:08 PM
www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com/)

but then again, I suppose with the advent of postmodernism and contemporary literature, casual use includes anything that sounds like sound

This is what it actually says:

Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

fquaye149
06-24-2005, 01:10 PM
This is what it actually says:

right but it also says it is acceptable for casual use...so it shouldn't really irritate someone who sees it, say, on a message board :)

I had a philosophy professor my freshman year who used irregardless as if it were regardless in our class discussions. I was a little confused as to where exactly my tuition money was going.

There it is Randar: further ammo against ND

TornLabrum
06-24-2005, 01:16 PM
right but it also says it is acceptable for casual use...so it shouldn't really irritate someone who sees it, say, on a message board :)

I had a philosophy professor my freshman year who used irregardless as if it were regardless in our class discussions. I was a little confused as to where exactly my tuition money was going.

There it is Randar: further ammo against ND

No it says it's used chiefly in nonstandard speech (in other words by people who talk like yokels) and casual writing. Nowhere is the word acceptable used.

fquaye149
06-24-2005, 01:21 PM
No it says it's used chiefly in nonstandard speech (in other words by people who talk like yokels) and casual writing. Nowhere is the word acceptable used.

fair enough.

let's just let sleeping dogs lay

scottjanssens
06-24-2005, 01:22 PM
right but it also says it is acceptable for casual use...so it shouldn't really irritate someone who sees it, say, on a message board

Don't make me go all OED on you!

Oh, what the hell...

A reading from the almighty Oxford English Dictionary.

irregardless, a. and adv.

chiefly N. Amer.

In non-standard or humorous use: regardless.

[Prob. blend of irrespective and regardless.]

TornLabrum
fair enough.

let's just let sleeping dogs lay

Where do sleeping dogs lay?

scottjanssens
Dang it! I just tripped over that sleeping dog.

fquaye149
06-24-2005, 01:32 PM
Dang it! I just tripped over that sleeping dog.

you should have let it lye

hose
06-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Where do sleeping dogs lay?

There was this one in Cicero that slept at the end of the bar and and the little guy could clear out a whole section with some of his gas.....mercy

Ol' No. 2
06-24-2005, 02:04 PM
It's irritating as baseball fans that a worse team with less knowledgable fans playing at an inferior stadium is able to draw more people to the games.Who gives a damn? Nowhere else do people care the slightest about attendance. The whole attendance thing is a marketing invention of the Tribune Co. to try to sell their product. They certainly can't sell it on the basis of quality, so they use the "everyone is doing it" pitch. There are, sadly, plenty of people gullible enough to by **** sandwiches if you can convince them that everyone else is eating them. By responding to this issue, you're just validating it.