PDA

View Full Version : Out of the Woodwork

Troupis
06-24-2005, 12:29 AM
Never before in my life have I experienced the "love" from fellow Sox fans that I have this year. Wearing a Sox cap this year in New Orleans and Houston has sparked more, "'you from Chicago?" or, "Go Sox!" conversations than ever before. Tonight there were 4 separate (but equal) Sox fans who came up to me in a hotel bar alone (I of course informed them of WSI and expect 3 more dedicated members).

I know in Colorado and San Diego we had a rockin' fan base at the games and I was curious if other people have also seen more "Sox Pride" this year than other years out and about around the country.

chisoxfanatic
06-24-2005, 12:32 AM
You truly can't get anything like what we are experiencing right here IN Chicago. And, so, I urge you to get here to see them play if you can!

The Critic
06-24-2005, 08:14 AM
The bandwagon IS filling up. I don't get that smirk anymore when I wear my Sox stuff downtown or on the North side.
Winning will do that.....

LuvSox
06-24-2005, 09:56 AM
Never before in my life have I experienced the "love" from fellow Sox fans that I have this year.

I love you, man! :bandance:

RavenswoodFan
06-24-2005, 11:02 AM
The bandwagon IS filling up. I don't get that smirk anymore when I wear my Sox stuff downtown or on the North side.
Winning will do that.....

Last weekend after the Sox came from behind and won against the Dodgers,(saturday) I must have ran in to at least 20 or so Sox wearing people who gave me the nod of approval or a "Go Sox" comment! While I was wearing the my Sox hat.

It's nice to see Sox fans with their heads up and proud!!!!!:smile:

The Racehorse
06-24-2005, 11:18 AM
A couple of weeks ago, I was at a Nats game and while walking up the aisle someone commented on my blue SOX cap with a "hey, White Sox... Go Sox!" ... which was great because sitting right behind him were two guys wearing Flubbie gear [an old Cubs-Sosa jersey & one of those idiotic Red Sox/Cubs combo-shirts].

kevingrt
06-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Never before in my life have I experienced the "love" from fellow Sox fans that I have this year. Wearing a Sox cap this year in New Orleans and Houston has sparked more, "'you from Chicago?" or, "Go Sox!" conversations than ever before. Tonight there were 4 separate (but equal) Sox fans who came up to me in a hotel bar alone (I of course informed them of WSI and expect 3 more dedicated members).

I know in Colorado and San Diego we had a rockin' fan base at the games and I was curious if other people have also seen more "Sox Pride" this year than other years out and about around the country.

The thing is it's now "cool" to be a White Sox fan because they are winning. As everyone else has said the bandwagon is filling up. When ESPN "analysts" Tim Kurkjian and Steve Phillips say they think the Sox will win the AL Central, the bandwagon is near full.

I'm not gonna lie though, I don't really like having a huge bandwagon of so-called "fans" that are just around when we win. Everyone knows the people on here are the close-knit group of Sox fans that are with the team through the thick and thin.

Oh well, I have to admit it is nice to see the Cell packed and noisy, despite the fact it is tougher to get quality tickets.

Church Turtle
06-24-2005, 12:42 PM
It's great to have more fans at the Cell, but it's troubling when chatting it up with a "SOX fan" and you realize that when you mention Jack McDowell or Bobby Thigpen, or Psycho Lyons they have a glazed-over look in their eyes. There's something comforting in talking with a SOX fan who remembers the really dry years and can appreciate the way things are now. It's like meeting someone who's suffered just like you... Oh for a WS!:smile:

The Critic
06-24-2005, 12:46 PM
That's the downside of finally getting the attention we complain about the Sox not getting.
You'll get bandwagon fans who have no knowledge of Sox history, and it's tougher to get tickets and tougher to get to the park when you DO get tickets.
Positives are a fuller ballpark, which looks and sounds better, and the team makes money ( which theoretically would be used to get even more good players ). Not sure what color that last part belongs in, so I'll leave it alone....
:D:

scottjanssens
06-24-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm still not convinced a fuller park is a positive. A larger group of fans means a larger group of idiot fans. And longer lines.

I console myself by saying more fans means a better payroll. I don't actually believe it, but that's how I console myself.

hempsox
06-24-2005, 12:59 PM
It's great to have more fans at the Cell, but it's troubling when chatting it up with a "SOX fan" and you realize that when you mention Jack McDowell or Bobby Thigpen, or Psycho Lyons they have a glazed-over look in their eyes. There's something comforting in talking with a SOX fan who remembers the really dry years and can appreciate the way things are now. It's like meeting someone who's suffered just like you... Oh for a WS!:smile:

Actually for dry years let's talk Dan Pasqua (sp?), Ivan Calderon, Donn Pall, Charlie Hough (my personal fav of a Sox pitcher of the past). We could also talk about Joey Belle and Chris Snopek.

Hendu
06-24-2005, 01:14 PM
I'll be the first in line to welcome the idiot bandwagon jumpers if it means winning the World Series and being able to support a big-market payroll.

Harder to get tickets, longer lines, having to deal with unkowledgable fans from time to time...hey, winning has a price and I'll gladly pay it rather than keeping the status quo (mediocrity).

TornLabrum
06-24-2005, 01:29 PM
I'll be the first in line to welcome the idiot bandwagon jumpers if it means winning the World Series and being able to support a big-market payroll.

Harder to get tickets, longer lines, having to deal with unkowledgable fans from time to time...hey, winning has a price and I'll gladly pay it rather than keeping the status quo (mediocrity).

You forgot to mention The Wave and throwing the ball back.

scottjanssens
06-24-2005, 01:35 PM

Man that pisses me off when they do either of those at Comiskey.

Hendu
06-24-2005, 01:49 PM

I'm sure there are other annoying things that come with the territory as well. But given the choice of dealing with this or finishing 2nd/3rd and potentially losing free agents every year, I'll take the wave, talking to "fans" who have no idea who Warren Newsom is, long lines etc.

All I want is a World Series championship banner flying at 35th & Shields.

Huisj
06-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Actually for dry years let's talk Dan Pasqua (sp?), Ivan Calderon, Donn Pall, Charlie Hough (my personal fav of a Sox pitcher of the past). We could also talk about Joey Belle and Chris Snopek.

I was for some reason reading some of the crap on that Baseball Savant blog that someone posted on here yesterday, and I came across a mention of Chuck McElroy (it was in a thing about Reds draft picks). And then I remembered, we had McElroy for a year or two in the late '90s. And then thinking of old lefty relievers made me accidently remember Tony Castillo. ugh.

We all complain about Marte, but think back to those "key lefthanders" in our bullpen in the 90s.

FredManrique
06-24-2005, 02:43 PM
I was for some reason reading some of the crap on that Baseball Savant blog that someone posted on here yesterday, and I came across a mention of Chuck McElroy (it was in a thing about Reds draft picks). And then I remembered, we had McElroy for a year or two in the late '90s. And then thinking of old lefty relievers made me accidently remember Tony Castillo. ugh.

We all complain about Marte, but think back to those "key lefthanders" in our bullpen in the 90s.

I thought McElroy was good when we had him.

Alan Embree and Bill Pulispher represent the nadir for me.

Jurr
06-24-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm sure there are other annoying things that come with the territory as well. But given the choice of dealing with this or finishing 2nd/3rd and potentially losing free agents every year, I'll take the wave, talking to "fans" who have no idea who Warren Newsom is, long lines etc.

All I want is a World Series championship banner flying at 35th & Shields.
Exactly. Just get me a damn championship. Period.

patbooyah
06-24-2005, 06:09 PM
troupis- i don't think those people like you cause of the white sox. i think they like you for your handsome body.

now get your ass to california already.

Troupis
06-25-2005, 02:41 PM
troupis- i don't think those people like you cause of the white sox. i think they like you for your handsome body.

now get your ass to california already.

When they comment on my hat it's just nice to know people are looking at something other than my bulging...manboobies. :canseco

28 days b4 my wedding and L.A. I'm already figuring out how to secure Sox-Angels for next year.