PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "Questions for Nancy" Thread

TornLabrum
06-24-2005, 12:18 AM
By popular demand, I've been asked to do a new interview of Nancy Faust for WSI. Independently of that, Mary Kay, the president of the Windy City Sox Fans, thought that it might be a good idea to interview Nancy for the club's newsletter. I'd like to have different content in both as much as possible, so I thought that a suggestion made in another thread here was excellent: Why not have people here at WSI come up with some of the questions?

Why not, indeed! It's a great idea. I can reserve those questions for the WSI interview and then use others for the WCSF interview.

So...what would you like to ask Nancy Faust? I can't promise to use all the questions, but I promise to use the best ones.

Sox of White
06-24-2005, 12:20 AM
What were you doing during Disco Demolition?

DC Sox Fan
06-24-2005, 12:21 AM
I would love to know what kind of research/inspiration the great one has in preparing songs to play for the opposition.

santo=dorf
06-24-2005, 12:26 AM
Have you ever offended any of the opposing players with the particular song you played during their at-bat?

mike squires
06-24-2005, 12:32 AM
What would you be doing if you hadn't started playing the organ?

Mr. White Sox
06-24-2005, 12:36 AM
I know this isn't a great question, but I'm dying to know this...

How do you know the song "New Born" by Muse? I've heard it played a couple of times before/during some games, and it's great.

Ol' No. 2
06-24-2005, 12:40 AM
Do you have a favorite song to play?

LoganSox
06-24-2005, 12:45 AM
Were you a White Sox fan growing up?

Who are your favorite all-time Sox?

Norberto7
06-24-2005, 12:50 AM
Which song-player combination are you most proud of, i.e., do you think is your most witty?

For some reason, the one that always sticks in my mind is Go West's "King of Wishful Thinking" for former Royals 3rd basemen Jeff King.

kingpin_rcs
06-24-2005, 01:00 AM
Here are a couple of questions:

Is the equipment you use yours or does it belong to the Sox?

Do you have duplicate equipment at home to practice with?

How do you prepare for each game - do you go over lineups?

Do you know the players? Talk to them about the songs?

Have you ever played anywhere besides USCF (or SoxFest)?

Have you ever thought about what you might play if the Sox were to ever win it all? Is there something special you have been saving for that moment? You don't have to say what it is :-)

Mohoney
06-24-2005, 02:08 AM
"What season was the most fun one in your career, and what exactly made that season so special for you?"

RadioheadRocks
06-24-2005, 02:47 AM
I have the "Crowd Pleasing Favorites" LP and the cassette that's currently available at the Sox gift shop. Any chance of a CD release in the future (either a rerelease of either album or perhaps something entirely new)?

Enjoyed "Nothing But Nancy" day... let's have more of those!!! :D: :D: :D:

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

mike squires
06-24-2005, 09:36 AM
What has been your favorite WhiteSox moment?

StrTrkker
06-24-2005, 09:38 AM
Does she have an Email address so we can suggest songs for her to play for Sox player?

wdelaney72
06-24-2005, 09:39 AM
Have you ever played 'Lady Of Spain"?

LuvSox
06-24-2005, 09:52 AM
I would like Nancy to know that she is a treasure and we look forward to listening to her music and stopping by her booth for many years to come.

HAR-OLD
06-24-2005, 09:57 AM
would you like every game to be like "nothin but nancy" or is it nice to have breaks when they play so much canned music?

what is your personal favorite team and player during your tenure?

will you go out with me?

White Sox Josh
06-24-2005, 10:18 AM
What is your favorite style of music to play?

Rocky Soprano
06-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Does she watch all the away games?
How does she spend the off-season?

Lip Man 1
06-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Do you remember when you and Harry started doing the '7th inning stretch' together? What year? How did that come about?Lip

Church Turtle
06-24-2005, 12:53 PM
1) Assuming you began with piano lessons, how old were you when you started learning your craft?

2) Why did you take up the organ?

3) You have such a wide range of songs in your repitoire, when/how do you decide on a song? Like "Hey Ya", I never would've dreamed it could be played on the organ and sound cool. Yet, you did it.

Fenway
06-24-2005, 03:13 PM
Nancy

Do you ever speak to other ballpark/arena organists for their feedback?

How difficult was it to play the pipe organ at The Stadium? I understand their was a 3 second delay from the time you would hit a key to the sound coming out.

and please more Runaround Sue!!!!!

CallMeNuts
06-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Have you already got a long list of songs for when Lance Broadway makes it to the bigs?

What players have the best names, serving as inspiration for song titles?

shoota
06-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Has Sox employees ever told you what not to play, or what they didn't want you to play anymore?

How come you only play one verse of the Steam song these days?

Layla
06-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Who was the hardest player to match up to a song?

TornLabrum
06-26-2005, 11:34 PM
I just got back from my weekend vacation. I'll be emailing Nancy in a few minutes to set up an interview with her. If anyone has any other questions, please post them in the next day or so.

havelj
06-27-2005, 12:05 AM
I spoke one-on-one with her in December of 2003 and she was the biggest Rob Gallas hater on the planet. so...

"Was the day Rob Gallas was gone from the White Sox one of your happiest?"
and
"How has Brooks Boyer supported your work with the White Sox and the fans?"

Reichardt
06-27-2005, 12:41 AM
What where some of her first theme songs for players. I remember "Superstar" for Richie Allen. I don't know if she had songs for Melton, Carlos May etc.

The Dude
06-27-2005, 12:46 AM
What do you think of Jurko??

BainesHOF
06-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Please ask her lots of questions about starting to play "Kiss Him Goodbye" in 1977 - what led to it and how the song gained, ahem, steam during that great summer.

ChicagoHoosier
06-27-2005, 11:54 AM
1) How much longer do you plan on being in this profession? Hopefully retire with the White Sox, but for how much longer will we be honored by your great entertainment every time out to the park?

2) Not a criticism, but if you could fit in the quesiton of why we still play "Hey Hey Goodbye" to a pitcher if he's taken out when we're getting smoked by him. Like, 6-0 bottom 8th and he gets pulled for allowing his 3rd baserunner... wonder if that song could be situational, like when we drive him out of a game.

GoGoOzzie
06-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Not neccessarily a question for Nancy, but does anyone know why she kept playing "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple this weekend for Burnitz? I have racked my brain to try and figure out the pun, but I don't get it. I would've thought that maybe it was coincidental and wasn't particularly for him, but she played it several times when he was at bat both saturday and sunday.

TornLabrum
06-27-2005, 01:46 PM
Not neccessarily a question for Nancy, but does anyone know why she kept playing "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple this weekend for Burnitz? I have racked my brain to try and figure out the pun, but I don't get it. I would've thought that maybe it was coincidental and wasn't particularly for him, but she played it several times when he was at bat both saturday and sunday.

Burn-itz. Get it? Where there's smoke, there's...?

TornLabrum
06-27-2005, 01:47 PM
1) How much longer do you plan on being in this profession? Hopefully retire with the White Sox, but for how much longer will we be honored by your great entertainment every time out to the park?

2) Not a criticism, but if you could fit in the quesiton of why we still play "Hey Hey Goodbye" to a pitcher if he's taken out when we're getting smoked by him. Like, 6-0 bottom 8th and he gets pulled for allowing his 3rd baserunner... wonder if that song could be situational, like when we drive him out of a game.

I was away all weekend. Did she do it during the Cubs series. She told me about 10-12 days ago that she was no longer going to do that? Or have you just not been paying attention?

whtsx1959
06-27-2005, 02:39 PM
During the five games you've missed since 1970, did anyone fill in for you?
and
Was it paid leave?

skottyj242
06-27-2005, 02:54 PM
I was wondering if she thinks she can take Gary Pressey in a fight?

Is there any truth to the rumor that she can't read sheet music? (I thought I heard that somewhere last Wednesday during her day.)

How long does it take before she's comfortable debuting a new song?

This isn't a question for Nancy just something I was wondering about: Are there organists in Cooperstown? If so would she have to wait the five years to be on the ballot? Is anything of hers in Cooperstown?

jackbrohamer
06-27-2005, 03:12 PM
Why did she wear #88 on her Sox jersey on NBN Day, is that the number of keys on an organ?
Did she really play "Go Ask Alice" when Jason Giambi batted during the 2003 All Star Game, and if so did she intend it a steroid reference?

skottyj242
06-27-2005, 03:25 PM
Why did she wear #88 on her Sox jersey on NBN Day, is that the number of keys on an organ?
Did she really play "Go Ask Alice" when Jason Giambi batted during the 2003 All Star Game, and if so did she intend it a steroid reference?

Haven't you ever heard of 88 Fingers Louie?

GoGoOzzie
06-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Burn-itz. Get it? Where there's smoke, there's...?

Oh man...now I feel like an idiot.

jackbrohamer
06-27-2005, 04:21 PM
Haven't you ever heard of 88 Fingers Louie?

On the Flintstones, he played "Happy Anniversary?" A piano has 88 keys but I thought a Wurlitzer or whatever she plays has more.

TornLabrum
06-28-2005, 10:04 PM
One last request for questions if anyone has any more (and please, if you haven't gone through the thread, please do so in case your question has already been asked.

We'll be doing the interview late Thursday afternoon.

tebman
06-28-2005, 10:14 PM
One last request for questions if anyone has any more (and please, if you haven't gone through the thread, please do so in case your question has already been asked.

We'll be doing the interview late Thursday afternoon.
Just tell her Thank You.:hug:

mike squires
06-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Hey Hal, did Nancy have to get permission from the Sox to consent to the interview? Just curious.

bludupree
06-28-2005, 11:48 PM
1) Assuming you began with piano lessons, how old were you when you started learning your craft?

2) Why did you take up the organ?

3) You have such a wide range of songs in your repitoire, when/how do you decide on a song? Like "Hey Ya", I never would've dreamed it could be played on the organ and sound cool. Yet, you did it.

I may be incorrect since this information was given to me when I was about 9, which was 14 years ago, but I don't think Nancy took lessons. She learned on her own.

TornLabrum
06-29-2005, 12:07 AM
Hey Hal, did Nancy have to get permission from the Sox to consent to the interview? Just curious.

Nope. I've interviewed her before (like 11-12 years ago), and I've heard her doing interviews from her booth on the phone there.

TornLabrum
06-29-2005, 12:08 AM
I may be incorrect since this information was given to me when I was about 9, which was 14 years ago, but I don't think Nancy took lessons. She learned on her own.

I'll be using that question, so you'll see the definitive answer.

soxfaninnewyork
06-29-2005, 06:06 PM
I just received a copy of "Nancy Faust's Favorites" which she did in 1994 that sounds just great. Do you think she will put out another CD of her favorites in commemoration of her 35+ years as White Sox organist?

(The late) Eddie Layton, who was the Yankee Stadium organist before retiring in 2003, put out a CD in 1996 celebrating 30 years tickling the ivories at the Stadium. How great would it be if Nancy (and the White Sox) would consider doing the same thing! It could be another fundraiser or simply just part of the White Sox merchandise available for fans.

WE NEED MORE NOTHING BUT NANCY DAYS!:bandance:

MrRoboto83
06-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Nancy, do you give organ or piano lessons?

TornLabrum
07-02-2005, 12:57 PM
I've spent parts of the last three days on the phone with Nancy, and we got through almost all of the questions you asked except for one or two that I thought were inappropriate. The whole process probably took something like 3 hours between my interview for the WCSF newsletter and your questions. I don't know if I'll have something ready by the next change of the front page, but I certainly will by next week.

Thanks to everyone for your questions.

White Sox Josh
07-02-2005, 01:00 PM
I've spent parts of the last three days on the phone with Nancy, and we got through almost all of the questions you asked except for one or two that I thought were inappropriate. The whole process probably took something like 3 hours between my interview for the WCSF newsletter and your questions. I don't know if I'll have something ready by the next change of the front page, but I certainly will by next week.

Thanks to everyone for your questions.thanks a lot.

JohnBasedowYoda
07-02-2005, 01:05 PM
does she have any single daughters

TornLabrum
07-02-2005, 07:13 PM
does she have any single daughters

You'll just have to read the article to find out! :D:

SpammySosa
07-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Just out of curiosity,did Nancy have to seek permission from the Sox to do the interview?

TornLabrum
07-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Just out of curiosity,did Nancy have to seek permission from the Sox to do the interview?

Nope.

Ol' No. 2
07-03-2005, 01:16 PM
does she have any single daughtersJust one son, IIRC.

TornLabrum
07-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Just one son, IIRC.

Nancy answered the question. We'll find out the answer soon.