PDA

View Full Version : Lee needed to be a brewer to escape the southside?

JermaineDye05
06-23-2005, 04:42 PM
I was just on espn and there was this insider story headline that said "Carlos Lee was happy to be a Brewer. But more than that, Lee needed to be a Brewer, to escape the South Side to recast himself as one of the most feared run-producers in the game, writes Jayson Stark." I'm still wondering what they mean by this saying he "needed to be a brewer to escape the southside" I don't see how he wasn't a threat the last couple of years, I haven't been able to read the whole article cause I'm not an insider but I'm wondering what in the hell stark is writing about

balke
06-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Lee loved Chicago, hated the Cubs, and if Maggs and Frank stayed healthy last season he'd be a big contributer to a winning team. He didn't escape anything but a great city who was taking to him. He only left because he was trade bait, and the only real bargaining chip we had in the offseason.

Stark's pulling crap out of his ass and using it to write with apparently. So... who cares?

JermaineDye05
06-23-2005, 04:50 PM
see now that he's not on our team they start writing about him, what the **** is with ESPN, they seriously must hate us, as soon as some1 leaves and really doesnt change, just puts up the same numbers as they did with us they start raving about them

StepsInSC
06-23-2005, 04:53 PM
see now that he's not on our team they start writing about him, what the **** is with ESPN, they seriously must hate us, as soon as some1 leaves and really doesnt change, just puts up the same numbers as they did with us they start raving about them

Same numbers? He's on pace for 45 HR and 149 RBI. He's having a career year, and he's the best hitter on his team.

Jjav829
06-23-2005, 04:54 PM
Stark is talking about how Lee needed to get out of Chicago to be noticed. He's not ripping the White Sox, just saying that Lee was never the man in Chicago. He was always being overlooked because of Maggs, Frank and Konerko. Stark says that Lee needed to go to a place like Milwaukee where he would be the man, where he could be the one counted on to drive in runs. It's a very long article, but it was a good read. Here's a few quotes from Lee.

"That's when the game is fun," Lee said, "when you know you've got a chance to put your team ahead. That brings out the best in me, when I've got people on base."

"Every time I go to bat with this team, I've got guys on base," Lee chuckles. "In Chicago, with Frank and Magglio and then me, I'd go to hit and there was not much left out there."

"When you're on a team where you've got Frank and Magglio and Konerko, we were all four guys who do pretty much the same things," Lee said. "Frank's been in the game so long and been so good. Magglio was an All-Star like five consecutive years (actually four out of five). So obviously, people are going to look at Frank and Magglio before they look at someone like me. I was just one of the guys."

Carlos also had this to say about some of the stuff that came out about him being a selfish player:

Lee admits his blood pressure did spike a few points over that talk, "because I never thought I was that kind of person. The stuff that started to come out, I was really disappointed in. But you've just got to move on. I'm with a new team. I want to start moving in the right direction, with all that stuff behind me."

"In Chicago, it was different," Lee said. "The guys in front of me had been in the game longer than I was, and I was just looking up to those guys. Here, these guys look up to me. I'm the guy they rely on to be there every day. "I like to help everybody. I talk to guys. Anything I pick up on the pitchers, I share. I try to keep everybody loose. I tell them it doesn't matter how much they criticize us. We're the Milwaukee Brewers (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/clubhouse?team=mil). Nobody expects us to win."

It's a good article by Stark. Very complimentary to Lee. They talk about Carlos being a leader, about guys like Bill Hall looking up to him. Lee says he is happy to be where he is. It's a shame we had to give Carlos up. He was always one of my favorite players when he was here. But I'm happy with getting Pods back and using that money to get some players back. I'm glad to see El Caballo doing well.

doublem23
06-23-2005, 04:57 PM
Definitely glad that trade turned out well for both teams. Good for Caballo, to be killing the Cubs regularly now.

:supernana:

JermaineDye05
06-23-2005, 05:00 PM
El Caballo will always be a white sock at heart, unlike that 1 right fielder who will go nameless, his first series at wrigley he takes out todd walker and injures him for 3-4 weeks, now thats what I'm talking bout, I would love to one day see Lee back on the southside

Chisox003
06-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Couldnt be happier for C Lee and the Brewers

I hope Caballo continues his monster season and helps get the Brewers to the top of the NL some time soon

Wish he was here to experience what his former team is, but we all know it just wasnt possible....

To Caballo! :gulp:

JermaineDye05
06-23-2005, 05:03 PM
If the Brewers ever happen to make their way to the cell, I hope that when Lee comes up to bat that everyone in the cell will give him a standing ovation, he certainly deserves it, unlike that traitor whom I hope every1 boos the hell out of

White Sox Josh
06-23-2005, 05:05 PM
If the Brewers ever happen to make their way to the cell, I hope that when Lee comes up to bat that everyone in the cell will give him a standing ovation, he certainly deserves it, unlike that traitor whom I hope every1 boos the hell out ofI wish Magg$ would've handled his situation the way Carlos handled the trade. He's a class act and didn't rip the White Sox.

chitownhawkfan
06-23-2005, 05:07 PM
We shouldnt boo Carlos or Maggs, just because of some contract squabble doesnt mean we should forget the productive years he spent on the South Side, that sounds like all of the Scrub fans who for ten years worshipped Sham-Me but now if you ask any of them they will tell you " I was always one of the Cub fans who never liked him" sounds like Bulls**t and we should give Maggs a warm reception.:andy

buehrle4cy05
06-23-2005, 05:12 PM
So... who cares?
:whocares

TaylorStSox
06-23-2005, 05:34 PM
El Caballo will always be a white sock at heart, unlike that 1 right fielder who will go nameless, his first series at wrigley he takes out todd walker and injures him for 3-4 weeks, now thats what I'm talking bout, I would love to one day see Lee back on the southside

You're happy he injured Todd Walker? Wow!

BTW... It's White Sox, not White Sock.

Unregistered
06-23-2005, 05:48 PM
We shouldnt boo Carlos or Maggs, just because of some contract squabble doesnt mean we should forget the productive years he spent on the South Side, that sounds like all of the Scrub fans who for ten years worshipped Sham-Me but now if you ask any of them they will tell you " I was always one of the Cub fans who never liked him" sounds like Bulls**t and we should give Maggs a warm reception.I don't know about the "warm reception" to Maggs when he returns, but I agree with what you said in the beginning of the post.

No one knows what would have happened had C.Lee stayed and became OUR free agent at the end of the year. JR might have thrown him a lowball offer, he might have BS'd about wanting to stay and then take off for the Cubs or LA or something and we'd be trashing him like we trash Magglio.

On the other hand, we might still be talking about how great a guy Magglio is had HE been traded in the offseason before his FA year.

Considering the Sox obviously didn't have any intention of keeping Lee, it's best that he left like this, because I have no doubt him leaving would have been ugly on both sides and tarnished his image, just like Maggs.

Palehose13
06-23-2005, 06:25 PM
Stark is talking about how Lee needed to get out of Chicago to be noticed. He's not ripping the White Sox, just saying that Lee was never the man in Chicago. He was always being overlooked because of Maggs, Frank and Konerko. Stark says that Lee needed to go to a place like Milwaukee where he would be the man, where he could be the one counted on to drive in runs. It's a very long article, but it was a good read. Here's a few quotes from Lee.

I was thinking that before I read all the quotes you gave from the article. in fact, when the trade occured, I believe I said that Carlos will be THE MAN in Milwaukee. He never was here and I am sure that he is loving it. I am happy that he is happy here and that the trade worked out well for both sides.

StockdaleForVeep
06-23-2005, 06:36 PM
Yeah he needed to escape the sox so he could become the only star of a medicore team and then demand more money so the yankees can eventually take him

JermaineDye05
06-23-2005, 10:57 PM
wow I would hate that, 3 worst teams to see lee on, Yankees, Twinkies and Cubs, actually that poses a question, what would be worse, Carlos in pinstripes, with the twinkies, or the cubs

Rocklive99
06-23-2005, 11:05 PM
Same numbers? He's on pace for 45 HR and 149 RBI. He's having a career year, and he's the best hitter on his team.

Not to mention the only hitter on that team, boy oh boy does the NL Central suck

StockdaleForVeep
06-23-2005, 11:07 PM
wow I would hate that, 3 worst teams to see lee on, Yankees, Twinkies and Cubs, actually that poses a question, what would be worse, Carlos in pinstripes, with the twinkies, or the cubs

Really dont care, what allegiance should we have for him. He was on this team how long? Sure he hit some memorable cubs\sox homeruns and homered in his first at bat but this isnt frank we're talkin bout. Id still take podsednik over lee.

batmanZoSo
06-23-2005, 11:17 PM
Really dont care, what allegiance should we have for him. He was on this team how long? Sure he hit some memorable cubs\sox homeruns and homered in his first at bat but this isnt frank we're talkin bout. Id still take podsednik over lee.

I don't miss him one bit. He was always just a supporting character--the Maude Flanders of the Sox, if you will. Goodbye, nice to know you.

Optipessimism
06-23-2005, 11:28 PM
I don't miss him one bit. He was always just a supporting character--the Maude Flanders of the Sox, if you will. Goodbye, nice to know you.

He was a supporting character on a one-dimensional team that had many other needs. If he were in the middle of the order on this team he would be just as big of a part of this team as anyone else. I would take him over Dye or Konerko any day of the week (if he could play 1B), but it just so happened that we needed payroll flexibility and a leadoff hitter. Lee was the guy that could make it happen so he was the one to go, but I wish him well in the future and would welcome him back to the South Side any time.

batmanZoSo
06-23-2005, 11:59 PM
He was a supporting character on a one-dimensional team that had many other needs. If he were in the middle of the order on this team he would be just as big of a part of this team as anyone else. I would take him over Dye or Konerko any day of the week (if he could play 1B), but it just so happened that we needed payroll flexibility and a leadoff hitter. Lee was the guy that could make it happen so he was the one to go, but I wish him well in the future and would welcome him back to the South Side any time.

I would take him over Dye, too, if the money was there. I never liked the Sox paying him that much to be there. Konerko either. One of them had to go and you explained why Lee did.

Go Go Everetts
06-24-2005, 01:12 AM
Carlos, although he is having a great year, is greatly benefiting to facing pitchers in the NL. He is batting 4-35 (.115) in interleague play this season, while batting over .300 against NL clubs.

cburns
06-24-2005, 01:21 AM
Something I noticed was how Carlos avoided getting baited into a fight about the White Sox trading him and living in the past. He isn't trying to pick a fight or retailiate or anything, something Maggs didnt do. You can really tell 'Los is enjoying himself this year.

The Racehorse
06-24-2005, 09:00 AM
http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/frick_bios/images/uecker_bob.jpg
"There's a drive... get up, Get Up!...
it's gone!... home run for El Caballo!!...
Whinny! (http://www.horses.co.uk/audio/horse01.wav) Whinny! (http://www.horses.co.uk/audio/horse01.wav) ... bray (http://www.horsepresence.com/shop/media/Sounds/BlusterA22.wav) bray! (http://www.horsepresence.com/shop/media/Sounds/BlusterA22.wav) "

Hangar18
06-24-2005, 09:09 AM
I still miss El Caballo, but im really liking Scotty Pods. Jayson Stark is an idiot, he thinks hes writing a feel-good Carlos-Lee-is-a-Brewer-now-everthings-great piece, but its JUNK. Sure, he could also say he was "un-noticed"
here, but thats because the CHICAGO MEDIA WERE TOO BUSY LOOKING AT THE CUBS. Heck, they were too busy to even NOTICE MAGGLIO when he was here, much less Carlos Lee. Hes having a great season, going up regularly against Weark NL pitching(which I predicted) and hes GOING TO MAKE THE ALL-STAR TEAM (which I also predicted)

This article blew it. It shouldve been a Chicago-Media-too-busy-covering-Cubs-to-notice-excellent-sox-players. Every SOX fan knew we had great players. the Chicago Media and National Media Didnt know.

Hangar18
06-24-2005, 09:15 AM
Maybe KW can pretend hes Jim Hendry and get Carlos Lee in a trade straight up
for Jermaine Dye? Do you know how dangerous this team would be?

bartmanisgod
06-24-2005, 10:24 AM
I think the fact that we have not missed Carlos really really speaks volumes for what Podsednik has brought to this team. For Carlos to start putting up the numbers he's been putting up is amazing, and its a good thing the White Sox are having a hell of a year, or this board would be calling for Kenny's head!

I wonder how well we would be doing if we still had Lee. We would still have to be pretty solid with Buehrle and Garland pitching the way they have been, but damn Lee's 60 some RBI's would look good on the Southside. (This allExcluding the fact that we used the money to get Iguchi AJ and El duque.)

I'm guessing we would end up in September the same place we always do though. Watching the Twins in October. Great to see Carlos do well though, and maybe once Frank retires and Carlos is a free agent he will rejoin the Southsiders and finish his career here.

Hangar18
06-24-2005, 10:29 AM
I don't miss him one bit. He was always just a supporting character--the Maude Flanders of the Sox, if you will.

Well, im sure youve noticed that were a "supporting-character" away in RF.
Ive had enough of the alleged defensive prowess, under-hitting Jermaine Dye
out there. Then again, maybe its the chemistry? please hit more jermaine

Flight #24
06-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Well, im sure youve noticed that were a "supporting-character" away in RF.
Ive had enough of the alleged defensive prowess, under-hitting Jermaine Dye
out there. Then again, maybe its the chemistry? please hit more jermaine

I had to double check the date on this post, and I believe there must be something wrong with the datestamping software on the site. Because as of 6/24, Jermaine was at .266 with 14HR, and was at .275/7HR in May and .364/4HR so far in June. That's not Carlos Lee's #s, but I'd classify that as WAY better than a "supporting character". So this must have been posted back in April.

Barring a return to his horrible start, Dye's on pace for 35+HR, he's killing us!!!

mjharrison72
06-24-2005, 11:09 AM
I had to double check the date on this post, and I believe there must be something wrong with the datestamping software on the site. Because as of 6/24, Jermaine was at .266 with 14HR, and was at .275/7HR in May and .364/4HR so far in June. That's not Carlos Lee's #s, but I'd classify that as WAY better than a "supporting character". So this must have been posted back in April.

Barring a return to his horrible start, Dye's on pace for 35+HR, he's killing us!!!
I thought the same thing... he got off to a slow start, but Dye is starting to show some flashes of his brilliant past.