PDA

View Full Version : Memo to Sox pitchers this weekend: pitch around Derrek Lee

cheeses_h_rice
06-23-2005, 03:09 PM
He's 3-3 today with 2 HRs and is hitting an ungodly .394. Without him, the Flubs' team BA would be .261 instead of .275.

Everyone else on that team is relatively mortal. Don't give Lee anything to hit, unless the lead is insurmountable.

Chicago83
06-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Yeah, this guy is unbelievable. I am sure Freddy and Jose are smart enought to pitch around him. When they were talking about the triple crown and .400 earlier in the year I was laughing, but it's becoming more likely. He's still at .394 this late. It's too bad all of his efforts are wasted on the cubs.

RallyBowl
06-23-2005, 03:15 PM
Don't pitch around him. Pitch right at him. This guys numbers are inflated because of the weak ass pitching he sees on a day to day basis. our pitchers , if they are on their game, should dominate him.

chisoxfan64
06-23-2005, 03:17 PM
It`s amazing to me that all these teams pitch to him. Who are they afraid of thats hitting behind him? I think I`d rather take my chances with someone else.

Chicago83
06-23-2005, 03:17 PM
3-3 to homers today against Ben Sheets. Pitch around him. I'll take a man on first against Burnitz over nobody on and Lee. He's murdering the ball and doesn't show any signs of cooling off, while the rest of the cubs lineup is not very impressive.

Cowhead418
06-23-2005, 03:18 PM
About the Triple Crown, I think Lee will have the highest AVG because his lead is just too large at this point to be overtaken. I don't think he will have the highest RBI or HR totals but I think he will be up there. There is one simple reason I do not want Lee to win the Triple Crown - it will be all the media will focus for the next 20 years and beyond, regardless of any White Sox World Series victories. I still can't believe that he is doing this well and hasn't gone into a slump yet. If our pitchers can keep him under control we should sweep easily. If they can't, we will win 2 out of 3 so either way I'll be happy. A third sweep in a row would be the cherry on top though.:cool:

The Racehorse
06-23-2005, 03:22 PM
I'd prefer to see our pitchers go right at him, especially Contreras. There's something to the cliche think long, think wrong.

batmanZoSo
06-23-2005, 03:22 PM
He's 3-3 today with 2 HRs and is hitting an ungodly .394. Without him, the Flubs' team BA would be .261 instead of .275.

Everyone else on that team is relatively mortal. Don't give Lee anything to hit, unless the lead is insurmountable.

That's basically it. I'm shocked he only has 38 walks. Why are all these idiots pitching to him all the time? He's having a year almost like Bonds in 01.

JohnBasedowYoda
06-23-2005, 03:25 PM
i think freddy is due for one of his ace starts...please let me be right.

MRKARNO
06-23-2005, 03:28 PM
He's having a year almost like Bonds in 01.

It's more like Helton's 2000 season than Bonds' '01.

Helton 2000 .372 AVG 42 HR 147 RBI .463 OBP .698 SLG 103 BB 61 K

FielderJones
06-23-2005, 03:29 PM
I have to agree with cheeses on this one. Why sweat one runner every third inning? Don't give him anything to hit, maybe he'll even get frustrated and swing at junk. Make one of the rest of that mediocre team beat you. In all likelihood, they won't.

lostletters
06-23-2005, 03:32 PM
The trick to Derick Lee is not to pitch him over the plate. The White Sox seem to be the only team that has handled him well, largely because they pitched him inside.

D. Lee is one of those guys that has good extension on his arms and gets most balls over the plate or outside a little bit.

JC and Garcia were good at pitching him inside last time, and as a result did not get hurt.

I think the key to pitching him, is not being afraid to hit D. Lee with a pitch.

The thing is, nobody else in Major League baseball has figured this out yet.

Frater Perdurabo
06-23-2005, 03:33 PM
Just throw at him.:duck:

:tongue:

The Racehorse
06-23-2005, 03:34 PM
The trick to Derick Lee is not to pitch him over the plate. The White Sox seem to be the only team that has handled him well, largely because they pitched him inside.

D. Lee is one of those guys that has good extension on his arms and gets most balls over the plate or outside a little bit.

JC and Garcia were good at pitching him inside last time, and as a result did not get hurt.

I think the key to pitching him, is not being afraid to hit D. Lee with a pitch.

Coop, is that you? ... seriously, I'm all for keeping Derek Lee's feet moving in the batters box.

SOXSINCE'70
06-23-2005, 03:35 PM
I walk his sCrUBbie ass every AB.I know Burnitz and Ramirez can
beat the Sox,but I show Derrek "God" Lee NOTHING he can hit.:angry:

Cowhead418
06-23-2005, 03:35 PM
I love how we're discussing how to beat a player instead of a team.:tongue:

PAPChiSox729
06-23-2005, 03:41 PM
About the Triple Crown, I think Lee will have the highest AVG because his lead is just too large at this point to be overtaken. I don't think he will have the highest RBI or HR totals but I think he will be up there. There is one simple reason I do not want Lee to win the Triple Crown - it will be all the media will focus for the next 20 years and beyond, regardless of any White Sox World Series victories. I still can't believe that he is doing this well and hasn't gone into a slump yet. If our pitchers can keep him under control we should sweep easily. If they can't, we will win 2 out of 3 so either way I'll be happy. A third sweep in a row would be the cherry on top though.:cool:

Yeah, he is absolutely on fire, but winning the Triple Crown would be extremely difficult. He will probably win the batting title, along with the MVP, but I think that will be it. Getting back on topic, I do not want to see Lee pitched to because he is the only real offensive threat that they have.

CYGarland20
06-23-2005, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about Derek Lee. He did all he could for the cruds today, and their still down in the 9th inning 8-6 to the BREWERS!! :roflmao:

FielderJones
06-23-2005, 03:46 PM
I love how we're discussing how to beat a player instead of a team.:tongue:

I think you misunderstand. We are discussing how to beat a team. Don't let their horse kill you.

Ol' No. 2
06-23-2005, 03:47 PM
I love how we're discussing how to beat a player instead of a team.:tongue:Pretty much the same thing. He's all there is. Beat him, beat the Cubs.

Jjav829
06-23-2005, 03:50 PM

Lee's hitting everything. You can try to bust him inside all you want, but he can turn on anything at this point. He's opened up his stance and can handle inside pitching very well. Remember, he absolutely crushed a few balls in the Friday game that died because of the wind. I sure wouldn't say that Freddy dominated him. If Lee hits the same in the Cell tomorrow like he did in the Friday game at the Urinal, he'll have a couple homers. I wouldn't say pitch around him all the time. Jeromy Burnitz, while obviously not Lee, is still a threat. I don't think you can decide now how to pitch him. You let the situation dictate how Lee is handled. The Sox pitchers certainly shouldn't let Lee beat them in big situations though.

CYGarland20
06-23-2005, 03:54 PM
BTW, Lee just flied out to end the game in Milwaukee. Cruds lose 8-7 :D:

StepsInSC
06-23-2005, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about Derek Lee. He did all he could for the cruds today, and their still down in the 9th inning 8-6 to the BREWERS!! :roflmao:

The BrewCrew is no pushover this year.

CYGarland20
06-23-2005, 03:56 PM
The BrewCrew is no pushover this year. I believe their offense is last in the league though

cheeses_h_rice
06-23-2005, 03:58 PM

Why did they pitch to him with first base open?

SOXSINCE'70
06-23-2005, 03:58 PM

:) :) :)

The Racehorse
06-23-2005, 03:59 PM
Why get beat by nibbling? Generally, that's when pitchers get into trouble. I'm not saying throw BP fastballs to Lee and let him put it in play, but our pitchers have demonstrated really good stuff this year... why take a chance on pitching around one guy then suddenly walking the next two after that... I'd like to see our guys go right at Derek Lee with their best pitches.

With Dye & PK hitting for better averages, along with Frank unleashed, the offense is coming around... if our pitchers give up two Derek Lee solo bombs per game while shutting down the rest of the Cubs line-up, while throwing their best stuff, I'll take it.

CYGarland20
06-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Why did they pitch to him with first base open?Actually there was a runner on first.

elrod
06-23-2005, 04:17 PM
There was a runner on first for the last AB. Then Lee crushed a line drive right at Carlos Lee who caught it as it started sinking.

The only way to beat Lee is to throw at him. And I mean AT him. If he yanks it down the line then so be it but don't give him anything to hit. Don't go for the head or anything, just far enough inside to get the wheels turning. You HAVE to knock him off his pedestal where he's confident and in a groove. We got under his skin the last series and he made a series of mental blunders on the basepath.

Hangar18
06-23-2005, 04:22 PM
Yeah, this guy is unbelievable. I am sure Freddy and Jose are smart enought to pitch around him. When they were talking about the triple crown and .400 earlier in the year I was laughing, but it's becoming more likely. He's still at .394 this late. It's too bad all of his efforts are wasted on the cubs.

Can you imagine if the Marlins had the money ....... and KEPT Derrek Lee?
The cubs would have Hee Flop Choi at first grounding out regularly. Still
cant get over that trade. Dumb.

cheeses_h_rice
06-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Can you imagine if the Marlins had the money ....... and KEPT Derrek Lee?
The cubs would have Hee Flop Choi at first grounding out regularly. Still
cant get over that trade. Dumb.

But then the Sox might not have beaten the Dodgers last Saturday because they would have had a first baseman not afraid to reach out into the dugout to catch Pierzynski's foul ball.

:)

The Wall
06-23-2005, 04:42 PM
Player AB R H RBI BB K AVG Sox pitcher of note
D. Lee 3 0 0 0 0 0 .354 W-F. Garcia
D. Lee 4 0 1 1 0 1 .351 W-J. Contreras
D. Lee 2 1 1 0 1 0 .353 L-Vizcaino

Lee was just 2-for-9 with a walk and an RBI in that entire series. ITs not like he teed off on the rookie either. Come on, Those numbers are pretty ordinary in the earlier series AT HOME. Why would we want to do anything different when he is on the road this time? I would NOT put the four fingers up. Pitch to him. Lets trust our staff...we know they are pretty good and its not like we have to face Teddy Ballgame at the plate.

cheeses_h_rice
06-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Player AB R H RBI BB K AVG Sox pitcher of note
D. Lee 3 0 0 0 0 0 .354 W-F. Garcia
D. Lee 4 0 1 1 0 1 .351 W-J. Contreras
D. Lee 2 1 1 0 1 0 .353 L-Vizcaino

Lee was just 2-for-9 with a walk and an RBI in that entire series. ITs not like he teed off on the rookie either. Come on, Those numbers are pretty ordinary in the earlier series AT HOME. Why would we want to do anything different when he is on the road this time? I would NOT put the four fingers up. Pitch to him. Lets trust our staff...we know they are pretty good and its not like we have to face Teddy Ballgame at the plate.

It seems to me that Lee is particularly locked in right now. Don't intentionally walk him, but pitch to his weaknesses, and take the walk if it happens.

fquaye149
06-23-2005, 04:50 PM
The BrewCrew is no pushover this year.

They're not as good as they seem. They are playing in the comedy central, after all. Their pitching is all right, however.

This is coming from a guy whose 2nd favorite team is the brewers and lives in wisconsin. They have a promising young squad and good pitching (and apparently a good pitching coach in maddux) but they are in a rebuilding stage. period. They're a lot like the 2002 Jndjans

batmanZoSo
06-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Lee's hitting everything. You can try to bust him inside all you want, but he can turn on anything at this point. He's opened up his stance and can handle inside pitching very well. Remember, he absolutely crushed a few balls in the Friday game that died because of the wind. I sure wouldn't say that Freddy dominated him. If Lee hits the same in the Cell tomorrow like he did in the Friday game at the Urinal, he'll have a couple homers. I wouldn't say pitch around him all the time. Jeromy Burnitz, while obviously not Lee, is still a threat. I don't think you can decide now how to pitch him. You let the situation dictate how Lee is handled. The Sox pitchers certainly shouldn't let Lee beat them in big situations though.

This takes me back to my cubbie friends complaints when I was at that game. I asked them this--how did Dye and Crede hit theirs out if the wind was blowing so hard?

It's hard to tell from the side how a pitcher's working a batter, but whatever Freddie did it worked pretty well. Just keep the ball down, bust him way inside and give him some chin music from time to time. Either he gets frustrated and starts chasing or he walks. Let him walk.

TaylorStSox
06-23-2005, 05:14 PM
But then the Sox might not have beaten the Dodgers last Saturday because they would have had a first baseman not afraid to reach out into the dugout to catch Pierzynski's foul ball.

:)

Am I the only one who remembers that we were tied at the point?

cheeses_h_rice
06-23-2005, 05:52 PM

No. I said the Sox "might not have won", not that they would have lost. There's a difference.

If Choi catches AJ's popup, the game goes into extra frames. The Sox still might not have won.

DumpJerry
06-23-2005, 06:07 PM
I was there. When I thought the foul would be caught (I was in 154, no way to tell where it was), I knew we would win in the 10th since we had the MoJo on our side.

TaylorStSox
06-23-2005, 06:22 PM
No. I said the Sox "might not have won", not that they would have lost. There's a difference.

If Choi catches AJ's popup, the game goes into extra frames. The Sox still might not have won.

I misread that. Sorry. :redface:

wsbaseball9
06-23-2005, 06:41 PM
It seems to me that Lee is particularly locked in right now. Don't intentionally walk him, but pitch to his weaknesses, and take the walk if it happens.

it sounds like a plan other than at this point it doesnt seem like he has any 'weaknesses' at the plate, he couldnt turn on inside pitches last year and now he cranks them, he can hit anything outside due to his long arms

w/e i hate nibbling around the strike zone in fear
to jose, go right at him with the fastball if u get hit u get hit its baseball and hes streaking theres nothing anyone can say

to freddy use the strategy you used at coors, changeups low
itll work and we'll get the brooms out

StockdaleForVeep
06-23-2005, 06:43 PM
....didnt we pitch to him at wrigley and pretty effectively shut him down?

Optipessimism
06-23-2005, 10:44 PM
They're not as good as they seem. They are playing in the comedy central, after all. Their pitching is all right, however.

This is coming from a guy whose 2nd favorite team is the brewers and lives in wisconsin. They have a promising young squad and good pitching (and apparently a good pitching coach in maddux) but they are in a rebuilding stage. period. They're a lot like the 2002 Jndjans

They have a really bright future, IMO. Weeks looks like he is going to be a stud, Hall is having a great year so far, and Fielder will not be in the minors for too much longer. Their pitching staff is one the most underrated staffs in game and they are all young. I just hope they get a real RF and send Branyan's happy ass to any team that will give them a bag of peanuts. Other than that, Clark and Lee have been STUDs thusfar, although I'd kind of like to see Clark moved to hit second behind a true leadoff type hitter. It will be sad to see Overbay leave when that day comes.

Rocklive99
06-23-2005, 10:59 PM
He hit some stuff pretty hard against off, that either got caught or it looked like the wind aided it, I remember some base hits too. The NL maybe weak, but they can't be that stupid, I can't explain the low walk numbers but I'm sure they've tried pitching him inside. Depending on the situation, I'd say pitch around. Bottom of the 1st, 2 out, I'd go after him though.