PDA

View Full Version : North Side team raises ticket prices.

Jerry_Manuel
11-17-2001, 03:44 PM
I loved the section in bold.
From The Trib:
The Cubs are raising ticket prices—again.

In a letter sent to season ticket-holders this week, the Cubs announced a price hike that will boost the cost of almost every seat at Wrigley Field.

Bleacher tickets will rise from $20 to $24, terrace and upper-deck boxes go from $23 to $26 and some club boxes will surge from $30 to $36.

The Cubs also raised prices after the 2000 season. Before then bleacher tickets cost $15 and club boxes went for $25. That's a 60 percent increase for the bleachers and a 44 percent increase for the club boxes over two seasons.

In the letter announcing the new prices, the Cubs said that despite drawing 2.8 million fans this past season, the team finished 13th out of 30 major-league teams in overall attendance. It also said that the team's average ticket price ranked 11th "despite our small seating capacity."

It certainly won't rank 11th next year.

"We have decided to rescale our ticket prices to more accurately reflect demand and proximity consistent with other stadiums," director of ticket operations Frank Maloney wrote in the letter.

The Cubs included maps and pricing plans of eight other ballparks, including Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park and Pacific Bell Park.

Most bleacher seats at Pac Bell sell for $10, but the Giants' new ballpark is inundated with advertising. Top box seats at Yankee Stadium go from $37 to $65, but bleacher tickets cost only $8.

Fenway Park, with baseball's smallest capacity of 33,991, charges $18 and $20 for bleacher seats. Wrigley Field holds 39,059.

The least expensive seats remain upper-deck reserved, which will increase to $12 from $10.

As was the case in previous years, the Cubs will offer half-price tickets on seven "value dates." Those are weekday (excluding Friday) afternoon games from April 9 to May 23.

CLR01
11-17-2001, 03:47 PM
So by raising the ticket price they hope to increase overall attendance?

FarWestChicago
11-17-2001, 03:50 PM
If they really want to make money, they should raise the beer price by one penny. They'll make a fortune.

Jerry_Manuel
11-17-2001, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by CLR01
So by raising the ticket price they hope to increase overall attendance?

This from the Suntimes article on the prices:
The decision comes as the Cubs lost money this season and its parent company, Tribune Co., announced wage cuts for its top executives and wage freezes for others in all its subsidiaries.

Yeah right they lost money.

GASHWOUND
11-17-2001, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
If they really want to make money, they should raise the beer price by one penny. They'll make a fortune.

LOL!

GASHWOUND
11-17-2001, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

This from the Suntimes article on the prices:
The decision comes as the Cubs lost money this season and its parent company, Tribune Co., announced wage cuts for its top executives and wage freezes for others in all its subsidiaries.

Yeah right they lost money.

Thats hillarious. Next thing they'll say is that Reinsdorf is piss poor broke.

ExSoxFan
11-18-2001, 12:15 PM
This is just proof that even a nameless, faceless corporate ownership is out to screw the baseball fan out of every penny it can!
My favorite line in that article - and it's sad because it's true - is that the Cubs "consider the bleachers to be premium seating, because they're the most sought after tickets" ( or something to that effect ).
That's the Cub "fan" element that I hate! It's trendy to sit in the bleachers, so they'll pay $24 a head to cram onto a piece of aluminum, instead of getting an actual SEAT for your money! Stoooo-pid!
I always get upper-deck reserved behind home plate - there's no better deal for the price!

:chunks

...never seen THAT on my out of Wrigley!!!