PDA

View Full Version : Albert Belle

Deadguy
06-23-2005, 02:51 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050622mitchell,1,4357862.column?coll=cs-whitesox-utility

This may have already been posted elsewhere, but found it somewhat interesting, since I've always viewed Albert as some sort of an enigma. I don't think I have ever hated a player more than I hated Albert when he was with the Indians, and besides FT, I don't think I had a more favorite player while he was in a White Sox uniform. I was devastated when he left in 1998.

Some interesting tidbits:

"Even though I played for a short period of time (roughly 10 full seasons), my numbers are pretty good. In my opinion, I should have two MVP awards."

We know about 1995, but what other year is he referring to? 1996? 1998?

"I don't want to get involved in sports as a coach or manager. I want to go straight to ownership. Can't get fired that way," Belle said with a laugh.

"I have a great relationship with Jerry Reinsdorf, who lives out here in Arizona [during the winter]. Mr. Reinsdorf was very instrumental in helping me get involved with the Cavaliers, giving me advice and putting me in touch with the right people."

I found this somewhat interesting, for many reasons. First, why get involved in Cleveland sports? He's probably less popular there than Art Modell.

The relationship with Reinsdorf also raised at eyebrow or two.

Also, how much money has this guy accumulated by now? Albert's smarter than most people probably give him credit for, as he finished 5th in his class in high school, and was an Accounting Major at LSU. I figure he's probably the antithesis of Cecil Fielder, and has probably made many wise investments from the 97 million he made playing baseball (according to baseball-reference.com). I'm wouldn't be surprised if he was worth over 150 million by now. Sports ownership, however, isn't necessarilly a terrific investment opportunity, unless you are involved in buying the right kind of franchise.

Tekijawa
06-23-2005, 02:55 PM
Sports ownership, however, isn't necessarilly a terrific investment opportunity, unless you are involved in buying the right kind of franchise.

A previously bad and now young team with one of the most marketable young talents to come along in a long time... He didn't get in on the Ground floor of the Cleveland Cavalers but I can't imagine that theres too much down side as long as MR. JAMES is in a Cav's Uni.

The Racehorse
06-23-2005, 03:16 PM
Albert Belle maybe underrated in the brains department, but he's definitely overrated in the nice guy department... he's had some serious anger management issues.

Not that he HAS to be a nice guy or anything.

And the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame is as close as he'll get to MLB's HOF... his numbers just aren't good enough.

PatK
06-23-2005, 03:34 PM
I think it's funny that he wasn't considered for MVP in 1998, when he had a monster 2nd half and finished pretty close to winning the triple crown in the AL.

Of course, he wasn't on the North Side, where talk of that today is commonplace.

doublem23
06-23-2005, 04:10 PM
Yeah... His second half of 1998 was one of the most remarkable things I've ever seen... He couldn't get out if he tried; driving the ball to the gaps nearly every time he was at the plate.

steff
06-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Albert Belle maybe underrated in the brains department, but he's definitely overrated in the nice guy department... he's had some serious anger management issues.

LMAO... :roflmao: