PDA

View Full Version : This is a no-brainer

DumpJerry
06-23-2005, 03:06 PM
So, I heard an ad on the radio today. It is a woman who says what "I have seen." Then proceeds to describes highlights in the history of the Flubs over the past 91 years (all five highlights) and then says "I am Wrigley Field." "She" mentions seeing Maddux get his first Cy Young award, something about Santo and other players.

I think we need to list what she forgot to tell us "she" has seen in her history of being Wrigley Field. I know, this is like shooting fish in a barrel, but it will be entertaining. I'll start.

"She" has seen:
1. Fans starting fights with the visiting players in the Bullpen during a game.
2. A massive choke job in 1969.
3. An even more massive choke job in Game 7 in 2003.

Ok, have at it.:D:

elrod
06-23-2005, 03:14 PM
Leon Durham and the pre-Buckner Buckner
Lee Elia telling the truth about Cub fans
Daily idiocy

scottjanssens
06-23-2005, 03:42 PM
A team that saw fit to trade Jon Garland and Dontrelle Willis.

SOXPHILE
06-23-2005, 03:50 PM
"30 years of not having back to back above .500 seasons"

"2 90+ loss seasons in the last 5 years"

"Thousands and thousands of people filling my stands, with absolutely no idea what's going on out on the field"

"No World Series Championship. Ever."

"I am Wrigley Field ! Come feel the history !"

daveeym
06-23-2005, 05:05 PM
How about what she's felt???

Gallons of urine running down my steps.

Chunkloads of vomit on my seats.

hose
06-23-2005, 05:09 PM
She has seen the Mens room at Wrigley because the line is to long at the Womens.

DumpJerry
06-23-2005, 05:09 PM
How about what she's felt???

Gallons of urine running down my steps.

Chunkloads of vomit on my seats.
:kneeslap: :roflmao:
I thought about that, but wanted to start clean.......

There is also "my cement disintegrating from the acid in the urine....."

Then there is "empty seats after the 7th inning because the bars across the street are still open"

Not to mention "people who really know baseball wearing the other team's jerseys."

hose
06-23-2005, 05:12 PM
"I never seen the concrete chunks coming"

SOXSINCE'70
06-23-2005, 05:15 PM
I have seen Gary Sheffield and Dodger bench players go into the stands
after a dumb ass fan who had to grab Chad Kreuter's batting helmet in 2000.

I also saw Shawn Green hit a home run that won that game
for the Dodgers 6-5.:) :)

cheeses_h_rice
06-23-2005, 05:17 PM
3. An even more massive choke job in Game 7 in 2003

The Bartman game was Game 6, btw, though they did blow a lead in Game 7 as well.

Just not as spectacularly.

:)

Tekijawa
06-23-2005, 05:23 PM
"I've seen a guy get shot across the street"

RallyBowl
06-23-2005, 05:25 PM
"I've seen the best manager in baseball's car parked across the street at McDonalds."

ChiWhiteSox1337
06-23-2005, 05:27 PM
I've seen the Cubs all time home run leader Sammy Sosa's corked bat explode.

Hendu
06-23-2005, 05:32 PM
"I didn't see a goat in the 40's and people will not shut up about it."

RallyBowl
06-23-2005, 05:33 PM
"I've seen nothing because of the huge concrete pillar in my way."

DumpJerry
06-23-2005, 05:33 PM
The Bartman game was Game 6, btw, though they did blow a lead in Game 7 as well.

Just not as spectacularly.

:)
I know. I feel that Game 7 was a bigger choke because it was loss number three in a row and the end of the road. In Game 6, there was always the cushion of Game 7 in case it did not work out. I remember my fears going into Game 6 that "we have Prior and, if needed, Wood for Games 6 and 7, we can't lose" was the chant from the Flubs' fans. Wood himself gave them a lead with his homer and then loaded up the bases on walks before giving up the Grand Salami that send Ozzie Guillen to the World Series. Choke, choke, choke. Also, since there are no excuses offerred about Game 7 (i.e., the players and Baker cost them the game and not a fan or goats), it is a bigger choke job.

spawn
06-23-2005, 05:38 PM
"Moises Alou peeing on his hands"

"Cub players getting into verbal spats with Cub announcers"

"Dusty Baker not being able to control his players"

Fredsox
06-23-2005, 06:09 PM
A team that saw fit to trade Jon Garland and Dontrelle Willis.

Don't forget Lou Brock.....

RallyBowl
06-23-2005, 07:45 PM
"I saw Ryne Sandbergs wife with many different men."

shoota
06-23-2005, 08:43 PM
"I've seen nothing because of the huge concrete pillar in my way."

:rolling:

FielderJones
06-23-2005, 09:35 PM
So, I heard an ad on the radio today. It is a woman who says what "I have seen." Then proceeds to describes highlights in the history of the Flubs over the past 91 years (all five highlights) and then says "I am Wrigley Field."

Doesn't this essentially make our case? The Cubune Company markets a ballpark, not a baseball team.

C-Dawg
06-23-2005, 10:13 PM

I think that in general the right-thinking Cub fans blame Bartman for the losses in both Game 6 and 7. Or possibly it was Steve Stone's fault. Anything but a choke job by the players.

TheOldRoman
06-23-2005, 11:11 PM
I think that in general the right-thinking Cub fans blame Bartman for the losses in both Game 6 and 7. Or possibly it was Steve Stone's fault. Anything but a choke job by the players.
Nah, definately the goat.

DumpJerry
06-24-2005, 12:56 AM
Doesn't this essentially make our case? The Cubune Company markets a ballpark, not a baseball team.
I think it is a combo. They are marketing the experience of being in The Urinal by playing up the baseball experiences and not the Frat House experience.

Hey Brooks: Run the following radio ad: "If you want to live in the past, there's a place on Addison for you. They want you talk about the past..... If you want to experience the here and now big time so you can tell your children and grandchildren about, come to the White Sox!"

tebman
06-24-2005, 01:20 AM
Oh, man...I heard that commercial for the first time tonight. What a mawkish piece of drivel. The soaring music, the oh-so-serious woman reading the lines, the shameless allusions to the Statue of Liberty. *****!

This really is a no-brainer; I've got some:

I've seen committees of coaches trying to make a lineup.
I've seen spite tarps on my outfield fence.
I've seen my scalpers selling tickets.
I've seen a Hall of Fame infielder stuck for decades on losing teams.
I've seen Dave Kingman try to play Left Field.

Bah.

Foulke You
06-24-2005, 01:40 AM
My turn!

I've seen two steroid pumped freaks in McGwire and Sosa make a mockery of Roger Maris's HR record in 1998

I've seen an infield that has waist high grass and standing water that won't drain after the smallest of rain storms

I've housed some of the worst hot dogs prepared in the Chicago area

I've had fans pay more to sit across the street on a rooftop than to actually sit inside the ballpark

I've flown the "L" flag more times than I can count

I finally got lights over 50 years after the death of Thomas Edison

hawkeyesox17
06-24-2005, 02:52 AM
Let me try!!

I've seen drunk college boys do everything execpt watch the game

I've seen people wearing hardhats in the stadium in fear of their well-being

And finally...I've seen fans give a standing ovation to a steroid guzzling, corked bat swinging moron.

This is The Urinal

SomebodyToldMe
06-24-2005, 03:18 AM
I've flown the "L" flag more times than I can count

That's the winner hands down!!

PeteWard
06-24-2005, 03:54 AM
I've heard thousands of schoolkids in the late 60's and early 70's scream shrilly as one when in a clutch situation Santo hit--another pop-up to the 1st baseman.

Those same brats chanting "We wanna Hit We wanna hit" at such an annoying pitch that a hardened captured wehrmacht commando would crack and give up the panzer positions if you could "Just Make Dem schtop!"

I've heard Ol' Muffinhead's angst-ridden bellow of, "Oh No!" as still another one got away.

I've heard Milo Hamilton a disturbing amount of times admire Lenny Randle's muscles.

But I've never, ever heard Lou Boudreau pronounce "De Jesus" correctly.

I've seen Kingman trip over the bullpen pitcher's mound and fly face first in the dirt as the pop foul landed a few feet from his flapping, impotent glove.

...way, way, too many of Arnie's *&%$# hat shots.

... tons and tons of human blubber in the bleachers in August.

Jim West!

Don Young bobble away the pennant.

And Durocher and Santo classlessly blaming him afterwards on the 10th Inning.

Jose Cardenal refuse to play because of a "sticky eyelid".

Herman Franks.

Dan H
06-24-2005, 07:55 AM
I've seen fans give a player a standing ovation after he deserted the team when they were doing bad, saw they had improved the next season, and came back to jump on a bandwagon that never really existed.

I've seen Cubs fans almost devour one of their own because he tried to catch a foul ball in the stands.

I've seen one choke job after another.

DumpJerry
06-24-2005, 09:30 AM
Those same brats chanting "We wanna Hit We wanna hit" at such an annoying pitch that a hardened captured wehrmacht commando would crack and give up the panzer positions if you could "Just Make Dem schtop!"
Post of the Year! Hilarious!

davenicholson
06-24-2005, 10:05 AM
"I saw Ryne Sandbergs wife with many different men."
OMG! :rolling:

daveeym
06-24-2005, 10:25 AM
"I hear dead people...

Really dead people that still can't believe how bad the team sucks."