PDA

View Full Version : KW looking to upgrade in the starting rotation?

lostletters
06-23-2005, 01:34 PM
I know it was in the Cubune.

But it was discussed earlier that Roy Oswalt was a possibility. How possible do you think this is? I know we would probably have to give up quite a bit for this guy, but I also think it may be worth it. It would give us 3 young aces in the rotation.

So is a major surprise on the way from KW regarding a starting pitching? Are Sox going to be adding another Ace to our rotation? As it stands I think that is the only trade the White Sox would make.

White Sox Josh
06-23-2005, 01:37 PM
link please?

Ol' No. 2
06-23-2005, 01:44 PM

But it was discussed earlier that Roy Oswalt was a possibility. How possible do you think this is? I know we would probably have to give up quite a bit for this guy, but I also think it may be worth it. It would give us 3 young aces in the rotation.

So is a major surprise on the way from KW regarding a starting pitching? Are Sox going to be adding another Ace to our rotation? As it stands I think that is the only trade the White Sox would make.I don't know Oswalt's contract status, but he's in his fifth season, so he won't be eligible for FA until after 2006. I don't see Houston trading him. About now you start to see all sorts of silly trade speculation, but it's all just barroom talk.

Cubbiesuck13
06-23-2005, 01:47 PM
Buerhle, Garcia and now Garland is pitching like an ace as well. That's three. It's great isn't it? Three aces.

If it ain't broke...

The only trade I see happening is a bench player with speed.

Brian26
06-23-2005, 01:48 PM

So is a major surprise on the way from KW regarding a starting pitching? Are Sox going to be adding another Ace to our rotation? As it stands I think that is the only trade the White Sox would make.

Good grief, our starting pitching would be unstoppable in a short-series playoff situation. That's almost sick to think about.

Brian26
06-23-2005, 01:49 PM
Buerhle, Garcia and now Garland is pitching like an ace as well. That's three. It's great isn't it? Three aces.

If it ain't broke...

Kenny's been quoted, though, as saying "teams that sit on their asses don't win championships". Kenny won't be a Ron Schuler aka '93 or 2000. He may just roll the dice and roll big.

He gone
06-23-2005, 01:49 PM
I just heard the Sox are going to announce today that they have traded Brandon Mc Carthy, Arnie Munoz and Mike Spidale to Houston for Roger Clemens :o:

:redneck Just kidding :bandance: :bandance:

shaunburnette
06-23-2005, 01:57 PM
OK I will be ready to take cover after everyone starts throwing comments my way but what about Tom Glavine? Supposedly he is available or going to be by the deadline. El Duque would be a great addition to our bullpen to maybe replace Vizcaino and Glavine would be a great #5 guy with all kinds of experience. I am guessing the price would be one of our 2 highly acclaimed OF prospects but I would be willing to part with that for Glavine.

Brian26
06-23-2005, 02:02 PM
OK I will be ready to take cover after everyone starts throwing comments my way but what about Tom Glavine?

Not a bad idea, but the Mets aren't completely out of it quite yet. I don't see them white-flagging it this year after signing Pedro and Beltran in the offseason. Although they have four teams to jump over, they're only 7.5 out of the NL East lead, which isn't TERRIBLE this time of year.

RallyBowl
06-23-2005, 02:04 PM
I am usually the first one to say "make no trades this year", but a stud starting pitcher would be hard to pass up. what no one seems to take into account is that we really haven't been hit by the injury bug at all. if we do, and it is a position player, I think we have guys who can step up. if it is a pitcher, though, we might have a tough time, as our pitching has carried us. I really don't want to see any trades made, but like I said, a stud pitcher would be hard to complain about. I was starting to think that KW would stand pat, but now, especially with Duque's situation, I'm not so sure he will.

ATXBMX
06-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Oswalt would be awesome, but he's a little guy that throws heat, making him injury prone. If that were to happen, Anderson and McCarthy plus maybe someone else would have to go. The Astros need OF help, and Anderson could provide that. Oswalt is signed through the '06 season. He's owed 5,900,000 this year.

The Mets already have too many outfielders, and Glavine has been streaky this year. The Mets would have to eat a lot of contract, he's due 10,765,608.

Cubbiesuck13
06-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Kenny's been quoted, though, as saying "teams that sit on their asses don't win championships". Kenny won't be a Ron Schuler aka '93 or 2000. He may just roll the dice and roll big.

To get a star we would have to give up prospects (I don't mind) and a young MLB ready player (I can't think of any that I don't mind on this team). If he does "go big" then it better work it this year. I think that we can win consistantly over the next few years with the type of team we have. If he does 'go big' and it doesn't work then the make up may be changed to the point where the next years will not be as successfull. The only changes I see coming are in the off season and they have to do with high-priced corner infielders.

Clearly, KW knows more than anyone here and I am going to have to trust any moves he makes but I have this dream of being in the playoffs as often as Cleveland was during their run. The only difference is that I see us winning a few World Series' rings. I just hope he doesn't go for broke this season.

shaunburnette
06-23-2005, 02:08 PM
Not a bad idea, but the Mets aren't completely out of it quite yet. I don't see them white-flagging it this year after signing Pedro and Beltran in the offseason. Although they have four teams to jump over, they're only 7.5 out of the NL East lead, which isn't TERRIBLE this time of year.

Maybe not, but if they fall another 2 or 3 games back before the deadline, I would guess they might be open to talks.

Glavine's 2005 stats:

4-7 5.06ERA 42K's 34BB

Not too great. But history shows this guy coming on stronger in the 2nd half. And the 39 year old might just be a little extra rusty and take awhile to get going. I dont recall him ever having any injury problems. The Mets on the otherhand should get something out of him / for him while they can. If it isnt going to be this year, Sweeney or Anderson running around in their outfield next to Beltran in 2006 might be something that would get them the division they want and make the money they are paying for Beltran worth it. It is not like Glavine will be better next year.

Now contract wise, this might change everything. If Glavine is signed to a high contract for next year there is no way Kenny goes after him. Just not his style.

batmanZoSo
06-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Good grief, our starting pitching would be unstoppable in a short-series playoff situation. That's almost sick to think about.

Whatever it takes.

I don't want to hear the cliche "if it ain't broke..." That doesn't apply here. Sure, nothing's broke, but we have weaknesses and can stand an upgrade here or there like any team. This team is for real, but a lot of our 49-22 record is good fortune. We've had the ball bounce our way a lot and that's not taking anything away from us. KW's went out and made big moves in the past for Sox teams that weren't nearly as likely to win it all as this one, so why shouldn't he go for it now?

Hendu
06-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Maybe not, but if they fall another 2 or 3 games back before the deadline, I would guess they might be open to talks.

The Mets are hard to figure out. Just when it seemed like they were out of it last year, they surprised everybody by picking up Benson & Victor Zambrano at the deadline. Their ownership is really sensitive to the PR aspect of these types of deals.

veeter
06-23-2005, 05:20 PM
Pablo Ozuna and Willie Harris are TWO bench players with speed.

Optipessimism
06-24-2005, 12:01 AM
Oswalt is under contract through 2006 and is paid 11mil that year. The salary is the only reason that I could possibly see for the Astros to even think of dumping him, but it's not like this guy would be hard to unload at the close of the 2005 season or at the trade deadline in 2006. To me, unless they were blown out of the water by some fantastic deal (Rowand+Marte+Anderson+McCarthy type) that none of us would be willing to make, he is staying in Houston. As much as I'd love to see him in a Sox uniform, Houston doesn't care. It makes much more sense for them to at least use the rest of the 2005 season to further assess their organizational needs before unloading the guy that will give them by far the greatest payoff.

So, on to the Clemens rumors...

Hendu
06-24-2005, 12:10 AM
Oswalt is under contract through 2006 and is paid 11mil that year. The salary is the only reason that I could possibly see for the Astros to even think of dumping him, but it's not like this guy would be hard to unload at the close of the 2005 season or at the trade deadline in 2006. To me, unless they were blown out of the water by some fantastic deal (Rowand+Marte+Anderson+McCarthy type) that none of us would be willing to make, he is staying in Houston. As much as I'd love to see him in a Sox uniform, Houston doesn't care. It makes much more sense for them to at least use the rest of the 2005 season to further assess their organizational needs before unloading the guy that will give them by far the greatest payoff.

So, on to the Clemens rumors...

I wouldn't be that surprised to see the Astros trade both Oswalt and Clemens and go into total rebuilding mode. Not saying I think it'll happen, but it's possible. They definitely had their best shot last year and are going to be bad for the next few years anyways with the roster they currently have so...who knows.

Ol' No. 2
06-24-2005, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't be that surprised to see the Astros trade both Oswalt and Clemens and go into total rebuilding mode. Not saying I think it'll happen, but it's possible. They definitely had their best shot last year and are going to be bad for the next few years anyways with the roster they currently have so...who knows.I don't see the Astros going into rebuilding mode. Assuming Clemens and Biggio finally hang them up, that's a hell of a lot of payroll money freed up, which they can use on the FA market. They don't have a need to dump Oswalt.

TheOldRoman
06-24-2005, 12:15 AM
I wouldn't be that surprised to see the Astros trade both Oswalt and Clemens and go into total rebuilding mode. Not saying I think it'll happen, but it's possible. They definitely had their best shot last year and are going to be bad for the next few years anyways with the roster they currently have so...who knows.
Houston is not selling unless they tank the next few weeks. They are, get this... 6.5 out of the Wildcard. With Clemens, Petitte, Oswalt, and Backe, they have great pitching. Don't forget Lidge. They have been playing a lot better lately, and will continue to improve as Berkman gets better. I see them going after a bat, not dumping pitching. They could be another bat away from the playoffs again.

Chisox003
06-24-2005, 12:16 AM
Wow....Can you imagine Buehrle, Oswalt, Gacia, Garland in a series??? Holy ****!! Dont even get my hopes up on this one...This is a trade where deep pink does no justice

Oswalt is young, and just primed for a cy young career if he could find a winning team...He is definitely a guy Id be willing to give a few top prospects for...

Plus, it wouldnt even be that bad of a hit....Prospects are just that; prospects, totally unproven...If one of our young OF's are involved, we still have A Row, Pods, and Dye at least signed through next year, possibly the year after (?)
BMac would most likely be involved, which would hurt, but the rotation would be set for the next couple years anyhow

God, this would be THE trade to put us over the top...No more ted lilly or jamie moyer, THIS is the guy we should be going after (Although, if an ace like him isnt available afterall, and El Duque is out for an extended period of time, we may see Mr. Lilly or someone of his caliber in the #5 spot for the time being, which I wouldnt exactly disagree with)

2006, defending champion white sox begin the season with a rotation of Buehrle, Oswalt, Garcia, Garland, Contreras....Oh my goodness :gulp:

Edit: Ya theres no way theyre trading this guy, but it was a nice 3 minute daydream!

beck72
06-24-2005, 07:30 AM
I don't see the Astros going into rebuilding mode. Assuming Clemens and Biggio finally hang them up, that's a hell of a lot of payroll money freed up, which they can use on the FA market. They don't have a need to dump Oswalt.
IIRC, next yr's batch of free agents isn't that deep or talented. That has to factor in with team's that are sellers. Though I think Houston may buy rather than sell