PDA

View Full Version : Off Days Aren't Fun

skottyj242
06-23-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed before but why not rehash it. What does everyone do on an off day? No Sox baseball tonight, I have no idea what I'm going to do with myself. I've been thinking about going to my parents and hanging out with my friends I grew up with. Hairbangers Ball is playing at Bourbon Street tonight.

If this should be in the Parking Lot or somewhere else I apologize.

So what does everyone do on off days?

Brian26
06-23-2005, 11:42 AM
I actually like the off days. I'm very passionate about watching games, and off days give me a much needed emotional break.

scottjanssens
06-23-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm going to a play tonight, Stardust.

spiffie
06-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Reload WSI every 2 minutes looking for new posts about what ESPN or the Windsock said about us.

Mostly catch up with everyone who I have totally ignored over the last 2 months due to the Sox taking up pretty much all of my free time lately, and try to act like I have a life other than going to and from Sox games. Tonight is "Batman Begins" with the GF.

LVSoxFan
06-23-2005, 11:44 AM
Hairbangers' Ball, LOL. I've seen them.

It is weird when the Sox aren't playing. However, what do you do the other six months of the year. Read a book! Write your congressman! Exercise!

Enjoy the lull, because this is going to be a high-intensity weekend. Hate the Cubs or not, they're going to give us a hard time this weekend. And while they don't really matter in the end, this is the finale to see who has bragging rights and they're down 2-1. They're coming to play.

You know what I'm gonna do one of these off nights? Rent the movie Eight Men Out. I read the book but never saw the movie. See? Not Sox, but Sox-related!

skobabe8
06-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Reload WSI every 2 minutes looking for new posts about what ESPN or the Windsock said about us.

Mostly catch up with everyone who I have totally ignored over the last 2 months due to the Sox taking up pretty much all of my free time lately, and try to act like I have a life other than going to and from Sox games. Tonight is "Batman Begins" with the GF.

No teal needed!

I may watch a movie with the GF too, but for some reason, it has to have Vince Vaughn in it. Cant....understand....why......

VeeckAsInWreck
06-23-2005, 11:53 AM
spoken like a true Soxaholic.

I am going to have dinner with my girlfriend, and for the 1st time she will have my undivided attention.

No more conversations that go like this;

Her: Like I was telling you, my dog ran away......

Me: He Gone!

skobabe8
06-23-2005, 11:57 AM

I am going to have dinner with my girlfriend, and for the 1st time she will have my undivided attention.

:rolling: I can relate to that!

Stroker Ace
06-23-2005, 12:09 PM
I usually go out to dinner or go out with my friends.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-23-2005, 12:13 PM
:rolling: I can relate to that!

Thanks,

I've also had this one;

Her: So one of my old friends from high school sent me an email....

Me: I love email!

I love speaking in Hawkisms.

robiwho
06-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Last night I found myself just sort of wandering around the house unsure of what to do... the kids were in bed, husband was still at work. I just didn't know what to do with a baseball free evening. :tongue: Tonight we'll be watching a movie and getting ready for the weekend!

skottyj242
06-23-2005, 12:25 PM

I'm going to have to use that one. I know I've used the I love e-mail line before too. It's just a natural reaction.

whitesoxwilkes
06-23-2005, 12:37 PM
:bandance: It's poker night!

:gulp:

lostletters
06-23-2005, 12:47 PM
I am addicted to white sox baseball.

The off days are like going through withdrawal.

Baby Fisk
06-23-2005, 12:48 PM
read books
do laundry
pay bills
try to have a social life

Sad
06-23-2005, 12:50 PM
rented some DVD's
mow the lawn
eat leftover lasagna... something like that...

The Wall
06-23-2005, 12:50 PM
umm...will think about responding to all those job offers made to me in the past week :(:

Frater Perdurabo
06-23-2005, 12:52 PM
Actually work.

:)

white sox bill
06-23-2005, 01:02 PM
Well hopefully our boyz can rest up for weekend vs flubs. Hopefully brew crew will take them to 17 innings and flubs will lose on CLEE walk off homer!

SOX ADDICT '73
06-23-2005, 01:03 PM
The worst part about an off-day is having to endure all the ridiculous trade speculation threads on WSI. :kukoo:

Frater Perdurabo
06-23-2005, 01:06 PM
The worst part about an off-day is having to endure all the ridiculous trade speculation threads on WSI. :kukoo:

Are you kidding? I so very much look forward to those threads. Really I do.

skottyj242
06-23-2005, 01:08 PM
We get to do it again Monday.

The Racehorse
06-23-2005, 01:09 PM
Work on my middle-aged spread... maybe trim my beard & stache... hey, you asked. :)

LauraJ14
06-23-2005, 01:11 PM
We get to do it again Monday.

Monday is Sox day at the Taste of Chicago, from 11:30am to 1pm, Freddy, Willie and Brandon will be signing autographs.

cubhater
06-23-2005, 01:43 PM
Mow the lawn when I get home this afternoon, then picking up a friend at Midway who will probably be the first ever Devil Ray fan to see him team at The Cell next week.:redneck

Of course, lot's of:gulp: tonight to ease my Sox withdrawl.

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2005, 02:46 PM
I'll be doing laundry in a few, actually...For those of you willing to help me do my laundry, I'll be at the Laundrymat on 31st and Parnell.

I've also gotta get things for my business trip to Austin, as well as run a couple other Aarons...

Huisj
06-23-2005, 02:57 PM
I'll be doing laundry in a few, actually...For those of you willing to help me do my laundry, I'll be at the Laundrymat on 31st and Parnell.

I've also gotta get things for my business trip to Austin, as well as run a couple other Aarons...

You mean you spend your off days watching highlights of Aaron Rowand? cool.

scottjanssens
06-23-2005, 03:01 PM
You mean you spend your off days watching highlights of Aaron Rowand? cool.

That's a risky construction. I usually say "I have some errands to do".

Hendu
06-23-2005, 03:06 PM
I actually like the off days. I'm very passionate about watching games, and off days give me a much needed emotional break.

Agreed. I really like off days following games that we won. Gives my heart a break after all the 1-run games and come-from-behind wins that have been so common this season.

I'll probably pour a nice glass of chardonnay and eat some brie while reading poetry like the rest of the people who live on the north side. :redneck

ShoelessJoeS
06-23-2005, 03:07 PM
i agree completely, except the whole likeing the off days thing :redneck

scottjanssens
06-23-2005, 03:09 PM
I'll probably pour a nice glass of chardonnay and eat some brie while reading poetry like the rest of the people who live on the north side. :redneck

Hey man, don't be knocking brie or poetry. There is, of course, no such thing as a nice glass of chardonnay. I have it on high authority that all wine wants to be red.

mealfred13
06-23-2005, 03:12 PM
Well I've got class Tuesday and Thursday nights, so I enjoy the Sox day off by NOT missing a game due to class. Can't argue with that.

VeeckAsInWreck
06-23-2005, 03:16 PM

If Chardonnay=Beer, Brie=Nachos, and poetry= Veeck:As In Wreck by Bill Veeck. Then, we'll be doing the exact same thing. :?:

aniceItch
06-23-2005, 03:17 PM
I save all school work for days off. Soo, tomorrow I got a midterm on 12 chapters of a textbook. Guess I should start reading!

Hopefully Ill be out of the exam in time to see the start of the game!

batmanZoSo
06-23-2005, 03:25 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed before but why not rehash it. What does everyone do on an off day? No Sox baseball tonight, I have no idea what I'm going to do with myself. I've been thinking about going to my parents and hanging out with my friends I grew up with. Hairbangers Ball is playing at Bourbon Street tonight.

If this should be in the Parking Lot or somewhere else I apologize.

So what does everyone do on off days?

Question asked, question answered--talk about how there's nothing to talk about.

chisoxfan64
06-23-2005, 03:34 PM
I`m gonna go to the bar with some buddies and talk White Sox baseball.

Hendu
06-23-2005, 03:35 PM
Hey man, don't be knocking brie or poetry. There is, of course, no such thing as a nice glass of chardonnay. I have it on high authority that all wine wants to be red.

Sorry, wasn't trying to knock brie or poetry, but the yuppies who are taking over (and soon will price me out of) my neighborhood.

And yes, red wine is where it's at.

batmanZoSo
06-23-2005, 03:40 PM

Brie sucks, it has no flavor. :cool:

SOXSINCE'70
06-23-2005, 03:41 PM
I'm rehearsing with my band tonight.My heart needs the night off.:D:
Emotionally,I need the rest.

scottjanssens
06-23-2005, 03:44 PM
Sorry, wasn't trying to knock brie or poetry, but the yuppies who are taking over (and soon will price me out of) my neighborhood.

I know, I was mostly kidding. It wasn't sarcasm so teal didn't seem right, and none of the smilies seemed appropriate.

scottjanssens
06-23-2005, 03:45 PM

You've been eating bad brie. :cool:

scottjanssens
06-23-2005, 03:45 PM
You've been eating bad brie. :cool:

You can tell it's an off day, sheesh.

The Racehorse
06-23-2005, 03:46 PM

Really? I've never tried it. I like my cheese with a little kick... would brie & hot sauce be a good combo?

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2005, 05:38 PM

Try Finlandia Vodka mixed in cranberry juice and Sprite topped with Reddi Whip!

Realist
06-23-2005, 05:52 PM

I live on Augusta and Damen [just a stones throw from you] and I've been living here for 14 years. When I first moved here there was tons of poetry reading venues in our neighborhood. Now that all the friggin' yuppies have moved in there's no more poetry, but there's a Starbucks nice and close. Great.

scottjanssens
06-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Really? I've never tried it. I like my cheese with a little kick... would brie & hot sauce be a good combo?

Anything and hot sauce is a good combo!

Palehose13
06-23-2005, 06:38 PM
Got to leave for a softball game in a bit and after that drink myself into oblivion...I need to make sure that I set the alarm, though...can't be late for tomorrow's game!!!

brewcrew/chisox
06-23-2005, 07:10 PM
I golfed 9 holes and watched the Brewcrew beat the Cubs! :cool:

Hendu
06-23-2005, 07:17 PM
I live on Augusta and Damen [just a stones throw from you] and I've been living here for 14 years. When I first moved here there was tons of poetry reading venues in our neighborhood. Now that all the friggin' yuppies have moved in there's no more poetry, but there's a Starbucks nice and close. Great.

True. Well at least it looks like the Double Door will stay open (for now) and Banana Republic will have to find another location. Usually the cool, cheap bars are the first to go when property values skyrocket as they have here. Now if they touch the Empty Bottle, I'm definitely going to have to make a move.

BigHurt9394
06-23-2005, 07:27 PM
smoking pot and drinking are fun off day activities, the faster you pass out the quicker the cubs series starts. oh, and those are fun activities regardless or time and space.

wsbaseball9
06-23-2005, 08:16 PM
its really sad for me sometimes...usually when i dont know for sure if its off day or not, and no one can do anything on this night so im home alone but i saw to myself 'at least i can watch the sox'

and then when i find out its an offday with nothing to do with my friends i either crawl into a ball and cry for hours on end or pop in a DVD

soxjim
06-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Had the day off from work and no SOX game, what is one to do?
Watch the cubs get beat. Way to go C. Lee
Swam in the apartment pool. Good looking ladies.
Played softball. Won 23-2.
Currently watching the pirates and the cardinals. Pirates lead.

whtsx1959
06-23-2005, 08:35 PM
On off days when the game should be on I find myself walking around the house aimlessly.

Thursday TV is awful.
Everyday TV is awful.

I miss Friends

Also, played tennis for an hour and a half

ilsox7
06-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Hairbanger's Ball rocks.

CubsSuckSoBad
06-23-2005, 09:02 PM
I'll have to watch this dreaded NBA Finals game 7....

Could this scoreboard move any sssssllllloooooooooooower....

jake27
06-23-2005, 09:14 PM
normally i would frolf or basketball or something outside with some friends. but after working outside all day today, i just stayed inside with the A/c and watched some tv

guillen4life13
06-23-2005, 09:22 PM
Ugh!

The one night off I have, the Sox have also.

D'oh!

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-23-2005, 09:26 PM
i watched Revenge of the Jedi :redneck

SOXfnNlansing
06-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Monday is Sox day at the Taste of Chicago, from 11:30am to 1pm, Freddy, Willie and Brandon will be signing autographs. Will Chad be there also?

daslobo
06-23-2005, 09:57 PM
I've pulled every Jedi mind trick I know to talk my wife out of every house we've looked at on the NW side (you don't like this house... you do want to move to the South Side) and we're finally starting to look there. I'm looking East of Halstead and between 31st and 36th. Anyone know any other good areas to scout out?

BTW - I grew up with the chick from Hairbangers Ball. A few years ago I was walking down the hallway in my building in Bucktown and she was moving in like 6 doors down. I've since moved around the corner but what a small world.

chisoxfanatic
06-23-2005, 10:01 PM
I'm looking East of Halstead and between 31st and 36th. Anyone know any other good areas to scout out?

That's a very good area. But, if you're willing to wait a year or so before moving, Bronzeville's gonna be Bridgeport's little brother in real estate.

mike squires
06-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Cleaned some house

played a little guitar

played with my little girl (I do that during a Sox game too...)

Watered the new grass we just planted

Posted on WSI

That being said, I hate off days.:D:

Jurr
06-23-2005, 10:16 PM
Oh....here's something to think about on your off day...

At the Sunday night game, I saw the greatest jersey EVER.

Someone had a custom made Magglio jersey. The jersey looked perfectly authentic, except the name plate read, " HE GONE!"

Awesome.

Hendu
06-23-2005, 11:01 PM
Finally got a chance to sit down and watch Dogtown and Z-Boys, the documentary on the birth of modern skateboarding. I received it from Netflix more than a month ago but haven't had time to watch it.

FoulTerritory
06-23-2005, 11:42 PM
I live in Philly, and I went to see Wilco downtown on the landing. No better way to spend an offnight.

brewcrew/chisox
06-23-2005, 11:48 PM
Don't see too many Mods posting on this thread.

Guess it's because they don't really get an "Off Day", not here anyway.

skottyj242
06-24-2005, 10:41 AM
True. Well at least it looks like the Double Door will stay open (for now) and Banana Republic will have to find another location. Usually the cool, cheap bars are the first to go when property values skyrocket as they have here. Now if they touch the Empty Bottle, I'm definitely going to have to make a move.

Man Hendu, me you and Realist are probably three blocks from each other we should get together and go to Lottie's and watch a game sometime. I live right across from Wicker Park, pretty much right down the street from the Double Door/Pontiac Cafe.