PDA

View Full Version : Cy Young Predictor: Buehrle and Garland in virtual tie for 1st

MRKARNO
06-23-2005, 11:15 AM
In case you've never seen this before, about a year ago, Bill James and Rob Neyer created this formula based on past Cy Young voting results (NOT on who they think would necessarily be Cy Young. Wins and Losses are the most important factors in this formula) to predict who the Cy Young winner would be. It can be found here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/cy

Right now, Garland is number 1 and Buehrle is number 2, both at 95.8 points. :D:

chitownhawkfan
06-23-2005, 11:20 AM
The only thing thats not calculated in this formula by Bill James is how Garland and Buerhle pitch on the South Side and outside of the Daily Southtown, and I dont think they get a vote nobody cares/likes/acknowledges the Sox. Although Garland should get it he wont. I mean our own hometown newspapers dog us, whether it be the Cubune or loser Mariotti's weekly diatribe against the Sox, either way we are ten games up and the media can eat it.

:andy

PAPChiSox729
06-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Right now, Garland is number 1 and Buehrle is number 2, both at 95.8 points. :D:

It's awesome to see that our staff has two of the top Cy Young contenders in the league. It really is a testament to how good this staff is. Honestly though, I am kind of pulling for Mark to win it.
:D:

FredManrique
06-23-2005, 01:57 PM
In case you've never seen this before, about a year ago, Bill James and Rob Neyer created this formula based on past Cy Young voting results (NOT on who they think would necessarily be Cy Young. Wins and Losses are the most important factors in this formula) to predict who the Cy Young winner would be. It can be found here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/features/cy

Interesting analysis. Presumably, our guys will have +12 point bonus for winning the division, which Halladay is unlikely to have.

One thing this fails to consider is if the pitcher has won it in the past. With the way voting has gone the last ten years or so (multiple awards for Clemens, Johnson, Maddux, Martinez, Glavine... ) I think they should give bonus points if the guy has already has a Cy Young in his trophy case.

Still, I like our guys' chances. It's great to see a number of pitchers having good years after the steriod era.

daveeym
06-23-2005, 02:20 PM
Dude, there's obviously something wrong with that. The Northside team has the best rotation of all time and none of them are even in the top ten.

Wanne
06-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Personally....I'd rather see Burhle win it. My reasoning is I think Burhle has the mentality to handle the pressure of going into the next season as a Cy Young winner alot more than Garland who would shoulder an enormous burden with expectations if he won it.

ShoelessJoeS
06-23-2005, 03:04 PM
It's awesome to see that our staff has two of the top Cy Young contenders in the league. It really is a testament to how good this staff is. Honestly though, I am kind of pulling for Mark to win it.
:D:
id have to agree. buerhle has been the man for the past three or four years and never gets any credit from the media...its time for people to recognize mark for the ace that he has been the last couple years, top ace in the al that is! :cool: