PDA

View Full Version : First two innings will be played "virtually"...?!??

StepsInSC
06-23-2005, 09:14 AM
http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/11944265.htm

The first two innings of the July 16th game between the Kansas City T-Bones and the Schaumburg Flyers will be played virtually.

Equipped with Microsoft Xbox game controllers instead of baseball gloves and bats, two video gamers will climb into recliner chairs around home plate at CommunityAmerica Ballpark and slug it out on the park’s 16- by 24-foot video screen.

Their scores from playing two innings of MVP Baseball 2005 on an Xbox will stand when the T-Bones and Flyers take the field to finish the last seven innings of the game.

MIgrenade
06-23-2005, 09:29 AM
That's ridiculous.

Cubbiesuck13
06-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Is this Bud's idea? Hey 'Bud', we ain't the NBA. No gimmicks, just baseball please.

Tekijawa
06-23-2005, 09:59 AM
OK... let's say for some god awful reason they did this for a Sox game. Obviously the two people who compete would be Sox fans since I doubt the away team is holding try outs to represent them... if I get the chance to play I'm talking to the other guy I'm playing and I'm saying... Listen who ever doesn't get the Sox is to pitch the ball right down the middle! I don't know about the rest of you but I could beat the computer by about 90 runs a game in these games and he would actually be trying to get me out. what's to stop some one from Setting the home team up with 100+ runs going into the 3rd?

Rocklive99
06-23-2005, 10:34 AM
Thumbs Down!

downstairs
06-23-2005, 10:41 AM
I wonder if virtual injuries also still count?

Guy hurts his leg on the video game, they take a bat to it in real life?

cleanwsox
06-23-2005, 10:50 AM
This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of.

The Dude
06-23-2005, 11:10 AM
This sounds like a Mike Veeck promotion!

fquaye149
06-23-2005, 11:14 AM
it's a minor league game for God's sake. Give them a break - they're just trying to put asses in the seats.

Don't they have promotions some places where they let fans PLAY an inning or something?

Is this any worse than dollar beer? (and by worse I mean dollar beer is awesome!)

Stroker Ace
06-23-2005, 12:15 PM
it's a minor league game for God's sake. Give them a break - they're just trying to put asses in the seats.Exactly. I think this is a funny idea. I would like to see a 30+ run lead when the players take the field.

Rocklive99
06-23-2005, 12:29 PM
it's a minor league game for God's sake. Give them a break - they're just trying to put asses in the seats.

Why would people want to see that though, especially those who paid tickets to watch baseball? I think it will piss off the asses that are already in the seats!

Iwritecode
06-23-2005, 12:29 PM
It's almost as bad as the stunt that (Mike Veeck?) pulled by not allowing any fans into the stadium for the first 7 innings so they could record an official game with zero attendance.

Cubbiesuck13
06-23-2005, 12:36 PM

Don't they have promotions some places where they let fans PLAY an inning or something?

Is this any worse than dollar beer? (and by worse I mean dollar beer is awesome!)

I go to many AAA games and I love it. I feel that the baseball being played in the minors is how it was in the old days. The only difference is the managers. Some are so bad I can't believe it.

Edit: I forgot the point

The point is, real baseball fans don't need the ploys to bring them to the game. The love of the game does that but we understand the need to have a silly mascot and to do something every middle-inning to bring out families and what not. The best thing that can happen is that those casual fans start to become real baseball fans and continue to study the game. What this ploy does is the opposite of that and that is why I think it is a dumbass move. I hope those poor genuine fans stop going to the games all together and find another team.

NonetheLoaiza
06-23-2005, 06:42 PM
I don't like this idea at all. I mean, what about the players. If I was on one of those teams, and I was sitting in the dugout for two innings watching two jokers play a video game that STANDS, I would be upset.

PAPChiSox729
06-23-2005, 07:37 PM
I don't like this idea at all. I mean, what about the players. If I was on one of those teams, and I was sitting in the dugout for two innings watching two jokers play a video game that STANDS, I would be upset.

I agree. This idea is a horrible promotion. This better be the last of it we see. I am hoping this whole thing falls right on its face.
:thud:

jake27
06-23-2005, 09:42 PM
bad idea, fans are getting cheated out of 2 innings of real baseball. i can play mvp 2005 myself or go to my local gamestop and watch some kids play it there if i really wanted to. the article said that there was an auction onebay to make 3,000 bobbleheads of yourself and that would be passed out at a game. while if i got one of those i wouldnt keep it, i would LOVE to have my own bobbleheadout there.

mjmcend
06-23-2005, 10:00 PM
I wonder if virtual injuries also still count?

Guy hurts his leg on the video game, they take a bat to it in real life?

In the same vain, due virtual stats count as well. If some computer guy hits 17 homeruns, does that count for the real player?

Ol' No. 2
06-23-2005, 10:45 PM
Why would anyone pay to see this?:?:

brewcrew/chisox
06-23-2005, 11:43 PM

Maybe they could pay in virtual money.

Drink virtual beer under a virtual sun.

and have a virtually good time

Ol' No. 2
06-23-2005, 11:45 PM
Maybe they could pay in virtual money.

Drink virtual beer under a virtual sun.

and have a virtually good timeDon't you mean e. e. cummings?

brewcrew/chisox
06-23-2005, 11:59 PM
Don't you mean e. e. cummings?

Ha. Of course you are right. I've made the necessary changes. Good to see someone got the joke though.

NonetheLoaiza
06-24-2005, 09:32 AM
yea...brew crew...best sig ever. I laughed pretty hard...:D:

RKMeibalane
06-24-2005, 10:35 AM
So, if Player X hits five home runs in this game, do his stats count?

RKMeibalane
06-24-2005, 10:36 AM
In the same vain, due virtual stats count as well. If some computer guy hits 17 homeruns, does that count for the real player?

Beat me to it. :cool:

JB98
06-24-2005, 02:59 PM
So, if Player X hits five home runs in this game, do his stats count?

What about the pitchers? Let's say one of the starters throws seven innings of no-hit ball. Does he take the loss because the idiot playing the video game gave up 10 runs in the second inning?

Milw
06-24-2005, 09:43 PM
I'd pay in a heartbeat to see it ... it's goofy and fun.

Obviously, there's no place for it at the Major League level, or even in affiliated minor leagues ... but this is the freaking independent Northern League. Lighten up and laugh a little! :D:

StillMissOzzie
06-28-2005, 02:04 PM
This is from today's Double Take column of the Tribune:

The Northern League will NOT approve the promotion where the KC T-Bones play the Schaumburg Flyers for 2 innings on Xbox. Northern League Commissioner Mike Stone, who had originally signed off on the idea, (my emphasis) said, "Any promotion that could effect the outcome of a regular season game is not permissable."

1) I'm glad to see that sanity reigns, but *** was he thinking when he originally approved the idea.
2) He says he doesn't want any promotions that would effect a regular season game. I guess that still makes it alright for post-season play, though!

SMO
:gulp:

DaleJRFan
06-28-2005, 02:24 PM
I kick ass at that game. How do I sign up??? :cool: